Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Roberts as SOTM May 2021

This is the first time TCM has had a group Star of the Month since 2017.

See list below...

Groups:

Film Debuts: (2000)
Knighted Actors (2001)
Final Films (2002)
TV Actors in Films (2003)
Stars That Died Before Their Time (2003)
Canadian Actors (2005)
Child Stars (2006)
A Star Is Born (2007)
Guest Programmers (2007)
Acting Dynasties (2008)
Funny Ladies (2009)
Great Directors (2009)
Method Actors (2010)
Singing Cowboys (2011)
Battle of the Blondes (2011)
Teen Idols (2012)
Tough Guys (2013)
Pin-Up Girls (2015)
Character Actors (2017)
Movie Roberts (2021)

• Like 2

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 2.26.46 PM

monday the 3rd of may

private screenings: robert osborne (2014)
crossfire (1947) with robert young, robert mitchum & robert ryan
the night of the hunter (1955) with robert mitchum

tuesday the 4th of may

king kong (1933) with robert armstrong
the 39 steps (1935) with robert donat
strangers on a train (1951) with robert walker
night must fall (1937) with robert montgomery
a kiss before dying (1956) with robert wagner

monday the 10th of may

waterloo bridge (1940) with robert taylor
marie antoinette (1938) with robert morley

tuesday the 11th of may

h.m. pulham esq. (1941) with robert young
the music man (1962) with robert preston
princess o'rourke (1943) with robert cummings
i married a witch (1942) with robert benchley
sunday in new york (1963) with robert culp

monday the 17th of may

bullitt (1968) with robert vaughn
the candidate (1972) with robert redford

tuesday the 18th of may

hollywood shuffle (1987) with robert townsend
how to succeed in business without really trying (1967) with robert morse
a man for all seasons (1966) with robert shaw
the last voyage (1960) with robert stack
cattle king (1963) with robert taylor

monday the 24th of may

chaplin (1992) with robert downey jr.
the great santini (1979) with robert duvall

tuesday the 25th of may

the long riders (1980) with robert carradine
mean streets (1973) with robert de niro
in cold blood (1967) with robert blake
reflections in a golden eye (1967) with robert forster
the thing from another world (1961) with robert cornthwaite

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 2.01.22 PM

I like this theme because of the variety of films chosen.

Glad to see Robert Vaughn honored.

If any group SOTM should be repeated in my opinion, it should be Stars That Died Before Their Time. It has been nearly 17 years since that theme has been done, and we lost Heath Ledger, Paul Walker, Corey Haim, Jonathan Brandis, Brittany Murphy, Natasha Richardson, Luke Perry, and Chadwick Boseman since then. All of whom died too soon. The theme should begin with the 30's and 40's (Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard) and end with the most recent (Luke Perry, Chadwick Boseman).

• Like 2
10 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

I like this theme because of the variety of films chosen.

Glad to see Robert Vaughn honored.

If any group SOTM should be repeated in my opinion, it should be Stars That Died Before Their Time. It has been nearly 17 years since that theme has been done, and we lost Heath Ledger, Paul Walker, Corey Haim, Jonathan Brandis, Brittany Murphy, Natasha Richardson, Luke Perry, and Chadwick Boseman since then. All of whom died too soon. The theme should begin with the 30's and 40's (Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard) and end with the most recent (Luke Perry, Chadwick Boseman).

I thought of you when I saw Robert Vaughn was included. Especially since you've said what a fan you are!

• Like 1

I don't care for this at all and hope it's not a trend. Why bother having a SOTM at all then if featuring 20 or so people? Nothing connecting them except for their first name? Gimmicky and dumb.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe they did something like this in April 2017 "Character Actors" as well as November 2011 (or 2012) "Battle of the Blondes".  Lionel Barrymore deserves to be SOTM.  Speaking of character actors, Eli Wallach deserves a  dedicated day when they do Summer under the Stars.  Speaking of blondes, have they never given Mae West a lineup as SOTM? 

6 hours ago, Tab Lynn said:

I believe they did something like this in April 2017 "Character Actors" as well as November 2011 (or 2012) "Battle of the Blondes".  Lionel Barrymore deserves to be SOTM.  Speaking of character actors, Eli Wallach deserves a  dedicated day when they do Summer under the Stars.  Speaking of blondes, have they never given Mae West a lineup as SOTM? 

If you scroll up, you will see that all the group Star of the Month honorees are listed.

There is another thread in this sub-forum which lists all the SOTMs, so you can see if Mae West has been honored.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tab Lynn said:

Unless I am overlooking I dont see Mae West listed and that is surprising!  She definitely should be considered as SOTM. 

Probably because she doesn't have a lengthy filmography. Also, all her films have to be leased from companies outside the Turner Library, which is costly. They have had primetime spotlights where they've shown two or three of her films. But she's never had a month-long retrospective or a day in August for Summer Under the Stars.

Too bad they're pulling out A Kiss Before Dying yet again for Robert Wagner, probably because it's from United Artists and they wouldn't have to deal with Fox. Wagner was a good enough actor and made enough noteworthy films (and has shown a more than friendly interest in TCM) that TCM should have made a better, less predictable choice even if it meant going to Fox. For that matter, All the Fine Young Cannibals is from MGM and, even though it's sort of a mess, it's almost never shown and has a good cast, including a rare film appearance by Pearl Bailey. My preferred choice would be Frank Tashlin's Say One For Me (1959), a Fox musical with Bing Crosby as a priest in the theater district and Wagner and Debbie Reynolds as performers. 

8 hours ago, DougieB said:

Too bad they're pulling out A Kiss Before Dying yet again for Robert Wagner, probably because it's from United Artists and they wouldn't have to deal with Fox. Wagner was a good enough actor and made enough noteworthy films (and has shown a more than friendly interest in TCM) that TCM should have made a better, less predictable choice even if it meant going to Fox. For that matter, All the Fine Young Cannibals is from MGM and, even though it's sort of a mess, it's almost never shown and has a good cast, including a rare film appearance by Pearl Bailey. My preferred choice would be Frank Tashlin's Say One For Me (1959), a Fox musical with Bing Crosby as a priest in the theater district and Wagner and Debbie Reynolds as performers. 

I don't think they have a problem dealing with Fox/Disney per se. They usually get the films they want from that studio. But it's a matter of paying for them. They don't have to pay for the MGM/UA titles in the Turner library.

• 3 weeks later...

I like that SOTM promo. Has anyone seen a "This month on TCM" on-air promo? It seems to be the pattern that now they are only doing them every other month. I wonder why, though...

6 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I like that SOTM promo. Has anyone seen a "This month on TCM" on-air promo? It seems to be the pattern that now they are only doing them every other month. I wonder why, though...

Not sure. Cost maybe?

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In his intro to Chaplin with Robert Downey Jr. Dave Karger framed the whole "Robert" month as a tribute to Robert Osborne, May 3rd having been his birthday. That's the first I've heard of that. In the article which TopBilled linked, it was mentioned that the series would kick off with Robert O., but nothing about a tribute. It makes sense, but they failed to follow through if that was really their intent.  It might have avoided some of the consternation and puzzlement some felt about it if they'd stated it outright. 

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

In his intro to Chaplin with Robert Downey Jr. Dave Karger framed the whole "Robert" month as a tribute to Robert Osborne, May 3rd having been his birthday. That's the first I've heard of that. In the article which TopBilled linked, it was mentioned that the series would kick off with Robert O., but nothing about a tribute. It makes sense, but they failed to follow through if that was really their intent.  It might have avoided some of the consternation and puzzlement some felt about it if they'd stated it outright. 

Yeah, I figured they were "tying" it to Osborne. But Osborne would have been 89 this year, hardly a milestone birthday. They should have waited till next year.