Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2021 Summer Under the Stars?

11 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

Something for down the road, my idea for August 2023's Summer Under the Stars:

1.   Greta Garbo   (mostly her silent films, with only three to five of her talkie films - and perhaps TCM's documentary about her)

2.   Ronald Reagan

3.   Sara Allgood

4.   Van Heflin

5.   Mercedes McCambridge

6.   Oliver Reed

7.   Vivian Blaine

8.   Bruce Bennett

9.   Lizabeth Scott

10.  Juano Hernandez

11.  Tuesday Weld

12.  Hattie McDaniel

13.  Sam Wanamaker

14.  Bonita Granville

15.  Michael Rennie

16.  Shirley Knight

17.  Johnny Weissmuller

18.  Alan Bates

19.  Dorothy Patrick

20.  Omar Sharif

21.  Barry Sullivan

22.  Martha Scott

23.  Lloyd Nolan

24.  Juanita Moore

25.  Julie Andrews

26.  Rossano Brazzi

27.  Danielle Darrieux

28.  Tyrone Power

29.  Romy Schneider

30.  Don Ameche

31.  Irene Dunne

Tuesday Weld is a good selection but probably not enough of a household name for TCM's programming department to promote. I think she did have a primetime spotlight a few years ago..

Rossano Brazzi gets my vote. A star in Hollywood and Europe.

I found my list:

John Kerr

Jack Carson - My goodness, he had some amazing roles and I've become a huge admirer of how he got around. Mildred Pierce, A Star is Born, with Judy Garland, The Strawberry Blonde, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, missed him in Arsenic and Old Lace yesterday, Dangerous When Wet,  and Destry  Rides Again.

Ward Bond - Why haven't they done Ward Bond? Maybe I missed him, but he's another one that has a great many roles throughout the 30's, 40's, 50's  and on Wagon Train. No Oscar for him either. - The Quiet Man, Mr. Roberts, Gone With the Wind, The Searchers, Fort Apache, The Were Expendable, 3 Godfathers, Rio Bravo, Drums Along the Mohawk, Sergeant York, The Maltese Falcon, The Grapes of Wrath, Gentlemen Jim, A Guy Named Joe, and I'll stop there.

Eve Arden - Mildred Pierce, Anatomy of a Murder, Grease, and countless other roles.

Betty Field

Robert Redford

Peter Lawford

Gene Hackman

Dead End Kids

Lloyd Nolan

Leon Ames - Meet Me in St. Louis, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Peyton Place, From the Terrace, Little Women, 1949

Arthur Kennedy - Just saw him in They Died with their Boots On, City for Conquest, Peyton Place, A Summer Place, Elmer Gantry, Rancho Notorious, Th e Window, Some Came Running

Donald Crisp - National Velvet, How Green Was My Valley, Jezebel, The Uninvited, The Old Maid, The Private Life of Elizabeth and Essex, Wuthering Heights,  the Sea Hawks, 1940, Valley of Decision,  The Mutiny on the Bounty, 1935, 

Novelty Acts as Stars of the Month: The Nicholas Brothers, the Andrew Sisters, Jose Iturbi, Lena Horne,  Marge and Gower Champion.

Steve Reeves - The only Hercules

Gina Lollabrigida

Marjorie Main - - Summer Stock, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Harvey Girls, Ma and Pa Kettle, The Women, 1939, Stella Dallas, A Woman's Face, **** Tonk, and Undercurrent

Joanne Dru 

Sabu

Judith Anderson - Rebecca, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Laura, The Ten Commandments, 1956, Cinderfella, The Strange Loves of Martha ivers, Lady Scarface, Kings Row, and Northern Pursuit.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oneeyeopen said:

I found my list:

John Kerr

Jack Carson - My goodness, he had some amazing roles and I've become a huge admirer of how he got around. Mildred Pierce, A Star is Born, with Judy Garland, The Strawberry Blonde, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, missed him in Arsenic and Old Lace yesterday, Dangerous When Wet,  and Destry  Rides Again.

Ward Bond - Why haven't they done Ward Bond? Maybe I missed him, but he's another one that has a great many roles throughout the 30's, 40's, 50's  and on Wagon Train. No Oscar for him either. - The Quiet Man, Mr. Roberts, Gone With the Wind, The Searchers, Fort Apache, The Were Expendable, 3 Godfathers, Rio Bravo, Drums Along the Mohawk, Sergeant York, The Maltese Falcon, The Grapes of Wrath, Gentlemen Jim, A Guy Named Joe, and I'll stop there.

Eve Arden - Mildred Pierce, Anatomy of a Murder, Grease, and countless other roles.

Betty Field

Robert Redford

Peter Lawford

Gene Hackman

Dead End Kids

Lloyd Nolan

Leon Ames - Meet Me in St. Louis, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Peyton Place, From the Terrace, Little Women, 1949

Arthur Kennedy - Just saw him in They Died with their Boots On, City for Conquest, Peyton Place, A Summer Place, Elmer Gantry, Rancho Notorious, Th e Window, Some Came Running

Donald Crisp - National Velvet, How Green Was My Valley, Jezebel, The Uninvited, The Old Maid, The Private Life of Elizabeth and Essex, Wuthering Heights,  the Sea Hawks, 1940, Valley of Decision,  The Mutiny on the Bounty, 1935, 

Novelty Acts as Stars of the Month: The Nicholas Brothers, the Andrew Sisters, Jose Iturbi, Lena Horne,  Marge and Gower Champion.

Steve Reeves - The only Hercules

Gina Lollabrigida

Marjorie Main - - Summer Stock, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Harvey Girls, Ma and Pa Kettle, The Women, 1939, Stella Dallas, A Woman's Face, **** Tonk, and Undercurrent

Joanne Dru 

Sabu

Judith Anderson - Rebecca, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Laura, The Ten Commandments, 1956, Cinderfella, The Strange Loves of Martha ivers, Lady Scarface, Kings Row, and Northern Pursuit.

I like how you included Sabu and Betty Field. Actually you have a lot of eclectic choices here, good choices.

I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts and preferences on this topic.  And thank you so much for listing past honorees!  I have a list of 14 that I would love to see and if only one of them showed up that would still be awesome.  Some may be far-fetched and 2 silent stars in one year may be too bold.  Also, I noted a lot of overlap with some of these actors' films which may or may not have been intentional.  My list is below, along with film roles I would love to see and years they were honored in the past (I may have missed some so I apologize):

1.  Anthony Hopkins - "The Lion in Winter" 1968, "The Elephant Man" 1980, "Nixon" 1995.

2.  Meryl Streep - "The Deer Hunter" 1978, "Silkwood" 1983, "Adaptation" 2002.

3.  Oliver Reed - "Oliver!" 1968, "Women in Love" 1969, "Tommy" 1975, "Dr. Heckyl & Mr. Hype" 1980.

4.  James Mason (Honored 2009, 2012) - "Hotel Reserve" 1944, "Julius Caesar" 1953, "The Pumpkin Eater" 1964, "The Last of Sheila" 1973, "The Assisi Underground" 1985.

5.  Sally Kellerman - "M*A*S*H*" 1970, "Lost Horizon" (musical) 1973, "A Little Romance" 1977,  "The Lay of the Land" 1987.

6.  Martin Landau - "North by Northwest" 1959, "Crimes and Misdemeanors" 1989, "Ed Wood" 1994, "Remember" 2015.

7.  Shelley Duvall - "Brewster McCloud" 1970, "3 Women" 1977, "The Shining" 1980, "Popeye" 1980.

8.  Jack Nicholson - "The Raven" 1963, "Easy Rider" 1969, "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" 1970, "Terms of Endearment" 1983, "Batman" 1989, "A Few Good Men" 1992.

9.  Peter Finch (Honored 2018) - "Elephant Walk" 1954, "The Nun's Story" 1959, "The Trials of Oscar Wilde" 1960, The Legend of Lylah Clare" 1968, "Network" 1976.

10. Michael York - "Romeo and Juliet" 1968, "Something for Everyone" 1970, "Zeppelin" 1971, "Cabaret" 1972, "The Three Musketeers" 1973, "Logan's Run" 1976.

11. Charlie Chaplin (Honored 2004, 2008, 2014, 2020) - Most of his features and many short films.

12. Lon Chaney (Honored 2011, 2017)

13. Thelma Todd (Honored 2010) -  So many hilarious shorts!

14. Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy (Honored 2008) - Silent shorts up to "talkie" shorts up to feature films (December 2020 was awesome but I missed so much of the lineup, unfortunately).

A few more brilliant standards, plus a shocking revelation to me:  Groucho Marx, Lee J. Cobb, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Angela Lansbury, Olivia de Haviland, Patricia Neal,...... and Richard Burton!  Did I miss it?  Has he never been honored with a day on Summer Under the Stars?!

Thank you so much for your time reading this post.  I would be honored if any of these individuals were considered because I happened to write this.  I realize it may be difficult to find 24 hours of leading material for some of these stars (Streep, Kellerman, Duvall), but many of the movies I mentioned of theirs overlap with some of the other stars.

Again, thank you for your time to any of my readers, and I can't wait to see who makes the cut this year!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joseph Waldron said:

I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts and preferences on this topic.  And thank you so much for listing past honorees!  I have a list of 14 that I would love to see and if only one of them showed up that would still be awesome.  Some may be far-fetched and 2 silent stars in one year may be too bold.  Also, I noted a lot of overlap with some of these actors' films which may or may not have been intentional.  My list is below, along with film roles I would love to see and years they were honored in the past (I may have missed some so I apologize):

1.  Anthony Hopkins - "The Lion in Winter" 1968, "The Elephant Man" 1980, "Nixon" 1995.

2.  Meryl Streep - "The Deer Hunter" 1978, "Silkwood" 1983, "Adaptation" 2002.

3.  Oliver Reed - "Oliver!" 1968, "Women in Love" 1969, "Tommy" 1975, "Dr. Heckyl & Mr. Hype" 1980.

4.  James Mason (Honored 2009, 2012) - "Hotel Reserve" 1944, "Julius Caesar" 1953, "The Pumpkin Eater" 1964, "The Last of Sheila" 1973, "The Assisi Underground" 1985.

5.  Sally Kellerman - "M*A*S*H*" 1970, "Lost Horizon" (musical) 1973, "A Little Romance" 1977,  "The Lay of the Land" 1987.

6.  Martin Landau - "North by Northwest" 1959, "Crimes and Misdemeanors" 1989, "Ed Wood" 1994, "Remember" 2015.

7.  Shelley Duvall - "Brewster McCloud" 1970, "3 Women" 1977, "The Shining" 1980, "Popeye" 1980.

8.  Jack Nicholson - "The Raven" 1963, "Easy Rider" 1969, "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" 1970, "Terms of Endearment" 1983, "Batman" 1989, "A Few Good Men" 1992.

9.  Peter Finch (Honored 2018) - "Elephant Walk" 1954, "The Nun's Story" 1959, "The Trials of Oscar Wilde" 1960, The Legend of Lylah Clare" 1968, "Network" 1976.

10. Michael York - "Romeo and Juliet" 1968, "Something for Everyone" 1970, "Zeppelin" 1971, "Cabaret" 1972, "The Three Musketeers" 1973, "Logan's Run" 1976.

11. Charlie Chaplin (Honored 2004, 2008, 2014, 2020) - Most of his features and many short films.

12. Lon Chaney (Honored 2011, 2017)

13. Thelma Todd (Honored 2010) -  So many hilarious shorts!

14. Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy (Honored 2008) - Silent shorts up to "talkie" shorts up to feature films (December 2020 was awesome but I missed so much of the lineup, unfortunately).

A few more brilliant standards, plus a shocking revelation to me:  Groucho Marx, Lee J. Cobb, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Angela Lansbury, Olivia de Haviland, Patricia Neal,...... and Richard Burton!  Did I miss it?  Has he never been honored with a day on Summer Under the Stars?!

Thank you so much for your time reading this post.  I would be honored if any of these individuals were considered because I happened to write this.  I realize it may be difficult to find 24 hours of leading material for some of these stars (Streep, Kellerman, Duvall), but many of the movies I mentioned of theirs overlap with some of the other stars.

Again, thank you for your time to any of my readers, and I can't wait to see who makes the cut this year!

Interesting suggestions. I am definitely in favor of Michael York and Peter Finch.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting suggestions. I am definitely in favor of Michael York and Peter Finch.

Thank you!  There is definitely 24 hours of material for both of them.  And I listed "Lost Horizon" (1973) under Sally Kellerman but both Finch and York were in that film also.  I look forward to the selections.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Joseph Waldron said:

Thank you!  There is definitely 24 hours of material for both of them.  And I listed "Lost Horizon" (1973) under Sally Kellerman but both Finch and York were in that film also.  I look forward to the selections.

I was just thinking about Sally Kellerman a few nights ago. Fine actress.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I was just thinking about Sally Kellerman a few nights ago. Fine actress.

She is wonderful!  Someone mentioned earlier that they wanted to see "New Hollywood" actors.  I think that is why Kellerman, York, Nicholson, Duvall were all on my list.  Martin Landau's career spanned so many years and the same with Peter Finch (who we lost far too soon). 

1 minute ago, Joseph Waldron said:

She is wonderful!  Someone mentioned earlier that they wanted to see "New Hollywood" actors.  I think that is why Kellerman, York, Nicholson, Duvall were all on my list.  Martin Landau's career spanned so many years and the same with Peter Finch (who we lost far too soon). 

I studied at the Actors Studio for awhile. Martin Landau and his ex-wife Barbara Bain were our instructors.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I studied at the Actors Studio for awhile. Martin Landau and his ex-wife Barbara Bain were our instructors.

Oh wow!  What an honor!  He is amazing.  Of course "North By Northwest" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors" are his seminal roles (in my opinion), but he had excellent roles in The Twilight Zone ("Mr. Denton on Doomsday" and "The Jeopardy Room") and plenty of voice credits later in his career.  Not to mention everything in between..... 

• Like 1

Lineups I would choose for the suggested stars.

Jane Wyatt

Edit: editing to include the number of times each film has actually aired on TCM.

Girl from God's Country (Republic, 1940) - At first, the latest nurse (Wyatt) to a young doctor in Alaska (Chester Morris) appears destined to follow the path of her predecessors and quickly abandon the frigid winters, desolate landscape and surly disposition of her employer, but after she witnesses the level of his devotion to his profession, she decides to stay. TCM Airings: 0

The Kansan (United Artists, 1943) - A cowboy wounded while stopping the James Gang from robbing a bank (Richard Dix) wakes up in the hospital to find he's been elected town marshal. He soon comes into conflict with the town banker (Albert Dekker), who controls everything in the town and is squeezing the townspeople for every cent he can get out of them. From the poster, it looks like Wyatt plays a showgirl who becomes Dix's love interest. TCM Airings: 4

Buckskin Frontier (United Artists, 1943) - A railroad man (Richard Dix) and the owner of a freight line (Albert Dekker) battle for control of a crucial mountain pass. It's Dix vs. Dekker again, and Wyatt I assume is once again Dix's love interest and also Lee J. Cobb's daughter although she was in real life one year older than Cobb.  TCM Airings: 0

None But the Lonely Heart (RKO, 1944) - When an itinerant son (Cary Grant) returns home to help his sickly mother (Ethel Barrymore) run her shop, they both are tempted to turn to crime to help make ends meet. Wyatt is a cello-playing girl from across the street who loves Grant and patiently waits for him to become a better man. TCM Airings: 48

Strange Conquest (Universal, 1946) - Two doctors (Lowell Gilmore, Peter Cookson) try to find the cure for a fatal disease, while battling each other for the affection of a beautiful woman doctor (Wyatt). TCM Airings: 0

Pitfall (United Artists, 1948) - A married insurance adjuster (Dick Powell) falls for a femme fatale (Lizabeth Scott) while her boyfriend (Raymond Burr) is in jail, and all suffer serious consequences as a result. Looks like Wyatt plays Powell's wronged wife. TCM Airings: 13

My Blue Heaven (20th Century Fox, 1950) - A married  song and dance team (Betty Grable and Dan Dailey) can't have children. They try to adopt, then to keep the children they adopt as they continue to work on their television show. There's an already married secondary couple who looks on and provides support played by Wyatt and David Wayne. TCM Airings: 4

Our Very Own (RKO, 1950) - A woman (Ann Blyth) discovers she's adopted after a heated argument with her sister (Joan Evans), and with the reluctant support of her adoptive parents (Donald Cook, Wyatt) and her baby sister (Natalie Wood), she goes in search of her biological mother and true identity. TCM Airings: 11

The Man Who Cheated Himself (20th Century Fox, 1950) - A veteran homicide detective (Lee J. Cobb) who witnesses his socialite mistress (Wyatt) kill her husband (Harlan Wade) sees his inexperienced brother (John Dall) assigned to the case. TCM Airings: 5

Criminal Lawyer (Columbia, 1951) - Two alcoholic lawyers (Pat O'Brien, Carl Reid) sober up to defend a friend (Robert Shayne) in a murder case. Wyatt plays a member of O'Brien's staff and I think a potential love interest. TCM Airings: 1

Treasure of Matecumbe (Disney, 1976) - In 1869 Kentucky, a young boy (Johnny Doran) and his friends set out to find a treasure chest hidden by his late father in the Florida Everglades during the Civil War. Wyatt plays one of the boy's two aunts, along with Virginia Vincent. TCM Airings: 1

Star Trek IV: the Voyage Home (Paramount, 1986) - To prevent Earth from falling prey to alien probe, Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew must travel back in time to San Francisco in 1986 to collect the only beings that can communicate with it: humpback whales. In her final film role, Wyatt plays the mother of Spock (Leonard Nimoy), a role taken on by Winona Ryder in more recent films. TCM Airings: 0

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Lineups I would choose for the suggested stars.

Jane Wyatt

Girl from God's Country (Republic, 1940) - At first, the latest nurse (Wyatt) to a young doctor in Alaska (Chester Morris) appears destined to follow the path of her predecessors and quickly abandon the frigid winters, desolate landscape and surly disposition of her employer, but after she witnesses the level of his devotion to his profession, she decides to stay.

The Kansan (United Artists, 1943) - A cowboy wounded while stopping the James Gang from robbing a bank (Richard Dix) wakes up in the hospital to find he's been elected town marshal. He soon comes into conflict with the town banker (Albert Dekker), who controls everything in the town and is squeezing the townspeople for every cent he can get out of them. From the poster, it looks like Wyatt plays a showgirl who becomes Dix's love interest.

Buckskin Frontier (United Artists, 1943) - A railroad man (Richard Dix) and the owner of a freight line (Albert Dekker) battle for control of a crucial mountain pass. It's Dix vs. Dekker again, and Wyatt I assume is once again Dix's love interest and also Lee J. Cobb's daughter although she was in real life one year older than Cobb.

None But the Lonely Heart (RKO, 1944) - When an itinerant son (Cary Grant) returns home to help his sickly mother (Ethel Barrymore) run her shop, they both are tempted to turn to crime to help make ends meet. Wyatt is a cello-playing girl from across the street who loves Grant and patiently waits for him to become a better man. 

Strange Conquest (Universal, 1946) - Two doctors (Lowell Gilmore, Peter Cookson) try to find the cure for a fatal disease, while battling each other for the affection of a beautiful woman doctor (Wyatt).

Pitfall (United Artists, 1948) - A married insurance adjuster (Dick Powell) falls for a femme fatale (Lizabeth Scott) while her boyfriend (Raymond Burr) is in jail, and all suffer serious consequences as a result. Looks like Wyatt plays Powell's wronged wife.

My Blue Heaven (20th Century Fox, 1950) - A married  song and dance team (Betty Grable and Dan Dailey) can't have children. They try to adopt, then to keep the children they adopt as they continue to work on their television show. There's an already married secondary couple who looks on and provides support played by Wyatt and David Wayne. 

Our Very Own (RKO, 1950) - A woman (Ann Blyth) discovers she's adopted after a heated argument with her sister (Joan Evans), and with the reluctant support of her adoptive parents (Donald Cook, Wyatt) and her baby sister (Natalie Wood), she goes in search of her biological mother and true identity.

The Man Who Cheated Himself (20th Century Fox, 1950) - A veteran homicide detective (Lee J. Cobb) who witnesses his socialite mistress (Wyatt) kill her husband (Harlan Wade) sees his inexperienced brother (John Dall) assigned to the case.

Criminal Lawyer (Columbia, 1951) - Two alcoholic lawyers (Pat O'Brien, Carl Reid) sober up to defend a friend (Robert Shayne) in a murder case. Wyatt plays a member of O'Brien's staff and I think a potential love interest.

Treasure of Matecumbe (Disney, 1976) - In 1869 Kentucky, a young boy (Johnny Doran) and his friends set out to find a treasure chest hidden by his late father in the Florida Everglades during the Civil War. Wyatt plays one of the boy's two aunts, along with Virginia Vincent. 

Star Trek IV: the Voyage Home (Paramount, 1986) - To prevent Earth from falling prey to alien probe, Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew must travel back in time to San Francisco in 1986 to collect the only beings that can communicate with it: humpback whales. In her final film role, Wyatt plays the mother of Spock (Leonard Nimoy), a role taken on by Winona Ryder in more recent films.

Fantastic list. 

I've been binge watching St. Elsewhere lately on Hulu. Jane Wyatt has a recurring role as Katherine Auschlander. She's just wonderful as Norman Lloyd's wife. They should have had their own spinoff!

• Like 2

My Summer Under The Stars 2021 Choices

1. Ned Beatty (Deliverance ('72) )

2. Henry Fonda ( 12 Angry Men ('57))

3. Ava Gardner ( The Barefoot Contessa ('54))

4. Richard Burton ( Who's Afraid of  Virginia Woolf? ('66))

5. Deborah Kerr (An Affair to Remember ('57))

6. Meryl Streep (Sophie's Choice ('82))

7. Errol Flynn (The Adventures of Robin Hood ('38))

8. Spencer Tracy (Father Of The Bride ('50))

9. Jack Lemmon (The Odd Couple ('68))

10. Melvyn Douglas (Hud ('63))

11. Lillian Gish (Way Down East ('20))

12. Ann Sothern  (A Letter to Three Wives ('49))

13. Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs ('91))

14. Robert Ryan (Crossfire ('47))

15. Hedy Lamar (Algiers ('38))

16. Cornel Wilde (The Big Combo ('55))

17. Greer Garson (Mrs Miniver ('42))

18. John Wayne (True Grit ('69))

19. Maryln Monroe (The Seven Year Itch ('55))

20. Eli Wallach (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly ('66))

21. Geraldine Page (Interiors ('78))

22. Jean Seberg (Breathless ('60))

23. Jack Nicholson (Five Easy Pieces ('70))

24. Jerry Lewis  (The Bellboy ('60))

25. Douglas Fairbanks (The Mark Of Zorro ('20))

26. Clara Bow (Wings ('27))

27. Peter Lorre (M ('31))

28. Toshiro Mifune (Yojimba ('61))

29. Lily Tomlin (Nashville ('75))

30. Mia Farrow (Rosemary's Baby ('68))

31. Ginger Rogers (Top Hat ('35))

• Like 2

Tyrone Power

Tom Brown of Culver (Universal, 1932) - A boy (the actor and the character are oddly both named Tom Brown) who thinks his father (H.B. Warner) was a war hero finds out he was a deserter. At 18, Power makes his film debut as Brown's fellow military academy student. TCM airings: 0

Flirtation Walk (Warner Bros., 1934) - A US Army private stationed in Hawaii (Dick Powell) gets involved with an engaged woman (Ruby Keeler) who's also the daughter of the general (Henry O'Neill). In order to avoid scandal, the pair decide to break up, but meet again years later at West Point in which he produces the annual play in which she happens to be the star. A 20-year-old Power has an uncredited role as a cadet. TCM airings: 35

Northern Frontier (Conn, 1935) - A mountie (Kermit Maynard) sets out to infiltrate and break up a gang of counterfieters. Power also plays a mountie. TCM Airings: 0

In Old Chicago (20th Century Fox, 1938) - The O'Leary Brothers - honest Jack (Don Ameche) and roguish Dion (Power) - become powers and eventually rivals in Chicago on the eve of the great fire. TCM airings: 2

Marie Antoinette (MGM, 1938) - The tragic life of the Austrian noblewoman (Norma Shearer) who became queen of France at the age of 15. On loan from Fox, Power plays a Swedish count who first makes Marie aware of her own fecklessness and becomes her lover after she's married. TCM airings: 70

Suez (20th Century Fox, 1938) - Ferdinand de Lesseps, a French aristocrat who's experienced disappointment in love (Power), is assigned to be a junior diplomat at the Isthmus of Suez and realizes it's just the place for a canal. TCM Airings: 2

Jesse James (20th Century Fox, 1939) - After railroad agents forcibly evict the James family from their farm, brothers Jesse (Power) and Frank (Henry Fonda) turn to banditry for revenge. TCM Airings: 3

A Yank in the R.A.F. (20th Century Fox, 1941) - An American pilot (Power) impulsively joins His Majesty's Royal Air Force in Britain in order to impress his ex-girlfriend (Betty Grable). TCM airings: 4

This Above All (20th Century Fox, 1942) - A beautiful woman from an aristocratic family (Joan Fontaine) defies convention by joining the Woman's Air Force and becoming romantically involved with an AWOL soldier (Power). TCM airings: 2

Son of Fury: the Story of Benjamin Blake (20th Century Fox, 1942) - Cheated out of his estate by his sadistic uncle (George Sanders), young aristocrat Benjamin Blake (Power) goes to the South Seas so he can make his fortune and claim his birthright. TCM airings: 1

Rawhide (20th Century Fox, 1951) - A stagecoach stop employee (Power) and a stranded female traveler (Susan Hayward) find themselves at the mercy of four desperate outlaws (Hugh Marlowe, Dean Jagger, Edgar Buchannan, Jack Elam) intent on robbing the next day's gold shipment. TCM airings: 4

I'll Never Forget You (20th Century Fox, 1951) - A scientist obsessed with the past (Power) invents a time machine and transports himself back in time to 1700s London where he romances a beautiful young woman (Ann Blyth). A poster on imdb says that this movie, like Berkeley Square, which is also adapted from the same novel, are tied up in rights hell with the estate of the novel's author, and as a result never air on Fox Movie Channel, let alone TCM. TCM airings: 0

Diplomatic Courier (20th Century Fox, 1952) - A US State Department courier (Power) tangles with Soviet agents and seductive women in post-World War II Europe. TCM Airings: 0

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Tyrone Power

Tom Brown of Culver (Universal, 1932) - A boy (the actor and the character are oddly both named Tom Brown) who thinks his father (H.B. Warner) was a war hero finds out he was a deserter. At 18, Power makes his film debut as Brown's fellow military academy student. TCM airings: 0

Flirtation Walk (Warner Bros., 1934) - A US Army private stationed in Hawaii (Dick Powell) gets involved with an engaged woman (Ruby Keeler) who's also the daughter of the general (Henry O'Neill). In order to avoid scandal, the pair decide to break up, but meet again years later at West Point in which he produces the annual play in which she happens to be the star. A 20-year-old Power has an uncredited role as a cadet. TCM airings: 35

Northern Frontier (Conn, 1935) - A mountie (Kermit Maynard) sets out to infiltrate and break up a gang of counterfieters. Power also plays a mountie. TCM Airings: 0

In Old Chicago (20th Century Fox, 1938) - The O'Leary Brothers - honest Jack (Don Ameche) and roguish Dion (Power) - become powers and eventually rivals in Chicago on the eve of the great fire. TCM airings: 2

Marie Antoinette (MGM, 1938) - The tragic life of the Austrian noblewoman (Norma Shearer) who became queen of France at the age of 15. On loan from Fox, Power plays a Swedish count who first makes Marie aware of her own fecklessness and becomes her lover after she's married. TCM airings: 70

Suez (20th Century Fox, 1938) - Ferdinand de Lesseps, a French aristocrat who's experienced disappointment in love (Power), is assigned to be a junior diplomat at the Isthmus of Suez and realizes it's just the place for a canal. TCM Airings: 2

Jesse James (20th Century Fox, 1939) - After railroad agents forcibly evict the James family from their farm, brothers Jesse (Power) and Frank (Henry Fonda) turn to banditry for revenge. TCM Airings: 3

A Yank in the R.A.F. (20th Century Fox, 1941) - An American pilot (Power) impulsively joins His Majesty's Royal Air Force in Britain in order to impress his ex-girlfriend (Betty Grable). TCM airings: 4

This Above All (20th Century Fox, 1942) - A beautiful woman from an aristocratic family (Joan Fontaine) defies convention by joining the Woman's Air Force and becoming romantically involved with an AWOL soldier (Power). TCM airings: 2

Son of Fury: the Story of Benjamin Blake (20th Century Fox, 1942) - Cheated out of his estate by his sadistic uncle (George Sanders), young aristocrat Benjamin Blake (Power) goes to the South Seas so he can make his fortune and claim his birthright. TCM airings: 1

Rawhide (20th Century Fox, 1951) - A stagecoach stop employee (Power) and a stranded female traveler (Susan Hayward) find themselves at the mercy of four desperate outlaws (Hugh Marlowe, Dean Jagger, Edgar Buchannan, Jack Elam) intent on robbing the next day's gold shipment. TCM airings: 4

I'll Never Forget You (20th Century Fox, 1951) - A scientist obsessed with the past (Power) invents a time machine and transports himself back in time to 1700s London where he romances a beautiful young woman (Ann Blyth). A poster on imdb says that this movie, like Berkeley Square, which is also adapted from the same novel, are tied up in rights hell with the estate of the novel's author, and as a result never air on Fox Movie Channel, let alone TCM. TCM airings: 0

Diplomatic Courier (20th Century Fox, 1952) - A US State Department courier (Power) tangles with Soviet agents and seductive women in post-World War II Europe. TCM Airings: 0

Excellent choices. His westerns are great-- JESSE JAMES, RAWHIDE and PONY SOLDIER (which you didn't mention).

I think I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU was released on DVD, because that's how I saw it.

• Like 2

Hedy Lamarr. Much underrated. Should be reconsidered as a fine actress. Would love for her to be Star of the Month as well. Never given enough credit.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Tracer said:

Hedy Lamarr. Much underrated. Should be reconsidered as a fine actress. Would love for her to be Star of the Month as well. Never given enough credit.

It would be nice to see SAMSON AND DELILAH (1949) on TCM. It hasn't aired in ages.

Linda Darnell

Brigham Young (20th Century Fox, 1940) - In 1844, after Mormon leader Joseph Smith (Vincent Price) is murdered by an angry mob in Illinois, the Mormons choose a new leader, Brigham Young (Dean Jagger), who leads them to a new promised land in Utah. Tyrone Power is top billed, although he doesn't play Young. He plays a young Mormon farmer, and the movie focuses on him during the Mormons' travels, and Darnell plays his sweetheart, who I think isn't a Mormon, at least to start with . TCM airings: 1 (in August 2011)

Blood and Sand (20th Century Fox, 1941) - An illiterate peasant (Tyrone Power) experiences a meteoric rise to fortune and fame in the bullfighting ring only to sow the seeds of his own fall. I think Rita Hayworth has gotten more attention in the intervening years as the sultry "other woman", but Darnell plays the noblewoman Power marries. TCM airings: 20

City Without Men (Columbia, 1943)A man (Edgar Buchannan) is sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit. In order to be near him and to help him try to clear his name, his young wife (Darnell) moves into a boardinghouse near the prison where all the residents are wives of inmates. TCM Airings: 0

Buffalo Bill (20th Century Fox, 1944) - Biopic of the legendary Westerner (Joel McCrea), from his start as an Army scout to his later days as the owner of a Wild West show. It's Maureen O'Hara who plays the woman who becomes Mrs. Buffalo Bill, but looks like Darnell also makes moves on him in a "culturally inappropriate" casting as a Native American maiden. TCM airings: 1 (in July 2014)

The Great John L. (United Artists, 1945) - A look at the women in the life of the prizefighter John L. Sullivan (Greg McClure). Darnell's entertainer is a complete work of fiction, according to more than one imdb poster. TCM airings: 0

Centennial Summer (20th Century Fox, 1946) - In 1876 Philadelphia, two sisters (Jeanne Crain, Darnell) compete for the affections of a Frenchman (Cornel Wilde) who's come to town to prepare the French Pavilion for the Centennial Exposition. TCM airings: 0.

The Walls of Jericho (20th Century Fox, 1948) - The district attorney of Jericho, Kansas (Cornel Wilde), helps a woman (Anne Baxter) with her shiftless father (Henry Hull). A few years later, the new wife (Darnell) of his best friend (Kirk Douglas) begins making a play for him, much to the displeasure of his hard-drinking wife (Anne Dvorak). Returning to private practice and eyeing a career in the senate, he takes on the case of a woman who killed in self-defense (Colleen Townsend) and the Baxter character returns to work with him. TCM airings:  0

Slattery's Hurricane (20th Century Fox, 1949) - I just watched this one on YouTube about six weeks ago at 4 am during a night of insomnia. Looks like it may have been  yanked since then. Sorry. A former World War II naval pilot now working for a Miami civilian company (Richard Widmark) reminisces about his past and present sins as he flies into a hurricane.  One of the present sins revolves around Darnell, a former lover from the war years, with whom Widmark becomes obsessed, even though she's now married to his friend (John Russell) and he himself is married (to Veronica Lake). TCM airings: 0

The 13th Letter (20th Century Fox, 1951) - Respectable citizens receive anonymous letters revealing their adulterous relationships. Michael Rennie is a London doctor who's transplanted to Canada. Darnell is a charming seductress who feigns ailments to lure him up to her rooms but is highly sensitive when he discovers the club foot she's taken pains to conceal. She's one of many characters who fall under suspicion as the letters continue to come. TCM airings: 0.

Island of Desire (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1952) - In 1943, an Allied hospital ship is sunk by the Japanese in the South Pacific, and a nurse (Darnell) and a Marine (Tab Hunter) become stranded on an island that's been abandoned by the natives. TCM airings: 0

Second Chance (RKO, 1953) - The girlfriend (Darnell) of a mobster (Jack Palance) is in hiding in Mexico. She's willing to testify before a US Senate investigation committee, if she can make it back alive. A local prizefighter (Robert Mitchum) helps her out. TCM airings: 15.

It Happens in Roma (Dist. in the US by Compass Film, 1955) - A woman and a man (Darnell and ... Vittorio di Sica???) compete for the same apartment, then agree to enter into a marriage of convenience so they can share it. She makes it clear from the beginning that she be allowed to continue to seek out true love, but he ridicules all her suitors. Things get more challenging, however, when a more serious rival her own age (Rossano Brazzi) begins making a play for her. TCM airings: 0

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Linda Darnell

Brigham Young (20th Century Fox, 1940) - In 1844, after Mormon leader Joseph Smith (Vincent Price) is murdered by an angry mob in Illinois, the Mormons choose a new leader, Brigham Young (Dean Jagger), who leads them to a new promised land in Utah. Tyrone Power is top billed, although he doesn't play Young. He plays a young Mormon farmer, and the movie focuses on him during the Mormons' travels, and Darnell plays his sweetheart, who I think isn't a Mormon, at least to start with . TCM airings: 1 (in August 2011)

Blood and Sand (20th Century Fox, 1941) - An illiterate peasant (Tyrone Power) experiences a meteoric rise to fortune and fame in the bullfighting ring only to sow the seeds of his own fall. I think Rita Hayworth has gotten more attention in the intervening years as the sultry "other woman", but Darnell plays the noblewoman Power marries. TCM airings: 20

City Without Men (Columbia, 1943)A man (Edgar Buchannan) is sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit. In order to be near him and to help him try to clear his name, his young wife (Darnell) moves into a boardinghouse near the prison where all the residents are wives of inmates. TCM Airings: 0

Buffalo Bill (20th Century Fox, 1944) - Biopic of the legendary Westerner (Joel McCrea), from his start as an Army scout to his later days as the owner of a Wild West show. It's Maureen O'Hara who plays the woman who becomes Mrs. Buffalo Bill, but looks like Darnell also makes moves on him in a "culturally inappropriate" casting as a Native American maiden. TCM airings: 1 (in July 2014)

The Great John L. (United Artists, 1945) - A look at the women in the life of the prizefighter John L. Sullivan (Greg McClure). Darnell's entertainer is a complete work of fiction, according to more than one imdb poster. TCM airings: 0

Centennial Summer (20th Century Fox, 1946) - In 1876 Philadelphia, two sisters (Jeanne Crain, Darnell) compete for the affections of a Frenchman (Cornel Wilde) who's come to town to prepare the French Pavilion for the Centennial Exposition. TCM airings: 0.

The Walls of Jericho (20th Century Fox, 1948) - The district attorney of Jericho, Kansas (Cornel Wilde), helps a woman (Anne Baxter) with her shiftless father (Henry Hull). A few years later, the new wife (Darnell) of his best friend (Kirk Douglas) begins making a play for him, much to the displeasure of his hard-drinking wife (Anne Dvorak). Returning to private practice and eyeing a career in the senate, he takes on the case of a woman who killed in self-defense (Colleen Townsend) and the Baxter character returns to work with him. TCM airings:  0

Slattery's Hurricane (20th Century Fox, 1949) - I just watched this one on YouTube about six weeks ago at 4 am during a night of insomnia. Looks like it may have been  yanked since then. Sorry. A former World War II naval pilot now working for a Miami civilian company (Richard Widmark) reminisces about his past and present sins as he flies into a hurricane.  One of the present sins revolves around Darnell, a former lover from the war years, with whom Widmark becomes obsessed, even though she's now married to his friend (John Russell) and he himself is married (to Veronica Lake). TCM airings: 0

The 13th Letter (20th Century Fox, 1951) - Respectable citizens receive anonymous letters revealing their adulterous relationships. Michael Rennie is a London doctor who's transplanted to Canada. Darnell is a charming seductress who feigns ailments to lure him up to her rooms but is highly sensitive when he discovers the club foot she's taken pains to conceal. She's one of many characters who fall under suspicion as the letters continue to come. TCM airings: 0.

Island of Desire (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1952) - In 1943, an Allied hospital ship is sunk by the Japanese in the South Pacific, and a nurse (Darnell) and a Marine (Tab Hunter) become stranded on an island that's been abandoned by the natives. TCM airings: 0

Second Chance (RKO, 1953) - The girlfriend (Darnell) of a mobster (Jack Palance) is in hiding in Mexico. She's willing to testify before a US Senate investigation committee, if she can make it back alive. A local prizefighter (Robert Mitchum) helps her out. TCM airings: 15.

It Happens in Roma (Dist. in the US by Compass Film, 1955) - A woman and a man (Darnell and ... Vittorio di Sica???) compete for the same apartment, then agree to enter into a marriage of convenience so they can share it. She makes it clear from the beginning that she be allowed to continue to seek out true love, but he ridicules all her suitors. Things get more challenging, however, when a more serious rival her own age (Rossano Brazzi) begins making a play for her. TCM airings: 0

Glad to see you mentioning CENTENNIAL SUMMER. It has never been issued on DVD, and I don't think it even aired on the Fox Movie Channel. So there must be some sort of rights issues. It  did air on the old AMC back in the day.

It is basically 20th Century Fox's version of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, with Jeanne Crain in the Judy Garland type role. Linda Darnell has a supporting part. The parents are played by Walter Brennan and Dorothy Gish. Constance Bennett is also featured.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, I saw it on YouTube maybe the same week I saw Slattery's Hurricane. That may be the only outlet for it ... if it's still there. One imdb poster titled his/her review "Meet Me in Philadelphia-Louis", and it definitely has a similar vibe.

Probably the copies that surface on YouTube are from old VHS recordings of the AMC broadcasts from the 80s/90s.

• Thanks 1

Joanne Woodward

Count Three and Pray (Columbia, 1955) - A pastor with a shady past (Van Heflin) moves into a rural town just after the Civil War. Woodward plays a young orphan who fancies herself a budding Calamity Jane who moves into the parsonage and won't leave. TCM airings; 6 

No Down Payment (20th Century Fox, 1957) - In California, four couples who have bought homes and are neighbors (Tony Randall & Sheree North, Cameron Mitchell & Woodward, Jeffrey Hunter & Patricia Owens and Pat Hingle & Barbara Rush) face money problems, alcoholism, racism , promiscuity and discrimination against lack of education until a tragic event forces them to reassess their lives. TCM airings: 1 (in June 2018)

The Fugitive Kind (United Artists, 1960) - A trouble-prone drifter trying to go straight (Marlon Brando) wanders into a small Mississippi town looking for a simple and uncomplicated life but finds himself embroiled with problem-filled women (Anna Magnani, Woodward, Maureen Stapleton). TCM airings: 14

Paris Blues (United Artists, 1961) - Two American expatriate jazz musicians living in Paris (Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier) meet and fall in love with two American tourist girls (Woodward, Diahann Carroll). TCM airings: 27

Signpost to Murder (MGM, 1965) - An escapee from an insane asylum (Stuart Whitman) takes refuge in the house of a woman (Woodward), but she has dark secrets of her own. TCM airings: 10

A Big Hand for the Little Lady (Warner Bros., 1966) - In the Old West, a traveler (Henry Fonda) bets more than he can afford in a poker game, and unusual events follow. Woodward plays Fonda's wife. There's a surprise involving her character near the end of the film. TCM airings: 16

Winning (Universal, 1969) - A rising star on the race circuit (Paul Newman) dreams of winning the big one - the Indianapolis 500 - but as he ruthlessly moves to get there, he runs the risk of losing his wife (Woodward) to his rival (Robert Wagner) and strains his relationship with his son (Richard Thomas). TCM airings: 6

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (Columbia, 1973) - A middle-aged New York City homemaker (Woodward) finds herself in a mid-life crisis, which forces her to reexamine her relationships with her mother (Sylvia Sidney), her eye doctor husband (Martin Balsam), her alienated daughter (Dori Brenner) and estranged son (Ron Richards). TCM airings: 10

The End (United Artists, 1978) - A man (Burt Reynolds) who discovers he doesn't have long to live bungles his attempts at suicide. Woodward plays Reynolds' inattentive ex-wife.  TCM airings: 2

Mr. & Mrs. Bridge (Miramax, 1990) - During World War II, an upper-middle class family begins to fall apart when the conservative nature of the patriarch (Paul Newman) clashes with the progressive values of his children (Margaret Welsh, Kyra Sedgewick, Blythe Danner). Woodward in I believe her last on-screen collaboration with husband Newman plays the wife and mother caught in the middle. TCM airings: 0

Even if a Hundred Ogres ... (???, 1996) - There's no information about this movie on either imdb or Wikipedia, other than it's animated, and Woodward provides the narration. I wonder if it's an English-language overdub of a foreign-language film.

Gayby (Wolfe Releasing, 2012) - A straight woman (Jenn Harris) and a gay man (Matthew Wilkas), best friends since college now past 30 and both single by choice decide to fulfill an old promise and have a child together the old-fashioned way. Woodward appears off-camera and uncredited, I assume by telephone, as the voice of the woman's mother. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Mr. & Mrs. Bridge (Miramax, 1990) - During World War II, an upper-middle class family begins to fall apart when the conservative nature of the patriarch (Paul Newman) clashes with the progressive values of his children (Margaret Welsh, Kyra Sedgewick, Blythe Danner). Woodward in I believe her last on-screen collaboration with husband Newman plays the wife and mother caught in the middle. TCM airings: 0

Slight correction...Blythe Danner plays Woodward's affluent friend. The Bridge children are played by Kyra Sedgwick, Margaret Welsh and Robert Sean Leonard.

• Thanks 1