Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know it's off topic, but given how all of us are familiar with pop music, I wanted to share information about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations for this year. Of course, the artists/bands that get in are decided by a committee, but they also allow the public to vote up to a daily basis for their favorite artists at this link here: https://vote.rockhall.com/

Typically speaking, usually 6 acts or so make it in from the longlist every year.

This year's longlist is.....

Mary J. Blige

Kate Bush

Devo

The Foo Fighters

The Go-Gos

Iron Maiden

Jay-Z

Chaka Kahn

Carole King

Fela Kuti

LL Cool J

New York Dolls

Rage Against the Machine

Todd Rundgren

Tina Turner

Dionne Warwick

And for the record, I just voted for Dionne (perhaps one of the most beautiful singing voices I have ever heard), Tina, Carole, Kate, and Chaka.

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I know it's off topic, but given how all of us are familiar with pop music, I wanted to share information about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations for this year. Of course, the artists/bands that get in are decided by a committee, but they also allow the public to vote up to a daily basis for their favorite artists at this link here: https://vote.rockhall.com/

Typically speaking, usually 6 acts or so make it in from the longlist every year.

This year's longlist is.....

Mary J. Blige

Kate Bush

Devo

The Foo Fighters

The Go-Gos

Iron Maiden

Jay-Z

Chaka Kahn

Carole King

Fela Kuti

LL Cool J

New York Dolls

Rage Against the Machine

Todd Rundgren

Tina Turner

Dionne Warwick

And for the record, I just voted for Dionne (perhaps one of the most beautiful singing voices I have ever heard), Tina, Carole, Kate, and Chaka.

Pop music hall of fame.    Not much rock here,  but that is how its been for a while.

Dionne is the the last ones I would vote for if this was really a rock hall of fame.   Oh, well,   I'll just listen to jazz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Order not nominated. Thank goodness, another year of semi-obscure band cred. I'm going

to put on Substance and turn it up to 11.

For those of you who are not knowledgeable about Dionne Warwick's discography and radio programming, Dionne Warwick's music, beginning in the mid to late sixties, was always played on Rock and Roll stations.  Ms. Warwick had a number one hit with The Spinners in 1974, "Then Came You".  She also had numerous hits in the late 70s which were played on Rock and Roll stations.  I remember a popular hit from 1982 she did with the Bee Gees' Barry Gibb called "Heartbreaker".  In 1985 she, along with Elton John, Gladys Knight, and Stevie Wonder, sang a very popular song "That's What Friends Are For".  I also remember Ms. Warwick hosting a rock program called "Solid Gold" in the early 80s. 

My only hope is the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" pay her the respect she deserves by admitting her into the Hall while she is alive.  I do not want the Hall to do to her like they did Donna Summer and wait until she dies then let her into the Hall of Fame the year after she dies.

18 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

For those of you who are not knowledgeable about Dionne Warwick's discography and radio programming, Dionne Warwick's music, beginning in the mid to late sixties, was always played on Rock and Roll stations.  Ms. Warwick had a number one hit with The Spinners in 1974, "Then Came You".  She also had numerous hits in the late 70s which were played on Rock and Roll stations.  I remember a popular hit from 1982 she did with the Bee Gees' Barry Gibb called "Heartbreaker".  In 1985 she, along with Elton John, Gladys Knight, and Stevie Wonder, sang a very popular song "That's What Friends Are For".  I also remember Ms. Warwick hosting a rock program called "Solid Gold" in the early 80s. 

My only hope is the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" pay her the respect she deserves by admitting her into the Hall while she is alive.  I do not want the Hall to do to her like they did Donna Summer and wait until she dies then let her into the Hall of Fame the year after she dies.

The fact Warwick's songs were played on R&R radio stations doesn't make it R&R music.    I have a lot of respect for Warwick as a singer and entertainer but I would still classify it as pop music.     Anyhow,  like I said,  this so called R&R Hall,  has added many non-rock artist over the decades,  so I see no reason to change that now. 

I do find it funny that Donna Summer is mentioned.    To me that makes the point about this,  non-rock, but instead,  pop hall of fame.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

Used to hear country tunes too on mid '60's "rock" stations, and too, in the late '60's those same AM "rock" stations also used to play tunes by ANDY KIM, THE 1910 FRUITGUM CO. and THE COWSILLS.  You're not suggesting THEM TOO, get inducted as well?

I mean, I like Ms. Warwick.  Lovely woman with a lovely voice.  But I'm with JAMES.  Not what most would call Rock'n'roll.  Might as well include THE ARCHIES.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The fact Warwick's songs were played on R&R radio stations doesn't make it R&R music.    I have a lot of respect for Warwick as a singer and entertainer but I would still classify it as pop music.     Anyhow,  like I said,  this so called R&R Hall,  has added many non-rock artist over the decades,  so I see no reason to change that now. 

I do find it funny that Donna Summer is mentioned.    To me that makes the point about this,  non-rock, but instead,  pop hall of fame.

It's a bit like the diminishing returns effect that you will find with rarities and premieres on TCM.  It is apparently still centered on Boomer music (some for Boomers, some for Gen-Xers), and believe me, they will move on to going through every last drop of that too.  Then who knows what.  Gen-X music that Gen-Xers listen to, then Gen-X music that only Millennials listen to?  Maybe there will be an earthquake or something.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Used to hear country tunes too on mid '60's "rock" stations, and too, in the late '60's those same AM "rock" stations also used to play tunes by ANDY KIM, THE 1910 FRUITGUM CO. and THE COWSILLS.  You're not suggesting THEM TOO, get inducted as well?

I mean, I like Ms. Warwick.  Lovely woman with a lovely voice.  But I'm with JAMES.  Not what most would call Rock'n'roll.  Might as well include THE ARCHIES.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

You really don't like The Cowsills. do you.  Hey, any band that can relate to Mom like that is alright with me!

BTW as per The Archies - I have seen Late Night's Paul Shaffer credit Ron Dante as being the first who gave him a chance in the industry.  Nice guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoFjc1Pi3A

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It's gotten a little out of hand. They need to chill on new inductons for a while.  If they want to have an annual party, they can honor existing members instead of shooing in new inductees just because they need an excuse to get together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Speaking of the Archies: According to Billboard, the most popular song of 1969 was .  .  . get ready to hurl   .   .  .  "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. And we thought people in the 60s had great taste in music! The lines in 60s and even 70s pop radio stations were really blurred. So maybe the Archies and 1910 Fruitgum Co. will make the Hall of Fame next year!

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Speaking of the Archies: According to Billboard, the most popular song of 1969 was .  .  . get ready to hurl   .   .  .  "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies.

"Sugar Sugar" is not hurl-inducing. It's a nicely crafted piece of pop. My buddy from across the street had it. He wore it out. That and some Monkees song or other. 

Edit: oh yeah. My point: it was probably pre-adolescent kids that made it number 1.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:09 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Kate Bush

Devo

Carole King

Fela Kuti

These four rise above many on that list because they wrote & crafted their own material, not just sang other people's songs. These four were trend-SETTERS, influencing popular American rock music's direction & evolution.

As much as I personally love & respect Tina Turner & The New York Dolls, they did not influence American Rock N Roll all that much-Tina was super popular, the Dolls not so much outside of NYC.

If you're talking about who truly developed earliest Glam style &  influenced rock music, Marc Bolan is the logical inductee.

• Like 1

Ted Nugent , Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Monkees, Boston , Grand Funk Railroad,  Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Badfinger, BTO/Guess Who  and Pat Benatar w/o question belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ...

CHARLIE DANIELS 

11 hours ago, kingrat said:

Speaking of the Archies: According to Billboard, the most popular song of 1969 was .  .  . get ready to hurl   .   .  .  "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. And we thought people in the 60s had great taste in music! The lines in 60s and even 70s pop radio stations were really blurred. So maybe the Archies and 1910 Fruitgum Co. will make the Hall of Fame next year!

But we here all know that in music, as well as movies, popularity doesn't always translate into quality. 

"Blurred" is right, in the discussion of late '60's and 1970's AM and FM radio.  Labels would send versions of popular "underground" tunes to AM stations edited for the "three minute rule".  It's why one had to buy the LP to hear The Door's full 7 minute version of "Light My Fire".  It's also how we wound up hearing abbreviated  versions of "Magic Carpet Ride"(Steppenwolf), "Inna Godda-Davida" (Iron Butterfly), "Time Has Come today"(Chambers Brothers) and Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".  on AM radio.  And those were but a few.   And KINGRAT-----

You forgotTHE OHIO EXPRESS.  ;)   of THIS heavy duty rocker!  :D 

I'll be nice and NOT mention the word we used to replace "love" with in making fun of the tune.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Don't you music fans know who wrote & performed the Archie's songs? A talented group of pop musicians, writers & producers. It wasn't like it was really cartoon charactors.

34 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Don't you music fans know who wrote & performed the Archie's songs? A talented group of pop musicians, writers & producers. It wasn't like it was really cartoon charactors.

I posted this link above to a Ron Dante TV interview, which was overlooked or ignored.  Dante was 19 at the time when he recorded Sugar Sugar and it was written and produced by Don Kirshner (of "Brill building" fame) and Jeff Barry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoFjc1Pi3A

• Thanks 1

For me Devo were just a flash in the pan phenomenon who wore upside flower pot headgear.

After that they were gone. T. Rex got into the Hall last year.