Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Paramount film you'd like to see on TCM

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think Powell went to Warner Brothers after leaving Paramount. He and Kay Francis were both lured away by Warners. A bit later Powell moved over to MGM.

TCM has aired FOR THE DEFENSE (1930) a Paramount film featuring Powell & Francis. Have you seen that one?

I have. Sadly (for Kay Francis) Powell didn't stay long at WB and she got stuck with George Brent and Ian Hunter mostly for her leading men.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

So the Henry Aldrich films have never been digitally restored? Is that what you are saying?

Did any of them air on the old AMC?

Whether or not MCA/Universal ever did anything with them is an unknown. But no, they never aired on AMC. It's possible that there may be a literary restriction since they were all based on the characters from the play What a Life by Clifford Goldsmith (Ezra Stone, who played the role on radio, originated Henry on Broadway).

5 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

Whether or not MCA/Universal ever did anything with them is an unknown. But no, they never aired on AMC. It's possible that there may be a literary restriction since they were all based on the characters from the play What a Life by Clifford Goldsmith (Ezra Stone, who played the role on radio, originated Henry on Broadway).

A thought I had is that maybe TCM does not see a purpose in airing them if they are similar to the Andy Hardy movies which they already have in their library. Though it might be interesting to show some Henry Aldrich for comparative analysis.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I think Powell went to Warner Brothers after leaving Paramount. He and Kay Francis were both lured away by Warners. A bit later Powell moved over to MGM.

TCM has aired FOR THE DEFENSE (1930) a Paramount film featuring Powell & Francis. Have you seen that one?

Yes,  Powell did sign with Warner for a very short period,  before signing with MGM.   This was mentioned when TCM showed The Kennel Murder Case just the other day.  

Powell played Vance at Paramount goes to Warner and is asked to play Vance again.    Then he goes to MGM,  and plays yet another detective Nick Charles.   

Powell did get some non-detective roles at WB,  playing criminals, in films like One Way Passage and  Jewel Robbery.

I don't recall seeing For The Defense:  Hopefully TCM will show this again;   can't get enough of pre-code films with stars like Powell and Francis. 

• Like 1

THE WAY OF ALL FLESH (1940) is a good Paramount that I don't think made the rounds of AMC, TNT, or others that showed Universal/Paramount films in the VCR era. My copy is from Loving the Classics and is fairly rough but watchable.

Edited by danthemoviefan
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

CRIME WITHOUT PASSION

crimewp.jpg

I really enjoyed Crime Without Passion when I saw it on public TV in the 80s, but I haven't had another chance since then.  I'd love to see it again.  This was one of only a handful of Ben Hecht-Charles MacArthur productions.

26 minutes ago, danthemoviefan said:

THE WAY OF ALL FLESH (1940) is a good Paramount that I don't think made the rounds of AMC, TNT, or others that showed Universal/Paramount films in the VCR era. My copy is from Loving the Classics and is fairly rough but watchable.

There is no plot description for this one on its wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_All_Flesh_(1940_film)

But I read the plot outline on the page for the 1927 original (which is considered lost) and it seems quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_All_Flesh_(1927_film)

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I have. Sadly (for Kay Francis) Powell didn't stay long at WB and she got stuck with George Brent and Ian Hunter mostly for her leading men.

I have read (where?? the pre-Codes book with Kay's picture on the cover?) that Kay was pleased to have less than stellar leading men so that she was then the star of the movie. That thinking is a little short-sighted because a movie with a top-rank male lead will probably draw more fans and doubles the chance that the film will be remembered.

Not sure if that's true, but since most of her films were "women's pictures" they wouldn't cast Bogie or Cagney opposite her. Plus Warner's was notoriously stingy in casting 2 stars when one could carry the picture. So Brent and Hunter was probably the best she could do as they were basically co-star leading men. She did star with Leslie Howard (once) and Claude Rains (once) She did co-star with Bogie on her way down (and on his way up) with King of the Underworld. (B movie, but good for its type) Her last released WB picture.

28 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The Day of the locust

51CUsEm5qgL._AC_.jpg

HELL, YES! I forgot about that one. I saw it when it came out and NEVER on tv! :(

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

So the Henry Aldrich films have never been digitally restored? Is that what you are saying?

Did any of them air on the old AMC?

I'm not sure if they have been digitally restored, but the fact that none of them have been shown on cable TV or released on video or DVD suggests that they have not been restored. The last time I saw any of them on TV was in 1987-88 when local channel 27 in Worcester, Mass. ran them. And those were old MCA-TV prints that were not in very good shape. I recorded them all though.

And, concerning AMC, I am sure they didn't run any of them.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, BingFan said:

I really enjoyed Crime Without Passion when I saw it on public TV in the 80s, but I haven't had another chance since then.  I'd love to see it again.  This was one of only a handful of Ben Hecht-Charles MacArthur productions.

I managed to tape this and THE SCOUNDREL with Noel Coward on betamax when WNET ran them back then. I've preserved CRIME but I guess I should dig out the beta of SCOUNDREL and transfer that over! Universal is so negligent of so much of their library it's tough to know whether they COULD exploit these or if they just haven't.

2 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I managed to tape this and THE SCOUNDREL with Noel Coward on betamax when WNET ran them back then. I've preserved CRIME but I guess I should dig out the beta of SCOUNDREL and transfer that over! Universal is so negligent of so much of their library it's tough to know whether they COULD exploit these or if they just haven't.

For newbies to classic film, would you mind explaining how Universal is involved with the Paramount library?

Obviously we're discussing Paramount films in this thread, but at some point Universal purchased a chunk of Paramount's catalogue. Yes?

On 2/1/2021 at 6:08 AM, RickeyH1956 said:

The Henry Aldrich movies. Paramount made eleven of them,   two with Jackie Cooper and nine with Jimmy Lydon as Henry.  These movies were a staple on local TV programming during my youth in the late 1950's & 1960's.  Not big budget blockbuster movies,  just a lot of fun.

Henry_Aldrich_Haunts_a_House_poster.jpg

I'd love to see TCM include this series during their Saturday Matinee.  These films are a lot of fun.

BTW - Jimmy Lydon is still kicking at 97!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

I'd love to see TCM include this series during their Saturday Matinee.  These films are a lot of fun.

BTW - Jimmy Lydon is still kicking at 97!

The Henry Aldrich movies get my vote, too.  I've never seen one, but I really enjoy the Henry Aldrich radio program from the 30s-40s on which the movies were based.  The radio program reminds me a lot of the Andy Hardy movies, which I love, and I'd guess that the huge success of that series may have influenced Paramount's decision to make the Henry Aldrich movies.  I'd really like to see the latter!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

I agree! I was thinking of pointing that out too. They'd be just right for a Saturday morning...good family entertainment. Same with the Blondie movies (another series of good fun family movies of which they have already run a few, so they must have the rights to run them all).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

For newbies to classic film, would you mind explaining how Universal is involved with the Paramount library?

Obviously we're discussing Paramount films in this thread, but at some point Universal purchased a chunk of Paramount's catalogue. Yes?

Yes, in 1956 Music Corporation of America purchased the entire Paramount pre-1948 FEATURE film library and syndicated the films to local television stations. When MCA merged with Universal, which I believe was finalized in 1963, Universal became custodian of the Paramount pre-'48's. Unfortunately, the transfer of materials was somewhat haphazard and many of the Paramounts remain in very shabby condition. Paramount had a huge library with an extensive 'B' unit output. Those B's are extant almost exclusively in 16mm former station prints. The Aldrich pictures are part of that group. But, as I said, there may be a literary complication therein.

MCA affixed this logo in front of the Paramount logos on the pre-'48's.

mca_tv.jpg

• Like 5

I'd love to see Peter Ibbetson (1935), with Gary Cooper and Ann Harding. I recorded it off of AMC back in the day but by the time I transferred it from tape to disc years later it was in really rough shape. The cinematography is beautiful and the film as a whole has an ethereal, otherworldly feel. It's a really nice combination of romance and fantasy.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

Yes, in 1956 Music Corporation of America purchased the entire Paramount pre-1948 FEATURE film library and syndicated the films to local television stations. When MCA merged with Universal, which I believe was finalized in 1963, Universal became custodian of the Paramount pre-'48's. Unfortunately, the transfer of materials was somewhat haphazard and many of the Paramounts remain in very shabby condition. Paramount had a huge library with an extensive 'B' unit output. Those B's are extant almost exclusively in 16mm former station prints. The Aldrich pictures are part of that group. But, as I said, there may be a literary complication therein.

MCA affixed this logo in front of the Paramount logos on the pre-'48's.

mca_tv.jpg

Thanks. So when TCM wants to air a Mae West film (made at Paramount before 1948), it has to go to Universal to lease it. 

But if they want to air THE HEIRESS (1949) or NO MAN OF HER OWN (1950) they go directly to Paramount.

I think I understand this now. :) 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I'd love to see Peter Ibbetson (1935), with Gary Cooper and Ann Harding. I recorded it off of AMC back in the day but by the time I transferred it from tape to disc years later it was in really rough shape. The cinematography is beautiful and the film as a whole has an ethereal, otherworldly feel. It's a really nice combination of romance and fantasy.

I think TCM has shown this or am I mistaken? If it was a Paramount loan out, maybe not. (for Harding).