Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, Millenniumman said:

Without more modern films from the 80s,90s etc it will become increasingly more difficult to compete I think that's why their showing so many recently.

However, I don't think they are competing for the same type of audience.

TCM just needs to stay visible and relevant.

I always have to chuckle whenever I see someone come on here and say something like, "All I see is movies from 80s being shown [on TCM]".

And primarily because almost without fail after turning on my TV and hitting the Guide button on my cable remote control and then scrolling down to channel 237 to see what's on TCM at the time, it almost inevitably or at least many more than not is showing movies that star Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, Gary Cooper, Joan Crawford and many many others who worked for the major movie studios back in the day, and none of whom as I recall ever made an awful lot of movies during the decade when shoulder pads made a short-lived fashion comeback.

(...i.e. the "1980s")

• Like 1
On 2/9/2021 at 11:59 PM, HoldenIsHere said:

Was the original poster even referring to programming on TCM?

By their "All I see is movies from 80s being shown"  comment I think not.

Possibly (likely?)  they are talking about the MOVIES! TV network.  The title of the thread after all is "Movies."

Not too long ago someone posted a complaint on the  TCM boards about a movie being scheduled in "parts"  and they were actually talking about something scheduled on MOVIES! *

*The exclamation point is part of the network's name; it's not my emphasis.

Heh.  I often watch something on MOVIES! too, and they often show films made in the mid to late '40's( the station having their own "Noir" presentations) to early-mid '50's.   And I also brought up movies made in the '80's  approaching 40 years of age.  Seems to fit the TCM criteria to me.  So, what's the real complaint here?

Age denial?  Hates the thought that movies that were "current" when they were kids now thought of as "classic" in the "old movie" sense?  ;)  Well, welcome to the CLUB, POPS!  :D

Sepiatone

movies from the earlier 20th century decades deserve their classic status simply by virtue of being better made and better conceptualized...

now crap from the 80s and 90s is classic?

:lol:

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

movies from the earlier 20th century decades deserve their classic status simply by virtue of being better made and better conceptualized...

now crap from the 80s and 90s is classic?

:lol:

Amen!  TCM is where I go to get away from the 80s thru today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 9:45 AM, chinaseas said:

Is this a classic movie channel.  All I see is movies from 80s being shown.  Too me a classic film is from the 1920 to the 1950. I use to watch and record movies all the time but  now not so much. Please keep it a classic movie channel.

As I just posted a new thread today titled:  Digesting and calculating MovieCollectorOH's American Studio Films by years, I think you may find the following American made studio films by periods of time very interesting:

1994 - 2020

60,653 total American Studio Films shown on TCM (no repeats)

1915 - 1959
48,205 films
79.5%

1915 - 1969
55,376 films
91.3%

1960 - 2020
12,438 films
20.5%

1970 - 2020
5,157 films
8.7%