Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

90,000 Packages Are Stolen in NYC Every Day.

90,000 Packages Are Stolen in NYC Every Day.

“Hello — My package was stolen on 10/1/2020. I came home to find the empty box (item removed) in the trash. It was a nice, gray women’s blazer. Please return to 5C, no questions asked.”

This veiled accusation set in motion a building-wide campaign to stop the petty theft afflicting the lobby of my unattended East Village walk-up, where I have lived since the 1990s.

Package theft wasn’t an issue when I first moved in during the Grunge years, although crack vials routinely littered our stoop. Sleepy addicts sometimes blocked the door. But these entryway inconveniences were minor compared with the constant robberies, which rapidly escalated last year.

My building was not alone. Forty-three percent of Americans shopping online experienced package theft last year, up from 36% in 2019, according to a recent market research study. Of that 43%, almost two-thirds reported packages having been stolen more than once. The New York Police Department does not keep data to that level of specificity, I was told, and the most recent figures available for the city estimated that 90,000 packages had disappeared every day in 2019. This number was bound to be higher in 2020, considering the thriving online economy.

When the police get defunded, the packages get refunded.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I guess the mayor of New York  thinks that expecting people not to steal your packages is the stuff of white privilege??? 

I don't know what race has to do with this issue. I live in a small town compared to a big place like New York City and I've had my packages stolen more than a few times in the last few years.

I think it's a national problem with all the new and additional online shopping.

The local news has shown videos of thieves following around the FedEx and the UPS trucks targeting individuals who are not at home.

FedEx has a thing now where you can pick up your packages at Walgreens if you want to.

Sometimes I do that and I'm not that far from the FedEx and the UPS office that I go in and get the packages myself.

Now on the other hand, my mail has been f***** up for several months since trump tried to defund the post office because he didn't want the Democratic ballots to come through.

So I would argue that my mail issue may be a political one and maybe a racist one too.

But you may not agree with me on that?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't know what race has to do with this issue. I live in a small town compared to a big place like New York City and I've had my packages stolen more than a few times in the last few years.

I think it's a national problem with all the new and additional online shopping.

The local news has shown videos of thieves following around the FedEx and the UPS trucks targeting individuals who are not at home.

FedEx has a thing now where you can pick up your packages at Walgreens if you want to.

Sometimes I do that and I'm not that far from the FedEx and the UPS office that I go in and get the packages myself.

Now on the other hand, my mail has been f***** up for several months since trump tried to defund the post office because he didn't want the Democratic ballots to come through.

So I would argue that my mail issue may be a political one and maybe a racist one too.

But you may not agree with me on that?

Up to this point I have not had this problem of porch piracy and I have lots of things delivered.  I live in a suburban/somewhat rural area. My mail has been screwed up too for several months since DeJoy got his paws on the post office. I think there is also a problem with supply chains. I have had the same brand of vitamin delivered to me like clockwork for 26 years. Since November I've had to call them every month. I also got two bottles of Vitamin B from a very reputable dealer in Texas that sent me two bottles of expired vitamins. It turns out they had been sent to her expired. These things just didn't happen a year ago. Ever. 

If anybody ever did steal anything off my porch I'm sure they would be quite disappointed. I'm sure a bunch of teen thieves are  not looking forward to a Blu of Tex Avery Screwball classics and a bottle of Vitamin D.  Although they would have a boosted immune system and a better appreciation for film history. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Vautrin said:

This whole thing is an antifa coordinated action. They'll be buying a lot more guns and bombs. Just

you wait and see. 

Well, they have to wait until warm weather to start setting fires in California again. What do you expect Antifa to do during winter? 

On 2/22/2021 at 9:13 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Sadly race has a lot to do with how the criminal justice system is run and what laws are enforced.    This is mostly from liberal Dem politicians.   E.g.  CA AG started a crack down on illegal food vendors due to health concerns and push back from brick and mortar business  (an illegal food vendor would set up right in front of their restaurant).  Repeat offenders had their carts confiscated.        Well once the AG learned that,   OMG,   the vast majority of those getting punished were Latinos (many illegal immigrants),   he stopped the crack down.     The same thing happens with writing tickets for illegal parking and other low level crimes.  

This is all related to the movement to defund the police,   and making many non-violence \ property crimes,  not crimes at all.    

I guess that doesn't happen in Kansas but it is here in CA.        

Hey,  justice reform is necessary (i.e. some laws should be repealed),  but that isn't close to enough for what the activist are demanding.     

4 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Well, they have to wait until warm weather to start setting fires in California again. What do you expect Antifa to do during winter? 

Start more fires. They can use some of those 90,000 packages they steal  every day, and keep warm as a bonus.