Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Netflix - The Senior Tour for Stars?

Hoganman1

My wife and I watch a lot of Netflix shows. We just finished GRACE&FRANKIE and we're in season one of THE KOMINSKY METHOD. Both of these shows are really great. I think one reason we like them is they feature older actors portraying older people.  Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, Sam Waterson, Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin are all over 70. These shows are drama/comedies and deal with many of the everyday problems people our age face. In addition to the stars there are cameo appearances by many other older actors like Sam Elliott, Estelle Parsons, Rita Moreno, Elliot Gould, Ann Margaret, Danny Devito,, Kathleen Turner and many more.  It's been years since a lot of these stars have appeared on screen.  Maybe younger viewers won't find these shows as interesting as we do, but I hope the trend continues. 

• Like 2

I love The Kominsky Method. I find the show hilarious and I am what would be considered a younger viewer. Douglas and Arkin are delightful together. The writing is great and I love the surprise guest stars that pop up throughout the series. 

I have not watched Grace and Frankie, but I have heard of it. If it is similar to The Kominsky Method, then I am sure I would enjoy it.

The point of the OP is well taken. I think of large powerful streaming channels becoming the "studios" of the Millennia, funding productions. Seeing movie stars gravitate to work in streaming channel productions is akin to movie stars migrating onto early TV shows in the 60's.

People need to work.

We have Netflix but don't watch anything on it, it's MrTiki's channel. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

The point of the OP is well taken. I think of large powerful streaming channels becoming the "studios" of the Millennia, funding productions. Seeing movie stars gravitate to work in streaming channel productions is akin to movie stars migrating onto early TV shows in the 60's.

Or the made-for-TV movies of the 70s and 80s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 5:23 AM, Polly of the Precodes said:

Yeah, it used to be TV that was the senior tour.  TV and disaster movies.  I think I posted this before but a while back I went through the complete run of "Columbo" and it was a hoot how many studio era A-listers popped up: Myrna Loy, Ida Lupino, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Payne, Lew Ayres, Anne Baxter, Ray Milland.

• Like 1

Now as far as studio-era celebrities in disaster movies go...the "Airport" series had Van Heflin, Helen Hayes, Dean Martin, Gloria Swanson, Myrna Loy, Martha Scott, Alain Delon (ok, that's pushing the definition of "studio era"), James Stewart, Joseph Cotten, and Olivia de Havilland.  Legendary turkey "The Swarm" had de Havilland, Fred MacMurray, and Henry Fonda.  Ava Gardner was in "Earthquake".  Fred Astaire and Jennifer Jones in "The Towering Inferno".  "When Time Ran Out", which was such a bomb that it helped kill the genre for a while, had poor drunk William Holden.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, Polly of the Precodes said:

Isn't it a shame how the television movies and miniseries that were so popular have become difficult to find now?  

Imagine how wonderful it would be to see a miniseries like Captains and the Kings or Centennial shown again on television.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings