Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Keep this channel an entertainment channel, please!


Recommended Posts

I was saddened to see films like Gone With The Wind and The Searchers submitted to attack over “woke” issues.  If every movie introduced by a prime time host is going to contain “warnings” as to its historical issues, I will be left no other choice but to mute the host’s intro, then watch the film.  Few of us need these lectures.  Even the prologue to Gone With The Wind makes mention of ways of the past that are simply gone with the wind.  What more do we need.  I worry that eventually a huge portion of classic films will be canceled.  After seeing Doris Day in blackface in “I’ll See You In My Dreams,” I wonder how long it will be until Doris Day is canceled.  
 

Kleb

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am asking that the hosts of TCM not use their platforms to push cultural and/or progressive political agendas.  Please let the viewers enjoy an old film for the simple entertainment value and let the viewer make their own decisions as to what may be offensive to them.  Keep TCM a cherished archive of beloved films of all genres for all people.  Please keep this channel family friendly and in line with the intent to entertain and uplift, as when people walked out of movie theaters on a Saturday afternoon upbeat and forgetting their cares.   As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrswbw said:

I am asking that the hosts of TCM not use their platforms to push cultural and/or progressive political agendas.  Please let the viewers enjoy an old film for the simple entertainment value and let the viewer make their own decisions as to what may be offensive to them.  Keep TCM a cherished archive of beloved films of all genres for all people.  Please keep this channel family friendly and in line with the intent to entertain and uplift, as when people walked out of movie theaters on a Saturday afternoon upbeat and forgetting their cares.   As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost.

Since its inception TCM has broadcast silent films and precode films that feature sex and violence. They also made it clear at the very beginning, in an on-air statement that Robert Osborne delivered, that their definition of classic also includes modern films and many of those titles feature profanity and nudity.

These are part of the cherished beloved films you mention in your highly exaggerated statement. 

It sounds to me like you are trying to push your own moralistic right-wing agenda under the guise of 'simple entertainment.' Nothing about it is simple at all.

If you cannot tolerate a progressive attitude that seeks to make our culture better for ALL individuals, then maybe it's time for you to change the channel. 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been watching TCM since day one.  It's the one place where I haven't found cancel "woke" culture.... until now.  You've hired a liberal intellectual college professor who has brought that culture with her and you've allowed her to take over the network.  I, too, will be forced to mute the host's intro.  We are ALL intelligent enough to discern what about history to accept or not and it's an individual responsibility.  We don't need you to educate us.  History is ALL valuable for one reason or another unless you erase it and then we're all doomed to repeat it.  Robert Osborne is turning in his grave.  I have stopped watching on Sunday night and I'm avoiding all of your "cancel culture" programming.   It breaks my heart because TCM as been the largest percentage of my entertainment since the beginning.  "Que sera sera," as the soon to be cancelled Doris Day would say.  Shame on you, TCM.

 

Alypace

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Since its inception TCM has broadcast silent films and precode films that feature sex and violence. They also made it clear at the very beginning, in an on-air statement that Robert Osborne delivered, that their definition of classic also includes modern films and many of those titles feature profanity and nudity.

These are part of the cherished beloved films you mention in your highly exaggerated statement. 

It sounds to me like you are trying to push your own moralistic right-wing agenda under the guise of 'simple entertainment.' Nothing about it is simple at all.

If you cannot tolerate a progressive attitude that seeks to make our cultural better for ALL individuals, then maybe it's time for you to change the channel. 

Yes

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

 

It sounds to me like you are trying to push your own moralistic right-wing agenda under the guise of 'simple entertainment.' Nothing about it is simple at all.

If you cannot tolerate a progressive attitude that seeks to make our cultural better for ALL individuals, then maybe it's time for you to change the channel. 

Gee TB! Whatever gave you the impression that this latest "One-Post Wonder" here possess a "right-wing agenda" that they wish to express here, HUH?

Oh wait, could it perhaps have been the following that they said in their little lament to the TCM's hosts?..

1 hour ago, mrswbw said:

   As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost.

Yeah, I'll bet that THIS is what gave you this impression here, isn't it.  ;) LOL

(...but see, what you fail to understand here is that MOST Americans resist having their little world views of things challenged, and JUST want to sit back in front of the TV and vegitate after a hard day's work...I know, I know...what a shame, huh)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Gee TB! Whatever gave you the impression that this latest "One-Post Wonder" here possess a "right-wing agenda" that they wish to express here, HUH?

Oh wait, could it perhaps have been the following that they said in their little lament to the TCM's hosts?..

Yeah, I'll bet that THIS is what gave you this impression here, isn't it.  ;)

(...but see, what you fail to understand here is that MOST Americans resist having their little world views of things challenged, and JUST want to sit back in front of the TV and vegitate after a hard day's work...I know, I know...what a shame, huh)

I don't think the original poster is interested in vegetating. She is interested in having her conservative views reflected on TCM and wants a liberal progressive agenda pushed off the screen. The hosts' commentaries are disturbing her.

Of course she could mute the commentaries, or fast-forward over them. Or maybe use the schedule to tune in to those times TCM is broadcasting movies that are morally acceptable to her.

We don't know if she will remain a "one-post wonder"...or as I call it, a hit-and-run poster. 

We've seen these outbursts before and they're tedious. TCM has a political agenda and it won't be swayed. All the whinging in the world is not going to change this.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think the original poster is interested in vegetating. She is interested in having her conservative views reflected on TCM and wants a liberal progressive agenda pushed off the screen. The hosts' commentaries are disturbing her.

Of course she could mute the commentaries, or fast-forward over them. Or maybe use the schedule to tune in to those times TCM is broadcasting movies that are morally acceptable to her.

We don't know if she will remain a "one-post wonder"...or as I call it, a hit-and-run poster. 

We've seen these outbursts before and they're tedious. TCM has a political agenda and it won't be swayed. All the whinging in the world is not going to change this.

Nope, sorry TB, but I still think our lastest One-Post Wonder here (okay okay, "hit-and-run poster" if you want) PRIMARY reason for taking the time to express their discomfort with the TCM hosts IS because they just want to be "entertained" and not have their preset notions challenged in any way. Heck dude, their thread title even includes the word "entertainment" in it, remember?!

(...btw, this poster reminds me of some of the comments I read on the net and after it was announced that Katie Couric was going to be a future guest host on Jeopardy!...some actually stated that they'd stop watching this quiz show if that "liberal newswoman" hosted it, and I'd guess because Couric will always now be associated with the tough questions she asked of that moron Sarah Palin when she ran for the Vice Presidency...well, I just now finished watching Miss Couric's first week as Jeopardy!'s guest host and ya know WHAT?...not ONCE did has she ever attempt to interject any of her political opinions within it...wow, who'd have guessed, RIGHT?!...well, maybe ANYONE who isn't some dye-in-the wool, closed-minded as hell RIGHTIE anyway, RIGHT?)  ;)

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, sorry TB, but I still think our lastest One-Post Wonder here (okay okay, "hit-and-run poster" if you want) PRIMARY reason for taking the time to express their discomfort with the TCM hosts IS because they just want to be "entertained" and not have their preset notions challenged in any way. Heck dude, their thread title even includes the word "entertainment" in it, remember?!

(...btw, this poster reminds me of some of the posts I read on the net and after it was announced that Katie Couric was going to be a future guest host on Jeopardy!...some of the morons actually stated that they'd stop watching this quiz show if that "liberal newswoman" hosted it, and I'd guess because Couric will always now be associated with the tough questions she asked of that moron Sarah Palin when she ran for the Vice Presidency...well, I just now finished watching Miss Couric's first week as Jeopardy!'s guest host and ya know WHAT?...not ONCE did has she ever attempt to interject any of her political opinions within it...wow, who'd have guessed, RIGHT?!...well, maybe ANYONE who isn't some dye-in-the wool, closed-minded as hell RIGHTIE anyway, RIGHT?)  ;)

I think the original poster is saying this is about entertainment (or wanting to be entertained) but it's about politics. 

These types of people think classic film means old films, and that old films are supposed to represent a simpler time. But there was never a simpler time. 

They're threatened that liberals are pushing ahead and their way of life is now challenged. Their way of ignorance is now challenged.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think the original poster is saying this is about entertainment (or wanting to be entertained) but it's about politics. 

These types of people think classic film means old films, and that old films are supposed to represent a simpler time. But there was never a simpler time. 

They're threatened that liberals are pushing ahead and their way of life is now challenged. Their way of ignorance is now challenged.

Yeah, okay,  I'll go along with ya on this one here, TB.

But still, remember that the idea of being "entertained" that MANY in this country think of when the concept of "Entertainment" comes up, can STILL pretty much be defined as something which will help them "vegitate" while not being challeged in thinking about all the issues and the strife that they incur and witness in their daily lives. Or in other words, the "junk food" of entertainment.

(...and hey, what better way to do THAT than to sit back and enjoy an old classic flick in which they think, because the Hollywood studios at the time offered up the idea in spades to a willing public, harks back to some "simpler time" in our history, BUT which in many cases and as you said here, wasn't as "rosy" in REAL life as it was in reel life back in the day)

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mrswbw said:

I am asking that the hosts of TCM not use their platforms to push cultural and/or progressive political agendas.  Please let the viewers enjoy an old film for the simple entertainment value and let the viewer make their own decisions as to what may be offensive to them.  Keep TCM a cherished archive of beloved films of all genres for all people.  Please keep this channel family friendly and in line with the intent to entertain and uplift, as when people walked out of movie theaters on a Saturday afternoon upbeat and forgetting their cares.   As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost.

As you will note, a couple of posters have assaulted your position from their own political perspectives.  Perhaps because your post is confusing in that you do not go into more detail as to what you don't want to see on TCM.  Can you give some examples of what you think should not be shown on TCM and why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, okay,  I'll go along with ya on this one here, TB.

But still, remember that the idea of being "entertained" that MANY in this country think of when the concept of "Entertainment" comes up, can STILL pretty much be defined as something which will help them "vegitate" while not being challeged in thinking about all the issues and the strife that they incur and witness in their daily lives. Or in other words, the "junk food" of entertainment.

(...and hey, what better way to do THAT than to sit back and enjoy an old classic flick in which they think, because the Hollywood studios at the time offered up the idea in spades to a willing public, harks back to some "simpler time" in our history, BUT which in many cases and as you said here, wasn't as "rosy" in REAL life as it was in reel life back in the day)

I guess I'm the opposite. I find watching classic films to be somewhat taxing, in a good way. I am engaged in the films, analyzing why they are made the way they are, what they are reflecting about various cultures and society at large. It's not a passive experience for me. The films are not lulling me into a sense of complacency. They are causing me to think and critique.

But hey, we all get our enjoyment where we can find it! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Original Post is confusing because it's just one long run on statement without facts or punctuation.

Rather than repressing commentary, which is subjective....the only policy change that would result in complete TCM rejection is the addition of COMMERCIALS to their broadcast.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mrswbw said:

I am asking that the hosts of TCM not use their platforms to push cultural and/or progressive political agendas.  Please let the viewers enjoy an old film for the simple entertainment value and let the viewer make their own decisions as to what may be offensive to them.  Keep TCM a cherished archive of beloved films of all genres for all people.  Please keep this channel family friendly and in line with the intent to entertain and uplift, as when people walked out of movie theaters on a Saturday afternoon upbeat and forgetting their cares.   As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost.

Bait.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ElCid said:

As you will note, a couple of posters have assaulted your position from their own political perspectives.  Perhaps because your post is confusing in that you do not go into more detail as to what you don't want to see on TCM.  Can you give some examples of what you think should not be shown on TCM and why?

First here Cid, the OP did in fact make it pretty darn clear what they didn't want to see on TCM. Read their post again and I'm pretty sure you'll see what they DON'T want to see on this channel are the TCM hosts doing things like their "history lessons" about "problematic" films which have run this past week. I'm SURE that THIS was why they were prompted to state their complaint. 

No, I do NOT think it had anything to do with the films TCM is showing of late, and because if it DID, I'm again sure that they would have mentioned not liking any movie presented made past the time the studio system ceased to exist, and which is of course another reoccurring theme that "One-Post Wonders" tend to come on here and complain about. This "OPW" just wanted to "be entertained" and I'm SURE not be "lectured to" and ESPECIALLY by whom they consider to be "Liberals" about the narratives contained within those "problematic" movies. You know, those Liberals who, as I'm ALSO sure the OP believes, have contributed to "America's moral decay" and "government overreach". And, I'm SURE of THIS because of their very last line in their OP and where they state: "As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost."

(...and, I'd be very VERY surprised IF our latest "OPW" here ever returns to clarifiy their thoughts for you, BUT now that I HAVE...you're welcome!)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

As usual, everyone has missed the obvious point - the poster is simply requesting that Marie Osmond films should be shown.

You are correct.

And instead of commentary on the movies, the poster is quite clearly asking for Marie Osmond's recipes to be shared before and possibly after the movie airings.

But, beware, mrswbw.   Marie Osmond's Lemon Cheesecake recipe uses bottled Real Lemon brand lemon juice rather than fresh lemon juice.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

You are correct.

And instead of commentary on the movies, the poster is quite clearly asking for Marie Osmond's recipes to be shared before and possibly after the movie airings.

But, beware, mrswbw.   Marie Osmond's Lemon Cheesecake recipe uses bottled Real Lemon brand lemon juice rather than fresh lemon juice.

She just orders it from Nutrisystem these days...

Nutrisystem TV Commercial, 'Lowest Price in Seven Years' Featuring Marie  Osmond - iSpot.tv

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something happened to me this morning that made me think of this thread.

I had insomnia around 4:30 or 5 a.m. this morning. I couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to see what had been recently uploaded on YouTube.

I found a copy of SECOND CHORUS (1940), a fluffy musical comedy with Fred Astaire, Paulette Goddard and Burgess Meredith.

After twenty minutes of watching it, I feel fast asleep. Why did I fall asleep? Because it's nothing more than frivolous entertainment that doesn't demand too much of the viewer, except to enjoy it and relax (and in my case become so relaxed I drifted back off to dreamland).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the original poster of this thread is ignoring an obvious solution to her problem (I'm presuming the poster is female--if not, sorry).  If she is annoyed by comments made by TCM hosts  in their intros, there is such a thing as a MUTE button on your remote control. I sometimes have recourse to it when Ben Mankiewicz gets on his soapbox and starts preaching about the Hollywood blacklist and the House Un-American Activities Committee. I've heard it all before, no need to rehash it again, so I just mute him and enjoy the movie. Simple as that. As far as keeping TCM "family friendly," we all have different tastes. I'm sure there are many films shown by TCM (perhaps a majority of them)  that could be considered "family friendly." For those movies that don't qualify  as such,  don't watch them if they offend you. It really is that simple.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

When one tells you what you like to hear, it is wisdom.  When one tells you what don't like to hear, it is preaching.

So slayton, then I would suppose you might consider it "preaching" if I'd now mention that you're missing the second "you" in your second sentence up there, right?

(...sorry...good point up there, though!)  ;)

LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

When one tells you what you like to hear, it is wisdom.  When one tells you what you don't like to hear, it is preaching.

AND . . .

In space no one can hear you scream. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...