Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Meeting Classic Stars In Person

29 minutes ago, nakano said:

Also with a great cast...

That would be Jennifer Connelly.

Yeah, her. . . .  Labyrinth, Rocketeer, Career Opportunities (oh baby. . give that girl another quarter) Mulholland Falls, Jennifer Connelly!

5ec8bd4452bd65df269a24b35ff8a8be.jpg

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ah-HA! So YOU were Welch's inspiration for that opening line, "Have you seen that girl in the corner", eh?!

Well, as I recall, you DO have "ebony eyes" now don't ya, Tiki? ;)

(...nice write-up up there...what took ya so long to tell us about these great old memories you have of notables here?)

Nope, but there is one obscure one out there. By ELO. 

ELO is my most memorable back stage experience. The band was getting dressed and I was hanging around watching the stage set up & started talking to this stage hand fiddling with the synthesizers. He introduced himself as Bob and I freaked! You're THE Bob Moog? He couldn't get over the fact I knew who he was, but I'm a theremin player & Raymond Scott fan, kindred spirit. Wish I could have gotten to know him better but he split after the show was over.

Although I enjoyed hanging around with the guys, (more card players, must be a Manchester thing) I was far more starry eyed over meeting Bob Moog! I was just crushed when he passed. Glad Lynne is still going strong, what an incredible contribution he has made to music. Bev Bevan was the most personable, but we were all young crazy kids at that time. The closest I've ever been to anything sexual was seeing Bev in his shorts-memorable because they were bright blue spandex! Never saw anything like that before!

I also remember being shocked, shocked when seeing pre-fame THE CARS in a bar and one of the members was wearing leopard print spandex pants, a black leather vest and NO SHIRT underneath it! Fashion horrors! 😝

Also saw pre-fame U2 in a bar, recommended to me by Irish band friends Horslips. They were just OK, but acted like spoiled brats to the crew/managers. Saw them in a big venue a year later and they were still just OK on stage & still treated their support crew miserably - never spoke to any of them.

I've told all these stories here before and they're musicians so figured it wasn't the place until other non-movie celebs were mentioned.

• Like 6
On 6/12/2021 at 9:18 AM, TikiSoo said:

Ugh, I was constantly asked for my autograph in the 80's from people thinking I was her.

A business associate of ours looks much like: Barry Manilow in the 1990s. He is often asked for autographs. Both his superior and his assistant say there have been incidents wherein a stranger will ask for his autograph and then turn to them and ask: "Are you anyone?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I've told all these stories here before and they're musicians so figured it wasn't the place until other non-movie celebs were mentioned.

That's what I thought too. Plus the stories seem to be "naughty or nice" with differing amounts of drug use and girls. 

Example. Dolly Parton, very nice, just like what you've seen in interviews etc. An absolute living doll! This was at RCA's office so no drugs or girls (or boys). Another example, Paul Kantner, very, very,  very, naughty. Just a total dick. This was at a corporate convention. He was short with everyone who tried to engage him regardless of how high up the corporate food chain they were. Rick Springfield was there as well. His Jesse's Girl was a huge hit and the LP was rolling out so he had to come kiss the ring of the Pres. Just one naughty for him. Condescendingly pleasant with us lower level humans. Plus the guy was such a PacMan hog I wanted to run him over in the parking lot. Bryan Adams, nice. Probably because he's Canadian. NOT a PacMan hog. Drank beers with the guy. 

Some back stage stories? Certainly. Jefferson Starship, 38 Special opened. It was lead guitarist Craig Chaquico's birthday and he was in high spirits. Both he and Mickey Thomas go in the nice category. They were the only two I remember hanging around for any time outside the safety of their dressing rooms. The promoter Barry Fey flew in some very lovely companionship for the birthday boy. Must have been a two for one deal. Plenty of the stereotypical debauchery going on before the show. And I must say, the boys in 38 Special get a "nice" AND a Gold Star for going the extra mile since they actually showed up next morning to sign a bunch of stand-ups we would later use as promotional grease. I must ALSO say, I have never seen such a bunch of human wreckage still functional, they had clearly been up for at least all night. Really. Hat's off gentleman. 

More? OK. The Police and the Go-Gos. The tour was in support of Synchronicity and Beauty and the Beat. By now the Police were stinking huge. But I wasn't there for them. I was there because Belinda Carlisle was deeply in love with me, she just didn't know it yet. The cold pie of reality didn't take long to hit its mark. She was right there for a long time and just didn't look. I'm thinking "what she need's glasses?, she doesn't like boys?". *sigh* Sorry. . . . it still hurts.

The Two Tom Tour. Tom Petty and Tommy Two-tone. Tommy Two-tone was out for their debut album, Petty was touring in support of Damn the Torpedoes. It won't come as a surprise Petty gets a naughty. The guy is a shrimp and notoriously suffers Napoleon complex, truly goes out of his way to be rude. Stan Lynch (drums), nice!. And a real lady killer. Mike Campbell (guitar), also nice. The Two-Tone boys all get a big nice. Except for Terry Nails (bass player) who tried to corner my girlfriend. 

David Bowie.  RCA always had a love hate thing with Bowie. They enjoyed the arty-farty cred they got by having him but hated supporting his arty-fartyness. The constant complaint was, "he can write a hit any time he wants, he just won't". Which Bowie proved true when he went to EMI and tossed out Let's Dance. But back on point. Bowie was in town to play the lead in "Elephant Man". We had been tasked to get him from the the venue to the hotel. But David wanted to go out for a few drinks before retiring. We took him to a new "new wave club". Hole in the wall embarrassment no one could ever get lucky in, but that's where we went. Bowie ended up ditching us all and leaving with an attractive older lady that looked like she was in the B-52s. I don't know whether Bowie gets a naughty or nice because I'm pretty sure he was an alien. 

More next time the 90s edition. 

• Like 5

Okay, this doesn't qualify as having met or seen a celebrity, but it's related. In a way.

I was in the apartment of a girlfriend when her roommate (whom I had never seen before) unexpectedly returned home after having been on tour as a go go dancer with ZZ Top (that's the celebrity connection here). Into the room she strutted wearing a body hugging outfit and knee high leopard skin boots. You know, the type deathly afraid of any attention. My eyes popped out about a foot and a half. She really was strikingly beautiful and sexy. And she knew it.

Accompanying her was her Hulk Hogan lookalike boyfriend who must have spent five hours a day in a gym to get those pecs and probably spent more time in front of a mirror than she did. Unlike the Hulkster, this guy had hair, long blonde hair that went down to his very broad shoulders. He was wearing some kind of skimpy shirt to make sure that everyone could see his abundance of muscles. His language skills were limited but I do remember him calling me "Dude" a lot.

According to my girlfriend her roommate had broken their "no men" pact for their apartment, having Mr. Apollo moving in there, as well. My friend, who was forced to sleep on the couch, as a result, said the roommate and Hulk spent their nights in the bedroom grunting in carnal delight for hours on end.

I really felt out of it with these two characters strutting around and preening in front of a full length mirror. Soon ZZ Top girl and my girlfriend were having an argument about something (I forget what) and I left the place. Not long afterwards my friend moved into another apartment with a different girlfriend. I must admit to relief with that news, and never saw either Leopard Skin Boots Lady or Bench Press Man again.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

That's what I thought too. Plus the stories seem to be "naughty or nice" with differing amounts of drug use and girls. 

Example. Dolly Parton, very nice, just like what you've seen in interviews etc. An absolute living doll! This was at RCA's office so no drugs or girls (or boys). Another example, Paul Kantner, very, very,  very, naughty. Just a total dick. This was at a corporate convention. He was short with everyone who tried to engage him regardless of how high up the corporate food chain they were. Rick Springfield was there as well. His Jesse's Girl was a huge hit and the LP was rolling out so he had to come kiss the ring of the Pres. Just one naughty for him. Condescendingly pleasant with us lower level humans. Plus the guy was such a PacMan hog I wanted to run him over in the parking lot. Bryan Adams, nice. Probably because he's Canadian. NOT a PacMan hog. Drank beers with the guy. 

Some back stage stories? Certainly. Jefferson Starship, 38 Special opened. It was lead guitarist Craig Chaquico's birthday and he was in high spirits. Both he and Mickey Thomas go in the nice category. They were the only two I remember hanging around for any time outside the safety of their dressing rooms. The promoter Barry Fey flew in some very lovely companionship for the birthday boy. Must have been a two for one deal. Plenty of the stereotypical debauchery going on before the show. And I must say, the boys in 38 Special get a "nice" AND a Gold Star for going the extra mile since they actually showed up next morning to sign a bunch of stand-ups we would later use as promotional grease. I must ALSO say, I have never seen such a bunch of human wreckage still functional, they had clearly been up for at least all night. Really. Hat's off gentleman. 

More? OK. The Police and the Go-Gos. The tour was in support of Synchronicity and Beauty and the Beat. By now the Police were stinking huge. But I wasn't there for them. I was there because Belinda Carlisle was deeply in love with me, she just didn't know it yet. The cold pie of reality didn't take long to hit its mark. She was right there for a long time and just didn't look. I'm thinking "what she need's glasses?, she doesn't like boys?". *sigh* Sorry. . . . it still hurts.

The Two Tom Tour. Tom Petty and Tommy Two-tone. Tommy Two-tone was out for their debut album, Petty was touring in support of Damn the Torpedoes. It won't come as a surprise Petty gets a naughty. The guy is a shrimp and notoriously suffers Napoleon complex, truly goes out of his way to be rude. Stan Lynch (drums), nice!. And a real lady killer. Mike Campbell (guitar), also nice. The Two-Tone boys all get a big nice. Except for Terry Nails (bass player) who tried to corner my girlfriend. 

David Bowie.  RCA always had a love hate thing with Bowie. They enjoyed the arty-farty cred they got by having him but hated supporting his arty-fartyness. The constant complaint was, "he can write a hit any time he wants, he just won't". Which Bowie proved true when he went to EMI and tossed out Let's Dance. But back on point. Bowie was in town to play the lead in "Elephant Man". We had been tasked to get him from the the venue to the hotel. But David wanted to go out for a few drinks before retiring. We took him to a new "new wave club". Hole in the wall embarrassment no one could ever get lucky in, but that's where we went. Bowie ended up ditching us all and leaving with an attractive older lady that looked like she was in the B-52s. I don't know whether Bowie gets a naughty or nice because I'm pretty sure he was an alien. 

More next time the 90s edition. 

So Moe. What exactly did you do in the Music Industry in order to have all of these encounters?

43 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So Moe. What exactly did you do in the Music Industry in order to have all of these encounters?

Worked for RCA, but we also distributed A&M, IRS, Deutsche Grammophon, and several other smaller jazz and blues labels, so we supported all the associated acts.  What I did exactly was merchandising. I dealt with retailers in our region, made sure they had display materials for whoever we were pushing or who was coming to town. If your store reported "sales" to Billboard magazine, you got a lot of attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Worked for RCA, but we also distributed A&M, IRS, Deutsche Grammophon, and several other smaller jazz and blues labels, so we supported all the associated acts.  What I did exactly was merchandising. I dealt with retailers in our region, made sure they had display materials for whoever we were pushing or who was coming to town. If your store reported "sales" to Billboard magazine, you got a lot of attention.

So, "RCA", eh?! Well, we'll soon see about THAT right now!

QUICK! What was the dog's name in their "His Master's Voice" iconography, HUH?!

(...this should be real easy IF you're tellin' the truth here, ya know) ;)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, "RCA", eh?! Well, we'll soon see about THAT right now!

QUICK! What was the dog's name in their "His Master's Voice" iconography, HUH?!

(...this should be real easy IF you're tellin' the truth here, ya know) ;)

Believe it or not that was required right along with all the fed anti-payola "training".  I guess it stuck after 40 years.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Nipper?

(ding, ding, ding)

RIGHT you are, sir!

Yep, seems you worked for RCA, alright.  ;)

(...sorry I had to quiz ya on this, but one can never be too careful in these kind'a situations, ya know) 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Worked for RCA, but we also distributed A&M, IRS, Deutsche Grammophon, and several other smaller jazz and blues labels, so we supported all the associated acts.  What I did exactly was merchandising.

Ha! What a great job! I got to know the MCA distributer in my region as a teen & he kept me in fabulous used/discarded promo posters. I still have all the old Elton John ones-my favorite an early one of Elton in an authentic Nudie suit.

Haha I have an '81 Tom Petty backstage pass but I don't remember ever seeing a Tom Petty concert, nor meeting him or the band.  I also have a 1982 Police Pass & remember the show, (reggae band opened) but don't remember meeting them either. I was not inebriated, but most likely just wasn't interested enough to meet them.

I recall some story many years ago about a cache of previously unknown Judy Garland recordings found in an RCA warehouse in Albany, do you know anything about that? I imagined they were uncovered in this building which still stands proudly in Albany, right on Broadway:

P1040961.JPG 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Ha! What a great job! I got to know the MCA distributer in my region as a teen & he kept me in fabulous used/discarded promo posters. I still have all the old Elton John ones-my favorite an early one of Elton in an authentic Nudie suit.

Haha I have an '81 Tom Petty backstage pass but I don't remember ever seeing a Tom Petty concert, nor meeting him or the band.  I also have a 1982 Police Pass & remember the show, (reggae band opened) but don't remember meeting them either. I was not inebriated, but most likely just wasn't interested enough to meet them.

I recall some story many years ago about a cache of previously unknown Judy Garland recordings found in an RCA warehouse in Albany, do you know anything about that? I imagined they were uncovered in this building which still stands proudly in Albany, right on Broadway:

P1040961.JPG 

What a great Nipper! I'm surprised it's still there, when Bertelsmann took over late 80s they removed all things RCA which leads me to think that place may have been sold previously. No recollection of Judy Garland recordings found, but I might have been gone by then. I had moved on by mid 80s.

The reps were all pretty friendly with each other. We'd meet for lunch (and drinks etc) to trade promo records and tickets. The Warner Brothers rep had a signed Rod Stewart stand up from Blondes Have More Fun that I wanted BAD. It took awhile but I wore her down. 

So, did you ever go out when the band was on stage and look out at the audience?

• Like 1
On 6/13/2021 at 8:43 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Really? WOW! 😍

Joan Jett Photo: Joan Jett | Joan jett, Heavy metal girl, 80s rock fashion

Here's an old ad photo of me from an ad:

TSAd80.jpg.7158f63086afbace31e38cc735f95355.jpg

Hair not quite as big, she's wearing a wig. But just as skinny &  crazy clothing.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Hair not quite as big, she's wearing a wig. But just as skinny &  crazy clothing.

Nice, looks a bit more like Rosanna Arquette

Rosanna Arquette - Autographed Signed Photograph | HistoryForSale Item  180656

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish I looked that good, but never said I looked like Joan Jett. I really didn't, but just had that hard punk rock look, esp when my hair was dyed black. OTHER people thought I was her only because "that look" wasn't the norm in 1980 for people my age, this was:

th?id=OIP.PpjugmVHUdIsJSuMBj_ppwHaKK&pid

But I was in the fashion industry at the time and looked pretty extreme.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

m8LzmLC.jpg

• Like 1