Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

North by Northwest and Eddie Muller's skewer

Dagwood

Perhaps it is no surprise that the "Czar of Noir" Eddie Muller chose to skewer the deceased, defenseless Martin Landau after the screening of "North by Northwest" on Friday evening March 5.  Muller's skewer had all the class of a poor gumshoe trying to eke out a living using questionable ethics.  Feigning outrage, Muller just could not stop repeating himself, as if we didn't hear him the first time.  One could see Ben Mankiewicz's face turning red, be it anger or embarrassment.  I used to really like Muller, but now not so much.

• Haha 1

Muller kept claiming that Landau hit on his wife at some party.  I don't even know why TCM kept that in the after movie discussion.  Rather than repeatedly lambasting the now deceased old geezer, Muller should see the silver lining in his attraction.  Anyway, Martin Landau died in 2017 and after over three years Muller decides to unleash on Landau on national tv.  As bad as Landau's behavior may or may not have been, I thought Muller's diatribe was untoward and highly inappropriate for TCM to televise.  Took the joy out of watching North by Northwest again.  NBNW is one of my favorite movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

All I can say is that the Zar of Noir was lucky that James Mason never hit on his wife.

According to Hollywood lore, if Eddie had been old enough to have hit on Mason's wife Pamela back in the day, his chances at success would have been fairly high.

(...just sayin'...MEEEOW!)

LOL

1 hour ago, Dagwood said:

Dargo, such a scandalous thing to say about Pamela.

LOL

Yep, and hence my closing with that "MEEEOW" line, dude.  ;)

Ah, but then again, word was that Pamela Mason WAS quite, well let's just say, the "frisky sort", ya know.

And if you don't believe me here, take a gander at this excerpt from her Wiki bio page:

Pamela Mason filed suit for divorce from James in 1962, claiming that he had committed adultery.[7] According to their son Morgan and other sources, Pamela herself had had numerous affairs, but due to her attorney Marvin Mitchelson's skill, she won a monetary settlement of at least $1 million ($8.2 million today) when the marriage was finally dissolved in 1964; it was reported as "America's first million-dollar divorce".[1][6] As a result of this success, Mitchelson became a sought-after celebrity divorce attorney.[8] Pamela Mason continued to live in the Keaton mansion in Beverly Hills until her death,[9] sharing it “with a multitude of free-range cats.”[10] She remained someone who was listened to and outspoken “with unrepentant, undeviating, withering aim.”[11]

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

According to Hollywood lore, if Eddie had been old enough to have hit on Mason's wife Pamela back in the day, his chances at success would have been fairly high.

(...just sayin'...MEEEOW!)

LOL

I don't know. She must have had some standards which she would not violate. Seems playing around in the

Mason marriage was a two way street. 

I noticed something while watching NBNW last night that I'm sure other folks have noticed. Howcum a

super smart double naught secret agent like Eve Kendall didn't replace the remaining blanks in her gun

with real bullets. Surely that would have been fairly easy to do.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Not to knock Landau, but Mason was the obvious chick magnet in that duo.

Although, I do remember my father having one of his vinyl tops on his 1969 Chrysler Newport.

Landau, NOT Mason of course.

(...and don't worry Dagwood...you'll soon get used to my little bon mots like this if you stick around here long enough...I promise)  ;)

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't know. She must have had some standards which she would not violate. Seems playing around in the

Mason marriage was a two way street. 

I noticed something while watching NBNW last night that I'm sure other folks have noticed. Howcum a

super smart double naught secret agent like Eve Kendall didn't replace the remaining blanks in her gun

with real bullets. Surely that would have been fairly easy to do.  

Yeah, but even still, that kid sitting in the cafeteria who covers up his ears just before Eva Marie fires off her little .32 pistol at Cary, would've still done THAT, right?  ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Although, I do remember my father having one of his vinyl tops on his 1969 Chrysler Newport.

Landau, NOT Mason of course.

(...and don't worry Dagwood...you'll soon get used to my little bon mots like this if you stick around here long enough...I promise)  ;)

Even if he had a rich Corinthian leather tan, Martin would have come in second to the voice.

Wow Dargo, you left yourself open for a shot with that last sentence, at least for long time

posters. Though being neither a scholar or a gentleman, I will refrain from comment. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dagwood said:

Vautrin, that would have screwed up the whole plot.

Very true. It's just one of those things one notices. Then Cary sat there not noticing at

first that the housekeeper was holding the same blank filled gun on him. 

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but even still, that kid sitting in the cafeteria who covers up his ears just before Eva Marie fires off her little .32 pistol at Cary, would've still done THAT, right?  ;)

Kids and animals. What are you going to do? I wasn't planning on watching NBNW last night; I was going to

switch to something else at 12, but I just kept watching. Another thing that was a little puzzling--why did the

crop duster crash into the truck. Didn't seem to be a reason for it and he could have easily avoided it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

Kids and animals. What are you going to do? I wasn't planning on watching NBNW last night; I was going to

switch to something else at 12, but I just kept watching. Another thing that was a little puzzling--why did the

crop duster crash into the truck. Didn't seem to be a reason for it and he could have easily avoided it.

Yeah, and another good point here, Vautrin!

(...and especially because this took place YEARS before anybody and everybody would become distracted while operating a moving vehicle by texting on their damn smartphones, huh!)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Have my own DVD of NBNW, so never watch it on TCM.  Damn glad I didn't this time.  Even reading this thread will lessen my enjoyment next time I watch it.

Sorry, Cid.

I guess I should have led with a spoil alert warning before I mentioned that thing up there about the kid covering up his ears before the gun shots at the Mt. Rushmore cafeteria, huh.

(...silly me)

;)

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yep, and hence my closing with that "MEEEOW" line, dude.  ;)

Ah, but then again, word was that Pamela Mason WAS quite, well let's just say, the "frisky sort", ya know.

And if you don't believe me here, take a gander at this excerpt from her Wiki bio page:

Pamela Mason filed suit for divorce from James in 1962, claiming that he had committed adultery.[7] According to their son Morgan and other sources, Pamela herself had had numerous affairs, but due to her attorney Marvin Mitchelson's skill, she won a monetary settlement of at least $1 million ($8.2 million today) when the marriage was finally dissolved in 1964; it was reported as "America's first million-dollar divorce".[1][6] As a result of this success, Mitchelson became a sought-after celebrity divorce attorney.[8] Pamela Mason continued to live in the Keaton mansion in Beverly Hills until her death,[9] sharing it “with a multitude of free-range cats.”[10] She remained someone who was listened to and outspoken “with unrepentant, undeviating, withering aim.”[11]

Oh, the irony. Because the Keaton mansion - "the Italian Villa" - is the mansion that Buster Keaton lost in HIS divorce in 1932.  But Keaton didn't even try to fight his wife, Natalie, for any of his property. Just let her have it all. He figured he would continue to make movies at MGM and make it all back. Then he got fired from MGM the following year and nobody would hire him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Sorry, Cid.

I guess I should have led with a spoil alert warning before I mentioned that thing up there about the kid covering up his ears before the gun shots at the Mt. Rushmore cafeteria, huh.

(...silly me)

;)

Actually I missed your post (if recent) but remember reading similar several years ago.  And yes, now when I watch that scene I can't help but look for the kid.😃

I was commenting on the Eddie Muller comments.

I didn't see or hear Muller make any comments about Landau hitting on his wife, but I'm willing to "bet the rent" that at what must've been Landau's age at the time, it was probably no big deal of a harmless playful flirtation by an aged man at a party.  But too, I don't know if Muller's  wife complained later that it bothered her, or maybe it bothered Muller more?   And who knows?.....

Maybe Muller's wife resembles BARBARA BAIN?  ;) 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings