Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's Entertainment! That's Insulting!

ClaudiaElle

Mr. Mankiewicz,

I so wish you had addressed the insulting and sexist remarks when hosting That's Entertainment! your channel aired a month or so ago. 

When I see you as host I expect sensitive and timely disclaimers regarding the film to be seen. By not doing so, you missed an opportunity to call out the compilation's sexist content.

Frank Sinatra's fat shaming remarks, Jimmy Stewart blaming folks with "thick, foreign accents" where they, " lisp and talk through their noses", and Donald O'Connor's surprise that Esther Wiliams had talent beyond the pool. The minstrel performance, Waiting on the Robert E Lee could also lend itself to an explanation, if possible.

As long as context is provided such as, "This dated film compilation is hosted by white male nitwits."

Thanks for listening, still love TCM and you are one of my favorite hosts.

Claudia McCarty

4 minutes ago, ClaudiaElle said:

Mr. Mankiewicz,

I so wish you had addressed the insulting and sexist remarks when hosting That's Entertainment! your channel aired a month or so ago. 

When I see you as host I expect sensitive and timely disclaimers regarding the film to be seen. By not doing so, you missed an opportunity to call out the compilation's sexist content.

Frank Sinatra's fat shaming remarks, Jimmy Stewart blaming folks with "thick, foreign accents" where they, " lisp and talk through their noses", and Donald O'Connor's surprise that Esther Wiliams had talent beyond the pool. The minstrel performance, Waiting on the Robert E Lee could also lend itself to an explanation, if possible.

As long as context is provided such as, "This dated film compilation is hosted by white male nitwits."

Thanks for listening, still love TCM and you are one of my favorite hosts.

Claudia McCarty

Interesting.     Most "newbies" tend to complain that TCM is being too PC.     E.g.  the new series about 18 problematic movies like Gone With the Wind,  Breakfast at Tiffany,  etc...

45 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Interesting.     Most "newbies" tend to complain that TCM is being too PC.     E.g.  the new series about 18 problematic movies like Gone With the Wind,  Breakfast at Tiffany,  etc...

With no other context to guide me, I read the OP's post as sarcasm...

12 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

With no other context to guide me, I read the OP's post as sarcasm...

As sarcasm it lacks bite. It reads like earnest wokery. Spend an evening on twitter in a discussion of any old movie and you will see many posts like it.

Sorry, but I can't tell if Claudia here is being sarcastic of not?! KIND'A seems she is, but I'm not sure.

BUT, if her post WAS meant in earnest, one point of hers caught my attention, and so I might have an answer for her....

3 hours ago, ClaudiaElle said:

Mr. Mankiewicz...

...When I see you as host I expect sensitive and timely disclaimers regarding the film to be seen...Jimmy Stewart blaming folks with "thick, foreign accents" where they, " lisp and where they talk through their noses... 

Claudia McCarty

You see Claudia, what  I'm thinkin' here that perhaps the reason Ben DIDN'T include a "disclaimer" about the line "they talk through their noses" is because Ben might NOT have wanted to call attention to THIS because Ben HIMSELF "talks through his nose", and HAS "talked through his nose" since the very first time I tuned into TCM YEARS ago and he was hosting!

(...but, don't worry though if you've never noticed this, and because for YEARS now I seem to be the ONLY person on these boards who HAS noticed this, or will at least ACKNOWLEDGE this anyway!)

LOL

Odd, but I don't seem to recall, after seeing THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT several times where Sinatra and Stewart made any comments like that.  Must've been to the head at the time or whatever....

Or maybe those comments were said as dialog of their characters in some movie in which case means the OP really had no reason to complain about the actors in the first place.   I dunno.

If perhaps a clip of those two saying those things that can attribute them as having been said as part of an interview can be shown, it might clear things up.

Sepiatone

Jimmy's script:

The only actor in town that wasn't worried

was Rin Tin Tin.

As long as he could bark,

sound was no threat to him.

For MGM and the rest of Hollywood,

there were gloomy days ahead.

Some of the biggest silent stars

spoke with thick foreign accents.

Others had a lisp

or talked through their noses.

The early microphones seemed

to exaggerate the flaws...

that silent film had hidden.

And Frankie says this:

Broadway Melody of 1929 won

an Oscar for Best Picture that year...

and MGM was off and running

with a new formula for success.

Charles King and a line of

slightly overweight chorus girls...

were the beginning

of a new motion picture art form...

that would captivate audiences

for years to come.

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

The I don't want to be lectured by TCM has been removed by the mods.

Now the 2nd post on this thread, joined just to rerspond about "TCM politics" again"?

https://forums.tcm.com/topic/266853-why/

The mods can’t handle differing opinions.  Woke and childish censorship has come to TCM.  Not everyone needs to be told how to think or feel.  But obviously the mods and several contributors do need to be told and handheld.  Just change the channel or mute the hosts when they launch into their diatribes explaining why we should all feel bad about old movies.  

5 hours ago, hamradio said:

Still doubting? 

Yep ham. Call me "naive" here if ya want, but I still very seriously doubt that all these complainers we've been seeing here are, or I guess "is", a single person who has been so driven by their disgust of being "lectured to" enough re-register themselves on these boards over and over just to do this.

(...and so yep, still doubting here, ol' buddy)

23 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Jimmy's script:

The only actor in town that wasn't worried

was Rin Tin Tin.

As long as he could bark,

sound was no threat to him.

For MGM and the rest of Hollywood,

there were gloomy days ahead.

Some of the biggest silent stars

spoke with thick foreign accents.

Others had a lisp

or talked through their noses.

The early microphones seemed

to exaggerate the flaws...

that silent film had hidden.

As you did point out, that was, "in Jimmy's script."  which I doubt HE wrote.   And....

22 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

And Frankie says this:

Broadway Melody of 1929 won

an Oscar for Best Picture that year...

and MGM was off and running

with a new formula for success.

Charles King and a line of

slightly overweight chorus girls...

were the beginning

of a new motion picture art form...

that would captivate audiences

for years to come.

Had you seen any of the very early filmed musical pieces shown yesterday morning you'd have noticed several of the chorus girls WERE slightly overweight.  In early movie musicals it was pretty commonplace for many of the female dancers to be somewhat chunky.  And again, I don't think Frankie was speaking "off the cuff",  but like Jimmy, repeating what was scripted. 

And both are actually factual statements.   A lot of very good silent actors(and actresses) had their film careers go up in smoke due to their naturally unintelligible  speaking voices.  And as I just pointed out, a lot of early movie musical women dancers were "slightly overweight".   And it's not insulting if it's true.  ;) 

Sepiatone  PS:  Watch "Singin' In The Rain"  for the voice thing.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings