Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why is this movie so rarely shown? it is pretty good with an exceptional and moody music score.

John Agar gives a good performance. much better than The Hideous Sun Demon.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, laffite said:

We thought you just wanted us to look at the poster.

it's not a bad movie. glad to see Paula Raymond had at least one bright spot before starring in the Blood of Dracula's castle.

the little boy on the beach who almost stumbles on to the mutated Alex Marsh is Butch Patrick.

This may well be John Agar's worst movie (which is saying quite a bit), but, in fairness, I still haven't seen Zontar, The Thing from Venus, so I must reserve judgment. But no matter how you look at this film (and I don't recommend you look at it), it stinks.

Agar plays a scientist who comes up with a half-a**ed idea to mix a hypnotic drug with a paralyzing nerve gas. What could possibly go wrong here? He informs another scientist, played by Roy Gordon. Gordon is in a wheelchair, because he performed an experiment using a live polio virus. Guess how that turned out? Gordon, coincidentally, played Allison Hayes' doctor in Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, which was another medical disaster. You know, it's idiots like these guys that drive up our healthcare costs. If stupidity were a pre-condition, these guys would be covered for life.

Agar manages to knock over a flask containing his concoction, and then compounds the problem by trying to wipe up the stuff with his bare hands. Apparently his degree program never included a course in lab safety. He then falls asleep, and we are treated to a montage of flying flasks, floating lab mice, and images of Shirley Temple. The next day, his lab assistant notices that Agar has a tan. This is the last thing the lab assistant notices, because Agar touches him and the assistant is fried on contact. Agar quickly realizes that anything he touches he destroys; therefore, he briefly considers running for U.S. Congress. Instead, Agar burns down his lab and sets off in his car to tell Gordon what is going on.

Gordon notices that Agar is now somewhere beyond John Boehner on the George Hamilton tan-o-meter. Gordon unsuccessfully tries to restore Agar to his normal look; the end result is that Gordon gets flame-broiled as well by Agar's lethal fingers. When Agar's girlfriend (played by Paula Raymond) shows up, he has now completed his transformation into what can only be described as a Tootsie Roll © with appendages. At this point, I couldn't tell if that was Agar under the makeup, or someone else who just needed a paycheck.

The creature wanders around L.A., creating some minor mayhem like scaring a woman carrying grocery bags. It then sizzles a cab driver. In all honesty, here I was rooting for the creature, because the cab driver had to be the dumbest character of all time. He sees this mumbling monster in his back seat, refuses to take it anywhere, and orders it out of his cab. This does not end well for the cabbie.

Eventually, the Agar-thing is shot on the beach by the police and irate candy makers. It washes away, like Agar's career.

For anyone still interested, Butch "Eddie Munster" Patrick has a part as a kid who sees Agar napping on the beach and keeps trying to touch him. Former Three Stooges' Joe Besser shows up as a gas station attendant, and is eventually barbecued by Agar's hands. If the screenwriter had any brains, he would have had Besser blurt out his trademark "Oww ... not so hard."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

again, I didn't find it all that bad. the pace really picked up after Carlo drops dead and agar panicks and douses the lab with kerosene or something, torches the lab and he's off to LA with his hastily packed briefcase.

DVD Review: Hand Of Death (1962). | The Hannibal 8

"do you sell gloves here?"

Hand of Death (1962) | monsterminions

Hand Death Usa 1962 Regie High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

274 John Agar Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

John Agar at Brian's Drive-In Theater

John Agar and Shirley Temple | John Agar Picture #10123044 - 368 x 472 -  FanPix.Net

John Agar High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

agar has gotten a bum rap. he was good in those scifi B movies.

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

At this point, I couldn't tell if that was Agar under the makeup, or someone else who just needed a paycheck.

Maybe it was Agar who needed the paycheck. 

But seriously, how did you do that copyright symbol?  So cool.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:54 AM, NipkowDisc said:

Why is this movie so rarely shown? it is pretty good with an exceptional and moody music score.

You must not get the Fox Movie Channel. They often get into ruts where they'll run the same movie every morning for a week or two, and they just did that with this movie. It must have been on at least 7 or 8 times in just the last two or three weeks. 

But you're right about the movie not being shown before the Fox Movie Channel started running it in the last few years. Being a Three Stooges fan I was interested to see it because Joe Besser is in it, and it just never turned up for years until these recent Fox Movie Channel showings.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Maybe it was Agar who needed the paycheck. 

But seriously, how did you do that copyright symbol?  So cool.

Hold down the "alt" key and then type 0169 on your number pad (the numbers on the rightof your keyboard)

2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I had read somewhere that JOHN AGAR drank and had not treated SHIRLEY right and that was why  they divorced...

so he tied a few on. at least she knew she married a real man's man.

:)

John Agar quote: Heck, I drank no more than John Wayne or Ward...