Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Paramount film you'd like to see on TCM

Paramount's biggest moneymakers (1980s & 1990s)

These films placed in the top 10 of their respective years:

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.37.53 PM

AIRPLANE! (1980) with Robert Hays
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981) with Harrison Ford
48 HOURS (1982) with Eddie Murphy
AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN (1982) with Richard Gere
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) with William Shatner
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT (1983) with Shirley MacLaine
FLASHDANCE (1983) with Jennifer Beals
STAYING ALIVE (1983) with John Travolta
TRADING PLACES (1983) with Eddie Murphy
BEVERLY HILLS COP (1984) with Eddie Murphy
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (1984) with Harrison Ford
STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (1984) with William Shatner
FOOTLOOSE (1984) with Kevin Bacon
WITNESS (1985) with Harrison Ford
TOP GUN (1986) with Tom Cruise
CROCODILE DUNDEE (1986) with Paul Hogan
THE GOLDEN CHILD (1986) with Eddie Murphy
FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986) with Matthew Broderick
STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME (1986) with William Shatner
BEVERLY HILLS COP II (1987) with Eddie Murphy
FATAL ATTRACTION (1987) with Michael Douglas
THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987) with Kevin Costner
COMING TO AMERICA (1988) with Eddie Murphy
CROCODILE DUNDEE II (1988) with Paul Hogan
THE NAKED GUN: FROM THE FILES OF POLICE SQUAD! (1988) with Leslie Nielsen
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989) with Harrison Ford

______

GHOST (1990) with Patrick Swayze
THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1991) with Anjelica Huston (co-production with MGM)
WAYNE'S WORLD (1992) with Mike Myers
THE FIRM (1993) with Tom Cruise
INDECENT PROPOSAL (1993) with Robert Redford
FORREST GUMP (1994) with Tom Hanks
CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER (1994) with Harrison Ford
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (1996) with Tom Cruise
TITANIC (1997) with Leonardo DiCaprio (co-production with 20th Century Fox)
DEEP IMPACT (1998) with Robert Duvall
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) with Tom Hanks (co-production with DreamWorks)

Paramount's biggest moneymakers (2000s & 2010s)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2 (2000) with Tom Cruise
WHAT WOMEN WANT (2000) with Mel Gibson
WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) with Tom Cruise (co-production with DreamWorks)
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III (2006) with Tom Cruise
SHREK THE THIRD (2007) with Mike Myers (co-production with DreamWorks)
TRANSFORMERS (2007) with Shia LaBeouf 
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008) with Harrison Ford
KUNG FU PANDA (2008) with Jack Black (co-production with DreamWorks)
MADAGASCAR: ESCAPE 2 AFRICA (2008) with Ben Stiller (co-production with DreamWorks)
IRON MAN (2008) with Robert Downey Jr.
TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN (2009) with Shia LaBeouf

______

SHREK FOREVER AFTER (2010) with Mike Myers (co-production with DreamWorks)
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (2010) with Jay Baruchel (co-production with DreamWorks)
IRON MAN 2 (2010) with Robert Downey Jr.
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON (2011) with Shia LaBeouf
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- GHOST PROTOCOL (2011) with Tom Cruise
KUNG FU PANDA 2 (2008) with Jack Black (co-production with DreamWorks)
MADAGASCAR 3: EUROPE'S MOST WANTED (2012) with Ben Stiller  (co-production with DreamWorks)
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION (2014)  with Mark Wahlberg
INTERSTELLAR (2014) with Matthew McConaughey (co-production with Warner Brothers)
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- ROGUE NATION (2015) with Tom Cruise
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- FALLOUT (2018) with Tom Cruise

I think the phrase "old movie" is an unfortunate expression. 

We don't say "old song" or "old poem" or "old play" or "old book." 

So why do we say "old movie"...?

On 2/19/2021 at 3:53 AM, UMO1982 said:

Remember when TCM used to show old movies?

Films made before 1960. 

Today, tomorrow, and Wednesday:

Captain Blood, The Star, Adam's Rib, Two-Faced Woman, Father of the Bride, Father's Little Dividend, East of Eden, The Brothers Karamazov, Cast a Dark Shadow, Libel, Pride of the Marines, Desination: Tokyo, Air Force, The Fallen Sparrow, Dangerously They Live, Flowing Gold, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Hollywood Canteen, Bad Bascomb, Gentle Annie, Rationing, Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone, The Affairs of Martha, 

• Like 1

The Godfather Trilogy could be TCM premires.

Ferris Buller’s Day Off could be a TCM Premire.

The Naked Gun Trilogy with The Naked 2/1/2 The Smell Of Fear and The Naked Gun 33/3 The Final Insult as TCM Premires.

The Untouchables.and

The Hunt For Red October.

So some of the movies that are on your lists.  I just thought of too.  The Godfather is a true classic.  I’ve never seen it.  But I hear they’re all really good and the first one was part of TCM’s Big Screen Classics Series.  So was Ferris Buller’s Day Off.  Which I went to see.  Really great and really funny movie and I think I actually remember The Untouchables being on here.  So maybe it’s actually been on here quite a few times and Sir Sean Connery’s in it and quite a few famous people and The Hunt For Red October has both Sir Sean Connery and James Earl Jones in it.  Which I also haven’t seen.  But hear it’s really good and I’m not sure it’s ever been on here or not.  But maybe.  So I think these few are great choices.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 5:48 PM, TopBilled said:

Paramount's biggest moneymakers (1960s & 1970s)

PSYCHO (1960) with Anthony Perkins
THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG (1960) with William Holden
HATARI! (1962) with John Wayne
COME BLOW YOUR HORN (1963) with Frank Sinatra
THE CARPETBAGGERS (1964) with George Peppard
ALFIE (1966) with Michael Caine
ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968) with Mia Farrow
THE ODD COUPLE (1968) with Jack Lemmon
ROMEO AND JULIET (1968) with Olivia Hussey
PAINT YOUR WAGON (1969) with Clint Eastwood
GOODBYE COLUMBUS (1969) with Ali MacGraw
TRUE GRIT (1969) with John Wayne

______

I love seeing lists like this because it completely rearranges my ideas of what was and wasn't successful. I was under the impression that The Carpetbaggers and Paint Your Wagon were both box-office bombs. They were certainly panned by most of the critics. I wouldn't have guessed that The World of Suzie Wong and Come Blow Your Horn were quite that popular. The others, definitely. And four Bob Hope films among the top ten for 1941? Wouldn't have guessed that, either.

perhaps the Greatest picture made by Paramount.

"Blasphemers! Idolators!...

for this you shall drink bitter waters.

God has set before you this day his laws of Life and Good and Death and Evil.

those who will not live by the law...shall die by the Law!"

:)

SisQó Compared Seeing His 1st Thong to Moses Seeing God in 'The Ten  Commandments'

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

perhaps the Greatest picture made by Paramount.

"Blasphemers! Idolators!...

for this you shall drink bitter waters.

God has set before you this day his laws of Life and Good and Death and Evil.

those who will not live by the law...shall die by the Law!"

:)

SisQó Compared Seeing His 1st Thong to Moses Seeing God in 'The Ten  Commandments'

"who is on the Lord's side? Let him come to me."

8 hours ago, kingrat said:

I love seeing lists like this because it completely rearranges my ideas of what was and wasn't successful. I was under the impression that The Carpetbaggers and Paint Your Wagon were both box-office bombs. They were certainly panned by most of the critics. I wouldn't have guessed that The World of Suzie Wong and Come Blow Your Horn were quite that popular. The others, definitely. And four Bob Hope films among the top ten for 1941? Wouldn't have guessed that, either.

Yes, Bob Hope had a hot streak in the 40s and 50s and so did Bing Crosby. 

I think the one that surprised me was Alan Ladd. He didn't have a big moneymaker until SHANE, which was his last picture for the studio under contract (he'd come back later for THE CARPETBAGGERS). So Ladd spent ten years making films from LUCKY JORDAN in 1943 to SHANE in 1953, before he had one that earned enough to crack the top ten. 

We tend to think of Ladd as one of Paramount's biggest stars but in reality, Hope and Crosby were much bigger.

As for the 60s, you're right, COME BLOW YOUR HORN did very well with audiences which I find interesting since Sinatra was miscast as a Jewish character. I guess something about the story resonated with moviegoers. 

WAR AND PEACE  was also a big moneymaker though I think it was more successful in Europe than in America.

In the 80s Eddie Murphy was the studio's box office king. And in the 90s/2000s Tom Cruise took over.

Women really did not reign at the box office at Paramount. It was the men.

Sure there were important star actresses like Dorothy Lamour, Betty Hutton, Madeleine Carroll and Veronica Lake. But they were often used in support of the men. And when they were given their own pictures, like Betty Hutton, those did not make as much money.

Hutton's biggest hit was THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH but that had an all-star cast and the real draw was Cecil B. DeMille's ability to present a spectacle, not necessarily the performers. Mr. DeMille had many mega hits at Paramount.

• Like 1

Won Ton Ton, The Dog Who Saved Hollywood.  Starring Madeline Kahn and Bruce Dern and many other stars.  Not a great film, but not as bad as everyone makes it.  It should be on TCM for the many cameos and for a great funny performance from Madeline Kahn who out shines the lackluster script.

won_ton_ton_il_cane_che_salv_hollywood_madeline_kahn_bruce_dern_7b735.webp

Edited by Dommy
Photo didn't take.
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, cody1949 said:

A   MEDAL  FOR BENNY  (1945)

SALTY  O' ROURKE       (1945)

MAN  FROM  YESTERDAY  (1932)

THE REMARKABLE  ANDREW (1942)

I've been curious about SALTY O'ROURKE.

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW used to air on the old AMC. It's pleasant enough and features William Holden near the beginning of his career.

15 minutes ago, alleybj said:

I wonder if they will be harder to obtain once Paramount plus is launched next week.

For those of us not in-the-know, what is Paramount Plus? Is it a new streaming service that will feature classic films?

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW used to air on the old AMC. It's pleasant enough and features William Holden near the beginning of his career.

The best of the 4 that I listed is

A  MEDAL FOR BENNY.

A standout film with a great performance by J.Carrol Naish . Arturo de Cordova and Dorothy Lamour are also in the cast. John Steinbeck was involved in the production and that may be what is holding up its viewing these days. It was shown on cable years ago.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'm a big fan of Salty O'Rourke.   The cast is good with Alan Ladd,  Gail Russell,  William Demarest,  and Stanley Clements,  Spring Byington,  and Bruce Cabot.

Good balance of tension (related to gangster Cabot), romance and comedy (mostly by Demarest similar to how he supported Bogie in All Through the Night).      Stanley Clements really makes an impact as a young man that falls for teacher Gail Russell  (of course Clements is no match for Ladd in the romance department).

Salty O'Rourke FilmPoster.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cody1949 said:

The best of the 4 that I listed is

A  MEDAL FOR BENNY.

A standout film with a great performance by J.Carrol Naish . Arturo de Cordova and Dorothy Lamour are also in the cast. John Steinbeck was involved in the production and that may be what is holding up its viewing these days. It was shown on cable years ago.

Sounds like a winner!

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm a big fan of Salty O'Rourke.   The cast is good with Alan Ladd,  Gail Russell,  William Demarest,  and Stanley Clements,  Spring Byington,  and Bruce Cabot.

Good balance of tension (related to gangster Cabot), romance and comedy (mostly by Demarest similar to how he supported Bogie in All Through the Night).      Stanley Clements really makes an impact as a young man that falls for teacher Gail Russell  (of course Clements is no match for Ladd in the romance department).

Salty O'Rourke FilmPoster.jpeg

Thanks. I figured it would be worth watching with that particular cast. And I'm a fan of Gail Russell, whose movies really don't turn up on TCM.

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

For those of us not in-the-know, what is Paramount Plus? Is it a new streaming service that will feature classic films?

Yes. It’s the transformation of CBS All Access, and it will feature Paramount films, presumably old and new, along with CBS Viacom offerings and other tidbits. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, alleybj said:

Yes. It’s the transformation of CBS All Access, and it will feature Paramount films, presumably old and new, along with CBS Viacom offerings and other tidbits. 

Sounds great. Thanks for the info.