Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Paramount film you'd like to see on TCM

I would love for TCM to show Calcutta (1947);   this is the only Ladd 40s noir\crime film I haven't seen.    Also has the always interesting Gail Russell, and pairs Ladd again with William Bendix. 

Calcutta Poster.jpg

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would love for TCM to show Calcutta (1947);   this is the only Ladd 40s noir\crime film I haven't seen.    Also has the always interesting Gail Russell, and pairs Ladd again with William Bendix. 

Calcutta Poster.jpg

Good choice!

I forgot June Duprez was in it. I just watched her in something else this morning. Great British actress.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Calcutta Poster.jpg

Calcutta was released on Blu-Ray last year as part of a Noir set, so maybe if we are lucky Eddie will show it some time.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Film-Noir-The-Dark-Side-of-Cinema-IV-Blu-ray/270189/

• Like 2

Clara Bow in "Kick In". This was her last Paramount film before her breakdown. I saw it years ago at Film Forum and she was fantastic.  The film itself had been restored and was in pristine condition. 

• Like 2

The Henry Aldrich movies. Paramount made eleven of them,   two with Jackie Cooper and nine with Jimmy Lydon as Henry.  These movies were a staple on local TV programming during my youth in the late 1950's & 1960's.  Not big budget blockbuster movies,  just a lot of fun.

Henry_Aldrich_Haunts_a_House_poster.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RickeyH1956 said:

The Henry Aldrich movies. Paramount made eleven of them,   two with Jackie Cooper and nine with Jimmy Lydon as Henry.  These movies were a staple on local TV programming during my youth in the late 1950's & 1960's.  Not big budget blockbuster movies,  just a lot of fun.

Henry_Aldrich_Haunts_a_House_poster.jpg

Have these films ever been made available on home video, or on YouTube?

Welcome to TCM City by the way!

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Nip,

Have you ever told us why you like this movie so much?

I guess I find it an interesting slice of deep south domesticity. actually Jack Duval reminds me a lot of my father and in no small way. :lol:

this guy just doan wanna be bothered by his kids or his over the hill wife.  it's almost comedic in spots. so he gets taken out by some teenage trollop pushing his foot on the accelerator and all the poor schmoe can do his yell for his momma.

the end is very sad and melancholy though. I have always found the Duval household decor kinda homey.

:D

if Jack coulda gotten some air conditioning installed it might not have been so bad. he shoulda been looking around for fans.

"you're lucky, virginia. my mother doesn't even care."

Pin on 1950 FILMS

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I guess I find it an interesting slice of deep south domesticity. actually Jack Duval reminds me a lot of my father and in no small way. :lol:

this guy just doan wanna be bothered by his kids or his over the hill wife.  it's almost comedic in spots. so he gets taken out by some teenage trollop pushing his foot on the accelerator and all the poor schmoe can do his yell for his momma.

the end is very sad and melancholy though. I have always found the Duval household decor kinda homey.

:D

if Jack coulda gotten some air conditioning installed it might not have been so bad. he shoulda been looking around for fans.

"you're lucky, virginia. my mother doesn't even care."

Pin on 1950 FILMS

Great post (one of your best on the subject of movies).

I think the melancholy ending is so powerful because of Shirley Booth and how she plays it. 

The ending is of course foreshadowed throughout the picture because we know things are not going to end well for this man, his wife and their family. Still that last sequence really packs a punch and hits you right in the gut.

• Like 1

If I may, there's another Paramount film worth mentioning.

It's THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR (1962) with William Holden.

SCREEN.jpg

It would fit so many different themes on TCM. 

Lilli Palmer has the lead female part. The photo above, with Holden being held captive and reaching out, is from the part where Palmer's character is executed in front of a firing squad. Palmer did such a fantastic job with that death scene, the cast and crew gave her a standing ovation after she fell to the ground and the director yelled "cut."

It really is something TCM viewers should see. A thought-provoking film.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Have these films ever been made available on home video, or on YouTube?

Nope. I have a 16 of HENRY ALDRICH, EDITOR (my vote for the best in the series). But these are buried deep in Universal's Paramount pre-48 group.  There are unauthorized uploads on youtube (GLAMOUR) and at archive.org (HAUNTS).

• Thanks 1

There are a lot of early Paramount talking films that feature Kay Francis (before she signed with Warners),  and especially Jean Arthur (before she signed with Columbia).

Street of Change (1930),  has both actresses along with William Powell (before he signed on with Warner,  for a short time and then with MGM).

Street of Chance 1930 poster.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

There are a lot of early Paramount talking films that feature Kay Francis (before she signed with Warners),  and especially Jean Arthur (before she signed with Columbia).

Street of Change (1930),  has both actresses along with William Powell (before he signed on with MGM).

Street of Chance 1930 poster.jpg

I think Powell went to Warner Brothers after leaving Paramount. He and Kay Francis were both lured away by Warners. A bit later Powell moved over to MGM.

TCM has aired FOR THE DEFENSE (1930) a Paramount film featuring Powell & Francis. Have you seen that one?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Girls About Town with Kay Francis (early George Cukor). Trail of the Lonesome Pine with Sylvia Sidney and Henry Fonda.

TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE is one I'd like to see on TCM as well. It's a must for Beulah Bondi fans.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

Nope. I have a 16 of HENRY ALDRICH, EDITOR (my vote for the best in the series). But these are buried deep in Universal's Paramount pre-48 group.  There are unauthorized uploads on youtube (GLAMOUR) and at archive.org (HAUNTS).

So the Henry Aldrich films have never been digitally restored? Is that what you are saying?

Did any of them air on the old AMC?