Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Christopher Plummer (1929-2021)


Recommended Posts

I think it's ironic that the great Mr. Plummer's role in The Sound of Music is taking center stage in his obits. I think he regretted that he was so identified with that one role, despite an extraordinary career. What is stranger still, is that some of the media (NBC New York this morning) is honoring him by showing a clip of him singing "Edelweiss," a song in which he was dubbed.

The song was actually written by Rodgers and Hammerstein during the tryouts for The Sound of Music, after Theodore Bikel, who played Captain von Trapp on stage, was cast. Bikel was a great singer, and R&H wrote the song especially to showcase his talents and give the lead male character a song.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I think it's ironic that the great Mr. Plummer's role in The Sound of Music is taking center stage in his obits. I think he regretted that he was so identified with that one role, despite an extraordinary career. What is stranger still, is that some of the media (NBC New York this morning) is honoring him by showing a clip of him singing "Edelweiss," a song in which he was dubbed.

The song was actually written by Rodgers and Hammerstein during the tryouts for The Sound of Music, after Theodore Bikel, who played Captain von Trapp on stage, was cast. Bikel was a great singer, and R&H wrote the song especially to showcase his talents and give the lead male character a song.

 

 

 

I am sure he realized it was inevitable that he would be remembered for Sound of Music and that probably made him more than a little crazy.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I think it's ironic that the great Mr. Plummer's role in The Sound of Music is taking center stage in his obits. I think he regretted that he was so identified with that one role, despite an extraordinary career. What is stranger still, is that some of the media (NBC New York this morning) is honoring him by showing a clip of him singing "Edelweiss," a song in which he was dubbed.

The song was actually written by Rodgers and Hammerstein during the tryouts for The Sound of Music, after Theodore Bikel, who played Captain von Trapp on stage, was cast. Bikel was a great singer, and R&H wrote the song especially to showcase his talents and give the lead male character a song.

 

 

 

And ironically(and a bit sad) that somebody on these boards bid him adieu by calling him Captain Von Trapp.  A role he long regretted doing and never liked at all.  Remember his referring to the movie as "The Sound Of Mucous"?    I   still do.  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Plummer splendidy captured the self destructive complexies of John Barrymore. There is a moment in the film version in which Plummer portrays the actor having a moment of painful self awareness of the life and talent that he had thrown away, and there was no going back.

"Oh God, what have I done?" Plummer says lying on the floor with tears in his eyes. There is no one he can turn to for comfort.

A few seconds later, now recovered, he is bellowing and once again playing the drunken fool. Far better to bellow than to stop and think what you've done to yourself.

Christopher Plummer made me cry when I saw that scene.

220px-Barrymore_(film)_poster.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen a ton of Mr. Plummer's work (I've never seen Sound of Music.  I know.  I actually just put in a hold request at the library to see it, though I know Plummer disliked it).  But I liked him in Inside Daisy Clover with Natalie Wood.  I have his screen debut, Stage Struck, with Susan Strasberg, on my DVR.  I should take a look at that one in the near future.  I haven't seen this film, but I believe in Beginners (his Oscar-winning role), Plummer plays Ewan McGregor's father.  I hadn't realized until seeing younger pictures of him, how much he resembled McGregor; or rather how much McGregor resembled him.  

Image result for up christopher plummer

I really liked Christopher Plummer as Charles F. Muntz, the villain in Pixar's Up.  Muntz was designed to look like a mix of Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, and Howard Hughes. 

RIP Mr. Plummer.  I look forward to seeing more of your films.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Plummer splendidy captured the self destructive complexies of John Barrymore. There is a moment in the film version in which Plummer portrays the actor having a moment of painful self awareness of the life and talent that he had thrown away, and there was no going back.

"Oh God, what have I done?" Plummer says lying on the floor with tears in his eyes. There is no one he can turn to for comfort.

A few seconds later, now recovered, he is bellowing and once again playing the drunken fool. Far better to bellow than to stop and think what you've done to yourself.

Christopher Plummer made me cry when I saw that scene.

220px-Barrymore_(film)_poster.jpg

I didn't know that Plummer made a film about John Barrymore.  This looks very interesting.  I am going to try and find this.  Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I didn't know that Plummer made a film about John Barrymore.  This looks very interesting.  I am going to try and find this.  Thanks!

It's a filmed adaption of the stage play for which Plummer won a Tony.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never seen Sound of Music.  

I hope you realize that's a blasphemous statement to make...especially on a classic movie site. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I hope you realize that's a blasphemous statement to make...especially on a classic movie site. :) 

I'm sure everyone here has some movie skeletons in their closet. Lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TomJH said:

It's a filmed adaption of the stage play for which Plummer won a Tony.

Thanks.  Looks like Plummer was almost an EGOT, he just needed to win a Grammy somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedracer5 said:

I'm sure everyone here has some movie skeletons in their closet. Lol.

We can refer you to some sort of classic film rehab, where they can guide you through all the necessary recovery steps.

:) 

In fact the TCM message board is often one's first form of movie-related therapy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

We can refer you to some sort of classic film rehab, where they can guide you through all the necessary recovery steps.

:) 

In fact the TCM message board is often one's first form of movie-related therapy.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.  I have placed a hold for The Sound of Music at the library.

The second step will be actually watching the movie. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

The first step is admitting you have a problem.  I have placed a hold for The Sound of Music at the library.

The second step will be actually watching the movie. 

Good answer, good answer. 

I see a SOUND OF MUSIC thread in our future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Thanks.  Looks like Plummer was almost an EGOT, he just needed to win a Grammy somewhere.

He's in good company.  There are 24 actors who have the "triple crown" of acting, with an Emmy, Oscar and Tony for acting (vs. directing or producing, etc).  Only two of those have a Grammy:  Helen Hayes and Rita Moreno.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I hate that the Golan Globus version of ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE he did in 1984 with FAYE DUNAWAY has fallen into SUCH obscurity. I don’t think it’s available even for rentals on all the streaming services. (I’ve looked)

 

It's on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm sure everyone here has some movie skeletons in their closet. Lol.

I've never seen Sound of Music either. Just parts of it on its Abc showings. I know the story and it never appealed to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

He's in good company.  There are 24 actors who have the "triple crown" of acting, with an Emmy, Oscar and Tony for acting (vs. directing or producing, etc).  Only two of those have a Grammy:  Helen Hayes and Rita Moreno.

Didn't Audrey Hepburn win a Grammy? Maybe she didn't win an Emmy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've never seen Sound of Music either. Just parts of it on its Abc showings. I know the story and it never appealed to me.

You mean you couldn't get into a story about an Austrian captain who has a tawdry fling with his kids' nanny, causing a jilted baroness to resort to murder?

If Arnold Schwarzenegger ever does a remake, maybe you will finally see what you've been missing.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Didn't Audrey Hepburn win a Grammy? Maybe she didn't win an Emmy.

She's an EGOT winner, but her Emmy wasn't in an acting category.  It was for her gardening program, which aired on many PBS stations in the early 90s.

Since her Emmy was in a non-acting category, she's not considered to have won the triple crown of acting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've never seen Sound of Music either. Just parts of it on its Abc showings. I know the story and it never appealed to me.

A musical featuring nuns singing in the WW2 Alps?

I've seen thousands of films throughout my life without ever coming near THE SOUND OF MUSIC too. The thought of sitting through it sounds like a real chore to me.

Since Christopher Plummer himself appears to have not been in love with the film I appear to be in good company.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Christopher Plummer in the world premiere of the musical Cyrano at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis in 1973.  Then he took it to Broadway and won a Tony.  One of his best movie performances was playing Mike Wallace in The Insider.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...