Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Christopher Plummer (1929-2021)

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Audrey's Grammy was posthumous.  Her Emmy might have been posthumous now that I think of it. 

Like it matters?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Like it matters?

I guess it was just their way of honoring her one more time.  I wonder if she would have won had she not passed away. 

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

BTW, the Grammys I never forgive: Record of the Year and Song of the Year in 1989 to "Don't Worry Be Happy", or the song that makes me wish I could drive off a cliff like Thelma and Louise every time I hear its noxious notes....

image.thumb.png.ddfc982fa45446de70fe001e29b8cc89.png

image.thumb.png.3d2abf021c7f12ee127efdbffe82f127.png

The award for Song of the Year is even more obnoxious than the award for Record of the Year because it is a songwriting award. For songs that have lyrics more interesting or thoughtful  than "Don't worry, be happy."

• Like 3
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

The award for Song of the Year is even more obnoxious than the award for Record of the Year because it is a songwriting award. For songs that have lyrics more interesting or thoughtful  than "Don't worry, be happy."

It was basically a Lifetime Achievement award early, for the only mainstream hit Bobby McFerrin would ever have.

(And I liked the Robin Williams/Bill Irwin video, thank you.)

28-e1450397682575.png

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I guess it was just their way of honoring her one more time.  I wonder if she would have won had she not passed away. 

I don't think that's fair. I've seen Gardens of the World and own it. It deserved some award. I think the Grammy was for a Children's recording. I haven't listened to that.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I don't think that's fair. I've seen Gardens of the World and own it. It deserved some award. I think the Grammy was for a Children's recording. I haven't listened to that.

omg, I just went and viewed the episode about roses on youtube, it was AMAZING!

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

omg, I'm scared to watch the JAPANESE GARDENS one, I may DIE!

The series originally ran just a few days after she passed away, which made it even more special.

• Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

omg, I just went and viewed the episode about roses on youtube, it was AMAZING!

Yes, its a great series. For gardeners or anyone! Especially for this dreary time of the year.

So sad to hear that Christopher Plummer has passed away.  He was a really wonderful and really amazing actor.  Wasn’t he and we all really loved him a whole lot.  Didn’t we and we’ll all really miss him a whole lot.  Won’t we?  He will always forever be remembered as Captain Von Trap in Rogers & Hammerstein’s The Sound Of Music.  A few years ago.  When it was the 50th Anniversary.  They showed it at the TCM Classic Film Festival and he and Julie Andrews both attended.  Remember?  I would have really loved to have met him.  If Julie Andrews attends again and depending on when I get to go.  I’ll still have a chance to meet her there sometime.  So he’s been in all kinds of movies.  Including made for TV movies right?  Remember when he was in Dragnet with Dan Akroyed and Tom Hanks?  He was the bad guy right and when he was the narrator for Madeline?  He’d also done Broadway right?  He was a really wonderful man.  Wasn’t he?  RIP Christopher.  We’ll all really miss you a whole lot and we all really love you a whole lot.  I’m sure there will be a tribute to him soon.  I’ll be tivoing and watching.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

GOD, ISNT IT THOUGH?!

at least 31 DAYS isn’t til April!

I need to find mine and rewatch it again. Feb. has been worse than Jan. here. :(

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

February is also the death month. 
my surrogate dog passed away suddenly this weekend. It just sunk in today. 

AWFUL. I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah, Feb may be short but its the last winter month and that makes it hard to get through....so many months before it, one gets drained.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Man, so downer a thread.  Cheer up folks.  Life's ok.

Well, death is a downer. The thread is about the death of an actor.

The thread is about the career of the actor.  What I was referring to was not the discussion of his life, but the pall of depression being cast over it.  Tribute is celebration.  Gratitude for what he has given us.

38 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

The thread is about the career of the actor.  What I was referring to was not the discussion of his life, but the pall of depression being cast over it.  Tribute is celebration.  Gratitude for what he has given us.

Everyone's going through a tough time these days so if the deaths of some of our film favourites impacts some more emotionally now it's hardly a surprise. I don't really think telling people, in essence, "Come on. Cheer up. Life's great" is going to change that.

• Like 1

Please don't misrepresent what I post in order to trivialize it.  Someone intent on dwelling on the morbid aspects of life obviously will not be turned from it with simple statements.  My hope is it will jog the discussion away from a downward spiral of moroseness and focus on the gifts of Mr. Plummer's we can treasure.