Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, this took long enough...

fxreyman

I came to the message boards in the spring of 2007. It has been a long 14 years to finally get to the 3,000 post threshold. I am not patting myself on the back for this, but it is worth noting. I just never thought I would have had the opportunity to post this many posts.

When I first became a member, my wife Annie and I were living in Norfolk, Virginia after relocating there from the Chicago area for a new job. Unfortunately that job did not last long, the company going into bankruptcy. But to my wonderment, the company was bought and I was offered my old job back with a paid relocation to beautiful Colorado Springs. That was a wonderful six years. We absolutely loved living there and being close to family in Denver made it even more special. But that did not last and in January of 2015, Annie and I moved back to the northern suburbs of Chicago where we still live today.

My first conversations were with at the time, long standing and respected members such as FrankGrimes, MissGoddess, lzcutter, Kyle in Hollywood, Cinemaven, Swithin, SueSue Applegate, BronxGirl 48, Sepiatone, rohanaka, scsu1975, movieman1957, filmlover, Dargo, Molo14, JackFavell, Mongo, Jakeem, JakeHolman, HelenBaby, Spence, Johnm001, laffite, sineast, Arkadin and so, so many others.

Unfortunately many of those I just mentioned no longer post on the message boards, or they just have found other avenues where they can post like TCM's Facebook page. I miss all of those wonderful conversations with many of those past members and hopefully one day they will find their way back here.

That first year (2007) was quite tumultuous with several threads going ballistic. The one thread I remember that was quite raucous was the Heinz 57 thread. This was the infamous thread that almost caused the whole message boards to go down in flames. It was just one of those threads that eventually was locked down, and unfortunately many, many posters were shocked and dismayed at the general course that thread took.

Today things are lot more positive around here, but every now and again threads do "go off the rails". Thankfully there is another option available to those of us and that is the Off-Topic Forum. Only wished we had that back in 2007!!!

So here I am, celebrating quietly this momentous occasion and I only hope I can continue to post my thoughts here and enjoy conversations with those I have made friends with over the years. Thank you TCM for creating this message board for those of us passionate about film and interested in sharing our thoughts to those who also have similar thoughts and musings!

Fxreyman

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

My first conversations were with at the time, long standing and respected members such as FrankGrimes, MissGoddess, lzcutter, Kyle in Hollywood, Cinemaven, Swithin, SueSue Applegate, BronxGirl 48, Sepiatone, rohanaka, scsu1975, movieman1957, filmlover, Dargo, Molo14, JackFavell, Mongo, Jakeem, JakeHolman, HelenBaby, Spence, Johnm001, laffite, sineast, Arkadin and so, so many others.

Some of these people still post here. Swithin remains active, and so do SueSue and BronxGirl. The Two Jakes are still around and so is Helen. As well as Sepiatone, scsu1975 and laffite.

Kyle's presence is still felt.

Anyway, congratulations on your "mildstone" (what my British friends say instead of milestone). :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Some of these people still post here. Swithin remains active, and so do SueSue and BronxGirl. The Two Jakes are still around and so is Helen. As well as Sepiatone, scsu1975 and laffite.

Anyway, congratulations on your "mildstone" (what my British friends say instead of milestone). :) 

Well, thank you for the clarification... I should have said that some of these past members are still posting but many are not. My bad. And thanks for the Mildstone comment!

• Like 1

What was the Heinz 57 thread about? I joined that same year, but was not active for awhile, mostly lurking. The place could be intimidating and there was a lot of infighting from time to time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Well, thank you for the clarification... I should have said that some of these past members are still posting but many are not. My bad. And thanks for the Mildstone comment!

I suppose some of them posted more frequently back in the day. 

I remember worrying I would run out of things to say when I hit 10,000 posts!

But the nice thing about this message board is that there are always new perspectives that get added into the mix as we go along. And the long-time posters still have a place to contribute.

18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

What was the Heinz 57 thread about? I joined that same year, but was not active for awhile, mostly lurking. The place could be intimidating and there was a lot of infighting from time to time.

OH yeah! I remember it. And could NOT believe how some people became SO impassioned over the idea of if it was "ketchup" or "catsup"!

(...sure was a real eye-opener to THIS then newbie here TOO, Hibi) 

;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

Former names? Can you elaborate? This "former names" stuff was part of that infamous Heinz57 thread.

Let's just say that the censor and I didn't always see things the same way, so I got in trouble for what

I thought were pretty minor "offenses," but that's old history now. I got here a few years after you

and I don't remember the Heinz 57 thread. Sounds like a real dust up. I have a poor memory as to

longtime posters who have dropped out for one reason or another, though I do remember most of

the names you listed. I was pretty good friends with Cinemaven, though I think that was after she

changed her name and right now I can't recall what the new one  was. She hasn't posted for a long time.

And of course there was finance/DGF, king of the one liners. 

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

OH yeah! I remember it. And could NOT believe how some people became SO impassioned over the idea of if it was "ketchup" or "catsup"!

;)

Ketchup vs. Catsup?!? Seriously?!?

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

SueSue still posts, but mostly on the TCM Film Festival board.   She's slowed down there, though, since we're going on the 2nd year without an in-person festival...

• Thanks 1

Congrats (I think) Rey-man! I joined a year before you but never cared about post quantity. What's important is the quality of your posts, the contributions you've made to the board.

Always enjoyed your presence, knowledge & opinions here. That completely outshines the members who post two word comments just to "up their post count"- a hollow victory.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fxreyman said:

The one thread I remember that was quite raucous was the Heinz 57 thread.

That reminds me of this scene in The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Senator Iselin (James Gregory) is trying to decide the number of Communists in the Defense department, and finally settles on 57.

In The Manchurian Candidate, Senator Iselin (a parody of Sen. Joseph  McCarthy) pours Heinz Ketchup on his dinner plate. The film then cuts to  him testifying to Congress that "there are exactly

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That reminds me of this scene in The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Senator Iselin (James Gregory) is trying to decide the number of Communists in the Defense department, and finally settles on 57.

In The Manchurian Candidate, Senator Iselin (a parody of Sen. Joseph  McCarthy) pours Heinz Ketchup on his dinner plate. The film then cuts to  him testifying to Congress that "there are exactly

YES! LOL. It was on just a week ago. I always laugh at that scene.... I think it's Lansbury who makes him settle on that because he cant remember the number (made up anyway).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

This thread was actually talking about ketchup/catsup???? I thought it had another meaning.

15 hours ago, LiamCasey said:

Ketchup vs. Catsup?!? Seriously?!?

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nah, I was just kiddin', Liam. ;)

(...actually, I'm not sure if I remember that thread at all either)

27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

This thread was actually talking about ketchup/catsup???? I thought it had another meaning.

Well, at least Mr.Sixes got my joke up there anyway.

(...and one out'a three ain't bad, I suppose...and heck, if this were Baseball and battin' .333, I'd be a freakin' All-Star!!!)  ;)

I think that Heinz 57 thread was before my time too, as I don't recall it.  I probably would have thought it was about the breed of dogs I wound up owning when I was a kid.  ;) 

And what was he screen name of that nurse who used to be on these boards and died I guess about 2012 or 13?

And whatever became of the guy from Philly who was so taken with "spinning" and went by FINANCE then changed it to DGB(Down Goes Fraiser)? 

I still have  Madigan2 in my e-mail address book, but she was 80 or so when I put it there and that was several years ago.

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well, at least Mr.Sixes got my joke up there anyway.

(...and one out'a three ain't bad, I suppose...and heck, if this were Baseball and battin' .333, I'd be a freakin' All-Star!!!)  ;)

I should have known! :( SIGH.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I think that Heinz 57 thread was before my time too, as I don't recall it.  I probably would have thought it was about the breed of dogs I wound up owning when I was a kid.  ;) 

And what was he screen name of that nurse who used to be on these boards and died I guess about 2012 or 13?

And whatever became of the guy from Philly who was so taken with "spinning" and went by FINANCE then changed it to DGB(Down Goes Fraiser)? 

I still have  Madigan2 in my e-mail address book, but she was 80 or so when I put it there and that was several years ago.

Sepiatone

Most of us assumed finance went to the great beyond. I'm sure its happened to many posters over the years. He was on here too much to just abruptly stop w/out saying anything, never to return.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

I know!

(...and JUST when and after all these years I had you thinking I could be trusted, huh!)  ;)

I've been sleepy the last couple days. Not as alert as usual, obviously!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings