Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Men Are Not Gods (1936)

Men Are Not Gods (1936) Miriam Hopkins went to England to film this romantic drama.  A favor for the devoted wife of a fledgling actor brings Miriam’s character new friends, but also envelops her in a romantic triangle that turns dangerous. The love/sex dualism is presented as a male entitlement, but for women a painful bargain fraught with longing and loneliness. The mood is brightened by wry comedic touches, as well as lovely shots of London landmarks. Hopkins’ performance is made memorable by a scene in which she bluntly and powerfully confronts the one-sided choices women are asked to make.  Men are indeed not gods, but some of them aspire to be. This film features Rex Harrison in an early role, and also stars famed British stage actress Gertrude Lawrence.    

18 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Men Are Not Gods (1936) Miriam Hopkins went to England to film this romantic drama.  A favor for the devoted wife of a fledgling actor brings Miriam’s character new friends, but also envelops her in a romantic triangle that turns dangerous. The love/sex dualism is presented as a male entitlement, but for women a painful bargain fraught with longing and loneliness. The mood is brightened by wry comedic touches, as well as lovely shots of London landmarks. Hopkins’ performance is made memorable by a scene in which she bluntly and powerfully confronts the one-sided choices women are asked to make.  Men are indeed not gods, but some of them aspire to be. This film features Rex Harrison in an early role, and also stars famed British stage actress Gertrude Lawrence.    

Did TCM show this?   If it did,  I'm a fool for missing it since this is a Hopkins film I wanted to see.     

Image result for men are not gods

45 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did TCM show this?   If it did,  I'm a fool for missing it since this is a Hopkins film I wanted to see.     

Image result for men are not gods

Yes.

7th of january

the smiling lieutenant
trouble in paradise
design for living
dr. jekyll and mr. hyde
men are not gods

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 12.23.09 PM

1 hour ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Nice write-up. I enjoy this film very much too. Early feminism for sure!

Too bad Hopkins & Harrison didn't do another film together later, something with a big Hollywood budget.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Nice write-up. I enjoy this film very much too. Early feminism for sure!

Too bad Hopkins & Harrison didn't do another film together later, something with a big Hollywood budget.

Thanks TB!  Yes, Hopkins and Harrison together in a screwball comedy or drama, romantic or otherwise, would have been nice to see. 

• Like 1