Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Zardoz_head.jpg.b76a46938488f1a835803ab0a680c060.jpg

Hello Fellow TCM Message Boarders!!

Just killing some time whilst I await the next scheduled Zardoz "Head" pick-up...  Had some errands to run and and the "Head" dropped me off - NO, Sean Connery did not push me out! That was some other guy that happened to... The Vortex not exactly too bad a place to hide-out during the pandemic.  That is, if you can stand Sean Connery wearing a different coloured "mankini" everyday.Mankini.jpg.2d30fdbf7d1970708668b023c3d46150.jpg

Anyway, thought I'd drop in and say "Hello." Hope all are well and behaving on the message board.

Heard Disney+ gonna stream "Zardoz" and a bunch of other stuff starting Feb. 23:
https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/disney-is-dropping-500-new-movies-here-are-10-hidden-gems-and-sean-connery-in-a-mankini

I've watched "Zardoz" on TCM and seen it on other TV channels in the past, and always enjoy watching it. A guilty pleasure, I guess. Lots of fun.

Some dude came up with 10 "insane" bits of trivia bout the flick here: https://screenrant.com/zardoz-insane-facts-trivia-behind-scenes-1974-sci-fi-movie-sean-connery/

Anywho, think I see the "Head" floating towards me so better get ready to climb aboard and head back to the Vortex...

Cheers, Randy

P.S. Photos courtesy of https://file-magazine.com/features/zardoz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hibi said:

Hello!

Wondered what happened to you. It's been years. Glad to know you are still with "us"!

Glad you're ok, Hibi.  Year 2293 in the Vortex, but no freakin' Internet.  Just hangin' 'til the Covid blows over. Lots of B.S. goin' on in the Vortex, but I try and keep a low profile...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slaytonf said:

This doesn't look like Kansas. 

Not even Kanada, dude... That Sean Connery is one nosy mo-fo... He goes into an old library and just happens to grab a certain book by L. Frank Baum:Zardoz_Baum.png.e1d71089eb17ac5b1ce48c0734987a63.png

Oh well, nice web site here featuring an old interview with the late great Sir Sean about why he did "Zardoz":

https://flashbak.com/the-gun-is-good-the-****-is-evil-sean-connery-explains-why-he-starred-in-zardoz-425107/

Screen shot of Zed in library courtesy of this site: https://liztellsfrank.com/2011/05/18/liz-tells-frank-what-happened-in-zardoz/

Anyway, gotta run before the Brutals and/or the Covid gets me...

Cheers, Randy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RMeingast said:

Glad you're ok, Hibi.  Year 2293 in the Vortex, but no freakin' Internet.  Just hangin' 'til the Covid blows over. Lots of B.S. goin' on in the Vortex, but I try and keep a low profile...

Well, you're always welcome here. Take care!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back, Meingast. But I don't get all the Vortex references. To me, The Vortex is an early play by Noel Coward, about sex and drugs. What are you saying?

qqxJ5aH79qDdUov2KGh2c1CIPRn00jsoskdAmYYh

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Zardoz for the first time last night.

Huh!?! If watching Sean Connery in red undies and a three foot pony tail develop a boinger as he looks at Charlotte Rampling isn't your idea of great entertainment, there are flying stone heads and a bunch of old coots complaining they can't die. Maybe it's just me but I've had more fun clipping nose hairs.

Still nice to see you back, Randy, but I have no intention of visiting any Vortex again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 2:13 PM, slaytonf said:

At least you have Charlotte Rampling to wait the Covid out with.

Dude, it wouldn't matter if there were Bo Derek, Diana Dors, and the Zeigfeld girls of 1929... There ain't no hanky-panky in the Vortex. (That changes after Sean Connery shows up, then it's the Lecherytex.)  Eternals and Apathetics in the Vortex have their minds on a "higher plane" and concern themselves with art, philosophy and how to best torture and kill the Brutals and others outside the Vortex, etc.

 

Here's a snapshot showing a Big Shot Eternal on a "Limo-cart" being pulled by Connery. That swanky ride is about as good as it gets in the Vortex.

(BTW, both are gawking at an Apathetic dame who is ignoring them, as Apathetics are wont to do.)

 

Limo_cart.jpg.9ec9cf70742871ca314a4ed8fe63fb7d.jpg

 

Gotta get going...

 

P.S. Photo courtesy of https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-13-strangest-moments-in-zardoz/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I watched Zardoz for the first time last night.

Huh!?! If watching Sean Connery in red undies and a three foot pony tail develop a boinger as he looks at Charlotte Rampling isn't your idea of great entertainment, there are flying stone heads and a bunch of old coots complaining they can't die. Maybe it's just me but I've had more fun clipping nose hairs.

Still nice to see you back, Randy, but I have no intention of visiting any Vortex again.

Everybody's a critic! Anyway, I'm just hiding out there. I'm a coward so I keep a low profile. Leave all the doo-doo disturbing to Connery.

Ciao...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not mind that: Zardoz (1974) is considered a guilty pleasure. It does not matter what Sean Connery looks like in a mankini because he is the type who would look great even if he wore nothing. It does not matter that it turns several science fiction tropes inside out. It does not matter that several very bad directorial  and cinematography decisions make it difficult for the audience to feel comfortable with the storyline.

What matters is that it is one of those rare movies which is based on legitimate scientific extrapolation of existing knowledge and technology while damning sociological conventions within a backdrop of adventurous surrealism. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Swithin said:

Welcome back, Meingast. But I don't get all the Vortex references. To me, The Vortex is an early play by Noel Coward, about sex and drugs. What are you saying?

qqxJ5aH79qDdUov2KGh2c1CIPRn00jsoskdAmYYh

Said play was filmed in 1928 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019538/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2) with Ivor Novello. But I gather the sex and drugs were...watered down?...in this version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Said play was filmed in 1928 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019538/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2) with Ivor Novello. But I gather the sex and drugs were...watered down?...in this version.

Sex was watered down even before the play was first presented. It's basically about a very glamorous woman (Florence Lancaster) and her young adult son, Nicky. The original intent was that the son was gay, but that could not be done in England in those days, with the Lord Chamberlain censoring scripts until 1968. The mother is evidently having an affair with the son's best friend, to whom the son is also attracted.  Finally, there's a catharsis, and the son admits to being an addict and the mother vows to be a better mother. There's a scene with pills. 

It's one of my favorite Coward plays. He starred in the New York premiere, having performed the role in London, and it helped to make him a star.  Leo G. Carroll, playing the wonderfully named supporting character Pauncefort Quentin, was in the New York production as well. Lilian Braithwaite played the mother.

The production I saw in London in 1989 starred Maria Aitken and a 30-year old Rupert Everett.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

 Finally, there's a catharsis, and the son admits to being an addict and the mother vows to be a better mother.

How disappointing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

How disappointing.

It's a powerful scene between mother and son. The pills are sometimes flung across the room.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, RMeingast said:

Anyway, thought I'd drop in and say "Hello." Hope all are well and behaving on the message board.

Heard Disney+ gonna stream "Zardoz" and a bunch of other stuff starting Feb. 23:
https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/disney-is-dropping-500-new-movies-here-are-10-hidden-gems-and-sean-connery-in-a-mankini

I've watched "Zardoz" on TCM and seen it on other TV channels in the past, and always enjoy watching it. A guilty pleasure, I guess. Lots of fun.

Some dude came up with 10 "insane" bits of trivia bout the flick here: https://screenrant.com/zardoz-insane-facts-trivia-behind-scenes-1974-sci-fi-movie-sean-connery/

Anywho, think I see the "Head" floating towards me so better get ready to climb aboard and head back to the Vortex...

Cheers, Randy

P.S. Photos courtesy of https://file-magazine.com/features/zardoz

Hi Randy, good to see you back. 

US subscribers  won't be getting Star as part of their Disney+  subscription, supposedly because Hulu already has similar content.  So no ZARDOZ for us Yanks.

Anyway, I'm glad you're surviving the pandemic even if you're in the Vortex. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TomJH said:

Huh!?! If watching Sean Connery in red undies and a three foot pony tail develop a boinger as he looks at Charlotte Rampling isn't your idea of great entertainment, there are flying stone heads and a bunch of old coots complaining they can't die. Maybe it's just me but I've had more fun clipping nose hairs.

Still nice to see you back, Randy, but I have no intention of visiting any Vortex again.

So Tom, does this mean that standing offer I extended to you years ago to visit the Vortexes here in beautiful, scenic, picturesque Sedona is now off the table??? 

(...I wouldn't burn any bridges if I were you dude, and especially when those cold Canadian winter days roll around and you'd have the opportunity to play the classic visiting snowbird)  ;)

LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...