Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie songs you like that you think deserve to be more popular.


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 8:32 PM, slaytonf said:

 The first is from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968).  It comes at the end of the movie and is called "Doll on a Music Box."  Sung by Sally Ann Howes, it's a lovely, lilting, simple song, yet quite affecting

Another song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that I love is "Chu-Chi Face"  ---- where the Baron and the Baroness expound on their mutual  (:))  affection.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

“I’m Gonna Live Til I Die” performed by Julie Wilson in This Could Be the Night. Very catchy but I don’t recall it from my youth. Queen Latifah did a couple of albums of jazz & pop standards in the early 2000’s and covered this song. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

“I’m Gonna Live Til I Die” performed by Julie Wilson in This Could Be the Night. Very catchy but I don’t recall it from my youth. Queen Latifah did a couple of albums of jazz & pop standards in the early 2000’s and covered this song. 

The song has become a minor standard, with a number of covers, including Sarah Vaughn, Frank Sinatra, and Keely Smith. But that shouldn't keep it from becoming even better known!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I had a good evening with a couple of my friends, more country bumpkin than myself.  I started singing this song from memory.  Then I looked it up later.  Never mind this isn't my usual listening fare. I "remembered" some different lyrics though.  A bit more silly and with a bit more swing (basically the opposite of the "Nashville sound"), and better in time with the music.  Mandella effect??  Maybe I performed this on stage with a group at some time as a gag.  Either way, very good.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one I would've thought everyone by now would be familiar with because it has become somewhat of a staple during Halloween celebrations over the years and similarly to how Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' has become. 

And yet it still seems I run across a lot of people who aren't familiar with the following song which was featured in the 1986 comedy Back to School starring Rodney Dangerfield. It seems the recording was primarily only a mild hit out west at the time of its initial release and where Danny Elfman formed the L.A.-based band Oingo Boingo.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"It's Getting Harder All The Time" by The Mindbenders, from To Sir With Love (1967), it such a catchy 1960s English pop group song, I was surprised it wasn't a hit single, like the title song.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tangerine is a song written by  Victor Schertzinger, the lyrics by Johnny Mercer.[1]    Schertzinger was a director and wrote the song for his last film The Fleet is In (1941)  This is a fine film with Dorthey Lamour,  William Holden and introducing Betty Hutton.       Schertzinger also wrote the song I Remember You for the film.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is I Remember You done by Chet Baker.     

 

Great cover by a great performer.  Can't remember what movie it was in. . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed earlier there was a Ray Stevens song from CANNONBALL RUN mentioned; I remember that song very well and liked it from the movie.  I also liked the Lou Rawls song . . . except I can't remember the name of it offhand.  Might be called LOVE IS ON THE RADIO; whatever it's called I liked it a lot along with the Stevens song. 

I admit I don't know how to do 'links' to YouTube but the instrumental theme song from the 1980 Neil Simon comedy SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES by Marvin Hamlisch I can listen to over and over again.  It's only a little over 2 minutes.  I don't think there's actually a title for that piece of music; it's just the "SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES Theme".  → If I could have found that recording on a 45' rpm record I'd have bought it.

Then there's a song by the late VALERIE CARTER sung over the opening of the 1975 trucking movie WHITE LINE FEVER.  It's called "Drifting and Dreaming" and does not appear to have been released as a 'single' or I'd have bought that, too.  But it's mighty (((catchy)))!  :) 

(Lou Rawls also sings on the soundtracks to WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH (1974) (song title:  "Who Can Tell Us Why") and THE SPECIALIST (1975)). 

ALSO:  I dig the theme song by "The Jeff Alan Band" for the 1983 movie LOSIN' IT.   Highly recommended listening. 

So are some songs from the 1982 comedy "ZAPPED!".   I bought 2 copies of the LP soundtrack from "Zapped!" on Regency Records.  The prom song "King and Queen of Hearts" caught my ear way back when I first saw it in the movie.  Remembered it for years after.  I like the other songs, too, but that one was the 'motivator' for me to seek out the soundtrack for "Zapped!". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is I Remember You done by Chet Baker.     

 

And then of course, the biggest hit recording of 'I Remember You' was done by Australian singer Frank Ifield in a yodeling country music style and was released in 1962. It made it all the way to No.5 on the Top 40 Pop chart.

(...I always liked that recording...beautiful song)

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I admit I don't know how to do 'links' to YouTube

All you should have to do is copy the address of the video in the top bar of the browser window and paste it in the text of the post.  It will automatically show up as a link that you see in other posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I noticed earlier there was a Ray Stevens song from CANNONBALL RUN mentioned; I remember that song very well and liked it from the movie.  I also liked the Lou Rawls song . . . except I can't remember the name of it offhand.  Might be called LOVE IS ON THE RADIO; whatever it's called I liked it a lot along with the Stevens song. 

I admit I don't know how to do 'links' to YouTube but the instrumental theme song from the 1980 Neil Simon comedy SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES by Marvin Hamlisch I can listen to over and over again.  It's only a little over 2 minutes.  I don't think there's actually a title for that piece of music; it's just the "SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES Theme".  → If I could have found that recording on a 45' rpm record I'd have bought it.

Then there's a song by the late VALERIE CARTER sung over the opening of the 1975 trucking movie WHITE LINE FEVER.  It's called "Drifting and Dreaming" and does not appear to have been released as a 'single' or I'd have bought that, too.  But it's mighty (((catchy)))!  :) 

(Lou Rawls also sings on the soundtracks to WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH (1974) (song title:  "Who Can Tell Us Why") and THE SPECIALIST (1975)). 

ALSO:  I dig the theme song by "The Jeff Alan Band" for the 1983 movie LOSIN' IT.   Highly recommended listening. 

So are some songs from the 1982 comedy "ZAPPED!".   I bought 2 copies of the LP soundtrack from "Zapped!" on Regency Records.  The prom song "King and Queen of Hearts" caught my ear way back when I first saw it in the movie.  Remembered it for years after.  I like the other songs, too, but that one was the 'motivator' for me to seek out the soundtrack for "Zapped!". 

If you liked that, Ray Stevens also did the vocals for the opening theme of Cannonball Run.

Here is the Lou Rawls song.

 

Finally, here is the main instrumental track from the movie, which also sets the mood and I think is worth noting.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Great cover by a great performer.  Can't remember what movie it was in. . . .

With regards to I Remember You:  Here is what I wrote above: Schertzinger was a director and wrote the song (Tangerine) for his last film The Fleet is In (1941)  This is a fine film with Dorthey Lamour,  William Holden and introducing Betty Hutton.       Schertzinger also wrote the song I Remember You for the film.

Thus Schertzinger wrote two songs that are now jazz standards,  Tangerine and I Remember You,   while directing his last film The Fleet is In.  He died shortly after the release of the film.

Hutton really shines in this film.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I may have missed it, but I don’t think anyone has mentioned “The Sweetheart Tree” by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer.  It was written for The Great Race, where it was “sung” by Natalie Wood, although her voice was dubbed by another singer.   It has a lovely melody.  Johnny Mercer himself made a very nice recording of it.

 

Edited by BingFan
(Edited to add link to song.)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to I Remember You:  Here is what I wrote above

 

Sorry, thought only "Tangerine" was cited from the movie.  Thanks for the clarification!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From Watership down.  Oddly enough, this was apparently the most popular song in Britain in 1979, even though it's been superseded in popular memory by so many other songs:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...