Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, this took long enough...

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It won't happen again!

Good!

Ya know I've heard this stuff here is pretty helpful whenever people get run-down...and start popping out at parties...

i-love-lucy.png

(...although I haven't seen it stocked at any Walgreens or CVS for years now)

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Good!

Ya know I've heard this stuff here is pretty helpful whenever people get run-down...and start popping out at parties...

i-love-lucy.png

It also saves someone from living a life of being "unpoopular" !

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good!

i-love-lucy.png

I need it!

• Haha 2

Rey!

I remember we used to congratulate folks when they reached a milestone of another thousand posts. So you should be too. I remember those conversations fondly as well. Quite a few of the ones you mentioned play on Facebook and we spent time at Silver Screen Oasis. (I recall you were there for a short time.)  I got out of the habit of coming here. At times there was talk other than movies or going over the same ground. And some of them moved on. It felt different.

I check in more now. I occasionally talk about music, look through the Westerns thread, check in on Bronxgirl's thread where I come across most of the people I know.

I am glad you are still here imparting fun and wisdom. Make it another 3000.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, movieman1957 said:

Quite a few of the ones you mentioned play on Facebook and we spent time at Silver Screen Oasis. (I recall you were there for a short time.)  I got out of the habit of coming here. At times there was talk other than movies or going over the same ground. And some of them moved on. It felt different.

Cinemaven, JackBurley, Lzcutter , Moira Finne and other stalwarts of the boards at that time are now over on the SilverScreenOasis Facebook group. It is a private group but Chris "Movieman 1957" pops in now and then and can probably add you to the group if you wish.  Most of us broke off from the TCM board around the time "Cinemascope" was compulsively dominating all the threads in every catagory. I don't remember the Heinz57  brouhaha.

• Like 3

57 commies in the State Dept. was an actual number used by Joe McCarthy. Don't know if he got

the number from Heinz or a liquor bottle label. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

57 commies in the State Dept. was an actual number used by Joe McCarthy. Don't know if he got

the number from Heinz or a liquor bottle label. 

Say, maybe this is also where Springsteen got the number for his "57 Channels and Nothin's On" ditty?

(...and I hear those folks at QAnon now believe the number "57" is some kind'a government plot to make 'em sterile, but this is just hearsay of course)

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nah, I was just kiddin', Liam. ;)

(...actually, I'm not sure if I remember that thread at all either)

Thanks. Considering how many of your posts I've read (and enjoyed, I might add), I was fairly confident that you were. But I've seen enough people argue passionately and vehemently about the craziest things in my time that I just had to ask. Curiosity and the cat, you know.

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Say, maybe this is also where Springsteen got the number for his "57 Channels and Nothin's On" ditty?

(...and I hear those folks at QAnon now believe the number "57" is some kind'a government plot to make 'em sterile, but this is just hearsay of course)

57 channels. How quaint that sounds today. More proof that the QAnoners are dumb as bricks. 

69 is the number that will keep one childless.

• Haha 4
20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Good!

i-love-lucy.png

Well DARG....

Back in the day, we used to do all sorts of "popping" at parties!  ;)  I guess I don't have to illuminate as to "popping" what, and so I'm assuming you possibly meant "pooping"  out?  Which brought us this little ditty?  ;) 

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well DARG....

Back in the day, we used to do all sorts of "popping" at parties!  ;)  I guess I don't have to illuminate as to "popping" what, and so I'm assuming you possibly meant "pooping"  out?  Which brought us this little ditty?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Actually Sepia, my "popping" out at parties was a purposeful and direct quote of Lucy's in that episode of her program, and after she had consumed a little too much of that elixir she was hawking.

(...remember, after becoming drunk on the stuff, she goofed the line she was supposed to say and says, "Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular? Well, are YOU?")

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Jezebel38 said:

Cinemaven, JackBurley, Lzcutter , Moira Finne and other stalwarts of the boards at that time are now over on the SilverScreenOasis Facebook group. It is a private group but Chris "Movieman 1957" pops in now and then and can probably add you to the group if you wish.  Most of us broke off from the TCM board around the time "Cinemascope" was compulsively dominating all the threads in every catagory. I don't remember the Heinz57  brouhaha.

Yeah, but the place is dead. At least the last time I looked. Even their celebrity chats have stopped.

21 hours ago, Dargo said:

IF ONLY.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:12 PM, fxreyman said:

I came to the message boards in the spring of 2007. It has been a long 14 years to finally get to the 3,000 post threshold. I am not patting myself on the back for this, but it is worth noting. I just never thought I would have had the opportunity to post this many posts.

That's about 4 posts per week, a healthy amount, I'd say. Congrats.

And thank you for recalling Arkadin. I've been trying to remember his username, but it just wouldn't come to me. We used to PM about a mutual, non-film related, interest and I've been hoping to come across him again but it looks like he has been gone a good while. 

• Like 1

The following thread created by long-time member Cinemaven was started on April 18, 2009 in the General Discussions Forum

https://forums.tcm.com/topic/24476-heinz-57/

I do not know the origins of the original Heinz 57 thread, when it started or how it evolved into a major dust up amongst long-time one username members who were repeatedly attacked by what many believed was one member who used multiple usernames to clarify and argue their position about equality and their own self worth to the rest of the long-standing one username members.

The original Heinz 57 thread was started sometime during 2007 that evolved into a rather difficult and to many who posted on that thread a distasteful feeling that one poster was masquerading as a dozen or more members talking to no one but himself. That person caused that thread to go way off the rails and the thread became a battleground between long-standing and frequent members who only posted using one username.

Wow, Rey! Gotta say I was shocked while reading through that old thread.

No, not so much shocked by the acrimony exhibited by some in it.

Nope, what I was REALLY shocked about, and perhaps pleasantly so, was when I ran across an old  posting by Jake Holman, and in which he actually wrote TWELVE whole LINES in it, AND in his OWN WORDS, no less?!!!

(...so it seems back in the day ol' Jake wasn't "the man of few words" he's been since I joined up around here back in 2011, eh?!)  ;) 

LOL

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Wow, Rey! Gotta say I was shocked while reading through that old thread.

No, not so much shocked by the acrimony exhibited by some in it.

Nope, what I was REALLY shocked about, and perhaps pleasantly so, was when I ran across an old  posting by Jake Holman, and in which he actually wrote TWELVE whole LINES in it, AND in his OWN WORDS, no less?!!!

(...so it seems back in the day ol' Jake wasn't "the man of few words" he's been since I joined up around here back in 2011, eh?!)  ;) 

LOL

Thats for sure Dargo!!!

I only wishe I could locate the actual Heinz57 thread. The one that started it all. Although, I believe the administrators locked that thread and threw it away, forever.