Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Night of the Hunter" 1955

One of my favorite movies of all time. I thought Robert Mitchum and Jillian Gish were brilliant.  I have trouble figuring out what genre this movie would fall in. I don't think it would qualify as horror although it might. I know Charles Laughton was very nervous directing this movie because it was his first, and when the critics got through with it , it was his last. What a waste. I wish he could have lived to see it voted the second best movie ever made after Citizen Kane. Something very creepy about Mitchum hunting for those kids singing "In the Everlasting Arms." Pure genius.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Syntax said:

One of my favorite movies of all time. I thought Robert Mitchum and Jillian Gish were brilliant.  I have trouble figuring out what genre this movie would fall in. I don't think it would qualify as horror although it might. I know Charles Laughton was very nervous directing this movie because it was his first, and when the critics got through with it , it was his last. What a waste. I wish he could have lived to see it voted the second best movie ever made after Citizen Kane. Something very creepy about Mitchum hunting for those kids singing "In the Everlasting Arms." Pure genius.

Some say horror, some say noir,  some say just a drama.     I say,  it doesn't really matter.  This is a first rate film especially the first 3\4.

• Like 1

I agree with James.  I've always just thought of the movie as an exceptional drama.  And Mitchum was never better.  I really wish that both he and Lilian Gish had been nominated for Oscars.  They both really deserved a nomination.  And the photography is great.

More on the Night of the Hunter and the cinematographer: 

The director of photography was Stanley Cortez, who also shot Orson Welles' 1942 film The Magnificent Ambersons. Because Laughton had very little experience working with film, Cortez would visit his house to explain various concepts of camera lenses, camera heights, and what effect each of them gave.[42] Laughton told Cortez that the nitrate prints of the silent movies that he had been watching for research impressed them with how sharp they looked, so he asked Cortez to create that same sharpness for The Night of the Hunter.[43] The studio brought most of the crew from a recent film Black Tuesday because they had worked so well together, and Cortez had experimented with a new black-and-white film Kodak Tri-X on that production, with great results. He chose to shoot certain scenes of this film on Tri-X because it had a sharp contrast that would help fulfill Laughton's vision.[4

• Like 3