Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes!! Let’s make Mitch McConnell toothless as well as chinless!!  He cares not at all about Senate proprieties and institutions, only his own priorities.  

The Dems need to play hardball, like the Republicans always have, and crack the United GOP front, and pass their own bills sent by the House that the Grim Reaper has stopped from making it to the Senate floor.  These tend to enjoy overwhelming support among Americans, and include the proposal to keep the GOP voter supression to a minimum.  

Fight the anti-democratic tendencies of the Republicans at every turn, because given another chance, the GOP WILL dismantle our democracy.  Many still cannot admit publicly that Joe Biden won the election and is the legitimate president of the USA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
QcgK2k4V_normal.jpg

This below point is being repeated a lot, but I think some who repeat it are in danger of misunderstanding its significance. A short historical thread ...
Quote Tweet

4hznU14L_mini.jpg

Dana Decker

@theDanaDecker
· 5h
Replying to @joshtpm
In 1889, during a rare two-year period when the GOP held the House, Senate, and Presidency, the U.S. added *six* states (low population & inclined Republican). It resulted in additional GOP seats in both chambers - an advantage for 30 years.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Arturo said:

Yes!! Let’s make Mitch McConnell toothless as well as chinless!!  He cares not at all about Senate proprieties and institutions, only his own priorities.  

The Dems need to play hardball, like the Republicans always have, and crack the United GOP front, and pass their own bills sent by the House that the Grim Reaper has stopped from making it to the Senate floor.  These tend to enjoy overwhelming support among Americans, and include the proposal to keep the GOP voter supression to a minimum.  

Fight the anti-democratic tendencies of the Republicans at every turn, because given another chance, the GOP WILL dismantle our democracy.  Many still cannot admit publicly that Joe Biden won the election and is the legitimate president of the USA.

AMEN!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is likely, even probable that the Republicans will gain control of the Senate in 2023 and possibly the House.

So, the Dems better just face it and pass as much legislation as possible before then.  I have abandoned all hope that there are any Republicans left in Washington who are independent of control by Trumpists or the Radical Extreme Right Wing of the party.  There is NO hope for bipartisanship.

The Dem leaders need to take Manchin and Sinema into a closed room and apply as much pressure as necessary to get them on board.

Incidentally, the filibuster was NOT created by the Founding Fathers nor is it a part of the Constitution.  It was developed by senators as one of their rules.  As Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell have shown, it can be altered with 51 votes.

While I fear what the GOPers will do with control of both houses and the presidency in the future, we have to deal in the present.  PUSH through the Biden/Democratic agenda.  While it is likely the Republican US Supreme Court will rule some of it illegal, they will be going against what the majority of people in US want.  They may influence them.

Admitting DC, voting rights and gun control should be top priorities.  Do it NOW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

DC and Puerto Rico would be nice.

I thought about PR also, but am concerned about their financial crisis and other situations there.  Of course, US will eventually have to figure out some way to help them out I guess.

22 minutes ago, ElCid said:

It is likely, even probable that the Republicans will gain control of the Senate in 2023 and possibly the House.

So, the Dems better just face it and pass as much legislation as possible before then.  I have abandoned all hope that there are any Republicans left in Washington who are independent of control by Trumpists or the Radical Extreme Right Wing of the party.  There is NO hope for bipartisanship.

The Dem leaders need to take Manchin and Sinema into a closed room and apply as much pressure as necessary to get them on board.

Incidentally, the filibuster was NOT created by the Founding Fathers nor is it a part of the Constitution.  It was developed by senators as one of their rules.  As Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell have shown, it can be altered with 51 votes.

While I fear what the GOPers will do with control of both houses and the presidency in the future, we have to deal in the present.  PUSH through the Biden/Democratic agenda.  While it is likely the Republican US Supreme Court will rule some of it illegal, they will be going against what the majority of people in US want.  They may influence them.

Admitting DC, voting rights and gun control should be top priorities.  Do it NOW.

The Original Post video has some very good points to add.  It also outlines the rules of the filibuster.  And he begins by saying that there are already promising signs that the holdouts in the democrat party are shifting toward change.

BTC adds that if they do not pass the voting rights act then not only will the GOP control both houses in 2022 but you can more or less say goodbye to any semblance of democracy in America as that party is all about maintaining power.

The GOP put through their Senate confirmations and their TAX bill without the filibuster but are whining about what democrats may do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
35 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

The Original Post video has some very good points to add.  It also outlines the rules of the filibuster.  And he begins by saying that there are already promising signs that the holdouts in the democrat party are shifting toward change.

BTC adds that if they do not pass the voting rights act then not only will the GOP control both houses in 2022 but you can more or less say goodbye to any semblance of democracy in America as that party is all about maintaining power.

The GOP put through their Senate confirmations and their TAX bill without the filibuster but are whining about what democrats may do.

That's because budget bills - which for some odd reason the tax bill was - can be passed through reconciliation. It is why the Covid package that just went through could pass on reconciliation. There was no change to the filibuster that made this happen.  If I remember correctly, the Senate can pass one bill per budget year by simple majority. They have one more bill they could pass by reconciliation right now. 

BTW, if you think that the voting rights act is such a good idea - which says I believe that you cannot ask for ID when voting, would you bank at an institution where anybody could claim to be you and withdraw all of your funds? Did you know that - at least here in the USA - you need government issued ID to get a Covid vaccine? Just saying I am "me" is not enough. I have an appointment for my first shot tomorrow and that is what it says on the directions.  Did you know that as of October 1 of this year just a regular government ID will not be enough to get into US federal installations or board an airplane? You will need a "Real ID" which says that the government is super duper sure it is you, to board a plane or get into certain federal installations. 

But somehow, to vote in an election, which is a most important action, it's fine to show up and say "Sure I'm Abe Fischbind! Trust me!". 

• Thanks 1

RE, The GOP put through their Senate confirmations and their TAX bill without the filibuster but are whining about what democrats may do.

I meant to say "Supreme Court confirmations".

As for the voting rights, all I know is that Americans have made it harder for minorities to vote for some time - by whatever means.  You don't hear about this in Canada or European countries.  Difficulty to vote  has never been an issue.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

That's because budget bills - which for some odd reason the tax bill was - can be passed through reconciliation. It is why the Covid package that just went through could pass on reconciliation. There was no change to the filibuster that made this happen.  If I remember correctly, the Senate can pass one bill per budget year by simple majority. They have one more bill they could pass by reconciliation right now. 

BTW, if you think that the voting rights act is such a good idea - which says I believe that you cannot ask for ID when voting, would you bank at an institution where anybody could claim to be you and withdraw all of your funds? Did you know that - at least here in the USA - you need government issued ID to get a Covid vaccine? Just saying I am "me" is not enough. I have an appointment for my first shot tomorrow and that is what it says on the directions.  Did you know that as of October 1 of this year just a regular government ID will not be enough to get into US federal installations or board an airplane? You will need a "Real ID" which says that the government is super duper sure it is you, to board a plane or get into certain federal installations. 

But somehow, to vote in an election, which is a most important action, it's fine to show up and say "Sure I'm Abe Fischbind! Trust me!". 

The ID issue began as a photo ID requirement.  Some states allowed school issued photo ID's.  Most have not limited the types of ID's to a very few ones.  

Before photo ID you used your government issued voter registration card to vote.  No one was ever allowed to just walk in and say "Sure I'm Abe Fischbind! Trust me!" and then vote.   When I registered I had to show a government issued ID (driver's license with photo) and proof of where I lived to determine which ward I would vote in.

Neither the voting rights act nor anyone I know of has said people should be able to vote just because they say they can.  What it does is restrict the methods the GOPers have used for decades to suppress the votes of blacks, Hispanics, college students and others who might vote Democratic.  GOPers have even limited voting opportunities in areas with whites who may vote Democratic.

The voting rights act is an attempt to restore Democracy in America.  This is the 21st Century and there should be many more opportunities to vote than the very few offered by GOPers.  

41 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

RE, The GOP put through their Senate confirmations and their TAX bill without the filibuster but are whining about what democrats may do.

I meant to say "Supreme Court confirmations".

As for the voting rights, all I know is that Americans have made it harder for minorities to vote for some time - by whatever means.  You don't hear about this in Canada or European countries.  Difficulty to vote  has never been an issue.

Before the GOPers put through their nominations without a filibuster or 60 vote requirement, the Democrats did it first under Harry Reid.  Reid did permit requiring 60 votes for Supreme Court, but he in effect set the precedent and McConnell just expanded it.

• Thanks 1

Bogie - As for the voting rights, all I know is that Americans have made it harder for minorities to vote for some time - by whatever means.  You don't hear about this in Canada or European countries.  Difficulty to vote  has never been an issue.

You know what you DO hear about in Canada??? While we are pointing fingers at what is wrong with each other's country. 

Robert Hoogland — the father of a 14-year-old biological female who identifies as transgender and prefers male pronouns — was found in contempt of court and jailed on Tuesday after repeatedly calling his child his “daughter,” despite the court forbidding it.

Ooooh Canada! At least we still have free speech down here at this point. Not willing to say about next week. 

(I screwed this post all up. I should have replied to Bogie's post. Sorry for the confusion)

25 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Bogie - As for the voting rights, all I know is that Americans have made it harder for minorities to vote for some time - by whatever means.  You don't hear about this in Canada or European countries.  Difficulty to vote  has never been an issue.

You know what you DO hear about in Canada??? While we are pointing fingers at what is wrong with each other's country. 

Robert Hoogland — the father of a 14-year-old biological female who identifies as transgender and prefers male pronouns — was found in contempt of court and jailed on Tuesday after repeatedly calling his child his “daughter,” despite the court forbidding it.

Ooooh Canada! At least we still have free speech down here at this point. Not willing to say about next week. 

(I screwed this post all up. I should have replied to Bogie's post. Sorry for the confusion)

Thank you for enlighteing me about this dumb arse case which has zero to do about voting rights.  It just highlights your xenophobia, mate.

You left out the fact that the father was hounding the kid and was under a gag order by the court.  Even Roger Stone, an American knows a little about a court gag order.  

From the New York Post ...

The high court ordered the dad to not stand in the way of the 15-year-old’s hormone therapy and to try and better understand gender dysphoria, the outlet reported. He was also told to stop speaking to the media about the case and warned that his public attempts to undermine his child’s wishes was a form of family violence, according to the article.

I am happy to discuss Canadian stories but most non-Canadians don't find them of any interest.

I will tell you a funny story.  I was standing with a friend after work in Piccadilly Circus when an Englishman who had had a few approached us and said "What are you Yanks doing in my country?"  My friend replied, "You re mistaken.  We are not Americans.  We are from Canada."  The Englishman sneered, "Canada?  That's not even a real country."

We both laughed at that.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Thank you for enlighteing me about this dumb arse case which has zero to do about voting rights.  It just highlights your xenophobia, mate.

You left out the fact that the father was hounding the kid and was under a gag order by the court.  Even Roger Stone, an American knows a little about a court gag order.  

From the New York Post ...

The high court ordered the dad to not stand in the way of the 15-year-old’s hormone therapy and to try and better understand gender dysphoria, the outlet reported. He was also told to stop speaking to the media about the case and warned that his public attempts to undermine his child’s wishes was a form of family violence, according to the article.

I am happy to discuss Canadian stories but most non-Canadians don't find them of any interest.

I will tell you a funny story.  I was standing with a friend after work in Piccadilly Circus when an Englishman who had had a few approached us and said "What are you Yanks doing in my country?"  My friend replied, "You re mistaken.  We are not Americans.  We are from Canada."  The Englishman sneered, "Canada?  That's not even a real country."

We both laughed at that.

Oh, I admit Canada is a real country! But then I am not drunk either! 

And we have contempt of court down here too. But it usually has to do with people speaking out of turn or calling the judge names or stuff like that. I think that it is awful that any court would interfere with a parent's control over medical treatment of his/her own child. Lots of kids under 18 think they are trans and then change their minds. And when those hormone treatments have done their damage and make it impossible for this decision made by a child to be reversed if so desired at some later date,   where will all of these officers of the court be? Nowhere to be found I guarantee you and certainly not taking responsibility for not letting a parent be a parent.  If this was somebody of legal age making this decision I'd say it is up to them.

As for voting rights, I don't see why it is making it difficult for minorities or college students or anybody else to show a government ID. It does not have to be a driver's license. It should not be ridiculously hard or costly to get. But you should have one to vote just like you need one to take any other important action on behalf of yourself.  That is a completely different matter from Texas having one ballot drop box for all of Harris county (that is where Houston is) which has several million people in it and is very large geographically. 

26 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Oh, I admit Canada is a real country! But then I am not drunk either! 

And we have contempt of court down here too. But it usually has to do with people speaking out of turn or calling the judge names or stuff like that. I think that it is awful that any court would interfere with a parent's control over medical treatment of his/her own child. Lots of kids under 18 think they are trans and then change their minds. And when those hormone treatments have done their damage and make it impossible for this decision made by a child to be reversed if so desired at some later date,   where will all of these officers of the court be? Nowhere to be found I guarantee you and certainly not taking responsibility for not letting a parent be a parent.  If this was somebody of legal age making this decision I'd say it is up to them.

As for voting rights, I don't see why it is making it difficult for minorities or college students or anybody else to show a government ID. It does not have to be a driver's license. It should not be ridiculously hard or costly to get. But you should have one to vote just like you need one to take any other important action on behalf of yourself.  That is a completely different matter from Texas having one ballot drop box for all of Harris county (that is where Houston is) which has several million people in it and is very large geographically. 

As for that Canadian case, the kid was under his mother's care and not the father's care.  What you think is "terrible" amounts to a hill of beans.  We could go over tens of thousands of weird cases that we find "terrible."  What has that got to do with anything, my friend?  This is just a BS distraction.

As for the voting rights question, TheCid answered you on that.

I would add that this "voting rights" is in response to "voter suppression" which is supposedly to protect everyone from voter fraud.   You don't hear about voter fraud in Canada or the established democratic countries in Europe.  Only in America.  And I would say that you probably should not be hearing about it in America either!  Because systemic voter fraud is just another GOP hoax!  But there you go.  These lies are repeated in the name of free speech by right wing news networks.

It's not BS distraction if you are the one in jail for asserting your rights as a parent! 

As for the voter ID question, HR1 says that it is sufficient to provide a sworn statement saying you are who you claim to be. Yet there is no proof to back that up. Like a government ID. Something tells me I'd be turned away from my Covid appointment if I tried that tomorrow. 

Another issue with HR1 - It mandates that 16 and 17 year olds be allowed to  pre-register to vote. Although they almost are never where they were at age 16-17 by the time they are eligible to vote at 18. Often in different cities or even different states. Plus it mandates that you be registered to vote when you apply for a driver's license unless you opt out. I faced this when I was renewing my license recently online. I was somewhat worried that Virginia had registered me to vote all over again, because it asked more questions about voter eligibility than it did driver eligibility! Also, since illegal aliens can get DLs in several states, what is to prevent them from inadvertently being registered to vote ? There are LOTS of problems with this bill! 

Bottom line, we must agree to disagree at this point. 

4 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

It's not BS distraction if you are the one in jail for asserting your rights as a parent! 

He didn't go to jail because he was asserting his rights as a parent.  A, he was not the guardian of the kid.  The mother was.  And B, he went to jail because he defied a court order and was abusing the kid!!!!

Even your BS xenophobic "Canadian" story is full of holes.

2 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

He didn't go to jail because he was asserting his rights as a parent.  A, he was not the guardian of the kid.  The mother was.  And B, he went to jail because he defied a court order and was abusing the kid!!!!

Even your BS xenophobic distraction is full of holes.

First paragraph - I'm not sure what the issue is.

Second paragraph - Even your BS xenophobic distraction is full of holes.  

xenophobia -dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

I can't see how anything I have said is xenophobic. I don't see how the issue of underaged kids making what may be irreversible medical  decisions enforced by a court or wanting a government ID in order to vote has to do with xenophobia. Perhaps you can enlighten me. 

21 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

First paragraph - I'm not sure what the issue is.

Second paragraph - Even your BS xenophobic distraction is full of holes.  

xenophobia -dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

I can't see how anything I have said is xenophobic. I don't see how the issue of underaged kids making what may be irreversible medical  decisions enforced by a court or wanting a government ID in order to vote has to do with xenophobia. Perhaps you can enlighten me. 

You introduced this news story as a slight against Canadians - or rather as a slight against me as a Canadian.  A **** for tat because you do not like me talking about America. 

Tell me something ... do you plan on filibustering this sad sack transgender Canadian family court drama in this thread?

11 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

You introduced this news story as a slight against Canadians - or rather as a slight against me as a Canadian.  A **** for tat because you do not like me talking about America.  Which is highly ironic to use a free speech story because you have a xenophobic chip on your shoulder.

Tell me something ... do you plan on filibustering this dumb arse Canadian transgender court case story in this thread?

Could be! :)

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:
QcgK2k4V_normal.jpg

This below point is being repeated a lot, but I think some who repeat it are in danger of misunderstanding its significance. A short historical thread ...
Quote Tweet

4hznU14L_mini.jpg

Dana Decker

@theDanaDecker
· 5h
Replying to @joshtpm
In 1889, during a rare two-year period when the GOP held the House, Senate, and Presidency, the U.S. added *six* states (low population & inclined Republican). It resulted in additional GOP seats in both chambers - an advantage for 30 years.

Filibuster against civil rights bill, 1874 Filibuster against civil rights bill, 1875 Filibuster against a pension for a black official, 1906 Filibuster against confirmation of a black official, 1909

Filibuster against anti-lynching bill, 1921 Filibuster against anti-lynching bill, 1922 Filibuster against anti-lynching bill, 1925 Filibuster against monument to black WWI veterans, 1926

Filibuster against anti-lynching bill, 1935 Filibuster against anti-lynching bill, 1938 Filibuster against bill targeting racial discrimination in employment, 1945 Filibuster against Truman's civil rights proposals, 1948 .............

see ALL:  https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1374467896840097792

As this thread blows up, I should stress this isn't remotely an exhaustive list -- I did it quickly and I didn't repeat years in which there were multiple filibusters on different civil rights issues.
But it should still give a sense of the "racial history" in the filibuster.

• Thanks 2

There's an old saying that people should not discuss religion or politics with friends and/or family. It seems to me that social media has altered the meaning of the word "friends". Full disclosure, I'm a life long Democrat. However, I've always tried to respect the opinions of Republicans and Libertarians. Today that has become increasingly harder to do. Maybe I'm over generalizing, but it appears to me most the Republican politicians are no longer in step with the majority in our country. My evidence is they are lockstep against voting rights, affordable healthcare, sensible gun control, repairing our infrastructure, combating climate change and humane immigration reform.  It appears the only things they support are tax cuts for the wealthy, rolling back most (if not all) government regulations and eliminating a woman's right to choose.  It's pretty clear they plan to oppose everything the Biden Administration wants to do without even attempting to propose a reasonable alternative solution. I'm beginning to whole heartedly support doing away with the filibuster. If the Republicans do win back the House, the Senate and the Presidency it won't be easy or popular trying to undo all the things I listed above because just like Obamacare I think the majority will actually like the changes over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

As for the voter ID question, HR1 says that it is sufficient to provide a sworn statement saying you are who you claim to be. Yet there is no proof to back that up. Like a government ID. 

Another issue with HR1 - It mandates that 16 and 17 year olds be allowed to  pre-register to vote. Although they almost are never where they were at age 16-17 by the time they are eligible to vote at 18. Often in different cities or even different states. Plus it mandates that you be registered to vote when you apply for a driver's license unless you opt out. I faced this when I was renewing my license recently online. I was somewhat worried that Virginia had registered me to vote all over again, because it asked more questions about voter eligibility than it did driver eligibility! Also, since illegal aliens can get DLs in several states, what is to prevent them from inadvertently being registered to vote ? There are LOTS of problems with this bill! 

I disagree with the first part of HR 1 cited above.  Trump swore over 30,000 times that he was telling the truth.  I could see a sworn statement if the person (on limited basis) was unable to provide the necessary documentation, such as passport, government issued photo ID, birth certificate, etc. in order to register to vote.  Government agencies (as far as I know) still permit records in the family Bible to begin process for securing documents.

I am also opposed to pre-registration of anyone, but especially those not eligible to vote at the time of registration.

As you noted, illegal aliens could be registered to vote simply  because they are required to obtain a driver's license.