Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

55 minutes ago, otimusprime1 said:

i would like to see some Godzilla movies

TCM played Destroy All Monsters a few weeks ago. Godzilla has a leading role.

destfeat-640x330.jpg

if you watch the old americanized version with Raymond Burr just before Godzilla reaches Burr's building he incinerates a cab and the audio effect of the japanese cabbie getting cooked has to be heard because it is perhaps the most hilarious sound effect in cinema history.

• Haha 1

I know they haven’t shown this one here on TCM.  But remember the remake in 1998 with Matthew Broderick?  I like the part where he’s listening to Gene Kelly singing and singing Singin In The Rain in his Jeep at the beginning.

23 hours ago, otimusprime1 said:

i would like to see some Godzilla movies

So would I, but they're all over on the Criterion section of HBOMax.

Criterion made a deal with Toho and TCM didn't, that's why TCM's stuck showing the "out of copyright" off-canon Destroy All Monsters, like the other cheap streaming services have to.

I know they haven’t shown this one here on TCM.  But remember the remake in 1998 with Matthew Broderick?  I like the part where he’s listening to Gene Kelly singing and singing Singin In The Rain in his Jeep at the beginning.

I think it's safe to say, no one has ever FORGOTTEN the '98 Matthew Broderick Godzilla.  😅

Least of all the Japanese, who still joke about that "tuna-eating" Godzilla, whenever they want to dismiss clueless American-marketed attempts to intrude on "sacred" Japanese culture.

56 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

The original GOJIRA (1954) is stunning.  Any other film or the USA cut of the original are inferior.

I love some of the original japanese dialogue like...

"Tenabe, I  have seen it! a creature from the jurassic period."

that's my kind of dino lingo.

:)

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

The original GOJIRA (1954) is stunning.  Any other film or the USA cut of the original are inferior.

Another movie, like Frankenstein (1931), that is a victim of its own success.  It spawned an entire genre of take-offs and sequels, fun enough to watch in their own right, but which were essentially campy exploitation that robbed the original of due respect for its more sober elements.  A fine movie, exciting, well-crafted, and at times moving.  The identification of the scientist (Dr. Serizawa) who develops the doomsday weapon with the monster, who both share the same fate, sends a powerful cautionary message.  Its open discussion of atomic weapons and parallels with Hiroshima and Nagasaki must have been a shock to Japanese audiences.  The monster's morphing from destroyer to ally and protector of the Japanese people, notwithstanding his continual leveling of Tokyo, must be a way for them to feel in control over the horror of nuclear weapons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Another movie, like Frankenstein (1931), that is a victim of its own success.

You obviously understand my opinion.  Great remarks.  I will reassert: GOJIRA is stunning.  Much better than its successors and it itself should be; crafted by real talent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

My brother in law brought that up yesterday( through HBO max)   Impressive effects, but otherwise a bore for me.   But was glad to see Tokyo spared in this one.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I expect Godzilla vs Kong to ultimately disappoint because of the liberal hollywood film makers' bias against Godzilla. They have probably favored Kong because they see him as a liberal giant hairy monster and effiminate hairy ape who can be cajoled by some dam kid while they see Godzilla as a big bad unrepentively destructive reptile Republican,

the latter is the formula which has caused Godzilla to endure for many decades far beyond simply a guy in a monster suit.

12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I expect Godzilla vs Kong to ultimately disappoint because of the liberal hollywood film makers' bias against Godzilla. They have probably favored Kong because they see him as a liberal giant hairy monster and effiminate hairy ape who can be cajoled by some dam kid while they see Godzilla as a big bad unrepentively destructive reptile Republican,

the latter is the formula which has caused Godzilla to endure for many decades far beyond simply a guy in a monster suit.

Ah but then both monsters are eastern, with Godzilla having a very definite Japanese origin, so we have one of those problematic intersectional conundrums. Ultimately, they must join forces to wipe out non POC. It's the only safe way out.

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Ah but then both monsters are eastern, with Godzilla having a very definite Japanese origin, so we have one of those problematic intersectional conundrums. Ultimately, they must join forces to wipe out non POC. It's the only safe way out.

Like to know when Kong went from climbing a skyscraper to big enough knocking over one? 

Remember when he was so easy to kill?  That's the most memorable thing on top of the Empire State building since a that failed airship tried to dock with it.

kingkong1933.2690.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

snoopy-eye-roll.png