Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lazenby was on an episode of the Canadian news-comedy program  This Hour Has 22 Minutes and played James Bond in a skit. Bond is quite old (75-80?) at this point and as the diabolical Dr. Evil is telling Bond what a horrible death awaits him as he's tied down to a table, Bond falls asleep. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have been to St. Moritz in Switzerland and that town is mentioned in two Bond films.    About 24 years ago I drove there on my honeymoon when we were staying at a fairly large hotel on the Italian alps side.

The drive to St. Moritz was nice but it was the scariest road I have ever been on.   Very steep, winding road with access for only two cars, both direction. 

Another funny thing is  that when we woke up in the morning the Hotel was empty.    We were there in late September and the hotel closed for the season.     My Italian wife talked to the owner and it was clear they made a mistake by giving us a 3 day reservation.   Once he knew we were on our honeymoon he gave us a key,  so we could  access anything in the hotel and his family did the maid services.   He offered to have us eat with his family each day but we declined that.    It was like we were in The Shining!

I found that the small hotel owner/operators were very cooperative in dealing with issues.  Due to a misunderstanding, I thought we had booked 2 nights at a hotel in Rothenburg Germany, but we had really only booked one night.  The owner called around and found us another room for the 2nd night.

On Her Majesty's... was filmed in the Mürren area, and the villages up on the mountain are car free, so no driving!  You park down in the valley and take either a very steep cable car lift (two actually to get to Mürren, and then two more to get up to the top where the film was shot) or a train.  The town has about 500 permanent residents, but has over 2000 hotel rooms.

You can also hike up if you wish.  We hiked down and took the lift back up!  The video shows the "Bond World" attraction on top of the mountain, but when I was there, it was simply a restaurant up there and not quite so touristy.

This video shows the trip up and the "Bond World" area on top.  It was a cloud free day, which is rare at that elevation.

• Like 2

Some actors naturally look older than they are.   Jo Van Fleet was 40 when she played 38 year old Susan Hayward's mother in 1955's I'll Cry Tomorrow.   That same year, Van Fleet also played James Dean's mother in East of Eden, but he was 24 so that was a bit more realistic.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

Some actors naturally look older than they are.   Jo Van Fleet was 40 when she played 38 year old Susan Hayward's mother in 1955's I'll Cry Tomorrow.   That same year, Van Fleet also played James Dean's mother in East of Eden, but he was 24 so that was a bit more realistic.

And some actors can look authentic playing way older characters,  regardless of their natural look;   I.e. they don't look like a much younger actor with a lot of make-up.

Walter Brennan comes to mind.      Of course since one rarely see actors "naturally" I don't know how one would know this.

E.g.  I looked up Jo Van Fleet when receiving her Oscar;  Is how one looks when going to such an award show their "natural" look?

I assume it is much different than how one looks right after they get out of bed!

I've been thinking of a movie in which the cast was already "aged out" of their roles, 2010's Robin Hood, with Russell Crowe (who was 54 at the time) and Kate Blanchett.    At least one critic claimed this film leached all joy out of the legend.   One does wonder how this can compete with the lithe 20-something Errol Flynn and the doe-eyed Olivia deHavilland, just out of her teens.   Incredibly, the director and producer of the 2010 film were considering a sequel.    

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rosebette said:

I've been thinking of a movie in which the cast was already "aged out" of their roles, 2010's Robin Hood, with Russell Crowe (who was 54 at the time) and Kate Blanchett.    At least one critic claimed this film leached all joy out of the legend.   One does wonder how this can compete with the lithe 20-something Errol Flynn and the doe-eyed Olivia deHavilland, just out of her teens.   Incredibly, the director and producer of the 2010 film were considering a sequel.    

Crowe may have been a little bit long in the tooth for the role, and there's no argument that Errol Flynn's Robin Hood is THE ultimate version of the character, I still enjoy the Crowe/Ridley Scott film for what it is. It's a more serious take of the legend, whereas Flynn's movie was more fun-like and adventurous.

I suppose one could say that 1991's ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES was somewhere in between being fun and serious. Still can't take Costner seriously in the title role though. Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham makes the film.

So here's a thought I had--

Voices don't age like bodies do. Most of the time. (Of course a voice can change because of smoking or surgery.)

Anyway, a lot of older stars end up doing voice-over work in animated films because they might still sound young.

Since the voice usually doesn't age like the body does, I think singers have an advantage over actors. Grace Slick hit number one with Starship in 1987 at age 48 ("Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"). Cher had a number one song ("Believe") in 1998 at age 52. Tina Turner had a number one single ("I Don't Wanna Fight") in 1993 when she was 54.

And Madonna had her 50th number one song in 2020 ("I Don't Search I Find") at age 61.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 12.36.56 PM

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Crowe may have been a little bit long in the tooth for the role, and there's no argument that Errol Flynn's Robin Hood is THE ultimate version of the character, I still enjoy the Crowe/Ridley Scott film for what it is. It's a more serious take of the legend, whereas Flynn's movie was more fun-like and adventurous.

I suppose one could say that 1991's ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES was somewhere in between being fun and serious. Still can't take Costner seriously in the title role though. Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham makes the film.

Yeah, I have to admit I prefer Cary Elwes Robin in Men in Tights to Kevin Costner's midwestern twang (although I guess he was born in California!).    Alan Rickman steals the picture.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

The most ridiculous out-aged role I think I've ever seen was when Joan Crawford played Ty Hardin's lover in Berserk!

What was she - like 80??

Well, there was also her turn as her daughter's replacement on the soap opera Secret Storm, at age 65 or so, playing a 20-something.   Joan offered to do it, according to quotes attributed to her in articles at the time, so that Christina wouldn't lose her job while recuperating from emergency surgery.

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Well, there was also her turn as her daughter's replacement on the soap opera Secret Storm, at age 65 or so, playing a 20-something.   Joan offered to do it, according to quotes attributed to her in articles at the time, so that Christina wouldn't lose her job while recuperating from emergency surgery.

I know. Look up "weirdo" in the dictionary and see the picture of Joan. :lol:

9 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

How the heck did Joan think she could pull of the age difference? There's only so much that make up can do to hide your age difference, but to be playing someone in their 20's when you're well into  your 60's would be dang near impossible to pull off no matter how many cosmetics you applied to your face to appear younger.

9 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

How the heck did Joan think she could pull of the age difference? There's only so much that make up can do to hide your age difference, but to be playing someone in their 20's when you're well into  your 60's would be dang near impossible to pull off no matter how many cosmetics you applied to your face to appear younger.

Especially for Joan. She barely looked good when she was in her 20's.