Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Oh I am sure it was the intent of the director (Reed)...but I think he could have chosen a shorter piece of music. The ending, as "artistic" as it may be, still drags on too long in my opinion. Stalling Mason's death undermines what came before. It's a fine movie except for that tedious ending.

On another note, has anyone had a chance to look at TOMORROW AT TEN..? I absolutely fell in love with this British B-movie. I raved about it to Jlewis and we're going to include it in our Essentials thread in April as part of a theme called "A child in danger."

Ill try and catch it for sure

• Like 1
On 2/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, TopBilled said:

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1934) was uploaded this afternoon. 

I love BOTH versions. Its rare that I like a remake, but in this case it was well done. Lorre is one of my favorite actors.  

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, TopBilled said:

Yes, action sequences need faster cutting.

Personally I think action sequences work best when there is more than once situation playing out at the same time and the director/editor cuts back and forth between the various set-ups, escalating it to a dramatic crescendo.

As cheesy as those Irwin Allen disaster movies were in the 1970s, they got this aspect right...and most of those movies have very exciting finales.

When I watched the end of ODD MAN OUT, honestly I kept thinking to myself "when is this going to end, I need to go to the bathroom!" I just felt like the resolution was being unnecessarily delayed.

I didn't like Odd Man Out. It started very good and then transformed into a completely different movie. It became about those long, drawn out scenes with Mason.  The initial heist premise is where the plot should have stayed.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Moorman said:

I didn't like Odd Man Out. It started very good and then transformed into a completely different movie. It became about those long, drawn out scenes with Mason.  The initial heist premise is where the plot should have stayed.

Thanks. Glad you can understand the point I was making earlier.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. Glad you can understand the point I was making earlier.

A better plot would have been to make it more of a British "Riffifi".  I would have focused on the whole crew and built the plot out from there.  Mason's plight would have been a part of the whole, instead of being THE whole.

6 minutes ago, Moorman said:

A better plot would have been to make it more of a British "Riffifi".  I would have focused on the whole crew and built the plot out from there.  Mason's plight would have been a part of the whole, instead of being THE whole.

Honestly I didn't mind them saving his character's death till the end. After all Mason had top billing, was the movie's star. Etc. 

But after O'Herlihy and the others bit the dust, I think Mason's character should've gone down no longer than five minutes after that. Instead he lives on (and on and on) for at least a half hour more of screen time which was just excessive.

ODD MAN OUT is a 116-minute film that should have been trimmed to 95 minutes.

• Like 1