Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doris Day as SOTM March 2021

6 minutes ago, noah80 said:

I think Martin Melcher was credited for Doris' come back with Pillow Talk in 1959 after such flops as Julie, Teacher's Pet, The Tunnel of Love, and It Happened to Jane in the mid and late 1950's. (Melcher was freaking out at this point) 

Afraid the cash cow was drying up, no doubt!

But even when her film career experienced some setbacks from 1956 to 1959 Doris was still recording hit records and receiving extensive airplay on radio stations. I am sure she never had a year from 1948 to 1968 where she wasn't raking it in for ole Marty.

Speaking of Doris' recording career, she introduced Que Sera, Sera in 1956. It zoomed to the top of the charts in the U.S. and the U.K. and became a bonafide hit in many other countries. It was her most successful recording and of course became known as her signature tune. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be)

I was commenting in another thread about Audrey Meadows' great supporting performance in That Touch of Mink and it reminded me of how well Doris played off of other women. Not every top female star could say that. Some seemed only to be able to interact well with other women if there were a clearly defined hierarchy and it was obvious who was the star; they saved all  their energy for "the man." Doris and Audrey were believable roommates. Doris was endearingly bemused by Spring Byington as her mother in Please Don't Eat the Daisies. Her intimacy with Myrna Loy as her aunt in Midnight Lace was clear. She seemed very comfortable with a potentially overwhelming Martha Raye in Jumbo. It's another part of what made Doris so special. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DougieB said:

I was commenting in another thread about Audrey Meadows' great supporting performance in That Touch of Mink and it reminded me of how well Doris played off of other women. Not every top female star could say that. Some seemed only to be able to interact well with other women if there were a clearly defined hierarchy and it was obvious who was the star; they saved all  their energy for "the man." Doris and Audrey were believable roommates. Doris was endearingly bemused by Spring Byington as her mother in Please Don't Eat the Daisies. Her intimacy with Myrna Loy as her aunt in Midnight Lace was clear. She seemed very comfortable with a potentially overwhelming Martha Raye in Jumbo. It's another part of what made Doris so special. 

Audrey was one of the saving graces in Mink. She had most of the funny lines and ran with them. I'd read Doris made a big fuss over Loy on the set and made sure she was treated like a star (though she was in the waning years of her acting career). She talked about this in her memoirs.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2021 at 9:56 AM, TopBilled said:

It's the fourth time TCM has honored the actress with a month-long tribute (tying her with Greta Garbo).

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.41.12 AM

Who is excited about this?

Thank you very much for posting about this, and for the detailed schedule. Next to Lucille Ball, Doris Day is my favorite actress and was much beloved by my late mother, who passed away in 2019 like Doris. 

I’ve seen all of Doris’s films but the one that really blew me away was Calamity Jane. Doris’s dancing was absolutely phenomenal!! She was incredibly talented and most importantly, to me, just exuded happiness and optimism in so many of her movies!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BernadetteE said:

Thank you very much for posting about this, and for the detailed schedule. Next to Lucille Ball, Doris Day is my favorite actress and was much beloved by my late mother, who passed away in 2019 like Doris. 

I’ve seen all of Doris’s films but the one that really blew me away was Calamity Jane. Doris’s dancing was absolutely phenomenal!! She was incredibly talented and most importantly, to me, just exuded happiness and optimism in so many of her movies!

Welcome to TCM City.

There was an interview I read about four or five years ago, when Doris was still alive, where she was quoted as saying CALAMITY JANE was her favorite of all the movies she made. 

Not only does it feature the dancing you mentioned but she also gets to sing that wonderful Oscar-winning tune ("Secret Love").

On 2/21/2021 at 11:56 AM, frankie1028 said:

I am extremely excited, after all Doris Day is my all favorite.  I do think TCM should have waited until April 2022 to honor her 100th Birthday. 

Well, we're just celebrating a year early is all! :) 

On 2/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, noah80 said:

just in time to mark the 70th anniversary 
available Feb. 23 2021

moon2.jpg

(the sequel  By the Light of the Silvery Moon not that great)

I love the sequel just as much as this one. It's a perfect double feature.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 3.17.36 PM

Some comments about By the Light of the Silvery Moon from DVD Talk that I have to agree with:

"Day as well doesn't seem too comfortable here, which is surprising considering how manic she appears throughout the early scenes. Reverting to uncharacteristic mugging, the earlier sweet, innocent, yet tomboyish Marjorie of On Moonlight Bay has now been replaced by a Hollywood star who's all too aware that the focus is strictly on her. It's not that Day is offensive in the role, like some Hollywood diva; quite the opposite. She's so determined to be "fresh" and "carefree" and "bright," that she tilts her performance uncomfortably into broadness.

Final Thoughts:

On its own (and if you never saw the first film), the sequel By the Light of the Silvery Moon is a pleasant, if totally innocuous, lightweight musical. But in comparison to its predecessor On Moonlight Bay, it suffers quite a bit. Day is strangely off in her performance, and the story is nothing but a retread of the better On Moonlight Bay. Still, if you're going to revisit these nostalgic musicals, you could do worse than By the Light of the Silvery Moon."

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/27448/doris-day-collection-vol-2-the/

On 2/21/2021 at 1:56 PM, frankie1028 said:

I am extremely excited, after all Doris Day is my all favorite.  I do think TCM should have waited until April 2022 to honor her 100th Birthday. 

They may wind up doing that too. Who knows.

I hope they will mark the 100th anniversary of her birth next year.  My book on her life will be coming out in April of 2022 with hundreds of heretofore unknown information and stories. For the past 9 years I've been teaching a Class at various colleges about Doris and her life and career. The response has even stunned me. Clearly she touches a nerve with people and the enrollment figures for the next two courses, at two different schools, seems to indicate that during these difficult and challenging times, there is even more need to escape from the harsh reality we are living in. 

The proposed cover is below, including front and back, the spine and the flaps that fold over. Subject to some editing during the next year.

DorisBookJacketHighlight.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Paulio said:

I hope they will mark the 100th anniversary of her birth next year.  My book on her life will be coming out in April of 2022 with hundreds of heretofore unknown information and stories. For the past 9 years I've been teaching a Class at various colleges about Doris and her life and career. The response has even stunned me. Clearly she touches a nerve with people and the enrollment figures for the next two courses, at two different schools, seems to indicate that during these difficult and challenging times, there is even more need to escape from the harsh reality we are living in. 

The proposed cover is below, including front and back, the spine and the flaps that fold over. Subject to some editing during the next year.

DorisBookJacketHighlight.jpg

This is great Paul. Thanks for giving us an advance look at the cover of your upcoming book on Doris! 

Please make sure to let readers know when it is finally published and available for sale.

I can imagine the courses you teach are not only a gateway for Doris' lesser known films but also for other classic musical comedies from the 1950s and 1960s.

• Like 1

Why doesn’t TCM ever run Where WereYou When the Lights Went Out? No DVD or blu-ray release either. Why is this Doris title MIA?

45 minutes ago, MoPo said:

Why doesn’t TCM ever run Where WereYou When the Lights Went Out? No DVD or blu-ray release either. Why is this Doris title MIA?

It's a film I'd like to see as well. I've heard it is not commercially available due to legal reasons.

It's actually a very funny film if seen with an audience. It made money - almost double what Day's two previous films ("Caprice" and "The Ballad of Josie") took in combined. 

It broke records at Radio City Music Hall and did well enough nationally during the summer of 1968.  It doesn't rank anywhere near the best comedies Doris did but the cast is good and Doris is very funny when talking about the play she is starring in on Broadway entitled, "The Constant Virgin". 

I own it and watch it periodically. Five years ago I asked Doris about it and why it was not available and she didn't know. I've yet to get a reliable response as to why it is not shown or available or when it might be. I'd have loved for TCM to show it, "Teacher's Pet" and "The Pajama Game" this month.

lightswentoutfacebook.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Paulio said:

It's actually a very funny film if seen with an audience. It made money - almost double what Day's two previous films ("Caprice" and "The Ballad of Josie") took in combined. 

It broke records at Radio City Music Hall and did well enough nationally during the summer of 1968.  It doesn't rank anywhere near the best comedies Doris did but the cast is good and Doris is very funny when talking about the play she is starring in on Broadway entitled, "The Constant Virgin". 

I own it and watch it periodically. Five years ago I asked Doris about it and why it was not available and she didn't know. I've yet to get a reliable response as to why it is not shown or available or when it might be. I'd have loved for TCM to show it, "Teacher's Pet" and "The Pajama Game" this month.

lightswentoutfacebook.jpg

Is this a film you use in the course you teach? Or do you stick with the more well-known Doris Day vehicles?

I do include it in the Class as an indicator that she didn't stop making movies because none of them were successful but because of the contract Marty had signed with CBS for films and television. The sleeping potion scene in "Lights" is one of the funniest slapstick scenes of the era and Doris again shows her skill at physical comedy.

The script is not terrific but certainly after the prior two films, it was an opportunity to show that Doris could still sparkle on-screen, if given even a moderately good script. 

I was a junior high student when it was released in 1968 and our family saw it at Radio City with about 6,000 in the audience. I remember when Doris Day's name and image came on during the opening credits (sung by The Lettermen), the audience burst into spontaneous applause. During the sleeping potion scene, you could tell they'd cranked the sound way up because the laughter and clapping was drowning out some of the dialogue. 

Again, not a classic by any means, but there are scenes that are genuinely funny and very well acted. 

• Like 2