Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2021 Summer Under the Stars?

17 hours ago, Phil Packer said:

For me, it would be Vivien Leigh and Gregory Peck. Oh, and Katherine Ross.

Katharine Ross is a different choice. She was certainly in a lot of classics.

• Like 2

Sessue Hayakawa

John Qualen
Eleanor Powell

How about a week of Janes, week of Johns, week of Roberts, etc...

What I really appreciate about all of these suggestions from everyone is how obvious it is that we all really want to see more than just the "obvious" stars. We might all be a little more sophisticated than the credit we're given.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

What I really appreciate about all of these suggestions from everyone is how obvious it is that we all really want to see more than just the "obvious" stars. We might all be a little more sophisticated than the credit we're given.

I don't mind the 'obvious ones' if they can bring in rarely seen films for these people.

Like if they select Bette Davis, why not include her film debut for a change-- BAD SISTER (1931) is a very good Universal precode.

• Like 5

Since Backlot is kaput, I assume there won't be any backlot choices? (or chosen for them to choose?)

22 hours ago, Hibi said:

Since Backlot is kaput, I assume there won't be any backlot choices? (or chosen for them to choose?)

Yes, that seems to be finished.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:09 PM, LsDoorMat said:

I'd really like to see Lilyan Tashman honored. She didn't have a very long career since she died of cancer in 1934 at age 37. She also often played supporting roles. But she was one of the few who made a successful transition from silent to sound film. Unfortunately many of her silent films are lost, and her sound films are unrestored.  So I know this is just a pipe dream. 

I wish TCM could at least have one evening dedicated to her. They could showcase three of her films. Although mostly forgotten now she was quite popular during her day.

• Like 1
On 5/21/2021 at 12:05 PM, TopBilled said:

I don't mind the 'obvious ones' if they can bring in rarely seen films for these people.

Like if they select Bette Davis, why not include her film debut for a change-- BAD SISTER (1931) is a very good Universal precode.

Or Spencer Tracy. He made several films for Fox between 1931-1935 and they all survive. Instead of showing his same old films why not feature at least one or two Fox films?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Or Spencer Tracy. He made several films for Fox between 1931-1935 and they all survive. Instead of showing his same old films why not feature at least one or two Fox films?

MoMA just made a 4K scan of Quick Millions (1931), so if the rights could be sorted out that would be perfect programming. And I wish TCM could get Disorderly Conduct (1932)--after seeing that at Capitolfest I want to show it to noir aficionados.

• Like 2

I would love to see the following stars honoured this year:

1) Ward Bond- Character actor in so many great films(It Happened One Night, Gone With the Wind). TCM would have a plethora of films to choose from.

2) Lucile Watson- Another interesting Canadian (yayy) actor.

3)  Gloria Grahame

4) Joan Crawford( my favourite next to the incomparable Barbara Stanwyck)

5) Robert Mitchum

6) Vivien Leigh

7) Sidney Poitier

8)Irene Dunne

9) Deborah Kerr

I also agree that it would be nice to see some lesser known films from some of the bigger stars in lieu of "some"of their more popular films.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Polly6310 said:

Paulette Goddard. They haven't done her since 2011.

Yes, she made a lot of good films at Paramount in the 1940s. Many of them never air on TCM.

8 hours ago, ashjh18 said:

I would love to see the following stars honoured this year:

1) Ward Bond- Character actor in so many great films(It Happened One Night, Gone With the Wind). TCM would have a plethora of films to choose from.

2) Lucile Watson- Another interesting Canadian (yayy) actor.

3)  Gloria Grahame

4) Joan Crawford( my favourite next to the incomparable Barbara Stanwyck)

5) Robert Mitchum

6) Vivien Leigh

7) Sidney Poitier

8)Irene Dunne

9) Deborah Kerr

I also agree that it would be nice to see some lesser known films from some of the bigger stars in lieu of "some"of their more popular films.

Ward Bond definitely.

7 hours ago, skimpole said:

Christopher Plummer

They've never aired THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It's probably too expensive to lease the rights.

Probably a primetime spotlight with STAGE STRUCK and WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES (both in the Turner library) is what they'd do.

27 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

They've never aired THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It's probably too expensive to lease the rights.

Probably a primetime spotlight with STAGE STRUCK and WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES (both in the Turner library) is what they'd do.

TSOM is on Disney+, so it's very unlikely you'll ever see it on TCM, unless Warner/Discovery and Disney merge...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

TSOM is on Disney+, so it's very unlikely you'll ever see it on TCM, unless Warner/Discovery and Disney merge...

If/when they ever make Julie Andrews Star of the Month, it will be a gaping hole in the schedule if they can't show MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

If/when they ever make Julie Andrews Star of the Month, it will be a gaping hole in the schedule if they can't show MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

True.

OTOH, both have been shown at the TCM Film Festival.  The Sound Of Music was the opening night presentation a few years ago, with both Ms. Andrews and Christopher Plummer there.  But the rights for the TCMFF are negotiated separately from the broadcast rights.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

True.

OTOH, both have been shown at the TCM Film Festival.  The Sound Of Music was the opening night presentation a few years ago, with both Ms. Andrews and Christopher Plummer there.  But the rights for the TCMFF are negotiated separately from the broadcast rights.

Yes, that is what I thought.

I’d be happy with something like this...

1.  Joan Blondell

2.  Victor Mature

3.  Sean Connery

4.  Jean Simmons

5.  John Garfield

6.  Alida Valli

7.  James Cagney

8.  Ella Raines

9.  Richard Widmark

10. Joan Bennett

11. Arthur Kennedy

12. Robert Ryan 

13. Clara Bow

14. Deborah Kerr

15. Richard Conte

16. Kim Novak

17. Yves Montand 

18. Kay Francis

19. Juano Hernandez

20. Janet Leigh

21. Dick Powell

22. Gail Russell

23. Paul Newman

24. Linda Darnell

25. George Segal

26. Jennifer Jones

27. Jane Wyman

28. Jack Carson

29. Kathryn Grayson

30. John Payne

31. Marlene Dietrich 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, chinaseas said:

I would like to see Jean Harlow, Linda Darnell ,Barbara  La Marr, Kay Francis,  Barbara Stanwyck,  Olivia de Havilland and Ann Sheridan.

They are showing several of de Haviland's films for her birthday, July 1, this year. Or course, they did give her a SUTS day last year, bumping initial choice Bette Davis.

14 hours ago, chinaseas said:

I would like to see Jean Harlow, Linda Darnell ,Barbara  La Marr, Kay Francis,  Barbara Stanwyck,  Olivia de Havilland and Ann Sheridan.

Eli Wallach, Charles Bronson, Ann Margret, Lon Chaney, Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Marie Dressler, Janet Leigh, Claudia Cardinale. Loved that they did Diana Dors last year!

• Like 2

Something for down the road, my idea for August 2023's Summer Under the Stars:

1.   Greta Garbo   (mostly her silent films, with only three to five of her talkie films - and perhaps TCM's documentary about her)

2.   Ronald Reagan

3.   Sara Allgood

4.   Van Heflin

5.   Mercedes McCambridge

6.   Oliver Reed

7.   Vivian Blaine

8.   Bruce Bennett

9.   Lizabeth Scott

10.  Juano Hernandez

11.  Tuesday Weld

12.  Hattie McDaniel

13.  Sam Wanamaker