Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

some jewish groups want biden to revoke Trump's last pro-israel gift of allowing the israelis to put made in israel on their exported products.

I gotta plastic yellow pitcher which I really like very good for picnics which says Made in Israel underneath. I shall cherish it more than ever.

:)

On 2/24/2021 at 12:56 PM, NipkowDisc said:

some jewish groups want biden to revoke Trump's last pro-israel gift of allowing the israelis to put made in israel on their exported products.

I gotta plastic yellow pitcher which I really like very good for picnics which says Made in Israel underneath. I shall cherish it more than ever.

:)

Odd that you fail to state any reason for wanting this change.  You must get your info from the same sketchy sources MM uses.  ;)  And besides....

Since when did Israel, or any OTHER country need the "gift" of this country's "permission"  to print what they wish on their county's products?

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Odd that you fail to state any reason for wanting this change.  You must get your info from the same sketchy sources MM uses.  ;)  And besides....

Since when did Israel, or any OTHER country need the "gift" of this country's "permission"  to print what they wish on their county's products?

Sepiatone

The USA will not allow imports of goods that are mislabeled and thus deceptive.   The goods in question were made in the disputed territories.     (that was why I made the apartheid joke).

The U.N. has ruled that those territories are not part of Israel.   Of course Bibi etc..  say they are (by the grace of "god" no less).    

Trump made the change as a way to support Bibi and Bibi's plans to formally annex most of these disputed territories as part of Israel.

Are you getting it now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The USA will not allow imports of goods that are mislabeled and thus deceptive.   The goods in question were made in the disputed territories.     (that was why I made the apartheid joke).

The U.N. has ruled that those territories are not part of Israel.   Of course Bibi etc..  say they are (by the grace of "god" no less).    

Trump made the change as a way to support Bibi and Bibi's plans to formally annex most of these disputed territories as part of Israel.

Are you getting it now?

Ha!  I don't pay as close attention to what's going on over there( got more personal pressing issues to be able to keep up with what goes on with territories that have been in dispute since I can remember)

So it seems like Trump's "gift" really wan't "Pro-Israel", eh?  

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

But mainly, my point wasn't what imports America will or will not accept and for what reason( we still don't accept products like cigars and sugar, although NOT mislabeled  that are made in Cuba) but that no foreign country should require "permission" from The United States In order to import their products.    Regardless of how they're labeled.  That WE don't accept them in the United States is fine by me, and the reason is understandable.  But if other countries Israel imports to don't mind, well.....

Are YOU "getting it" now?  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

But mainly, my point wasn't what imports America will or will not accept and for what reason( we still don't accept products like cigars and sugar, although NOT mislabeled  that are made in Cuba) but that no foreign country should require "permission" from The United States In order to import their products.    Regardless of how they're labeled.  That WE don't accept them in the United States is fine by me, and the reason is understandable.  But if other countries Israel imports to don't mind, well.....

Are YOU "getting it" now?  ;) 

Sepiatone

There are  many, many trade agreements;  E.g.  that only French sparkling wine can be called Champagne.   You have heard of these,  I assume.

Just another example of where countries agree on branding and labeling when goods are sold between nations.    

Anyhow,  it was the Trump admin that removed the requirement Israel NOT label goes made in the disputed territories as "made in Israel".   (the EU had such a rule).       Now Biden has to decide if he wish to go back to the EU standard or leave what Trump did alone.   Same goes for the US Embassy.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, hamradio said:

We need some standards i.e. not importing junk.

81Jb8BEOHOL.jpg

You believe the US government should create more regulations on what Americans can and cannot purchase from foreign nations? 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

+You believe the US government should create more regulations on what Americans can and cannot purchase from foreign nations? 

Not regulations but a sort of lemon laws for products.

Had to toss out a Compact flash card reader after only a month of use, very poor standards made the pins bend.

Got an older version which was Made in Taiwan - it's well made.

31F9Y4FMMEL._AC_SX355_.jpg

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Not regulations but a sort of lemon laws for products.

Had to toss out a Compact flash card reader after only a month of use, very poor standards made the pins bend.

Got an older version which was Made in Taiwan - it's well made.

31F9Y4FMMEL._AC_SX355_.jpg

That is what Elizabeth Warren proposed and what she wanted the Consumer Protection agency to do,  that Trump killed.

Trump's business advisors believed such protection's are not necessary,  because there is already the concept of warranties:  the advise being don't purchase a product when there isn't a warranty.     

18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

That is what Elizabeth Warren proposed and what she wanted the Consumer Protection agency to do,  that Trump killed.

Trump's business advisors believed such protection's are not necessary,  because there is already the concept of warranties:  the advise being don't purchase a product when there isn't a warranty.     

Warranties are useless if cannot get them honored or have to go to more trouble or expense than it is worth.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Warranties are useless if cannot get them honored or have to go to more trouble or expense than it is worth.

So true.    This is why for inexpressive products it not worth having one.

Anyhow are you calling for more Federal government consumer protection like what Warren has been asking for?

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Anyhow are you calling for more Federal government consumer protection like what Warren has been asking for?

Yes, maybe, probably.  Not sure what Warren has been asking for, but we do need more than we have now.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Big Lots offered 30 day warranties for the inexpensive items they sell, only need to keep the receipt. My local store is hassle free.

$12 for this wireless mouse which has lasted me several years, not bad.

decd4d3f1ba505c4edd3772ea6fd6334.jpg

• Like 1

Back to the dead horse  ;) 

If the U.S. wishes to refuse having imports come into this country that are mislabeled(ie:  saying "made in Israel" when where in the region is in dispute) , then it would be up to that company(and Israel)  to properly label such product if they wish to peddle them in this country.  But my feeling is that it's NOT the task(or right) of the American government to command how those foreign businesses conduct those businesses.    However...

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

1.  Remember, "Caveat Emptor",  though not infallible , is still a good rule of thumb.

2.  I see nothing wrong with federal consumer protection that prevents corporations from profiting by misleading consumers.  Not everybody has the time to thoroughly investigate every mundane day-to-day items they regularly buy.    I say it's better that some taxpayer bucks go towards that instead of the many pork barrel items congressmen have lined their pockets with. 

Sepiatone

24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Back to the dead horse  ;) 

If the U.S. wishes to refuse having imports come into this country that are mislabeled(ie:  saying "made in Israel" when where in the region is in dispute) , then it would be up to that company(and Israel)  to properly label such product if they wish to peddle them in this country.  But my feeling is that it's NOT the task(or right) of the American government to command how those foreign businesses conduct those businesses.    However...

1.  Remember, "Caveat Emptor",  though not infallible , is still a good rule of thumb.

2.  I see nothing wrong with federal consumer protection that prevents corporations from profiting by misleading consumers.  Not everybody has the time to thoroughly investigate every mundane day-to-day items they regularly buy.    I say it's better that some taxpayer bucks go towards that instead of the many pork barrel items congressmen have lined their pockets with. 

Sepiatone

The countries with the largest import revenue stream for a country,  like the USA,   tend to call the shots.   This is just being practical;  I.e.  it would be expensive for a business to have and maintain different export labeling "guidelines".   This is why there are trade associations and subsequent agreements. 

Note that the above is THE leading headache with Brexit.     The Brits have been told by the EU if they wish to export goods to the EU they have to follow all the EU trade guidelines and practices they were bound to before (when they were members of the EU).    Britain is now able to change (lighten up upon)  their import requirements,   but that doesn't do British businesses any good.    This is  causing British businesses to ask themselves:  why did we leave the EU???? 

• Thanks 1