Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Paramount film you'd like to see on TCM

1 minute ago, Dommy said:

The only thing is Universal owns the rights to all Paramount films before 1949.

Right. So my guess is they'll make Audrey Hepburn films available-- things like ROMAN HOLIDAY, SABRINA and BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. Or maybe their idea of classic will be the original STAR TREK films from the 1980s.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dommy said:

The only thing is Universal owns the rights to all Paramount films before 1949.

Not quite true--Paramount did retain a select few of its pre-1950 talkies, and most of its silent films. (I would love to see those silent films restored and paired with accompaniment, but I know better than to hold my breath. At least they have licensed some of them to Kino or other labels.)

• Like 3

Please show Secret Of The Incas with Charlton Heston.  This is another movie that actually inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to make Raiders Of The Lost Ark and the rest of the Indiana Jones franchise.  Charlton Heston’s outfit and hat look just like the one’s Harrison Ford wore too and I just watched the Indiana Jones franchise too.  Great franchise too.  So I would really love to see this film/inspiration and someone on here actually thought of Charlton as the original Indiana Jones.  Neat.  Could anyone find the trailer by any chance?  Charlton Heston was a really wonderful and really amazing actor too.  Wasn’t he?  We all really loved him a whole lot.  Didn’t we?

• Like 1

The Furies

Lil Abner

Lucy Gallant

The Lemon Drop Kid

Rhubarb

Night Has a Thousand Eyes

Scandal Sheet

The Accused ( hasn't been shown in years )

And Now Tomorrow - 

Hot Spell - I think we're all curious about this one LOL 

Henry Aldrich movies - just because I haven't seen them since I was a kid

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.e333af2673083d7cb41368a

Yes, it would be fun to pick out all the locations around here in Sedona this film was shot.

(...and then compare them to all the development that has taken place since 1947)

12 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The Furies

Lil Abner

Lucy Gallant

The Lemon Drop Kid

Rhubarb

Night Has a Thousand Eyes

Scandal Sheet

The Accused ( hasn't been shown in years )

And Now Tomorrow - 

Hot Spell - I think we're all curious about this one LOL 

Henry Aldrich movies - just because I haven't seen them since I was a kid

Excellent suggestions!

3 hours ago, Wayne said:

Road to Rio 1947

Beau James 1957

The Five Pennies 1959

Yeah, BEAU JAMES is a forgotten film. I don't think it's ever aired on TCM.

• 3 months later...

Today I watched the Paramount gem CHINA (1943).

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.34.54 PM

John Farrow directs Loretta Young, William Bendix, Alan Ladd and Philip Ahn in a heartfelt story about the Chinese during WWII.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.36.56 PM

• Like 1

TAKE IT BIG. One of the Pine-Thomas Paramounts with Jack Haley, Ozzie Nelson and Harriet Hilliard. WNBC used to run this back in the late 60's.

• Like 1

Once again, I'd like to watch Thelma Ritter  as Ellen McNulty steal the show in 1951's The Mating Season.  She received her second Supporting Oscar nod (6 noms, no wins) and was billed fourth behind Gene Tierney, John Lund and Miriam Hopkins.  Directed by Michell Leisen for Paramount.

• Like 2

There are 3 films from Paramount that I would like to see on TCM :

AMONG  THE  LIVING

A   MEDAL  FOR  BENNY

SALTY  O'ROURKE

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

There are 3 films from Paramount that I would like to see on TCM :

AMONG  THE  LIVING

A   MEDAL  FOR  BENNY

SALTY  O'ROURKE

Interesting list of films;   I have seen Salty O'Rourke a few times;   Good film with Alan Ladd playing a gambler but one with a heart.    Interesting seeing him paired with Gail Russell.     The supporting cast of William Demarest and Stanley Clements are in fine form.   

Never seen Among the Living,  but it is an early Susan Hayward,  in this mix of a social drama, horror film, and suspense thriller.  Frances Farmer is the other gal in the film.  

Also,  haven't seen A Medal for Benny;  I'm a fan of Dorothy Lamour so even if the plot sounds somewhat uninteresting (one note),  I would tune in.

There are so many of 30s and 40s Paramount films that I wish TCM would show,  but I understand these films can be difficult to obtain.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Interesting list of films;   I have seen Salty O'Rourke a few times;   Good film with Alan Ladd playing a gambler but one with a heart.    Interesting seeing him paired with Gail Russell.     The supporting cast of William Demarest and Stanley Clements are in fine form.   

Never seen Among the Living,  but it is an early Susan Hayward,  in this mix of a social drama, horror film, and suspense thriller.  Frances Farmer is the other gal in the film.  

Also,  haven't seen A Medal for Benny;  I'm a fan of Dorothy Lamour so even if the plot sounds somewhat uninteresting (one note),  I would tune in.

There are so many of 30s and 40s Paramount films that I wish TCM would show,  but I understand these films can be difficult to obtain.  

My possibly naive understanding is that if something was released on DVD as part of the Universal Vault series, then it should be digitally restored and thus able to air on TCM. (Hundreds of Paramount classics from the 30s and 40s have been put on DVD by Universal, which controls this particular library.)

Of course it means said films have to fit TCM's themes and that TCM's programming department is willing to spend money leasing them.

• Like 2

AMONG THE LIVING , I saw about 20 years ago at a theater that loved to show old films. 

SALTY  O'ROURKE might have problems with the estate of Damon Runyon.

A  MEDAL FOR  BENNY might have problems with the estate of John Steinbeck.

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 10.27.27 AM

Loretta is surprised to learn that many of these Paramount films starring Alan Ladd have not yet aired on TCM:

THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942)...12 times
THE GLASS KEY (1942)...25 times
LUCKY JORDAN (1942)...1 time
CHINA (1943)...0 times
AND NOW TOMORROW (1944)...0 times
SALTY O'ROURKE (1945)...0 times
THE BLUE DAHLIA (1946)...27 times
TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST (1946)...0 times
O.S.S. (1946)...0 times
CALCUTTA (1947)...0 times
WILD HARVEST (1947)...0 times
SAIGON (1948)...0 times
BEYOND GLORY (1948)...0 times
WHISPERING SMITH (1948)...7 times
THE GREAT GATSBY (1949)...0 times
CHICAGO DEADLINE (1949)...0 times
BRANDED (1950)...1 time
CAPTAIN CAREY U.S.A. (1950)...0 times
APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER (1951)...0 times
RED MOUNTAIN (1951)...0 times
THUNDER IN THE EAST (1952)...0 times
BOTANY BAY (1953)...0 times
SHANE (1953)...32 times
THE CARPETBAGGERS (1964)...16 times

Loretta helps Alan convince the TCM programmers to make him Star of the Month:

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 10.24.53 AM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 10.27.27 AM

Loretta is surprised to learn that many of these Paramount films starring Alan Ladd have not yet aired on TCM:

THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942)...12 times
THE GLASS KEY (1942)...25 times
LUCKY JORDAN (1942)...1 time
CHINA (1943)...0 times
AND NOW TOMORROW (1944)...0 times
SALTY O'ROURKE (1945)...0 times
THE BLUE DAHLIA (1946)...27 times
TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST (1946)...0 times
O.S.S. (1946)...0 times
CALCUTTA (1947)...0 times
WILD HARVEST (1947)...0 times
SAIGON (1948)...0 times
BEYOND GLORY (1948)...0 times
WHISPERING SMITH (1948)...7 times
THE GREAT GATSBY (1949)...0 times
CHICAGO DEADLINE (1949)...0 times
BRANDED (1950)...1 time
CAPTAIN CAREY U.S.A. (1950)...0 times
APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER (1951)...0 times
RED MOUNTAIN (1951)...0 times
THUNDER IN THE EAST (1952)...0 times
BOTANY BAY (1953)...0 times
SHANE (1953)...32 times
THE CARPETBAGGERS (1964)...16 times

Loretta helps Alan convince the TCM programmers to make him Star of the Month:

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 10.24.53 AM

Wow,   too many zeros here.      I know I have seen Chicago Deadline fairly recently,  but I guess not on TCM.

Many films here I haven't seen that are on my bucket list of Ladd or noir films,   like Calcutta,   where Ladd is reteamed with Gail Russell as a femme fatale. 

Saigon is the final Ladd \ Lake film.    Worst one in the bunch from what I have read,  but still a film I would like to see so I can decide that on my own.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

My possibly naive understanding is that if something was released on DVD as part of the Universal Vault series, then it should be digitally restored and thus able to air on TCM. (Hundreds of Paramount classics from the 30s and 40s have been put on DVD by Universal, which controls this particular library.)

Of course it means said films have to fit TCM's themes and that TCM's programming department is willing to spend money leasing them.

My understanding from a TV executive friend is that Comcast (NBCUniversal) is notoriously difficult to deal with compared to the other studios.

2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

My understanding from a TV executive friend is that Comcast (NBCUniversal) is notoriously difficult to deal with compared to the other studios.

They don't seem to be difficult when TCM wants to run a Mae West film or show a Paramount noir like THE BLUE DAHLIA, or THE HEIRESS with Olivia de Havilland.

I think it boils down to what the programming department is interested in scheduling. 

As I went over this list of Alan Ladd's Paramount movies, it occurred to me just how many of them are "off the radar."

Also, Alan Ladd made films at other studios when he started to freelance in 1953, so there is no reason why TCM can't build a month-long Star of the Month tribute honoring him, and toss in a few Paramount premieres.

If anyone was a bonafide star of the studio era, it was him.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow,   too many zeros here.      I know I have seen Chicago Deadline fairly recently,  but I guess not on TCM.

Many films here I haven't seen that are on my bucket list of Ladd or noir films,   like Calcutta,   where Ladd is reteamed with Gail Russell as a femme fatale. 

Saigon is the final Ladd \ Lake film.    Worst one in the bunch from what I have read,  but still a film I would like to see so I can decide that on my own.

I haven't seen SAIGON yet. In fact, many of these films I have not seen and I am eager to watch them.

One thing we have to say in Paramount's favor is they gave him some good costars:

In the romance drama AND NOW TOMORROW he plays opposite Loretta Young, Susan Hayward, Beulah Bondi and Cecil Kellaway.

In O.S.S. he appears with Geraldine Fitzgerald, Patric Knowles and Bobby Driscoll.

In CALCUTTA, as you mentioned, he costars with Gail Russell and William Bendix.

In WILD HARVEST, he works with Dorothy Lamour, Robert Preston and Lloyd Nolan.

In RED MOUNTAIN he is teamed with Lizabeth Scott, John Ireland and Arthur Kennedy.

In THUNDER IN THE EAST he shares the spotlight with Deborah Kerr and Charles Boyer.

• Like 2