Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programming Challenge #44 -- "Battle of the B's" Voting Thread

On 3/3/2021 at 5:36 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

SansFin's schedule:

b05d7706eadbf372c7d5db4c2edb1f61.jpg

I thank you very much for creating this! She was quite attractive but there is at all times a hint of her being a person whom you do not wish to cross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sans Fin,

I loved the National Day themes, Gene Tierney and the Spotlight on Cats, Dogs, Bats and Snakes.  I also loved the theme of "Peculiar People" and yes, I would prefer that to sitting in a cold, dark room.

LP,

I loved the "Putting on a Rotten Show" theme, the AFI villain spotlight, and the Good Neighbor Policy theme as it featured one of my faves: The Three Caballeros.  I also loved the spotlight on Ancient Mammoth Computers, because I always loved when a movie is based around having to use one of those giant computers.

Overeasy,

I loved the selection of Edmond O'Brien for SOTM.  I also love Edmond O'Brien and actually went on a binge of his films last year.  I agree that he's rather unremarkable looking, but I do find him attractive in A Girl, A Guy, and A Gob.  I also loved the spotlights on Samuel Fuller, Lizabeth Scott, and Warner Bros. B Movies.

Stevo,

I loved the selection of Dana Andrews for SOTM and I hope that TCM heeds this recommendation. I also loved the Ed Wood birthday tribute.  Finally, I enjoyed the spotlight on National Parks and Mortimer Brewster as a Guest Programmer.

Athos, 

I loved Linda Darnell for SOTM, I know that we've had an ongoing thread about that very same idea for years now on the boards. I loved the "A Little Funny in the Head" theme, especially for the inclusion of Play Misty for Me which I just discovered last year during my Valentine's Day "Obsessive Love" theme. That movie was fantastic. I also loved the spotlights on Lee Remick and Ida Lupino.

Cinema Int'l, 

I loved the selection of Valley of the Dolls as an Essential.  This movie is essential in anyone's life, imo. I enjoyed the theme on Noir bad guys and femme fatales. I also liked the Vista Vision spotlight and the pre-code parade theme.

---

Great schedules everyone.  They were all fantastic and I hope TCM takes all of them into consideration for future schedules.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A lazy Sunday is the perfect time to peruse our 7 fantastic schedules, make a few comments and vote.  We have 4 votes so far and we're looking for many more before we close voting on March 31st.  

• Like 1

I have tried twice to vote but each ended with the: "lydecker cannot receive messages" error. Have you been sent to your room and grounded because you were a naughty boy?

• Haha 6
22 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I have tried twice to vote but each ended with the: "lydecker cannot receive messages" error. Have you been sent to your room and grounded because you were a naughty boy?

Well, I suppose that could be but I will check it out!!

• Like 1

There's lots of time to vote for your favorite schedule, folks!  Voting ends March 31, 2021. In the meantime, we already have a few votes in:

San Fin:  2

Overeasy:  2

Lonesome Polecat:  1

Stevomachino:  1

7 super schedules which deserve your attention!  Vote early and often!

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Voting update:  UPDATED 3/20/21

SanFins:  2

Lonesome Polecat:  2

Athos:  1

Speedracer5:  1

Lots of time left to vote for your favorite schedule!

Edited by lydecker
  • Like 1

Time is running out to vote for one of these wonderful schedules.  Voting ends  Wednesday, March 31st!!  Give your support to your favorite schedule now.

Voting update:

Sans Fin:  2

Lonesome Polecat:  2

Athos:  2

CinemaInternational:  1

Time's running out.  Any schedule can win.  Vote now  --  Voting closes Wednesday, March 31st.

My thoughts on the schedules...

SansFin
Love "Balloon Ascension Day!"  What a great idea! And like Bob, I love Gene Tierney, so that block is a joy to me.  Also, I grew up along the Hudson River and that makes Dragonwyck kinda of a hoot! Oh, and "great minds" and all that.  We both had "maids" in our schedules.  How weird is that?

Lonesome
The "bad show" block is sheer genius. Curtain Call at Cactus Creek is a new one on me, so I'll have to check it out. I also love the truck drivers segment, with They Drive By Night a real fav.

SpeedRacer
The double trouble twins grouping is really fun.  I just saw The Dark Mirror for the first time and loved it!  Dan Duryea is truly one of the most frightening film bad guys ever, so he really deserves being called out in your schedule.  And in a year when no one got to travel, your European segment has me thinking of long ago vacations in Italy and elsewhere. Sigh.

Stevo
All hail Ed Wood!  The best worst director of all time. ("You humans are all idiots!)  And bravo for your Dana Andrews block.  I will pretty much watch anything he's in, and love it! As for the "long take," what a great idea.  I have a good friend who's a Steadicam op in Hollywood and he and I sometimes chat about the best "oners" of all time!  (the one in Ms. Maisel is pretty insane!)

Athos
Gig Young gets no love, so I'm happy to see you pick him. For the guy who named himself after a character (so weird...) these are two of his best. I'm amazed that there are so many films based in or around Berlin, one of Europe's great cities. Cool idea.  You really got the B "thing" nailed both with Sol Wurtzel and Chan.  And finally, in my book, Ida Lupino, no matter what studio she was at, can do no wrong!

CinemaInternational
Dark side of Hollywood, indeed! I remember reading Day of the Locust when I was young and not totally getting it. Now I do!  Ross Hunter is also someone who I've realized is much better than I thought.  Funny how age will let you get a different take on things. Finally, bravo on any schedule that includes Soap Dish - and the Hope and Goddard films are just pure fun!

Great schedules all around and a VERY difficult choice.  As I has indicated to the moderator by PM previously, my vote goes to Athos.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Last (really the last) call for votes.  Winner will be announced later today.  Thanks to everyone who participated in "The Battle of the B's" and everyone who viewed and commented on these terrific schedules. It's been fun.

Lydecker

• Like 1

And the winner is:  Lonesome Polecat!!! Congratulations to LP on her wonderful schedule and well-deserved win.  LP now has the honor of conceiving and hosting TCM Programming Challenge #45!  Can't wait to see what you come up with.  

Final voting tally:

Lonesome Polecat:  4

Sans Fins:  3

Over Easy:  2

Athos:  2

CinemaInternational:  1

P.S. As previously discussed, I have a "Thank You" gift for each of the participants and Lonesome Polecat is the winner of the Noir City Poster.  When you get a chance, please message me your mailing addresses and I'll get those things into the mail next week.  Thanks so much for participating and for all of your hard work and creativity.  

Lydecker

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

A huuuuuuuuuuge thank you to The Great Waldo Lydecker for running such a fun challenge!

338764f0176b9a5d72ad7209c0185516.jpg

Love this.  Thanks!!

Congratulations LonesomePolecat! The win is well-deserved. I hope TCM Programmers will steal borrow elements of your schedule.

I thank you, Lydecker, for creating and running an excellent TCM Programming Challenge!

• Thanks 2

Congratulations LonesomePolecat! I'm excited to see what you come up with for your challenge. 

Great schedules everyone!

Thank you to Lydecker for a most enjoyable challenge! I had a lot of fun with this theme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations LonesomePolecat, on a much-deserved win! I know the next challenge will be amazing. It's never too soon to start, so I'm fine with May or June!

Also, many thanks to our consummate, gracious host Lydecker for running a fantastic challenge, as always!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

I'd like to do the next one PDQ -- is May/June too soon for everyone?

I'm fine with either.  June tends to be a bit busy for me, but certainly don't plan around me. Lol. 

• Like 1