Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are you watching this month?

In order to keep my New Year's resolution about watching films and TV shows that have so far eluded me, I am devising my own monthly schedule. My goal is to watch at least one new thing each day and time permitting, to post a review of it somewhere (either here on TCM's message boards, on the IMDb, on one of my blogs, or all three places).

My personalized schedule is thematic: 
Forgotten 70s
Studio Spotlights
TV miniseries

All Those People Are Dead
Essentials...Disney features
"It's My Job"...teaching

m-a-r-c-h      2-0-2-1

1    Forgotten 70s: THE ADVENTURERS (1970) with Olivia de Havilland, Ernest Borgnine & Candice Bergen
2    Studio Spotlight - RKO: BUNKER BEAN (1936) with Lucille Ball, Hedda Hopper & Jessie Ralph
3    TV Miniseries: AMERIKA (1987) Part 1 with Kris Kristofferson, Robert Urich & Sam Neill
4    Studio Spotlight - MGM: FLORIAN (1940) with Robert Young, Charles Coburn & S.Z. Sakall
5    "All Those People Are Dead": THIRTEEN WOMEN (1932) with Irene Dunne, Myrna Loy & Jill Esmond
6    Essentials - Disney Features: BAMBI (1942) with
 Hardie Albright, Paula Winslowe & Ann Gillis
7    "It's My Job" - Teaching: ANNE OF WINDY POPLARS (1940) with Anne Shirley, James Ellison & Patric Knowles
8    Forgotten 70s: THE MEPHISTO WALTZ (1971) with Alan Alda, Barbara Parkins & Curd Jurgens
9    Studio Spotlight - WB: KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE (1950) with James Cagney, Barbara Payton & Ward Bond
10  TV Miniseries: AMERIKA (1987) Part 2 with Kris Kristofferson, Robert Urich & Sam Neill
11   Studio Spotlight - 20th Century Fox: LIFE BEGINS AT 8:30 (1942) with Ida Lupino, Monty Woolley & Cornel Wilde
12  "All Those People Are Dead": AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945) with Walter Huston, Louis Hayward & June Duprez
13  Essentials - Disney Features: SECRETS OF LIFE (1956)
with narration by Winston Hibler
14   "It's My Job" - Teaching: CHEERS FOR MISS BISHOP (1941) with Martha Scott, William Gargan & Edmund Gwenn
15  Forgotten 70s: CHILD'S PLAY (1972) with James Mason, Robert Preston & Beau Bridges
16  Studio Spotlight - Paramount: CALIFORNIA (1947) with Barbara Stanwyck, Ray Milland & Barry Fitzgerald
17  TV Miniseries: AMERIKA (1987) Part 3 with Kris Kristofferson, Robert Urich & Sam Neill
18  Studio Spotlight - Republic: G.I. WAR BRIDES (1946) with Anna Lee, James Ellison & Harry Davenport
19  "All Those People Are Dead": 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971) with Richard Attenborough, Judy Geeson & John Hurt
20  Essentials - Disney Features: MARS AND BEYOND (1957) with Walt Disney, Paul Frees & Donald Duck
21  "It's My Job" - Teaching: REMEMBER THE DAY (1941) with Claudette Colbert, John Payne & Shepperd Strudwick
22  Forgotten 70s: THE INTERNECINE PROJECT (1974) with James Coburn, Lee Grant & Ian Hendry
23  Studio Spotlight - Universal: BAD SISTER (1931) with Conrad Nagel, Sidney Fox & Bette Davis
24  TV Miniseries: AMERIKA (1987) Part 4 with Kris Kristofferson, Robert Urich & Sam Neill
25  Studio Spotlight - Columbia: PENNY SERENADE (1941) with Irene Dunne, Cary Grant & Beulah Bondi
26  "All Those People Are Dead": THE REVENGERS (1972) with William Holden, Ernest Borgnine & Susan Hayward
27  Essentials - Disney Features: THE LOVE BUG (1968) with Dean Jones, Michele Lee & Buddy Hackett
28  "It's My Job" - Teaching: GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE (1955) with Jennifer Jones, Robert Stack & Robert Douglas
29  Forgotten 70s: CAPRICORN ONE (1977) with James Brolin, Hal Holbrook & O.J. Simpson
30  Studio Spotlight - UA: MY DEAR SECRETARY (1948) with Kirk Douglas, Laraine Day & Keenan Wynn
31  TV Miniseries: AMERIKA (1987) Part 5 with Kris Kristofferson, Robert Urich & Sam Neill

screen.png

• Like 2

I see today's feature is "The Adventurers". I've never seen it or heard of it. I hope it is better than imdb says - 5.5/10. It is odd to see Olivia in a film made in 1970, although it looks like she is way down the bill. It was my understanding that she retired from film in 1964 when she did "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte", and didn't make another film until the made for TV "The Screaming Woman" in  1972. At the time that film ran I was 14 and did not yet know who Olivia was. 

"Essentials...this month Jlewis wants to cover Disney features" - who is Jlewis???

6 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I see today's feature is "The Adventurers". I've never seen it or heard of it. I hope it is better than imdb says - 5.5/10. It is odd to see Olivia in a film made in 1970, although it looks like she is way down the bill. It was my understanding that she retired from film in 1964 when she did "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte", and didn't make another film until the made for TV "The Screaming Woman" in  1972. At the time that film ran I was 14 and did not yet know who Olivia was. 

"Essentials...this month Jlewis wants to cover Disney features" - who is Jlewis???

The reason Olivia de Havilland is billed so far down the list on THE ADVENTURERS is because the cast is listed in alphabetical order. She has some sex scenes and is topless (though filmed from the back so we do not see her breasts on camera). She was in her mid-50s at the time. But young Candice Bergen is really playing the lead female character. Olivia's role is more of a secondary part. 

Jlewis is one of our message board posters. In the Essentials forum, we have been reviewing films together for the past two years. Usually I select the films we review one month, then he selects the films we review the following month. This month he wanted to look at some Disney animation and live action features.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

As for rare stuff, I think you will really like "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye", "The Bad Sister", and "10 Rillington Place". 

Thanks. I'm looking forward to each of them.

Here's the trailer for THE ADVENTURERS (1970):

• Like 1

What am I watching this month?

I play it by ear on a day-to-day basis.  I plan no longer than a couple or so days ahead.  And this first week of this month finds me wrapping up watching the last few discs of the box set I have of SATURDAY NIGHT's first five seasons. ('75-'80) .  

Been having a great time seeing a lot of that stuff again!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I'm looking forward to each of them.

Here's the trailer for THE ADVENTURERS (1970):

I Dunno..

Call Me Whatever You'd Like... . ..

..its a Still From a TRAILER for Crying OutLoud..

- .. Pretty "Still" Though,. ☝️

🙏💝💖👙🎨🌈

If.. ... ....... Memory Serves me.. ... i HAVE Seen This pic.

Though its Been Quite a While...

-

Borgnine is ALWAYS Watchable ... .

.. ... ,so is Madam Havilland (sp)

🎨🌈

. ... ..

If i Can Find the Thing..

I"ll be Watching a (recent) title.. .one: the Wanting Mare ...

• Thanks 1

I switch around.  The other night I watched Diner.  I would rather watch Stanley Tucci go through Italy then Giadda (and, by the way, Stanley should be on my list for great character actors - different thread/post).  Stanley gives us history as well as food.  I like old Best British Baking Shows.  Last night I stumbled upon a Law & Order with Michael Moriarty.  I read while I watch TV and I continue to watch GH and sometimes think the writers are deciding new things each day (and still can't figure out why mumbles Monaco is still on).  I am trying to avoid anything too depressing and I'm tired of (even without a smart TV and download an app) taking the time to figure out what I can get on demand.  Looking forward to the return of Eliot Stabler to Organized Crime.  Am enjoying game shows (Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy).  However, I enjoy watching real people (i.e., seeing the few people I can see or talk to because of my susceptibility to COVID).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know what others are watching this month.

I like this "Forgotten" idea I came up with, so I will be doing Forgotten 80s, Forgotten 90s and Forgotten 00s in the months that follow. There are so many films (some of them quite profitable and popular in their day) that have slipped through the proverbial cracks. Perhaps it's a case of too much moviemaking product. 

I know that when I do Forgotten 80s, I am going to include the little-known Martin Ritt picture BACKROADS (1981) since I've never seen it. And it features two people I consider to be interesting actors-- Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones. The subject matter also looks interesting...

Back to Forgotten 70s, I watched THE ADVENTURERS (1970) yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. LsDoorMat mentioned it having a 5.5 rating on the IMDb. I think some of those scores were for the cut U.S. version. There is a longer European version (with more nudity and violence, but also with more story continuity) and that is the version I looked at yesterday. Ernest Borgnine is fantastic, probably gives the best performance in it. A very young Jaclyn Smith has a small role as well!

After I finished the movie, I read Pauline Kael's comments. She mentioned how it "cuts back and forth between the massacres and upheavals of a mythical poor country in South America and the tortured sex lives of the international celebrity set in Europe." She said Harold Robbins' novel upon which it is based, was sleazy. She said it cost $10 million to make, which we all know was a lot of money for a Hollywood film in 1970.

Contrary to claims elsewhere online, THE ADVENTURERS was not a box office failure and broke even for Paramount. Later it turned a profit due to television broadcasts, cable broadcasts and home video sales. At the present time it can be rented or purchased on YouTube for a reasonable fee.

• Like 1

For those who are following along, I wanted to mention that I am making a slight change with one of my themes in March. Instead of nursing, the "It's My Job" theme will now focus on teaching. 

I will be looking at ANNE OF WINDY POPLARS (1940) an RKO classic that TCM does not air, as well as CHEERS FOR MISS BISHOP (1941); REMEMBER THE DAY (1941) and GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE (1955).

I am going to postpone the nursing films until July because a friend of mine is a traveling nurse and a classic movie fan. She wants to go over the nursing films I selected and provide some commentary. So we will need time for her to watch those films and get back to me, when she's not busy working. I am grateful Natalie is willing to join me on this. It'll be worth the wait, going over those films with her a bit later.

Thanks for understanding!

I have also made one other change. Instead of NO MAN OF HER OWN (1950), my Paramount spotlight in March is going to be CALIFORNIA (1947), an earlier film starring Barbara Stanwyck. The reason I made this substitution is because I felt westerns were under-represented on my schedule. I have seen CALIFORNIA before, but it's been ages and frankly I've forgotten what most of it was even about! So I am eager to re-watch it.

I will still look at NO MAN OF HER OWN...it has been bumped to April.

16 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

So far this month (switching between modern and classic and back again)

image.png.f026da7facd4f49e64b1ec03085a8e2e.png

Interesting assortment of films. Is FINAL ANALYSIS the one with Richard Gere? I don't think I've ever seen it.

What did you think of ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE..?

Just now, TopBilled said:

Interesting assortment of films. Is FINAL ANALYSIS the one with Richard Gere? I don't think I've ever seen it.

What did you think of ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE..?

Along the Great Divide was solid. A bit on the sluggish side, but still made with all the care usually seen at the time. Kirk Douglas was magnetic as always.

Yes, Final Anaylsis is the one with Richard Gere (and Kim Basinger, Uma Thurman, Keith David, and Eric Roberts) I am still vacillating on what I think about it actually. It got overshadowed at the time by Basic Instinct, but this one, despite one very explicit bedroom scene early on, was pretty restrained (R-rated language aside) and tricky. Maybe a bit too tricky. The film entirely pulled the rug out from underneath you halfway through. But it was stylish, well acted by all concerned, exciting, and it is still playing tricks on you even in its closing moments. It's on HBO on Demand  currently so I think it might be worth a look. it's very Hitchcock-ean.

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Along the Great Divide was solid. A bit on the sluggish side, but still made with all the care usually seen at the time. Kirk Douglas was magnetic as always.

Yes, Final Anaylsis is the one with Richard Gere (and Kim Basinger, Uma Thurman, Keith David, and Eric Roberts) I am still vacillating on what I think about it actually. It got overshadowed at the time by Basic Instinct, but this one, despite one very explicit bedroom scene early on, was pretty restrained (R-rated language aside) and tricky. Maybe a bit too tricky. The film entirely pulled the rug out from underneath you halfway through. But it was stylish, well acted by all concerned, exciting, and it is still playing tricks on you even in its closing moments. It's on HBO on Demand  currently so I think it might be worth a look. it's very Hitchcock-ean.

Thanks. Yes, I remember it reaching theaters a few weeks before BASIC INSTINCT, but as you say, it was overshadowed by BASIC INSTINCT. Gere was trying to do edgier material after PRETTY WOMAN but audiences preferred him in rom-coms or more routine romance dramas.

I forgot that Walter Brennan was in ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE. He enlivens any western he's in, makes it better. I may have to take a look at this one again.

Re: the image you posted, is that how you keep track of what you've seen and what score you've given something you watched?

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. Yes, I remember it reaching theaters a few weeks before BASIC INSTINCT, but as you say, it was overshadowed by BASIC INSTINCT. Gere was trying to do edgier material after PRETTY WOMAN but audiences preferred him in rom-coms or more routine romance dramas.

I forgot that Walter Brennan was in ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE. He enlivens any western he's in, makes it better. I may have to take a look at this one again.

Re: the image you posted, is that how you keep track of what you've seen and what score you've given something you watched?

Yes. I use Letterboxd. https://letterboxd.com/ It's a film logging website, where you can also post reviews and follow other's reviews. Most people tend to be interested in more modern films (which is why most of my reviews tilt more toward the 80s onward), but its a relaxing laid-back website, and it makes it easy to mark what you have seen.

My personal page: https://letterboxd.com/bcarr95/

Information on Wikipedia about the site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterboxd

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes. I use Letterboxd. https://letterboxd.com/ It's a film logging website, where you can also post reviews and follow other's reviews. Most people tend to be interested in more modern films (which is why most of my reviews tilt more toward the 80s onward), but its a relaxing laid-back website, and it makes it easy to mark what you have seen.

My personal page: https://letterboxd.com/bcarr95/

Information on Wikipedia about the site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterboxd

Thanks for explaining. I'll check it out..!

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I remember liking Final Analysis. Worth checking out.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, kingrat said:

I remember liking Final Analysis. Worth checking out.

I believe it's been compared to VERTIGO, which I am sure is what the director intended.

To answer the question "What are you watching this month?" I have to admit that my wife and I haven't planned out our viewing schedule quite as completely as TopBilled.   That said, we do have certain movies we watch in the first half of almost every March -- those with some kind of Irish theme.   Neither of us is Irish or inclined to otherwise celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but we usually have fun watching at least some of these in March:

• The Irish In Us (1935) (James Cagney, Olivia DeHavilland, Pat O'Brien, Frank McHugh, Mary Gordon)
  • Three Cheers for the Irish (1940) (Thomas Mitchell, Dennis Morgan, Priscilla Lane, Virginia Grey)
  • The Quiet Man (1952) (John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Victor McLaglen, Mildred Natwick, Ward Bond)
  • The Luck of the Irish (1948) (Tyrone Power, Anne Baxter, Cecil Kellaway, Lee J. Cobb, Jayne Meadows)
  • The Rising of the Moon (1957) (Cyril Cusack, Jack MacGowran, several other outstanding Irish actors; narrated by Tyrone Power)
  • The Informer (1935) (Victor McLaglen, Wallace Ford, Una O'Connor)
  • Top o' the Morning (1949) (Bing Crosby, Ann Blyth, Barry Fitzgerald, Hume Cronyn)
  • Odd Man Out (1947) (James Mason, Robert Newton, Cyril Cusack)
  • I See A Dark Stranger (1946) (Deborah Kerr, Trevor Howard)
  • Little Nellie Kelly (1940) (Judy Garland, Charles Winninger, George Murphy)

So far this month, before starting on the Irish-themed movies, we've watched Daughters Courageous (a non-sequel reunion of the Four Daughters cast, but not quite as charming), because I was in the mood for a big-studio entertainment, and Romance on the High Seas, which we wanted to see in full after catching several minutes of it on TCM the other night.  We'll probably also watch the subsequent Doris Day/Jack Carson re-teamings, My Dream Is Yours and It's a Great Feeling because we like both Day and Carson a great deal.  (My wife pointed out that Romance is itself a re-teaming of Carson and Don DeFore from The Male Animal, another of our favorites.)

Later in the month, when it will, I hope, start to feel more like spring, we'll likely watch Four Daughters (which starts and ends in spring), as well as its sequels Four Wives and Four Mothers -- a delightful trio of movies with an outstanding cast: Claude Rains; the Lane Sisters (Priscilla, Lola,  Rosemary) plus Gale Page as the four daughters; Jeffrey Lynn; Frank McHugh; May Robson; Dick Foran; Eddie Albert (in Wives and Mothers); and last, but definitely not least, John Garfield in Daughters, with a brief appearance in Wives.  

And I'm sure we'll squeeze in some other movies among these planned ones.

I guess it's obvious that we let the time of year influence which movies we watch.  (You should see our list of Christmas movies, which we start on around Nov. 1.)

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, BingFan said:

To answer the question "What are you watching this month?" I have to admit that my wife and I haven't planned out our viewing schedule quite as completely as TopBilled.   That said, we do have certain movies we watch in the first half of almost every March -- those with some kind of Irish theme.   Neither of us is Irish or inclined to otherwise celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but we usually have fun watching at least some of these in March:

• The Irish In Us (1935) (James Cagney, Olivia DeHavilland, Pat O'Brien, Frank McHugh, Mary Gordon)
  • Three Cheers for the Irish (1940) (Thomas Mitchell, Dennis Morgan, Priscilla Lane, Virginia Grey)
  • The Quiet Man (1952) (John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Victor McLaglen, Mildred Natwick, Ward Bond)
  • The Luck of the Irish (1948) (Tyrone Power, Anne Baxter, Cecil Kellaway, Lee J. Cobb, Jayne Meadows)
  • The Rising of the Moon (1957) (Cyril Cusack, Jack MacGowran, several other outstanding Irish actors; narrated by Tyrone Power)
  • The Informer (1935) (Victor McLaglen, Wallace Ford, Una O'Connor)
  • Top o' the Morning (1949) (Bing Crosby, Ann Blyth, Barry Fitzgerald, Hume Cronyn)
  • Odd Man Out (1947) (James Mason, Robert Newton, Cyril Cusack)
  • I See A Dark Stranger (1946) (Deborah Kerr, Trevor Howard)
  • Little Nellie Kelly (1940) (Judy Garland, Charles Winninger, George Murphy)

So far this month, before starting on the Irish-themed movies, we've watched Daughters Courageous (a non-sequel reunion of the Four Daughters cast, but not quite as charming), because I was in the mood for a big-studio entertainment, and Romance on the High Seas, which we wanted to see in full after catching several minutes of it on TCM the other night.  We'll probably also watch the subsequent Doris Day/Jack Carson re-teamings, My Dream Is Yours and It's a Great Feeling because we like both Day and Carson a great deal.  (My wife pointed out that Romance is itself a re-teaming of Carson and Don DeFore from The Male Animal, another of our favorites.)

Later in the month, when it will, I hope, start to feel more like spring, we'll likely watch Four Daughters (which starts and ends in spring), as well as its sequels Four Wives and Four Mothers -- a delightful trio of movies with an outstanding cast: Claude Rains; the Lane Sisters (Priscilla, Lola,  Rosemary) plus Gale Page as the four daughters; Jeffrey Lynn; Frank McHugh; May Robson; Dick Foran; Eddie Albert (in Wives and Mothers); and last, but definitely not least, John Garfield in Daughters, with a brief appearance in Wives.  

And I'm sure we'll squeeze in some other movies among these planned ones.

I guess it's obvious that we let the time of year influence which movies we watch.  (You should see our list of Christmas movies, which we start on around Nov. 1.)

If you like the FOUR DAUGHTERS movies and you also like Doris Day, you'd probably enjoy YOUNG AT HEART (1954) which is a Technicolor remake (with music) of FOUR DAUGHTERS. Frank Sinatra takes the John Garfield part and Doris has Priscilla Lane's role. It's on DVD. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

If you like the FOUR DAUGHTERS movies and you also like Doris Day, you'd probably enjoy YOUNG AT HEART (1954) which is a Technicolor remake (with music) of FOUR DAUGHTERS. Frank Sinatra takes the John Garfield part and Doris has Priscilla Lane's role. It's on DVD. 

Thanks for noting the connection, Top -- I'll add Young at Heart to our schedule!  

I've actually seen Young at Heart (I'm also a big Sinatra fan), but when I last saw it, I wasn't familiar with Four Daughters  yet.  Now that you mention it, though, I read about the connection (and promptly forgot about it) when I finally did see Four Daughters and wanted to learn more about those movies.  I'm glad you reminded me -- it's been too long since I last saw Young at Heart.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, BingFan said:

Thanks for noting the connection, Top -- I'll add Young at Heart to our schedule!  

I've actually seen Young at Heart (I'm also a big Sinatra fan), but when I last saw it, I wasn't familiar with Four Daughters  yet.  Now that you mention it, though, I read about the connection (and promptly forgot about it) when I finally did see Four Daughters and wanted to learn more about those movies.  I'm glad you reminded me -- it's been too long since I last saw Young at Heart.

YOUNG AT HEART is a great film. Of course the ending differs from FOUR DAUGHTERS. Sinatra didn't want the character to die like Garfield's did in the original.

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The month continues with a run of pretty good films.....

image.png.aadbeb476c3b39547bd491f5abf74ca1.png

You seem very kind with the scores/ratings you give. 

I do agree with your rating for A LITTLE PRINCESS.

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

You seem very kind with the scores/ratings you give. 

I do agree with your rating for A LITTLE PRINCESS.

Anything below 4 is a varying degree of a failing grade.....and I just gave a 2 to the sleazy 1994 film Disclosure.

• Thanks 1