Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"As The Earth Turns" ca:1934 Just watched....so confused....please PLEASE help me out if anyone has seen this film.

Just watched this film on demand.  I'm confused.  I kept wondring whom Cora and Doris were and why they lived in Jen's family' s home.  They didn't seem to be a part of the family.  I actually thought JEN was the wife.  Her dad was her husband aned all of the kids were theirs. When they had the argument over giving George the cow Cora had been promised and she says "he's your brother not mine" I figured  she and Doris were borders.  Then Doris says to Jen about George (the dad's brother) "you WOULD say that, he's your Uncle".  So I was like ok, Doris is Cora's daughter and for some reason they live w/this family.  Maybe Cora was married to a THIRD brother, he died and this in-law family took them in.  Making Cora siste-in-law/Aunt and Doris niece/cousin.

Well THAT theory was blown when Jen calls the dad "father"  I'm like ok....so she's not the MOTHER of the house, she's a daughter and all the kids are er SIBLING 😮   So why did she act like the lady of the house?  The little girl Bunny even tells her at one point "you can't leave....who'd do all the work around here"? Then it's revealed that CORA is in fact the dad's WIFE 😮  So why didn't SHE act like the lady of the house?  Why didn't SHE do any work?   There seemed to be NO familial connection or warmth b/her and any of the children.

But here is where I REALLY became confuse....if in fact Cora was the dad's wife, kids' mom  then that means Jen and Doris were sisters.  BUT......Doris tries to seduce Jen's BROTHER Ollie............wouldn't that have been Doris' brother too?!!!! 😮  Was there incest that the Hayes Commission allowed to stay in the film?  Did the dad marry Cora and Doris was HER daughter and not theirs? This is the only thing that makes sense.

2 hours ago, Debra Johnson said:

't that have been Doris' brother too?!!!! 😮  Was there incest that the Hayes Commission allowed to sta

Jean Muir plays Jen Shaw, the blonde haired daughter of Mark Shaw, played by David Landau, and her mother is dead. Mark Shaw is married to Cora (Clara Blandick). She has a daughter by a previous marriage,  Doris. Doris hates the farm and wants to get away by any means necessary.

George Shaw (Arthur Hoyl) is Mark Shaw's brother. George's wife is Mil (Dorothy Peterson). 

Although not much is said, Ollie seems to be either George Shaw's son or Mark Shaw's son - Cora is not the mother. Thus there is no incest as he and Doris are not related by blood at all. 

But I understand. There are lots of Shaws in this film. 

This is from a 1920's novel I believe. 

3 hours ago, Debra Johnson said:

Just watched this film on demand.  I'm confused.  I kept wondring whom Cora and Doris were and why they lived in Jen's family' s home.  They didn't seem to be a part of the family.  I actually thought JEN was the wife.  Her dad was her husband aned all of the kids were theirs. When they had the argument over giving George the cow Cora had been promised and she says "he's your brother not mine" I figured  she and Doris were borders.  Then Doris says to Jen about George (the dad's brother) "you WOULD say that, he's your Uncle".  So I was like ok, Doris is Cora's daughter and for some reason they live w/this family.  Maybe Cora was married to a THIRD brother, he died and this in-law family took them in.  Making Cora siste-in-law/Aunt and Doris niece/cousin.

Well THAT theory was blown when Jen calls the dad "father"  I'm like ok....so she's not the MOTHER of the house, she's a daughter and all the kids are er SIBLING 😮   So why did she act like the lady of the house?  The little girl Bunny even tells her at one point "you can't leave....who'd do all the work around here"? Then it's revealed that CORA is in fact the dad's WIFE 😮  So why didn't SHE act like the lady of the house?  Why didn't SHE do any work?   There seemed to be NO familial connection or warmth b/her and any of the children.

But here is where I REALLY became confuse....if in fact Cora was the dad's wife, kids' mom  then that means Jen and Doris were sisters.  BUT......Doris tries to seduce Jen's BROTHER Ollie............wouldn't that have been Doris' brother too?!!!! 😮  Was there incest that the Hayes Commission allowed to stay in the film?  Did the dad marry Cora and Doris was HER daughter and not theirs? This is the only thing that makes sense.

850fe54c58b1dddc929f2e7134bab73c.jpg

• Haha 1
On 3/19/2021 at 10:53 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Jean Muir plays Jen Shaw, the blonde haired daughter of Mark Shaw, played by David Landau, and her mother is dead. Mark Shaw is married to Cora (Clara Blandick). She has a daughter by a previous marriage,  Doris. Doris hates the farm and wants to get away by any means necessary.

George Shaw (Arthur Hoyl) is Mark Shaw's brother. George's wife is Mil (Dorothy Peterson). 

Although not much is said, Ollie seems to be either George Shaw's son or Mark Shaw's son - Cora is not the mother. Thus there is no incest as he and Doris are not related by blood at all. 

But I understand. There are lots of Shaws in this film. 

This is from a 1920's novel I believe. 

Thanks!  I enjoyed the film but was really confused.  I couldn't keep who was who straight.  Like I STILL don't know who "Ed" who married the teacher was.

May I ask if you got the above info from the film or the book?

The TCM database page has a fairly detailed synopsis of the film:

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1528/as-the-earth-turns/#synopsis 

- You can also click on the 'credits' tab to see a list of the characters with photos of a few of the actors.

- There's also a trailer for the film if you click on the 'overview' tab.

I normally don't read the synopsis before watching a film to avoid spoilers, but afterwards it can help answer any questions you might have.

16 hours ago, Debra Johnson said:

Thanks!  I enjoyed the film but was really confused.  I couldn't keep who was who straight.  Like I STILL don't know who "Ed" who married the teacher was.

May I ask if you got the above info from the film or the book?

I got it from watching the film. But I think I remember rewinding a few times to keep up with who was who.