Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Keep this channel an entertainment channel, please!

On 4/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, MovieMadness said:

BTW it is never pointed out how the Democrat party was as behind this as any other back then. Just like it was FDR that interned Japanese during WW2, or a Democrat dropped atomic bombs on them as well. Had a Republican done it that would be pointed out continuously for ages and ages just like they do with "blacklisting".

Actually here MM, Democratic President Harry Truman's decision and his rationale for dropping those bombs on Japan HAS been questioned by many in recent years. And, some of those who question his decision have accused his decision was based on "racist" grounds.

And btw, I remember a time in which billboards and bumper stickers abounded which stated the following thought, "Impeach Earl Warren", and after the then sitting Chief Justice's court ruled to desegregate public schools. And as you might not know, Earl Warren was a Republican.

(...of course THAT was a time in America when there were STILL actually Republicans who had the guts and principles to resist toeing to the far right ideology which is all the rage in that party today)

• Thanks 1

But that was that "old" republican party that former long time republican  Michigan governor BILL MILLIKEN  belonged to and got razzed for when he lamented the lack of civility and reasonableness path the "new" republicans were following.  And true too, when I listen(for whatever reason) to right-wing radio these days I hear more paranoia than patriotism.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Wow. Who knew so many hateful people watched TCM? I can't speak for the original poster, but I can speak for myself. My life is one giant bundle of stress these days, for reasons I'll keep to myself.  For YEARS, watching TCM has been my one escape. I don't watch it to be preached to, Left or Right. My beliefs are my own, just as much as the beliefs of the snarky, pompous, posters on this comment are theirs. I'm not a child who needs to be taught. I watch the programming to be entertained, end of. Those making condescending and arrogant comments because someone only wants entertainment from a channel that is supposed to BE entertainment should be ashamed.  Those ivory towers you've erected for yourselves are as flimsy as your grasp on the fact your opinions hold no more sway than anyone else's.  Let the insults on MY opinion commence..

ESPN went down this path a couple of years ago and ended up laying off all of the "hosts" who were pushing an open political agenda after ratings cratered badly for them. Today all we get is a myopic view on race, as though one party is responsible for everything bad that happened. Of coarse movies reflected society back then, but it is not accurately being portrayed because when everyone thinks alike, nobody thinks. It wasn't until very recently that African Americans received Oscars after a huge backlash about the current state of Hollywood. Even women weren't being given leading roles in many productions, meanwhile this was the "liberal" Hollywood telling us how we were the ones who needed to be inclusive.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Mia Bianchi said:

Let the insults on MY opinion commence..

8 hours ago, Mia Bianchi said:

I'm not a child who needs to be taught.

Well, okay then Mia, and seein' as how you're giving us permission here.

Sorry my dear, but the day ANYONE thinks they already know it all and don't "need to be taught", is the day their growth as an individual ceases, and REGARDLESS their age at the time.

(...gee, I hope this didn't "insult" you OR that I was being "hateful" in any way here....just givin' ya a fact here, that's all...and btw, a "fact" which has been handed down to each succeeding generation of the human race since ancient times...but I'll bet you already knew THIS too, didn't ya)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

ESPN went down this path a couple of years ago and ended up laying off all of the "hosts" who were pushing an open political agenda after ratings cratered badly for them. Today all we get is a myopic view on race, as though one party is responsible for everything bad that happened. Of coarse movies reflected society back then, but it is not accurately being portrayed because when everyone thinks alike, nobody thinks. It wasn't until very recently that African Americans received Oscars after a huge backlash about the current state of Hollywood. Even women weren't being given leading roles in many productions, meanwhile this was the "liberal" Hollywood telling us how we were the ones who needed to be inclusive.

Recently as 1940, if memory serves....

;)   And I also seem to recall the likes of KATHERINE HEPBURN and BETTE DAVIS  given leading roles around the same time.  Or DON'T you really watch TCM?

Sepiatone

On 3/11/2021 at 7:11 AM, Kleb said:

I was saddened to see films like Gone With The Wind and The Searchers submitted to attack over “woke” issues.  If every movie introduced by a prime time host is going to contain “warnings” as to its historical issues, I will be left no other choice but to mute the host’s intro, then watch the film.  Few of us need these lectures.  Even the prologue to Gone With The Wind makes mention of ways of the past that are simply gone with the wind.  What more do we need.  I worry that eventually a huge portion of classic films will be canceled.  After seeing Doris Day in blackface in “I’ll See You In My Dreams,” I wonder how long it will be until Doris Day is canceled.  

Kleb

I wish TCM would stop with the warnings at the beginning of movies as well, because in the end it's just entertainment. But, I always have my dvds to watch and they come completely uncensored and without any warnings 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And yet, nobody seemed to have complained when in movies like COMING TO AMERICA ('88) EDDIE MURPHY performs in whiteface!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Just saw The War With Grandpa (2020), starring Robert DeNiro, over at my neighbors.  That started off with DeNiro, as a crotchety-crotch old grandpa, gratuitously harassing/ physically assaulting a black guy.  No problems with that, right?  :rolleyes:  No I didn't think so. https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

BTW, we immediately thought of that Coming To America scene too.  😁

• Thanks 1