Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Paramount film you'd like to see on TCM

TopBilled

1 hour ago, Robertino said:

Why is it I never see 'The Day Of The Locust' in the scheduled rotation nor ever aired on TCM before ? Are they unable to secure the rights? 

the-day-of-the-locust-a-1975-american-drama-film-starring-donald-sutherland-E1GJ9G.jpg

Good question. Some of us have been asking that for awhile...

With the public domain, TCM could now in theory run anything Paramount released in 1926.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paramount_Pictures_films_(1920–1929)

Films from 1926 that are popping out at me include "Moana" and Raymond Griffith's "Hands Up".  "It's the Old Army Game" with WC Fields and Louise Brooks.  Young Ronald Colman in "Beau Geste".  DW Griffith's "The Sorrows of Satan".  WC Fields again with "So's Your Old Man".

"So's Your Old Man" and "Hands Up!" are in the National Film Registry.  I have a bootleg DVD of "Hands Up"...funny movie with a unique solution to Raymond Griffith's love triangle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vidor said:

With the public domain, TCM could now in theory run anything Paramount released in 1926.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paramount_Pictures_films_(1920–1929)

Films from 1926 that are popping out at me include "Moana" and Raymond Griffith's "Hands Up".  "It's the Old Army Game" with WC Fields and Louise Brooks.  Young Ronald Colman in "Beau Geste".  DW Griffith's "The Sorrows of Satan".  WC Fields again with "So's Your Old Man".

"So's Your Old Man" and "Hands Up!" are in the National Film Registry.  I have a bootleg DVD of "Hands Up"...funny movie with a unique solution to Raymond Griffith's love triangle.

I like your thinking. But TCM would have to find 1) broadcast-quality prints and 2) scores for these movies. I'd especially like to see restored version of the Louise Brooks and W.C. Fields titles. And I watched the YouTube copy of The Sorrows of Satan--that desperately needs a restoration, if any good material survives.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I like your thinking. But TCM would have to find 1) broadcast-quality prints and 2) scores for these movies. I'd especially like to see restored version of the Louise Brooks and W.C. Fields titles. And I watched the YouTube copy of The Sorrows of Satan--that desperately needs a restoration, if any good material survives.

They've done it before.  In fact I just started watching my recording of "The Magician" with a TCM-commissioned Robert Israel score.

As noted above "So's Your Old Man" and "Hands Up!" are both in the National Film Registry--so the Library of Congress must have prints, yes?  Anyway, the question was what Paramount films we'd like them to show and these are films they actually *could* show if they wanted.

Hey, next year they could run "It", "Chang", "and Underworld"!

• Like 1

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS has aired on TCM several times in the recent past.  That's how I saw it.  

The 1950 Fred Astaire/Betty Hutton movie LET'S DANCE . . . now that's a title I don't recall ever seeing on TCM.  Maybe I missed it.  I'd be glad to watch "Let's Dance". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS has aired on TCM several times in the recent past.  That's how I saw it.  

The 1950 Fred Astaire/Betty Hutton movie LET'S DANCE . . . now that's a title I don't recall ever seeing on TCM.  Maybe I missed it.  I'd be glad to watch "Let's Dance". 

TCM just showed For Whom the Bell Tolls when Bergman was SOTM.  

5 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

It's too bad that Walter Matthau was only in one of the BAD NEWS BEARS films. He was hilarious at the ill-tempered coach.

Agree. I think the second one suffered with William Devane in the lead. A solid actor but lacking Matthau's charm. For the third one, they signed Tony Curtis who seems a little too out of his element with the material.

If Matthau had been in all of them, they all would have been classics.

• Like 1