Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Tribute to "Tell It to the Bees" (2018)

I just recently watched Tell It to the Bees (2018).  The film got mixed reviews but I thought it had the best love scene of all the lesbian films that I have seen so far... Desert Hearts (1985), Imagine Me & You (2005), Carol (2015) and of course also the not exactly lesbian films These Three (1936) and The Children's Hour (1961).  The love scene from Tell It to the Bees had a sincere approach thus making it erotic.  I think women are best at directing lesbian films since they have a better understanding of the subject and more sensitive in directing the intimate scenes.  With a man directing these films, I always wonder if the love scenes between two women are necessary or for sensationalism (especially if they are explicit with nudity). Desert Hearts and Tell It to the Bees were directed by women.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Sister My Sister.   The film must not have been promoted very well by the media because I have never heard of it.

I forgot to mention that I have also seen The Killing of Sister George (1968).   One has to wonder if director Robert Aldrich was going for sensationalism with the bedroom scene near the end of the film.

• Like 2
On 2/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, noah80 said:

I haven't seen Sister My Sister.   The film must not have been promoted very well by the media because I have never heard of it.

I forgot to mention that I have also seen The Killing of Sister George (1968).   One has to wonder if director Robert Aldrich was going for sensationalism with the bedroom scene near the end of the film.

The Killing of Sister George was Aldrich's next film after The Legend of Lylah Clare, so it's probably safe to say he was in a sensationalistic frame of mind. It was also right at the time when the old Production Code was really falling apart, so moviemakers were emboldened to be more specific and graphic. Midnight Cowboy was rated X but won the Oscar for Best Picture. I love Coral Browne in Sister George; she was predatory yet sympathetic in a strange kind of way. (Aldrich had just used her in Lylah Clare as well, and of course her Vera Charles in Auntie Mame puts her in the Gay Hall of Fame.)

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, DougieB said:

The Killing of Sister George was Aldrich's next film after The Legend of Lylah Clare, so it's probably safe to say he was in a sensationalistic frame of mind. It was also right at the time when the old Production Code was really falling apart, so moviemakers were emboldened to be more specific and graphic. Midnight Cowboy was rated X but won the Oscar for Best Picture. I love Coral Browne in Sister George; she was predatory yet sympathetic in a strange kind of way. (Aldrich had just used her in Lylah Clare as well, and of course her Vera Charles in Auntie Mame puts her in the Gay Hall of Fame.)

Dougie,

If you created a thread about the "Gay Hall of Fame" who would you mention? 

Would Judy Garland be near the top of the list?

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Dougie,

If you created a thread about the "Gay Hall of Fame" who would you mention? 

Would Judy Garland be near the top of the list?

An interesting idea. Judy for sure would have to be on it, both for her film performances and for her up-and-down concert and recording careers, as well as  her personal life. She was apparently a great raconteur with a cutting humor, which for me would seal the deal. In terms of movies, I'd be thinking of brilliant character actors like Eric Blore, Edward Everett Horton

• Like 1

Hours later....Sorry, my screen froze and I had to get out. What I was working up to saying is that a Gay Hall of Fame would have to cover a lot of territory, including what/who expresses "gayness", what/who supports gayness, what/who pleases a "gay" audience, what about "gayness" pleases a general audience, etc. I don't know that I'm up to the task or that I'd want to endure the slings and arrows for doing so, It's such a subjective thing. I volunteered Coral Browne because she tickled me personally in Auntie Mame, as well as impressed me with her performance in The Killing of Sister George. In a way it's like the thread about the Golden Turkey Awards in General Discussions; everyone seems to have their own ideas about what's appropriate or inappropriate. But I think it would be a great idea for the new Academy Museum to curate something along these lines as an exhibit.

• Like 1

What the Golden Age of Hollywood thought about nudity in films in the late 1960's

"This is really a night to remember.  Such a novelty to see actors and actresses with their clothes on." Bob Hope at the opening of the Academy Awards in 1970

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

Hours later....Sorry, my screen froze and I had to get out. What I was working up to saying is that a Gay Hall of Fame would have to cover a lot of territory, including what/who expresses "gayness", what/who supports gayness, what/who pleases a "gay" audience, what about "gayness" pleases a general audience, etc. I don't know that I'm up to the task or that I'd want to endure the slings and arrows for doing so, It's such a subjective thing. I volunteered Coral Browne because she tickled me personally in Auntie Mame, as well as impressed me with her performance in The Killing of Sister George. In a way it's like the thread about the Golden Turkey Awards in General Discussions; everyone seems to have their own ideas about what's appropriate or inappropriate. But I think it would be a great idea for the new Academy Museum to curate something along these lines as an exhibit.

I like the ideas you've come up with, in order for people to "qualify" for such a Hall of Fame.

I don't think pleasing a gay audience should necessarily be sex-related, however. Someone with a winning smile or pleasing personality should be considered, where they are cute not exactly hot. But of course some hot eye candy would not hurt. LOL

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Just yesterday I watched Anchor and Hope (2017) on Prime Video. It was more angsty than Tell It to the Bees seems to be but it might be something you'd like. One of the women is Oona Chaplin, Geraldine Chaplin's daughter, and her mother plays the role of her mother in the film. There are moments which are explicitly sexual without really showing skin, if that's a standard for you. It meanders, but on the other hand the characters go through a whole hell of a lot. 

I wish I had seen Tell It to the Bees on the big screen instead of Carol.  Both films set in 1952.  Carol had a depressing tone with a big production.  Small budget Tell It to the Bees had some dark scenes but overall a sweet and enjoyable film.

• Haha 1

So it finally took  the year 2018 for someone to actually make a decent lesbian film that is "tasteful, touching, and tender" (words described by Screen International).  After watching  films  Disobedience (2017) and Ammonite (2020),  I'm not expecting  lesbian films to follow the same approach as Tell It to the Bees any time soon.

(LOVE SCENE: PART TWO)

tumblr-70a92a1deca5531bdea8533d49cbbd37-

tumblr-puuepfqxnz1x0lf5no4-540.gif

bee37.jpg

dis.jpg

bee39.jpg

I should note that actor Anna Paquin (left) is bisexual. 

(LOVE SCENE: PART THREE)

tumblr-0dbd01bb70c00e067e47fc1a2a87efd0-

Get It On with Holliday Grainger and Anna Paquin  (saving the best GIFs for last)

tumblr-3d32eafd2c314eae79110fc9fab8f695-

march.png

Holliday Grainger and Anna Paquin (looking a bit stressed out)

march2.png

Both were child actors except one has got  an Oscar.

march1.jpg

Anna Paquin, Best Supporting Actress for The Piano in 1994

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my favorite scenes  not available online as a GIF so I created them myself.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I love this  widescreen  shot.

Here's one way of looking at Tell It To The Bees

"It’s 1950s, small-town Britain. Two women discover their love for each other. Bees are involved. And because of a nosy kid and the town’s love of gossip, the women can’t canoodle in peace. This is the foundation of the upcoming Tell It To The Bees"

https://www.out.com/film/2019/3/06/anna-paquin-stars-hollywoods-latest-lesbian-romance

(actually it's Scotland)

65.png

must be some kind of contest who is hotter
Holliday Grainger or Anna Paquin?

• noah80 changed the title to A Tribute to "Tell It to the Bees" (2018)

march8.png

Holliday Grainger at home in 2020

no Oscar for now but celebrating her 33rd birthday today
(Anna Paquin the first millennial to receive an Oscar)

giphy.gif

gotta love Holly Grainger

tumblr-pbaquudfc-M1vh0uneo3-540.gif

a candid moment not in the film

giphy.gif

(shorter version)