Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Keep this channel an entertainment channel, please!

23 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

AND . . .

In space no one can hear you scream. 

Sorry Holden, but that's an alien concept to me.

(...I know, I know, grooooooan...there, I just did it for ya!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Millenniumman said:

Like every week he mentions the blacklist it does get annoying.

Well, it's something that matters to him.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
On 3/12/2021 at 7:39 PM, TopBilled said:

Since its inception TCM has broadcast silent films and precode films that feature sex and violence. They also made it clear at the very beginning, in an on-air statement that Robert Osborne delivered, that their definition of classic also includes modern films and many of those titles feature profanity and nudity.

These are part of the cherished beloved films you mention in your highly exaggerated statement. 

It sounds to me like you are trying to push your own moralistic right-wing agenda under the guise of 'simple entertainment.' Nothing about it is simple at all.

If you cannot tolerate a progressive attitude that seeks to make our culture better for ALL individuals, then maybe it's time for you to change the channel. 

🙏

On 3/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, mrswbw said:

I am asking that the hosts of TCM not use their platforms to push cultural and/or progressive political agendas.  Please let the viewers enjoy an old film for the simple entertainment value and let the viewer make their own decisions as to what may be offensive to them.  Keep TCM a cherished archive of beloved films of all genres for all people.  Please keep this channel family friendly and in line with the intent to entertain and uplift, as when people walked out of movie theaters on a Saturday afternoon upbeat and forgetting their cares.   As we watch our nation slowly sink into the abyss of moral decay and government control, preserve for us these treasured glimpses into years that are forever lost.

I.. Would Also Like to Segway.. ..Add; to TopBilleds Initial Comment just a Speck ..

_

Im Not Meaning.. ...Nor Intending to be a Richard in saying this (👇) either,.

. ...

... .

Just.. ... because ..

..a .. ...Story says .. "R",. Or "Viewer Discretion Advised",.. .. or "For Mature Audiences Only ..",.

.. ... (that) doesnt neccesarily negate. diminish,. .. ...(n)or undermine .. ... ....the Uplifting and Affirming Happenstance and Story of said film ..

_

This should come as NO Surprise to Any Single Soul that ..

... ..in general.. ..as time has gone on.. -

-- stories .. ... .....and subsuquently films and t.v.,

Have grown and become (WAYY) More Risque' ...

. ..... .. ...

With that being said then..

I have seen .. ..well.. ..... ..MANY.. ..Stories .. ...that have a EXQUISITE message of what i will (very broadly) refer to as Hope, ..Peace ... ..Love... .and (or) Humanity .. .....

..that are nonetheless (Sometimes EXTRAORDINARILY) (Partially) NSFW, --- - ,Such As (but Not confined to) the Sessions... ..Dreamland.. ...Meadowland.. ...Cloud Atlas... ..the Shape of Water.. ..the Congress.. ..Perfect Sense. ...Powder Blue... Blade Runner 2049.. ... Dead Man Down.. ..Adore ... ..Broken Circle BreakDown .. You Were Never Really Here .. ..BrimStone... ..Aemile' (sp).. ..the Whistlers ... ..the Master ..... A Lonely Place to Die, ... the Wanting Mare .. .. the Survivalist .. .,My Hindu Friend .. ..Adoration ...

Among Perhaps and Most Likely, (Scores of) Others ..

. ..... ... ....... ..

Bottom Line..

Even If a Story is "Not Intended for All Audiences ...

It can Still be Transcendental .. lightening in a bottle .. and (or) Magnificently Didactic..

9 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

I.. Would Also Like to Segway.. ..

Well ya know Ari, there still are a few places around where you can rent one of those things.  ;)

• Haha 2
On 3/15/2021 at 7:48 AM, skipd55 said:

When it comes to the blacklist, Ben preaches.

Well, since others here are dispensing pearls of platitudes, I'll join in and say that Ben wants to make sure nobody forgets about it because---

When people forget history, they run the risk of repeating it.

Or something like that....  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The 'woke' cancel culture has now spread to TCM. Sad to see. Just watched "National Velvet' and, to my alarm, they felt the need to have a discussion abut the 'tomboy' image of Elizabeth Taylor and how it may impact the young girls watching. Got news for TCM, I seriously doubt there are many 16-20 year olds watching TCM, plan to watch TCM, or even know about TCM. The apologists on TCM take a lot away from the channel and do no good frying the pan of race, sexism and alternative films. Cringe worthy.

It's getting out of control. I yearn for the old days of TCM when they just played the darn movies with a little history for each before and after (which they just lift from imdb.com, almost word for word). TCM: Just play the movies. I don't need a lecture on a 'woke' issue in the movie, movies we've seen many, many times before. It's a shame that TCM has resorted to this PC/mob response. You'd think we'd want to go out and buy a person as a slave after watching "Gone With The Wind" for cryin' out loud. It's history, it happened, it can't change any of that.

I've watched TCM since the first day and have fond memories where I didn't get lectured on just about every movie they play. I don't need to be talked (down) to about some PC issue in the movie I'm about to watch. Don't we have enough of this 'cancel culture' and the mob watching our every move just waiting for the chance to cancel us?? I've taken to muting or fast forwarding the buffer to get past this lecturing and watch the movie. Not because I don't agree there may be sensitive issues in a lick; but because painting me and other viewers with a broad stroke of 'woke' paint to assuage the feelings of a small portion of the audience.  And don't get me started on the 'Pre-code' altar worshiping that is rampant on TCM. 'Pre-code' movies of the 30's are whipping cream compare to the sex/violence in today's movies.

Just play the movies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/16/2021 at 2:48 AM, Aritosthenes said:

I.. Would Also Like to Segway.. ..Add;

Ugh did you mean "segue"?

Why not expend a little effort so others can understand you? There is great power in correct grammar & spelling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, since others here are dispensing pearls of platitudes, I'll join in and say that Ben wants to make sure nobody forgets about it because---

When people forget history, they run the risk of repeating it.

Or something like that....  ;) 

Sepiatone

To be sure, I don't disagree with Ben's views on the blacklist. It was a terrible time in our history and a blight on the entire Hollywood film community (including the guilds). But Ben repeats himself on the topic ad nauseam.  No one will forget about the blacklist, believe me. Especially since few people living today have any memory of it. Most of us who know anything at all about the blacklist have either read about it or heard about it from others. Ben's heart is in the right place, but he ought to give it a rest sometimes.

• Like 2

I agree it can get stale to those of us that's heard Ben drone on and on about it many times over the years, but what about those viewers who are not only new to classic film but to TCM as well?  And maybe young enough to have NEVER heard of the blacklist?  I don't doubt there are some who haven't and Ben might be thinking of them?  

Sepiatone

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Ugh did you mean "segue"?

Why not expend a little effort so others can understand you? There is great power in correct grammar & spelling.

Why Not Expend a Little More time being Respectful ?. ??

Or If Not Respectful. .. at the very least Professional ? (??

So What if i type differently?. 😐

- --

If Ya Have a Problem with it.. ... Simple. Dont Respond. 🙏

So Why Have a Profile of Someone smoking ?. .. She's Pretty And All. But Smoking Kills.

Misspelling a word does not,. 🙏

Unless Shes chewing Her nails.. ...which i think is unhealthy. 😐😬

But (and Apologies for this parenthetical Here.. ...but i think this is JUST (again,. My Sincere Apologies for.. ... those .. ..."Awful" bold words ?.. i Suppose ?? 🤨😐🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

But this is maybe even MORE Important,.

I dont want to assume.

🙏 and i dont say that from a haughty standpoint either. 🙏🙏🙏

. ...

Besides +perhaps perpetuating readers inclination to drink when reading a great deal of my text(s) and correspondences. 

Perhaps Save for when referencing trump. .. who is (at the very least) a Jerk of Catastrophic Proportions..

..am i Rude.?

Have i threatened anyone around here ?.

Why Not Keep It Civil ? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Honestly,. .. im Not Sure Your Profile There IS Smoking or Biting Her Nails. And Probably and Sincerely,. .. She (Your Profile There) is Probably Not,. ! 🙏

_

My Point Is.

What IS the Point of a Comment Like That ? ??, ? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If You Dont Like the Proverbial Trailer,  .. then Don't Watch it, or Change the Channel (?) ?? ..

1 hour ago, skipd55 said:

To be sure, I don't disagree with Ben's views on the blacklist. It was a terrible time in our history and a blight on the entire Hollywood film community (including the guilds). But Ben repeats himself on the topic ad nauseam.  No one will forget about the blacklist, believe me. Especially since few people living today have any memory of it. Most of us who know anything at all about the blacklist have either read about it or heard about it from others. Ben's heart is in the right place, but he ought to give it a rest sometimes.

Or air an alternative viewpoint once in a while, if such can be found. I'm actually cool with the blacklist (hey, consider it 50s Cancel Culture, if it helps), but I know most aren't. Ben is preaching to the choir. 

I'm not going to quote Aritoshenes post since seeing that post on the bds, all anyone can say is once is enough! I agree with Tiki and I might add reading posts typed that way is a chore and annoying. Please just post normally, typing your posts the way you have doesn't make you seem interesting or intelligent, just strange.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
50 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Or air an alternative viewpoint once in a while, if such can be found. I'm actually cool with the blacklist (hey, consider it 50s Cancel Culture, if it helps), but I know most aren't. Ben is preaching to the choir. 

"Cool" with the blacklist?  THAT bears explanation.  How can anyone be "cool" with something that needlessly ruined hundreds to thousands of lives and livelihoods?

Sepiatone

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I agree it can get stale to those of us that's heard Ben drone on and on about it many times over the years, but what about those viewers who are not only new to classic film but to TCM as well?  And maybe young enough to have NEVER heard of the blacklist?  I don't doubt there are some who haven't and Ben might be thinking of them?  

Sepiatone

Thanks, Sepiatone. And you're right. There may be some very young people out there who've never heard of the Hollywood Blacklist, the McCarthy Era or any of that. But there is something to remedy that (and I cringe as I type it)-- it's called Google.

• Haha 1

Shame on TMC.  Is there no one remaining at TCM with any intelligence or sense?  Is there no one with any courage at TCM?  You have all bowed to the woke crowd.  What gives TCM the right to alter a single film?  What gives TCM the right to pass judgement on someone else's creative project and views from the past?  What god ordained TCM's current views and opinions to be the only right views and opinions and the only views and opinions allowed to be voiced and viewed on film?  What gives TCM the right to decide for ME what I want to watch?  What gives TCM the right to determine what I find offensive?  Just who do you think you are anyway, a film god?  If I were to call you all idiots, it would be too mild, so I won't call you idiots.  I won't call you anything.  I've been watching TCM from day one.  But now that TCM has elected itself to be my protector from all things offensive (as deemed by TCM) by censoring what I'm allowed to view,  I've decided I won't watch anything that TMC deems to be inoffensive!  Down with censorship! And that means down with TCM!

I think the blacklist is worth mentioning and reminding viewers about it.  HUAC's Red Scare and subsequent blacklist affected hundreds, if not thousands of people's lives and livelihoods.  People who made their living writing, producing films, etc. with even the most tenuous link to Communism were banned from earning their livelihoods--even if they weren't active members of the Communist party.  Even people who were accused of being Communist were banned, even without any proof!

Lucille Ball's television career was *almost* ended in the middle of I Love Lucy's run because someone dredged up some old form she'd filled out in the mid-1930s stating that she was signing up to be a member of the Communist party.  She  never actively participated in any Communist activities, nor did she ever cast a vote for a Communist candidate.  She filled out her "intent to register as a member of the Communist party" to appease her grandfather.  She barely escaped from that fiasco without her career being ruined. 

This same witchhunt/blacklist mentality is alive and well via social media.  Look at how many people's careers are ruined because of one, unproven accusation.  Look at how many people's old comments and activities from 20 years ago come back to haunt them because someone decided to go back and find some dirt on someone.  Members of the social media community are so quick to condemn and call for boycotts of people without any actual proof that they actually committed whatever thing they're accused of.  Even long dead celebrities are victims of social media's condemnation of unproven accusations.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This same witchhunt/blacklist mentality is alive and well via social media.  Look at how many people's careers are ruined because of one, unproven accusation.  Look at how many people's old comments and activities from 20 years ago come back to haunt them because someone decided to go back and find some dirt on someone.  Members of the social media community are so quick to condemn and call for boycotts of people without any actual proof that they actually committed whatever thing they're accused of.  Even long dead celebrities are victims of social media's condemnation of unproven accusations.   

And so I'll now speak for the more conservative among us here, speedy, and even though as you might know, I pride myself on being a centrist*.

What you just said here is exactly the reason the conservative element in our country today is so quick, and perhaps rightly so, in calling what we so often see today and what you just described here, as "hypocritical", and because it seems the majority of those who are doing this sort of thing today are most often self-described liberals, and who themselves are just practicing a newer form of McCarthyism.

(*-people, and unfortunately of late a seemingly diminishing number of in this world and in this country, who are able to recognize the folly that so often comes from the mouths of those who solidly position themselves on the sides of the political spectrum...both on the Left AND on the Right)

• Like 4
10 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm not going to quote Aritoshenes post since seeing that post on the bds, all anyone can say is once is enough! I agree with Tiki and I might add reading posts typed that way is a chore and annoying. Please just post normally, typing your posts the way you have doesn't make you seem interesting or intelligent, just strange.

Is it still doing that? It was obvious to me from the first that they have no real desire to actually communicate and so I plonked them. The forum looks so much neater when they are simply a grey line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, Dargo said:

And so I'll now speak for the more conservative among us here, speedy, and even though as you might know, I pride myself on being a centrist*.

What you just said here is exactly the reason the conservative element in our country today is so quick, and perhaps rightly so, in calling what we so often see today and what you just described here, as "hypocritical", and because it seems the majority of those who are doing this sort of thing today are most often self-described liberals, and who themselves are just practicing a newer form of McCarthyism.

(*-people, and unfortunately of late a seemingly diminishing number of in this world and in this country, who are able to recognize the folly that so often comes from the mouths of those who solidly position themselves on the sides of the political spectrum...both on the Left AND on the Right)

It does come from all sides.  But there is a difference today.  The modern day "cancel culture" is more often driven from loud voices from who-knows-where, whereas McCarthyism originated in Congress. To be sure, there are still members of Congress who want to grandstand and waste time holding hearings, but we haven't had a full-blown repeat of that shameful era.

Cancel culture is an extension of the old boycott mentality.  That's always been with us.  We can thank social media for enabling the instant outrage we see today.  In the old days, it took real effort to organize a protest or boycott.  Nowadays it takes 15 seconds of typing, if you have enough followers and have a catchy hashtag.

I had a co-worker whose husband was on a city council.  They got dragged into a Twitter/Facebook war between constituents and she was having trouble dealing with it.  I told her that the human race was not yet mature enough to handle social media.  That was 10 years ago.  It's only gotten worse.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

It does come from all sides.  But there is a difference today.  The modern day "cancel culture" is more often driven from loud voices from who-knows-where, whereas McCarthyism originated in Congress. To be sure, there are still members of Congress who want to grandstand and waste time holding hearings, but we haven't had a full-blown repeat of that shameful era.

Cancel culture is an extension of the old boycott mentality.  That's always been with us.  We can thank social media for enabling the instant outrage we see today.  In the old days, it took real effort to organize a protest or boycott.  Nowadays it takes 15 seconds of typing, if you have enough followers and have a catchy hashtag.

I had a co-worker whose husband was on a city council.  They got dragged into a Twitter/Facebook war between constituents and she was having trouble dealing with it.  I told her that the human race was not yet mature enough to handle social media.  That was 10 years ago.  It's only gotten worse.

Well said here Tex, and agree with everything you just said here.

(...saaaay, I'll bet YOU are probably a centrist TOO, aren't you?!)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well said here Tex, and agree with everything you just said here.

(...saaaay, I'll bet YOU are probably a centrist TOO, aren't you?!)  ;)

LOL

While on the subject(sorta) of labels, I'm trying to think of one for me.  "Centrist" and "Moderate" don't seem to suitably fit,  as I usually more or less slalom twixt the two sides instead of following any kind of "fixed" path.   But they'll do OK for now.

Sepiatone

• Like 2