Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why the quest for racist in every film ?

Zekedaboom

Must TCM kowtow to the Leftist quest to divide, rather than unite, Americans by searching for a racist under ever rock in every film to pillory ?  The Searchers is a great epic about the conflict of two cultures, the detritus population of an increasingly democratic Europe flooding to an underpopulated west and eventually displacing an established primitive culture.  In most cases some accommodation was reached, for a time, usually to the established people’s disadvantage as the newcomers modernization simply overwhelmed it predecessor.  The movie, naturally, is about conflict .  Persons from the established culture, as was their tradition, raided, killed and took slaves from the encroachers.  Ethan Hawks goes on a quest to recover family members taken during the raid. Ethan admires some aspects of this native culture but despises the barbaric behaviors which are a part of that culture. But is this really about race ? Or is it about the clash of two cultures, the more democratic modernized culture as seen through Ethan, struggling to thwart the barbarism of the established culture by reclaiming the enslaved members of his family ?  Certainly Ethan believes he is superior to many of those around him, regardless of, and sometimes because of race. But having seen unrivaled barbarism exhibited in a war among his own race, he struggles against its practice against the innocent,  in the only way he knows, by matching their violence with violence.  Ethan is a hero and no amount of contrived white guilt will change that. 

• Like 4

I just saw this movie, for the second noted time in my life. I am a regular brain washed American I suppose. When the commentary by Ben kicked in at the end of the movie, I was so confused at his message. I really felt he missed the point of the character Ethan. Zeke, I think we are nearly on the same page. Ethan was focused on preserving the memory of the girls he had lost. He didn't want the last living girl to exist in that contrived reality of being a white woman held by Native Americans. He was going to shoot her, to save her. In his mind, he couldn't bring her back to white society, so dead was better than living as a captured subject. This was the struggle. Not race. Definitely a clash of cultures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m in total agreement with the previous comments about The Searchers. I have watched the movie multiple times....it’s my favorite.....and have read the related books, bios of Ford and Wayne, etc. There is so much about this masterpiece that was overlooked in last night’s discussion which was absurdly over-focused on race with only a few gratuitous comments about the scenery.

I see this movie as so much more. It is really a love story between Ethan and Martha and Ethan’s quest to find and punish her murderers. Their affection for each other was obvious in the first awkward but touching moments of the movie. The stiffness of the greeting between Ethan and his brother telegraphs that he was aware of the situation. Ethan’s distress when looking for her, calling her name repeatedly, was palpable. So, in my opinion, his 5 year search for his niece was less about finding her than seeking retribution on Scar and his band of renegades. He was never going to kill his neice! That was just his macho persona. He was not going to kill the living flesh of his beloved Martha.

Certainly Ethan was a crude and complex protagonist with a seedy background (years of being unaccounted for) and having a large sum of mint gold coins which hints of bank robbery. But racism was not his driving force. It was retribution. His views on Native Americans were not unlike most Americans of the day....he was just a much harsher character.....don’t forget the US Government was at war with the Comanches at that time....rightly or wrongly. He was a soldier still at war in his mind. An excellent portrayal of the character and the Duke’s best IMO!

Did anyone else notice the station wagon driving by the upper road when the cavalry was crossing the icy river? Oops!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Contrarian said:

One of the greatest movies with excellent acting ruined by political liberal hacks who failed in their attempts to act and decided to play at liberal politics which any dummy can do!

If commentary ruins a film for you,  you have much larger problems.  

I just watch the films.  Period.     I don't let others influence me.    Maybe you need to grow a backbone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If commentary ruins a film for you,  you have much larger problems.  

I just watch the films.  Period.     I don't let others influence me.    Maybe you need to grow a backbone.

I suspect somewhere a call to arms was issued and this sudden influx of outraged posters is similar to what Rush used to refer to as seminar callers, with a little sock puppetry tossed in. Not that they're wrong, 

4 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I suspect somewhere a call to arms was issued and this sudden influx of outraged posters is similar to what Rush used to refer to as seminar callers, with a little sock puppetry tossed in. Not that they're wrong, 

I don't feel their wrong to view what TCM is doing with this 18 film series as over-the-top \ unnecessary \ way too  preachy,   but to have it get under one's skin so much as to no longer wish to view the many fine films TCM shows,  uncut and without commercial interruptions,  to me is silly and frankly the type of action a child takes when they face disappointment.

• Like 1