Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie songs you like that you think deserve to be more popular.

Many movie songs have transcended movies and time to take a place in our consciousness, and the consciousness of the world.  I don't need to note any, and anyone could make long list.  But every once in a while I hear a song in a movie that's really good and makes me wonder why it has been forgotten.  I can think of three off the top of my head.  The first is from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968).  It comes at the end of the movie and is called "Doll on a Music Box."  Sung by Sally Ann Howes, it's a lovely, lilting, simple song, yet quite affecting:

Another I understand why has not gone beyond its moive.  It's not too long, and tied to the action of the movie, but still, I'd like to see someone do something with it.  The song is "I Want it Now!" sung by Julie Dawn Cole in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971):

The last is my favorite.  It's a killer song sung by the great Lou Rawls called "I'm Satisfied" from the movie Duffy (1968):

La Marseillaise.

You know, that song they sang inside Rick's Cafe Americain in the movie Casablanca?

YOU know, the song they sang that ticked-off that Nazi Major Strasser enough to get Frenchie to close down the place?!

(...WELL?...it sure was never that "popular" here in THE STATES anyway, RIGHT???!!!)  ;)

3 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Oh, Dargo, Dargo. . . .

Yes, yes? ;)

Sorry slayton, but not only was THAT one the first thing that came to my mind here, but ALSO, well, I just couldn't resist goin' for the joke here.

(...c'mon, YOU know how I am by this time, now don't YA?!!!) 

LOL

I saw the miniseries A Suitable Boy recently and liked it very much. It takes place in the early 1950s.  They use a song from a 1950 Indian/Hindi movie (Samadhi) that I think deserves to be more popular. It's called "Gore Gore O Banke Chhore."  Here's the song from the original movie, not from the version used in A Suitable Boy.

Hey slayton! Okay, I've got a legit one for ya here.

Of all the songs based on the James Bond flicks, my favorite has always been the theme song that Nancy Sinatra sang of You Only Live Twice. I've especially always loved its orchestral string introduction and how it sounds so mysterious and romantic.

And, I've just checked out how high in the charts her record version went when it was first released in 1967, and it only barely broke into the Top-20, and so making it less "popular" than I would have imagined.

(...so, how about THIS one?)

• Like 1

👍🙏👌🙏👍👍👍👍 Topic Thread Here ..

👍👍👍

_

ILOVE Madam Sally's Musical # in that film,.

Honestly.. ... not sure how this will sound coming up (which im fine with) but that # imo is Almost -- TOO --- Goode .. To Be True.. ...let alone to Believe They Actually Sang that Gorgeous Number ...

Also.

.. .... towards the end of said musical sweet treat when Van Dyke Goes In for a Peck, ..on the Hand of Madam Howes.. ..and She Pulls Back "With" That Smile.. of Hers.. Upon that Beautiful Painted Face ...

.. That.

is one of the Most "Boss",. .. "Ive GotThis" ..Applause Worthy.. ....THAT,. Is How You DoIt.. --- ten - fifteen second interactions between two artists in All (of) Cinema imo ..

Its Brilliant. ..Beautiful. and Kalos,.

🌈🎭🎨👙🌈🌈🎨🌈

. ... ..

- I Left My Hat In Haiti. .. is (Freakin') AMAZING,.

.. .....and Catchy ..

As are .. .....

.. PrettyMuch ,ALL.. ... the Rest of These As Well ..

- Girl Hunt Ballet... .. 👌👍👍👍👍👍

- Obrien, to Ryan; to Goll(d ?)berg.   +10

(Along with Yes InDee(d)ee from Same film ..

- the Film version song of ,Over There, make my neck hair stand up (and salute lol) Every, Single.. Time i See That Amazing Film ..

- Adele Weiss.. .... .. .likewise makes me tear up.. ... every single time i watch that number ..

- (Rock) Iowa Stubborn ..

(Along with   .Goode Night,  My SomeOne,. ...from Same Film..

And While i know this isnt a film.. ... ive GOTTA Give Kudos and Applause to AnyThing Musical from the Brilliant musical chemist Carl Stalling ... .

. ..... .. .....

And As This (Somewhat Obliquely) Relates to my .. ... very weird constructed response ..  ...

Rest In Peace to Sir Christopher Plummer,. - Ninety One. 🌈

And

Warm Wishes of Continued Health, Blessings; and Safety  to

Sir Dick Van Dyke,. - Ninety Five. 🌈

Madam SallyAnn Howes,. - Ninety. 🌈

Shirley Jones,. - Eighty-Six. 🌈

and Jane Powell,. - Ninety-One. 🌈

The Time for Love is Any Time, from Cactus Flower

Moonraker, from Moonraker

all of the songs from Welcome to LA

Be Kind to My Mistakes, from Castaway 

Love Hates, from Tuff Turf

Play it Again, from the Tamarind Seed

We’ve Never Danced, from Made in Heaven

I could go on all day

I'm cheating a bit here, this is from a stage musical instead.  A US/Russian chess rivalry. with Murray Head playing "The American".

The only important thing to know here is this is a Benny and Bjorn composition.  Yeah baby.

Never mind all the checkered floors, I don't think they are in a Masonic lodge, though I could always be wrong, but I think this is one of those rare exceptions. 

Produced by Michael Tretow, who worked all the ABBA sessions.  So this is solid ABBA personnel, minus the girls and with a different singer.

Turn it up a bit for me...

• Thanks 1

Okay. Now here's another little ditty in a movie that I JUST could never understand why it never became more popular with the public.

Now see, what I'm thinkin' here is that IF you just up-tempo and jazz it up a bit, use a full orchestra, AND of course translate the lyrics into English, you'd probably have a big hit on your hands!

And then...ahem...and then....wait. 

Now that I think about this some more...eeh, never mind.

(...once again, sorry slayton...I JUST can't control this sort'a thing sometimes, ya know)  ;)

LOL

There aren't many Under the Cherry Moon fans, but this closing song is one of my favorite post-Purple Rain songs.  And it's certainly better than the Best Song winner for that year ("Take my Breath Away" from Top Gun). 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Now see, what I'm thinkin' here is that IF you just up-tempo and jazz it up a bit, use a full orchestra, AND of course translate the lyrics into English, you'd probably have a big hit on your hands!

And then...ahem...and then....wait. 

Now that I think about this some more...eeh, never mind.

(...once again, sorry slayton...I JUST can't control this sort'a thing sometimes, ya know)  ;)

LOL

You ol' incorrigible card. . . .

I'm cheating a bit here, this is from a stage musical instead.  A US/Russian chess rivalry. with Murray Head playing "The American".

One Night in Bangkok actually was a big hit in the US.   Number 3 on the singles chart. 

43 minutes ago, alleybj said:

One Night in Bangkok actually was a big hit in the US.   Number 3 on the singles chart. 

😁

1 hour ago, alleybj said:

When it became a hit in the US and around the world, it hadn't yet been produced as a musical.  It started out life as a concept album (which was a common path for other Tim Rice projects, like Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita).

I have the original album and the OBC recording, after it became a musical.  The original is better, IMO, as the underlying story changed quite a bit when it came to the US.

• Like 1