Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Films of Richard Egan

reneex

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  Yeah, I'm one of them.   Only know A SUMMER PLACE('59) and LOVE ME TENDER('56).   

I lkie him well enough and too would be interested in more of his work.

Sepiatone

You missed Underwater when Jane Russell was Star of the Month?    Hard to miss what the film was clearly promoting!

Oh,  and Richard Egan is in the film as her husband.

Underwater! 1955.jpg

Egan was also featured on Noir Alley in the film Wicked Woman.    You should recall the film since it also featured iconic noir actor Percy Helton.

(you may recall that Joe and I teased you about this about a year ago because you were unware of how many noirs Helton was  in).

Percy Helton.jpg

• Like 1

Gog is available on YouTube,  with Egan playing a government agent investigating sabotage, although Herbert Marshall steals the show with a flamethrower. Untamed is also available on YouTube, with Egan playing against type in that one. I'd like to see 300 Spartans. 

• Like 2

After Underwater! he reteamed with Jane Russell for my favorite guilty pleasure. Raoul Walsh's The Revolt of Mamie Stover (1956). Jane was a pistol and Richard Egan was second only to Robert Mitchum in his ability to pair with her believably, in my opinion. It's Twentieth Century-Fox, but TCM has shown it and there's a stunning widescreen print out there. 

image5revoltmamiestover.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You missed Underwater when Jane Russell was Star of the Month?    Hard to miss what the film was clearly promoting!

Oh,  and Richard Egan is in the film as her husband.

Underwater! 1955.jpg

Egan was also featured on Noir Alley in the film Wicked Woman.    You should recall the film since it also featured iconic noir actor Percy Helton.

(you may recall that Joe and I teased you about this about a year ago because you were unware of how many noirs Helton was  in).

Percy Helton.jpg

Yep, I missed UNDERWATER  for whatever reason escapes me now.

I also don't recall you and Joe teasing me about Helton.  I have seen him in a few noirs, but was mostly familiar with him in various old movie character parts and many TV appearances in '50's and early '60's television shows.  And he is high on my "favorite character actors" list.  ;) 

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Quick sidetrack here, folks. Sorry.

Am I the only one who as kid would occassionally confuse Richard Egan with Phil Carey?

(...uh-huh, uh-huh...I THOUGHT so!)  ;)

I don't see how you could because:

1. They bear absolutely NO resemblance to each other and...

2.  Part of that could be because Carey was almost(it seemed ) TWICE as tall as Egan.  ;) 

Sepiatone

16 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't see how you could because:

1. They bear absolutely NO resemblance to each other and...

2.  Part of that could be because Carey was almost(it seemed ) TWICE as tall as Egan.  ;) 

Sepiatone

So, no in your case here, eh Sepia?

Well, I guess my "confusion" back in the day between the two actors was probably due to them both being the "ruggedly handsome" sort, both their careers coinciding during the same Hollywood era, and the fact that they both would never break into A-list status and despite both having "leading man" looks.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, no in your case here, eh Sepia?

Well, I guess my "confusion" back in the day between the two actors was probably due to them both being the "ruggedly handsome" sort, both their careers coinciding during the same Hollywood era, and the fact that they both would never break into A-list status and despite both having "leading man" looks.

I would say that these actors were considered "A" list by their respective studios...Carey at Columbia and Egan at RKO then 20th Century Fox. Not everyone has to be on the level of a Cary Grant or John Wayne (who are probably A+ list).

I thought Richard Egan was a dam good actor. he woulda made a great starship captain. besides Gog he made another cheapie sci-fi picture about a family caught in some kinda space-time warp. it was remade with jim davis. his friend Rod Serling wanted him to host The Twilight Zone but CBS said no so ole Rod said "hell, I'll host it myself.

Egan deserved better roles.

Richard Egan High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

my new plaid pants: Good Morning, Gratuitous Richard Egan

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 9:18 PM, TopBilled said:

I thought he did an excellent job in the RKO western TENSION AT TABLE ROCK (1956).

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 7.22.22 PM 2

yeah, that is a favorite of mine too. he's Wes Tancred and helps out one-armed cameron mitchell a sheriff.

:)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

yeah, that is a favorite of mine too. he's Wes Tancred and helps out one-armed cameron mitchell a sheriff.

:)

OH, you mean in that, ahem, "A-list" picture???

(...sorry guys, but as much as I've always liked Richard Egan too, AND Phil Carey for that matter, NEITHER of 'em were "A-list-ers"...ever)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

My earliest recollection of Richard Egan was in "Demetrius and the Gladiators".  He was not the star, but he had one memorable scene where he terrorized poor Debra Paget.   Everyone thought that he had killed her.

And I think mine might have been while watching him on TV in his starring role in Elvis' first movie...

Love-Me-Tender-film-images-1fec4d14-8fc7

(...of course by the looks of its poster here, one would think Elvis was the lead in this picture)

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Really, not until TCM put a few movies he was in on,  I only knew Carey from his tenure on LAREDO and later as Asa Buchanan on ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

Sepiatone

And, one of the things I'll always associate Phil Carey with was a series of TV commercials that ran out west here during the mid-'60s for a regional brand of potato chips named Granny Goose...

(..in fact, to this very day, I'll still sometimes ask someone, "What's in the bag, Goose?"...they of course will have NO idea what I'm talkin' about)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings