Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warner Archive & Other Sources -- DVD & Blu Ray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is Warner Bros. Really Phasing Out DVDs and Blu-Rays Next Year?

Those who enjoy physical media may be suffering quite the blow next year. According to animation historian Jerry Beck, Warner Bros. will begin to phase out DVD and Blu-ray releases beginning in 2022. This means that future movies and TV shows will likely not be released physically, with the focus shifting to streaming. Specifically, HBO Max.

Is Warner Bros. Really Phasing Out DVDs and Blu-Rays Next Year? (movieweb.com)cl

This is dated. I'm one of those who like the old physical Blu Ray and DVD. Recently tried to find the Warner Archives which I've bought more than a few classic movies. Can't find 'em.  They had some great stuff. Looks like Criterion is the big player now.

• JakeHolman changed the title to Warner Archive & Other Sources -- DVD & Blu Ray
1 hour ago, JakeHolman said:

The FYE website is selling the Flicker Alley Blu-ray Disc of The Man Who Laughs for almost sixty bucks! Movies Unlimited offers it for about forty-five bucks. Meanwhile, Flicker Alley sells it at a price that beats both of those retailers (as does Amazon).

On 6/24/2022 at 12:03 AM, JakeHolman said:

Is Warner Bros. Really Phasing Out DVDs and Blu-Rays Next Year?

Those who enjoy physical media may be suffering quite the blow next year. According to animation historian Jerry Beck, Warner Bros. will begin to phase out DVD and Blu-ray releases beginning in 2022. This means that future movies and TV shows will likely not be released physically, with the focus shifting to streaming. Specifically, HBO Max.

Is Warner Bros. Really Phasing Out DVDs and Blu-Rays Next Year? (movieweb.com)cl

This is dated. I'm one of those who like the old physical Blu Ray and DVD. Recently tried to find the Warner Archives which I've bought more than a few classic movies. Can't find 'em.  They had some great stuff. Looks like Criterion is the big player now.

HBO Max will never have more than a few tent pole classics (Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc). If you want to see 1930's Dancing Sweeties you are never going to get that anywhere but Warner Archive and TCM.  I pretty much cleaned out the Warner Archive in 2020 because:

1. The pandemic had discs down to a very cheap price

2. I rather wondered if WB might be getting ready to just stop the archive releases altogether. 

Warner Brothers has been licensing some of their stuff to Criterion, so maybe that will mean better titles going to that label. The big player though right now in classic film seems to be Kino Lorber. They are very prolific and have released some very rare older films such as 1929's Thunderbolt. 

12 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

HBO Max will never have more than a few tent pole classics (Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc). If you want to see 1930's Dancing Sweeties you are never going to get that anywhere but Warner Archive and TCM.  I pretty much cleaned out the Warner Archive in 2020 because:

1. The pandemic had discs down to a very cheap price

2. I rather wondered if WB might be getting ready to just stop the archive releases altogether. 

Warner Brothers has been licensing some of their stuff to Criterion, so maybe that will mean better titles going to that label. The big player though right now in classic film seems to be Kino Lorber. They are very prolific and have released some very rare older films such as 1929's Thunderbolt. 

I hadn't read this news yet (I have that user on Ignore), and am very saddened to see this. I also have HBO Max, but its classic film selections are negligible. If the discs go, it will be a real loss.

mega media xchange logo

Growing up with Blu-ray and DVD movies left us wondering if we will still see them in the future. According to the recent news, Warner Bros declared to stop releasing Blu-ray and DVD movies and series starting early 2022. When the giant in the movie industry began to phase out DVD and Blu-ray disc, we could already guess the bleak future of our favorite disks . It is a matter of time before digital copy movies would completely replace the physical disc.

Prior to the current streaming service, DVDs and Blu-rays were the physical viewing method for movies and series. It’s no secret that movie collectors hold DVDs and Blu-rays in high regard. But what does the future hold for this platform? Will we see a dead end, or is there hope?

Let’s not give up on Blu-rays and DVDs yet; they could be more than just memories.

Read More >> Are Blu-ray and DVD making a comeback in 2022? - Mega Media Xchange

As a movie collector I do not view DVDs, Blu-Rays or 4k discs in particularly high regard.  I view them as a "necessary evil" if I want to own certain films on a piece of "physical media".  

I'd buy every movie I want on an old tape if I could . . . but, alas, a fair number of movies I would have gladly picked up decades ago on an old-time VHS tape never came out that way.  Recent example:  I snagged a Warner Archive disc of THE WALKING STICK on a DVD-R.  Could not find the PAL-format VHS release so I had to make do with a disc.   

My other recent pickups are "New-Old Stock" tapes of THE COCOANUTS (1929), a 1989 MCA Home Video release -and- THE NAKED RUNNER (1967-Euro) on a 1995 Warner Home Video.  Both were still sealed and I unsealed 'em.  I shall watch them soon.

Also snagged an MGM/Turner VHS tape of WONDER BAR (1934) released in 1995.  I bought it from eBay for $1.00 + shipping and tax.  Easy to win that auction with no other bidders!   

There's always more movies to pick up for my stash . . . but what to get next? 

The early 1983/84 COLUMBIA VHS issue of "Krull". 

Also an MCA tape of "Blue Skies" (1946).  Also have my sights on the early '80s MGM BIG SILVER BOX release of "Easter Parade" (1948).  There's a few of them on sale on eBay at present.  Just have to pick the best combination of value and price. 

• Like 1