Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Golden Globes as scandal, coronavirus clouds ceremony

The Golden Globes will air this Sunday on NBC, but the award show's glamor is being overshadowed by a recent scandal and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that's forced the production to go virtual.

The ceremony is taking place against a backdrop of a brewing controversy. The "L.A. Times" recently published a scathing exposé on the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), a nonprofit which consists of 87 foreign journalists who dole out the annual Golden Globe awards, and found evidence of alleged corruption, bullying, and self-dealing.

According to the report, millions of dollars were paid to HFPA members in the form of expensive junkets, swag and trips. For the fiscal year ending in June 2020, members collected nearly $2 million in payments — more than double the level three years earlier. The details, and the amounts associated with the largesse, were surprising given a coronavirus outbreak that's largely brought the entertainment industry to a grinding halt.

Wow, those globes are golden. They must have left out prostitution.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Based on how your whole post reads, it appears they haven't  ;) 

Sepiatone

22 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

The Golden Globes will air this Sunday on NBC, but the award show's glamor is being overshadowed by a recent scandal and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that's forced the production to go virtual.

The ceremony is taking place against a backdrop of a brewing controversy. The "L.A. Times" recently published a scathing exposé on the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), a nonprofit which consists of 87 foreign journalists who dole out the annual Golden Globe awards, and found evidence of alleged corruption, bullying, and self-dealing.

According to the report, millions of dollars were paid to HFPA members in the form of expensive junkets, swag and trips. For the fiscal year ending in June 2020, members collected nearly $2 million in payments — more than double the level three years earlier. The details, and the amounts associated with the largesse, were surprising given a coronavirus outbreak that's largely brought the entertainment industry to a grinding halt.

Are they made in Mexico?

Golden-Globe-statuettes.jpg

:P

I just watched a few minutes.  I wonder if Tina Fey is in deep "you know what" for referring to WW as Weight Watchers?  It will always be Weight Watchers to me.  I also hope that Amy's Promo comment about hoping their hosting duties and the show itself will offer a death knell to all awards show.  I have friends who still refer to Fonda as Hanoi Jane (so I disagree with those who love everything she does).  Two things I would like to see happen:  separate network series with a full season from all other shows, also ask transgender individuals their opinion on actress/actor categories.