Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SpaceX launches a record 143 satellites on one rocket, aces landing

SpaceX launches a record 143 satellites on one rocket, aces landing

SpaceX successfully launched an ambitious rideshare mission as one of its veteran boosters hoisted 143 small satellites — a new record for a single rocket — into space before nailing a landing at sea.

The two-stage Falcon 9 rocket lifted off Sunday morning (Jan. 24), soaring into a blue sky dotted with clouds at 10 a.m. EST (1500 GMT) from the Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station here in Florida.

Perched atop the veteran launcher is a stack of 143 satellites as part of SpaceX's first dedicated rideshare mission, called Transporter-1. The flight allowed SpaceX to flex its ridesharing muscles in a carefully choreographed orbital ballet as its flagship rocket ferried its largest number of payloads yet.

Acting as a cosmic carpool, SpaceX sent the bevy of small satellites into space alongside 10 of its own Starlink internet satellites. The mission is expected to deposit the flat-paneled Starlink satellites in a unique polar orbit — a first for its broadband fleet that will help provide coverage to customers in Alaska and other polar regions.

As such, the rocket appeared to launch straight overhead and into the clouds as it leapt off the pad this morning.

Space is becoming the next garbage dump thanks to all the satellites they keep launching.

• Like 1

Re: Space is becoming the next garbage dump thanks to all the satellites they keep launching.

This is becoming a problem and at present there are no regulations.  The movie "Gravity" is very likely to happen.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/01/24/spacex-launches-record-setting-rideshare-mission-with-143-small-satellites/

Excerpt..

Congress would need to act to give the Commerce Department the mission authorization authority. But that is “probably not going to happen for a while,” Weeden said.

Until then, there is no specific federal agency empowered to look into issues like space debris mitigation or public disclosures about commercial space activity.

Even if congress acts, what about other countries launching satellites? This will require international co-operation.

It's not a problem that one country can solve on its own (like many).  If the US had prohibited SpaceX's launch, they'd just launch from elsewhere, unless it was globally regulated.

if just one of those satellites falls back to earth and winds up in a mexican cave generating an electric force field from extraterrestrial protoplasm we're in trouble.

actress Kathleen Crowley is still with us. very pretty. I saw her on an ep of Maverick right along side 50 foot woman Allison Hayes. I read she didn't get along very well with Arthur Franz when they were shooting The Flame Barrier.

one of many movies tcm doan show.

The Flame Barrier (1958)

Pin on Classic Retro Beauty

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

if just one of those satellites falls back to earth and winds up in a mexican cave generating an electric force field from extraterrestrial protoplasm we're in trouble.

actress Kathleen Crowley is still with us. very pretty. I saw her on an ep of Maverick right along side 50 foot woman Allison Hayes. I read she didn't get along very well with Arthur Franz when they were shooting The Flame Barrier.

one of many movies tcm doan show.

The Flame Barrier (1958)

Pin on Classic Retro Beauty

both of them hail from the state of NJ. Franz from perth amboy and she from redbank.

:)

arthur franz was a true-life hero. he actually escaped from a nazi prison camp.

these shots are from the superior UK version of invaders from mars with new scenes shot for the UK release.

Helena Carter was hot.

:)

Invaders from Mars | Scifist

Invaders from Mars (1953) starring Helena Carter, Arthur Franz, Jimmy Hunt,  Leif Erickson, Hillary Brooke, Morris Ankrum, Max Wagner directed by  William Cameron Menzies Movie Review

Invaders from Mars (1953) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

Invaders from Mars (1953)

During the 1960's - 2000's there were small satellites built by very skilled ham radio operators called microsats (AMSAT / OSCAR).  They were launched along with larger commercial satellites riding piggyback from the French Ariane rocket facility then later from  Kazakhstan. They only occupied the unused space.

I was planning to install an antenna system to communicate with them but shelved the whole thing, was too time consuming and other things came up.  At the time there were no thoughts let alone issues about space debris.

https://www.amsat.org/amsat-history/

008-Microsat1.jpg

AMSATALTLOGO8.png

What I had in mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYXNpSzGbULTFtYXaz6kt

wb2mnf-satellite-antenna-upgrade01.jpg

Yep could build your own satellite in one's basement at bargain basement prices.

AO-8-009.jpg

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Oops. Starship Blooper.

Up in flames: SpaceX Starship test flight ends in fiery crash, again

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/02/spacex-starship-rocket-test-flight-explodes-elon-musk

I saw Kathleen Crowley in an episode of The Virginian a few weeks ago. Quite a looker.

I'll second that.

Farewell to Honesty S3Ep27 - The Virginian runs into an old friend,  Jennifer McLeod (Kathleen Crowley) a saloon owner in… | The virginian,  James drury, Doug mcclure

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'll second that.

Farewell to Honesty S3Ep27 - The Virginian runs into an old friend,  Jennifer McLeod (Kathleen Crowley) a saloon owner in… | The virginian,  James drury, Doug mcclure

Yep. Like most of the TV cowboy stars the Virginian never got the girl, but he had 

a lot of fun anyway.

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

During the 1960's - 2000's there were small satellites built by very skilled ham radio operators called microsats (AMSAT / OSCAR).  They were launched along with larger commercial satellites riding piggyback from the French Ariane rocket facility then later from  Kazakhstan. They only occupied the unused space.

I was planning to install an antenna system to communicate with them but shelved the whole thing, was too time consuming and other things came up.  At the time there were no thoughts let alone issues about space debris.

Not sure that's an entirely true statement.   The Air Force (now I presume Space Force) has been tracking orbital debris for years as part of their secondary mission.  NASA has had a debris mitigation plan of one type or another since 1979.   The US finally established a debris mitigation practice (ODMSP) in 2001.   There are no international treaties to minimize space debris.  There are treaties that require satellites to be maneuverable and have deorbiting capabilities, but there's really no punitive damages if those mechanisms fail and strand a satellite in orbit.  One risk in the commercial arena is if a company goes out of business, who then controls their orbital assets?

This has been a significant issue since the US Navy's Project Needles (or Project West Ford, or Westford Needles).  This program attempted to create an artificial ionosphere in the early 1960s, before communications satellites were launched.  This consisted of 480 million very short (under 2 cm) copper dipole antennas placed into a medium earth orbit.  It was recognized even then as creating space junk, being raised as an international issue at the UN.  Even though program supporters stated all these "needles" would deorbit on their own within 3 years, there are still needles in orbit today.

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Admiral Nelson is still looking for this guy.

he stole a lot of equipment out of the circuitry room.

:lol:

I recognized some of his equipment most from the 1960's

Behind his left elbow - Heathkit SB-620 monitor scope

Vintage-Heathkit-SB-620%C2%A0-Monitor-Sc

Right shoulder barley noticeable 

SB-600  station speaker 

Heathkit-SB-600-station-monitor-speaker.

which can house a power supply

heathkit-sb-600-speaker-hp-23a-power_1_6

Center top clearly visible , SB-500 transverter, it turns a HF transceiver into a 2 meter but it uses AM not FM.

sb_500_73892.jpg