Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

All they had to do was give him larger sized clothing and pad the clothing to make him look a bit heavier and even bloated. A wealthy man eating at fancy restaurants, consuming highly caloric sauces, drinking lots of wine and probably eating meat for every meal because he can afford it, he is not going to be slender.

Since the character was a thinly veiled take on Hearst, we can look at Hearst at that age and see he was not thin like a 25 year old! Again I think Welles and the make-up department concentrated too much on making his facial features look older and failed to take into account how the rest of that man's body would have aged.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter.  First off, and IMHO, Welles really wasn't that "slender" to begin with, and did(to me) look heavier in his elder Kane scenes than at the beginning of the saga.   And...

That part I put in "bold" is a fairly blatant presumption.   First, in claiming the character of Kane wasn't merely BASED on Hearst, but meant to be a CARICATURE of Hearst, all the way down to Hearst's appearance.  Second, that there's NO variance in the appearance of ANY 25 year old.  At 25, I was much thinner than my BROTHER was at 25,   And I have a nephew who, at 25 was twice the size I was at that age.  Thing is, I am now, at 70(this July)  not so thin anymore, while that nephew is HALF the size he was then.  You seem to be making too many assumptions based on what some people think SHOULD be rather than what IS.  And really, you couldn't really have expected the elder Kane to look like the elder WELLES turned out to look like, right?   I'll bet at 25, Welles had NO IDEA he'd balloon out the way he did.  Hell.  At 25 I had no idea I would either!  :o

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Vidor said:

I'm for more Nasim Pedrad in the world by any means necessary.

I can't say I've seen any of her performances. I never saw her on Saturday Night Live.

For me, in an action film, I think it depends on if the character is written to be the same age as the actor or actress. Sticking to the Tom Cruise example, I believe that he can physically do the things he does in movies. What works less for me is how so many of his characters are ageless blank slates. The movies wouldn't be any different if the character was 30. I find someone like Liam Neeson more believable, and the main reason is that his characters seem like they had a life before the movie started.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Vanessa17 said:

For me, in an action film, I think it depends on if the character is written to be the same age as the actor or actress. Sticking to the Tom Cruise example, I believe that he can physically do the things he does in movies. What works less for me is how so many of his characters are ageless blank slates. The movies wouldn't be any different if the character was 30. I find someone like Liam Neeson more believable, and the main reason is that his characters seem like they had a life before the movie started.

Interesting observation. Does your perception of the lead change depending on the love interest they assign to him? Like if Cruise is supposed to be involved with a woman half his age?

On 2/26/2021 at 7:46 AM, TopBilled said:

Interesting observation. Does your perception of the lead change depending on the love interest they assign to him? Like if Cruise is supposed to be involved with a woman half his age?

It doesn't help. I think a movie can still have a big age gap between the lead and their love interest if there are other aspects that contribute to the actor seeming their age. The example that comes to my mind first is the Fast & Furious movies. The men in that series are still a few years younger than Cruise, but it is noticeable that the new male characters are getting older while the new love interests remain the same age. Except for Vin Diesel's character, it seems like men are supposed to be about the same age as the actor that plays them. They do interact with women over 40, and they have (possibly overly complicated) backstories.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Weren't the whole cast in 1978's GREASE too old to be playing teenagers? 

Particularly Stockard Channing who was already in her mid-30's playing the sassy Rizzo.

John Travolta and Olivia Newtown John could pull it off playing teens but Stockard looked every year her age.

12 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Weren't the whole cast in 1978's GREASE too old to be playing teenagers? 

Particularly Stockard Channing who was already in her mid-30's playing the sassy Rizzo.

John Travolta and Olivia Newtown John could pull it off playing teens but Stockard looked every year her age.

I would tend to agree with this.

A few nights ago I finally got around to watching THE SOUND AND THE FURY. Released in 1959, probably filmed in late '58. The first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that Joanne Woodward, good as she is as an actress, was simply too old to be playing a teenager. Indeed, she was 28 almost 29 when the movie was made. 

This type of casting might be okay on the stage (maybe) but in a movie, when you have close-ups and extreme close-ups, you can tell that a woman pushing 30 does not look like a teenager.

Apparently the producer's first choice for the role was Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn was a year older than Woodward!

The character should have been played by someone more age appropriate like Sandra Dee.

• Like 1

the creeps at paramount saw to it that william shatner aged out of one of the most significant roles of 20th century science fiction...the skunks!

"they didn't get away with it, nip, their treatment of me brought about the ruination of star trek. they didn't want it but that's what they got.

everyone knows I'm right up there with Tom Corbett and Captain Video."

Star Trek's William Shatner Celebrates His 90th Birthday | TREKNEWS.NET |  Your daily dose of Star Trek news and opinion

• Haha 1

I think this is the danger of casting 2021 sensibilities onto films made many decades ago. In those days, men did marry women much younger than themselves.(William Powell for example). Why wouldn't that carry onto the screen. And remember, this is entertainment. Guys want to imagine themselves with much younger women. They would pay to see that.

Especially in those days(and right now), movies were/are escapism. Not meant to be totally real. Some people want to see their favorite stars on the screen regardless of age.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:42 PM, TopBilled said:

Interesting points. But how long can we expect Ford and Cruise to keep playing these roles, realistically?

What about female actors...will Gal Gadot have a long run as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman?

Well, Famke Janssen and Rebecca Romijn certainly got removed from the X Men franchise. So I would imagine her tenure to end up quite short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see 007 mentioned.  Moore, although my favorite Bond, was way too old in the last two films he did.  It was just unbelievable that some of the girls would be drawn to him yet alone the action sequences.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

Glad to see 007 mentioned.  Moore, although my favorite Bond, was way too old in the last two films he did.  It was just unbelievable that some of the girls would be drawn to him yet alone the action sequences.

Women will always be drawn to alpha-males.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, GGGGerald said:

I think this is the danger of casting 2021 sensibilities onto films made many decades ago. In those days, men did marry women much younger than themselves.(William Powell for example). Why wouldn't that carry onto the screen. And remember, this is entertainment. Guys want to imagine themselves with much younger women. They would pay to see that.

Especially in those days(and right now), movies were/are escapism. Not meant to be totally real. Some people want to see their favorite stars on the screen regardless of age.

Well, Famke Janssen and Rebecca Romijn certainly got removed from the X Men franchise. So I would imagine her tenure to end up quite short.

They didn't so much as get removed as the films shifted storylines- going back to prequels and re-introducing those characters as younger versions on themselves in the 80's.

I don't know about Godot, but if she gets replaced as WW i have a feeling it will be because WB can't get the DCCU right and are now toying with a re-boot.  (Wish they would continue with Zach Snyder's original planned trilogy for the Justice League and Superman, WW and Bat-Fleck)  But I will say that i couldn't believe how good Lynda Carter looked in her brief cameo in WW84.  She's 70?!  Wow!  Give her another shot at playing WW.

7 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

They didn't so much as get removed as the films shifted storylines- going back to prequels and re-introducing those characters as younger versions on themselves in the 80's.

I don't know about Godot, but if she gets replaced as WW i have a feeling it will be because WB can't get the DCCU right and are now toying with a re-boot.  (Wish they would continue with Zach Snyder's original planned trilogy for the Justice League and Superman, WW and Bat-Fleck)  But I will say that i couldn't believe how good Lynda Carter looked in her brief cameo in WW84.  She's 70?!  Wow!  Give her another shot at playing WW.

What would you call that, aging back into a role? :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What would you call that, aging back into a role? :) 

Going back to Bond, I always thought it would be cool if they did another film with Lazenby as an aged Bond and just have it in a different universe as the Craig version (although it is already canon that Craig is his own Bond and all of the others were a different, but same, Bond up to him.  I feel like UA/MGM takes the Bond franchise a bit too seriously and could have a bit of fun with it by doing multiple projects/timelines. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Going back to Bond, I always thought it would be cool if they did another film with Lazenby as an aged Bond and just have it in a different universe as the Craig version (although it is already canon that Craig is his own Bond and all of the others were a different, but same, Bond up to him.  I feel like UA/MGM takes the Bond franchise a bit too seriously and could have a bit of fun with it by doing multiple projects/timelines. 

Interesting idea. You mentioned Moore being your favorite Bond, and he's my favorite too.

Though my favorite 007 film is ON HIS MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969) because although Lazenby is a weak actor, I think the script is well-written. We get some insights into Bond that the other films don't necessarily provide.

It also helps that we see him married and widowed, since it humanizes him substantially.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting idea. You mentioned Moore being your favorite Bond, and he's my favorite too.

Though my favorite 007 film is ON HIS MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969) because although Lazenby is a weak actor, I think the script is well-written. We get some insights into Bond that the other films don't necessarily provide.

It also helps that we see him married and widowed, since it humanizes him substantially.

I visited the area in Switzerland where the mountaintop scenes were filmed and the hotel I stayed at ran that movie on a loop 24/7.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I visited the area in Switzerland where the mountaintop scenes were filmed and the hotel I stayed at ran that movie on a loop 24/7.

I have been to St. Moritz in Switzerland and that town is mentioned in two Bond films.    About 24 years ago I drove there on my honeymoon when we were staying at a fairly large hotel on the Italian alps side.

The drive to St. Moritz was nice but it was the scariest road I have ever been on.   Very steep, winding road with access for only two cars, both direction. 

Another funny thing is  that when we woke up in the morning the Hotel was empty.    We were there in late September and the hotel closed for the season.     My Italian wife talked to the owner and it was clear they made a mistake by giving us a 3 day reservation.   Once he knew we were on our honeymoon he gave us a key,  so we could  access anything in the hotel and his family did the maid services.   He offered to have us eat with his family each day but we declined that.    It was like we were in The Shining!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have been to St. Moritz in Switzerland and that town is mentioned in two Bond films.    About 24 years ago I drove there on my honeymoon when we were staying at a fairly large hotel on the Italian alps side.

The drive to St. Moritz was nice but it was the scariest road I have ever been on.   Very steep, winding road with access for only two cars, both direction. 

Another funny thing is  that when we woke up in the morning the Hotel was empty.    We were there in late September and the hotel closed for the season.     My Italian wife talked to the owner and it was clear they made a mistake by giving us a 3 day reservation.   Once he knew we were on our honeymoon he gave us a key,  so we could  access anything in the hotel and his family did the maid services.   He offered to have us eat with his family each day but we declined that.    It was like we were in The Shining!

Did you talk to the twins?

• Haha 1

Speaking of ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE . . . I can't even make myself watch it due to George Lazenby being a "nothing" as Bond.  Diana Rigg could've done a "one-off" as Jamie Bond and it would've been a better movie.  Diana was tough enough to pull off a role as a seasoned female spy in place of Nothing George. 

I remember reading the Leonard Maltin review of KID BLUE (1973) starring Dennis Hopper.  It said "Hopper is too old for his role".  I've since watched KID BLUE and concluded I had no notion of what the reviewer meant.  Hopper's character is simply a shiftless young man who likes robbing things, esp. trains.  No reason was given in the capsule review of why Hopper was supposedly too old for his role . . .

And so it goes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Speaking of ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE . . . I can't even make myself watch it due to George Lazenby being a "nothing" as Bond.  

He's quite convincing as a fighter. Very tough customer, that George.