Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lover of all things Joan Leslie! <3

Hi, guys! My name is Rocky, and I am new to the TCM forums. Nice to meet all of you.

Joan. Leslie. There is no other face from Hollywood's Golden Age that I would rather gaze upon than Joan Leslie's. I'm Italian on my father's side, so having a thing for Irish girls comes naturally to me. I have watched most of her movies. It's such a shame that her career tanked in the late '40s because she deserved better. Anyway, any other Joan Leslie fans on here? Let's talk!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, rockybkip7 said:

Hi, guys! My name is Rocky, and I am new to the TCM forums. Nice to meet all of you.

Joan. Leslie. There is no other face from Hollywood's Golden Age that I would rather gaze upon than Joan Leslie's. I'm Italian on my father's side, so having a thing for Irish girls comes naturally to me. I have watched most of her movies. It's such a shame that her career tanked in the late '40s because she deserved better. Anyway, any other Joan Leslie fans on here? Let's talk!

I'm a Joan Leslie fan.    The problem for Joan was that she signed with Warner Bros.  and that studio pushed their male actors and associated projects (with the exception of Bette Davis).    This impacted the careers of all their female talent like Olivia DeHavilland,  Ida Lupino, and Ann Sheridan,  as well as newer actresses like Alexis Smith.   

Still Joan had some file roles in films like High Sierra (with Bogart),  Sergeant York (with Cooper),  The Male Animal (with Fonda),    and Yankee Doodle Dandy (with Cagney).     She was also a secondary leading actress in The Hard Way, with Ida Lupino,     The few chances Joan was given as the star of a film where just not good films; E.g. Cinderella Jones and Janie Gets Married.  

After taking WB to court and leaving the studio,  she was offered only a few solid roles in films like Repeat Performance for Eagle-Lion (her best lead performance IMO) and  Born to Be Bad,   with Joan Fontaine.    She ended her career going to Republic doing mostly second-rate westerns.

Image result for joan leslie

• Like 1

screen-shot-2019-04-02-at-2.22.34-pm.jpe

I agree that REPEAT PERFORMANCE (1947) is her best movie.

Though I certainly think her films at Republic are worth seeing. 

I just love JUBILEE TRAIL (1954). A lot of money and top of the line production values went into that film as it starred Vera Ralston, the wife of studio boss Herbert Yates. Joan plays the secondary lead, and she does well supporting Ralston while also making her own role stand out.

But she didn't do only westerns at Republic Pictures. She had a lead in FLIGHT NURSE (1953) an "A" war film directed by Allan Dwan that paired her with Forrest Tucker and Ben Cooper.

After appearing in five films at Republic, she would support Jane Russell in THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER (1956) at 20th Century Fox.

She turned to television from this point forward. Not long ago I watched an episode of the 80s crime drama Simon & Simon in which she plays the put-upon but faithful secretary of an aging gumshoe. It was a spoof of noir classics and it was fun to watch her in a comic role later in her career. I was surprised by what bright red hair she had!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Joan  Leslie  made  an  underrated  Western   ,  Woman  They  Almost  Lynched  1953.   I  liked  the movie  and  Joan  has  a  gunfight  with Audrey Totter.  Their  head to  head duel is like Joan  Crawford  vs  Mercedes  McCambridge  in  Johnny  Guitar.  This  movie  had  a  good  cast  Joan  Leslie ,  Audrey  Totter, John  Lund,  Brian  Donlevy   and  Jim  Davis. Woman  They  Almost  Lynched   is  an  enjoyable  movie  and  I  have  the  DVD.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cinemaman said:

Joan  Leslie  made  an  underrated  Western   ,  Woman  They  Almost  Lynched  1953.   I  liked  the movie  and  Joan  has  a  gunfight  with Audrey Totter.  Their  head to  head duel is like Joan  Crawford  vs  Mercedes  McCambridge  in  Johnny  Guitar.  This  movie  had  a  good  cast  Joan  Leslie ,  Audrey  Totter, John  Lund,  Brian  Donlevy   and  Jim  Davis. Woman  They  Almost  Lynched   is  an  enjoyable  movie  and  I  have  the  DVD.

Sounds like a great one!

On 2/15/2021 at 6:34 PM, rockybkip7 said:

Definitely aFan of Hers,.

🌈👙🎨🌈🌈🌈.

I Have.. ... (Easily) TWO.. ..Favorite Film (Performances) of Hers...

(*no particular "favourite" order for these two either ..

Sergeant York ..

and Yankee Doodle Dandy.. (which.. ..incidentally.. ...i was just now clumsily referencing and speaking upon in a(n) alternate different thread just now.. .