Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Christopher Plummer (1929-2021)

Not a fan of the Sound of Music either but Austria and the cities of Salzburg and Innsbruck are worth the trip.   Using a train to get from the various cities is a breeze and very enjoyable.    My wife and I flew into Munich and then took the train to each of these towns staying for 3 nights each.   We went in May and while there was a light snow one day, the next day it was sunny and in the 70s.    Thus the mountains looked liked they do in the photo.        

Here is Salzburg: Those hills are alive! 

Image result for salzburg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

She's an EGOT winner, but her Emmy wasn't in an acting category.  It was for her gardening program, which aired on many PBS stations in the early 90s.

Since her Emmy was in a non-acting category, she's not considered to have won the triple crown of acting.

I thought so (Gardens of the World). Well, an Emmy is an Emmy in my book.

Mike? "Mike." Try "Mr. Wallace". We work in the same corporation doesn't mean we work in the same profession. What are you going to do now? You're gonna finesse me, lawyer me some more? I've been in this profession 50 F*****G YEARS! You, and the people you work for, are destroying the most-respected, the highest-rated, the most-profitable show on this network!

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm sure everyone here has some movie skeletons in their closet. Lol.

You wouldn't believe the 60's-80's movies a generation has not seen, over on the YouTube "first-reaction" verse I frequent, in my volunteer film-therapy work.  Ironically, most of those can't see The Sound of Music, since everything has to be posted on YouTube with the songs cut out.

Fortunately, you have your helpful TCM Support Group, to help steer you to your nearest Blu-ray disk, and only a keyboard click away.   😇⛑️'

A musical featuring nuns singing in the WW2 Alps?

I've seen thousands of films throughout my life without ever coming near THE SOUND OF MUSIC too. The thought of sitting through it sounds like a real chore to me.

The second act, after the Intermission, ultimately ends up being every bit as silly/sappy as deconstructionists (who were ready to strangle the movie, and Julie Andrews' career, after it played some big-city theaters for FOUR YEARS) have said it is.  And more.

The first act, however, starting with that big aerial Alpine swoop-in, is literally the first iconic movie that springs to mind when I think of the glory days of the Big-Studio 60's Roadshow-Epic Spectacular.   We briefly came close in the 90's/00's, but such days will never come again.   😑 

16 minutes ago, Vidor said:

Oh, and not to be Mr. Iconoclast or anything, but "The Sound of Music" is a great movie and Plummer is fantastic in it, even if he doesn't sing.

He's great in it, and I'm sure he got satisfaction out of knowing the love that it brought him. Personally, I'm not a fan of the film. I love the original Broadway cast album with Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel. 

Plummer appeared several  times with Julie Harris. I like to see some of the productions they did together, from the early days of television, particularly A Doll's House and Little Moon of Alban.

a-doll-s-house-1959-julie-harris-christo

It's clear that Plummer and Andrews both worked hard (and succeeded) in later years to overcome the typecasting they might have experienced due to the enormous success of THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

However, it's still a movie they should be remembered for in addition to their other extraordinary accomplishments.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/julie-andrews-chris-evans-christopher-plummer-death-220610624.html

I.. Had Wanted to.. ..... ..Copy.. + Paste One..

...BEAUTIFUL Pic in particular here,.

-

But was not sure Immediately how to do so..

... . ..or IF to do so...

_

In Lieu of that.. ...Here is the entire.. - ...Sweet,. Lovely.  .. Touching,.. Story.

. ...

... .

Of Particular Note..

..for those interested...

-

Id Like to point out the EXQUISITE .. .....(ABSOLUTELY) BEAUTIFUL.. ,"Hug",.

Between Madam Armas and Sir Plummer..

😊☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

..my heart (IMMEDIATELY) Turned  to Soup..

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The first step is admitting you have a problem.  I have placed a hold for The Sound of Music at the library.

The second step will be actually watching the movie. 

I think the problem goes deeper since( and I don't really know your age) the movie has been available for rental at most video stores in both VHS and the later DVD formats for years before those places faded away, and probably has availability for those who "stream" most of what they view.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

28 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I think the problem goes deeper since( and I don't really know your age) the movie has been available for rental at most video stores in both VHS and the later DVD formats for years before those places faded away, and probably has availability for those who "stream" most of what they view.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

After Disney bought the 20th Century Fox studios, it might be available only on Disney+ now.  I know it's on there (or was a few weeks ago).  I don't know if it's exclusive to that platform, though.

it's been about 20 years since i saw it, but i remember him being very good in a big screen adaptation of NICHOLAS NICKLEBY as THE WICKED UNCLE. A long overdue (at the time) OSCAR NOMINATION was predicted (and deserved) but not granted.

Christopher+Plummer+Nicholas+Nickerby.PN

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Hibi said:

Didn't Audrey Hepburn win a Grammy? Maybe she didn't win an Emmy.

I think Audrey's Grammy was posthumous.  Her Emmy might have been posthumous now that I think of it. 

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

38 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

After Disney bought the 20th Century Fox studios, it might be available only on Disney+ now.  I know it's on there (or was a few weeks ago).  I don't know if it's exclusive to that platform, though.

I'm 36, so I know that I've had plenty of opportunity to see it in both VHS and DVD form. My family went to the video store almost every week to rent movies (VHS and later DVD).  I just haven't gotten around to seeing it.  I learned from one of my friends here on the boards that it is also available for streaming on Disney+ which I also have.  I forgot that Disney purchased Fox, so checking Disney+ didn't even occur to me.  I went straight to the library.

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Knowing how off the wall GRAMMY NOMINATIONS can be, I'm a little surprised it wasn't nominated for BEST METAL ALBUM or FEMALE SOLO RAP PERFORMANCE.

I can totally see Audrey has the best Female Solo Rap Performance category.

Audrey in da hiz house! 

On 2/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, TopBilled said:

You mean you couldn't get into a story about an Austrian captain who has a tawdry fling with his kids' nanny, causing a jilted baroness to resort to murder?

If Arnold Schwarzenegger ever does a remake, maybe you will finally see what you've been missing.

🤭

On 2/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/christopher-plummer-dies-91-sound-of-music-all-the-money-in-the-world-star-1234688379/

Christopher Plummer Dies: Oscar Winner & ‘Sound Of Music,’ ‘All The Money In The World’ Star A True Hollywood Legend

Christopher Plummer, who starred in The Sound of Music, won an Oscar for Beginners and was nominated for All the Money in the World and The Last Station, peacefully today at his home in Connecticut, his family confirmed. Elaine Taylor, his wife and true best friend for 53 years, was by his side.

Lou Pitt, his longtime friend and manager of 46 years said; “Chris was an extraordinary man who deeply loved and respected his profession with great old fashion manners, self deprecating humor and the music of words. He was a National Treasure who deeply relished his Canadian roots. Through his art and humanity, he touched all of our hearts and his legendary life will endure for all generations to come. He will forever be with us.”

Plummer spent the past 75 years as a stalwart of stage and screen, the latter of which covered more than 100 film. He is best known for playing Captain John Von Trapp in 1965 Robert Wise-directed classic The Sound of Music, but he won his Oscar for the 2010 film Beginners, and he was most recently Oscar nominated for the Ridley Scott-directed All The Money In The World. In that film, he replaced Kevin Spacey in the role of J Paul Getty, after Spacey had an #MeToo downfall. Plummer most recently costarred in the ensemble of the Rian Johnson-directed Knives Out.

Raised in Montreal, Plummer began his professional career on stage and radio in both French and English. After Eva Le Gallienne gave him his New York debut (1954) he went on to star in many celebrated productions on Broadway and London’s West End winning accolades on both sides of the Atlantic.

He won two Tony Awards for the musical Cyranoand for Barrymore plus seven Tony nominations, his latest for his King Lear (2004) and for his Clarence Darrow in Inherit the Wind (2007); also three Drama Desk Awards and the National Arts Club Medal. A former leading member of the Royal National Theatre under Sir Laurence Olivier and the Royal Shakespeare Company under Sir Peter Hall, where he won London’s Evening Standard Award for Best Actor in Becket; he has also led Canada’s Stratford Festival in its formative years under Sir Tyrone Guthrie and Michael Langham.

Since Sidney Lumet introduced him to the screen in Stage Struck (1958), his range of notable films include The Man Who Would Be King, Battle of Britain, Waterloo, Fall of The Roman Empire, Star Trek VI, Twelve Monkeys and the 1965 Oscar-winning The Sound of Music. More recent films include The Insider as Mike Wallace; (National Film Critics Award), the acclaimed A Beautiful Mind, Man in the Chair, Must Love Dogs, National Treasure, Syriana and Inside Man. His TV appearances, which number close to 100, include the Emmy-winning BBC Hamlet at Elsinore playing the title role; the Emmy-winning productions The Thornbirds, Nuremberg, Little Moon of Alban and HBO’s Muhammad Ali’s Greatest Fight earning him seven Emmy nominations and taking home two Emmys. He was last seen in the Canadian series, Departures. Apart from honors in the UK, USA, Austria and Canada, he was the first performer to receive the Jason Robards Award in memory of his great friend, the Edwin Booth Award and the Sir John Gielgud Quill Award. In 1968, sanctioned by Elizabeth II, he was invested as a Companion of the Order of Canada (an honorary knighthood). An Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts at Juilliard, he also received the Governor General’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000. In 1986 he was inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame and in 2000 Canada’s Walk of Fame. Plummer’s projects include the highly praised animated films Up, 9 as well as the title role in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, directed by Terry Gilliam.

He played the great novelist Tolstoy opposite Helen Mirren in The Last Station for Sony Classics where he received his first Academy Award nomination in 2010. He followed that up the next year with another nomination and a win for Best Supporting Actor in Beginners from writer/director Mike Mills and appeared in David Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that same year. In July and August 2012, he returned to the Stratford Festival to perform his one-man show that he created entitled A Word or Two, directed by Des McAnuff. In 2013, he starred opposite Oscar winner Shirley MacLaine in Elsa & Fred directed by Michael Radford, Hector And The Search for Happiness directed by Peter Chelsom, Danny Collins opposite Al Pacino and Annette Benning for writer/director Dan Fogelman and The Forger opposite John Travolta directed by Phillip Martin. In 2015, he starred in Remember, directed by Atom Egoyan and in 2017 The Exception, based on the novel “The Kaiser’s Last Kiss” co-starring Lily James, Jai Courtney and Janet McTeer and The Man Who Invented Christmas, co-starring Dan Stevens. That same year he replaced Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World, earning him his fourth Golden Globe and third Academy Award nominations. Boundaries for Sony Classics, co-starring Vera Farmiga in 2018, and Last Full Measure with Sebastian Stan, Ed Harris and Samuel L. Jackson. He was recently seen in the very successful KNIVES OUT starring Daniel Craig and Chris Evans. His recent self-written best selling memoir, In Spite of Myself (Alfred A. Knopf Publishers) praised by critics and public remains a best seller.

Heres that Pic i alluded to earlier... ..

. ...

Just too (GOSH DARN) ~ PRETTY ~ For Me NOT to Post.....

..and, ...call me Sappy Chap,. - .. but their Both GLOWING ..

😊☺️☺️☺️😊😊😊😊😊😊😊☺️

*Disclaimer.

..Not to a SmartOff,. -

-- - ..just for, .. what i will call Legality Issues.....

I Had NOTHING to do with the "making of",, of this picture ..

🙏

plummer-y-de-armas.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I can totally see Audrey has the best Female Solo Rap Performance category.

Audrey in da hiz house! 

An episode of the sketch comedy In Living Color in the early 90s suggested that Marlee Matlin would record a rap album..... :huh::unsure:

4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

An episode of the sketch comedy In Living Color in the early 90s suggested that Marlee Matlin would record a rap album..... :huh::unsure:

ILC was not as good as MAD TV, but it was not bad.

The MEN ON FILM skits have not aged well in spite of the fact that I quote from them freely and often to this day.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's been about 20 years since i saw it, but i remember him being very good in a big screen adaptation of NICHOLAS NICKLEBY as THE WICKED UNCLE. A long overdue (at the time) OSCAR NOMINATION was predicted (and deserved) but not granted.

He was less successful getting his turn as a completely hard and unsympathetic Ebenezer Scrooge in Charles Dickens' imagination, in The Man Who Invented Christmas  (2017).  No George C. Scott, and sadly, no Albert Finney either.

GmWGxPKf-isFYonttRmMHIESaiRd9DhuueHIBmVx

30 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

BTW, the Grammys I never forgive: Record of the Year and Song of the Year in 1989 to "Don't Worry Be Happy", or the song that makes me wish I could drive off a cliff like Thelma and Louise every time I hear its noxious notes....

image.thumb.png.ddfc982fa45446de70fe001e29b8cc89.png

image.thumb.png.3d2abf021c7f12ee127efdbffe82f127.png

They need to do a 2021 remix: BE WORRIED, NOT HAPPY.
Make it a grim spoken word piece  by WERNER HERZOG set to an industrial backbeat. 

• Haha 2