Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greenstreet & Lorre

ando

lorregreenstreet.jpg

The name combination has a law firm ring to it.  Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre appeared in 9 films together, most of which are currently streaming on WatchTCM (with April 23rd expiration dates) -

1. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
  2. Casablanca (1942)
  3. Background to Danger (1943)
  4. Passage to Marseille (1944)
  5. The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
  6. The Conspirators (1944)
  7. Hollywood Canteen (1944)
  8. Three Strangers (1946)
  9. The Verdict (1946)

Always love seeing TCM runs like this one. Got a favorite film with the combo? Recommendation? I'm not sure if the two were even friends but one would assume so given the number of movies they did together within a 6 year period. Having only watched Casablanca I'm looking forward to viewing the rest over the next month.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oddly though, for my generation, Lorre was far more familiar to us.  Most(if not all) "boomers" never heard of Greenstreet  until later years when many(but still, not all) of us got into watching older, "classic" cinema.    It kind of amused me that the street I grew up on (from age 12 to 18) was called  "Green".  ;)    My first familiarity with Sydney was when I first saw THE MALTESE FALCON when I was 16.   Lorre on the other hand, was often seen on Saturday TV matinees in those old MR. MOTO flicks, and therefore a more familiar face and name to us "kids" in the mid to late '50's. 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

Oddly though, for my generation, Lorre was far more familiar to us.  Most(if not all) "boomers" never heard of Greenstreet  until later years when many(but still, not all) of us got into watching older, "classic" cinema.    It kind of amused me that the street I grew up on (from age 12 to 18) was called  "Green".  ;)    My first familiarity with Sydney was when I first saw THE MALTESE FALCON when I was 16.   Lorre on the other hand, was often seen on Saturday TV matinees in those old MR. MOTO flicks, and therefore a more familiar face and name to us "kids" in the mid to late '50's. 

Sepiatone

Was also a target of parody in several old WB cartoons, either in voice, appearance, or both.  That was my first introduction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Good points here.   My first exposure to Lorre was as a kid in horror films with Vincent Price.   

OLD CBS TV RADIO PHOTOCollectors Item with Vincent Price & Peter Lorre 2 |  eBay

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ando said:

lorregreenstreet.jpg

The name combination has a law firm ring to it.  Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre appeared in 9 films together, most of which are currently streaming on WatchTCM (with April 23rd expiration dates) -

1. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
  2. Casablanca (1942)
  3. Background to Danger (1943)
  4. Passage to Marseille (1944)
  5. The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
  6. The Conspirators (1944)
  7. Hollywood Canteen (1944)
  8. Three Strangers (1946)
  9. The Verdict (1946)

Always love seeing TCM runs like this one. Got a favorite film with the combo? Recommendation? I'm not sure if the two were even friends but one would assume so given the number of movies they did together within a 6 year period. Having only watched Casablanca I'm looking forward to viewing the rest over the next month.

The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca are musts, if you haven't seen them. If you have, then The Mask of Dimitrios and Three Strangers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingrat said:

The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca are musts, if you haven't seen them. If you have, then The Mask of Dimitrios and Three Strangers.

I would also add Passage to Marseille as a 5th  film worth seeing.    Not a great Bogie film,  but a good one and a fine example of the Warner Bros studio "A" team which used WB contract employees like

Michael Curtiz as Director

Casey Robinson as Screenwriter

Max Steiner as musical director

James Wong Howe as cinematographer

And the fine WB contract actors (other than Loree and Greenstreet),  of Claude Rains,  George Tobias, Helmut Dantine,  Victor Francen,  Vladimir Sokoloff,   Edurado Ciannelli,  and just starting out,  Dudley Do-Right,  Hans Conried.

Someday, I'll Meet You Again - SHEET MUSIC for love theme featured in film - Passage to Marseille- starring Humphrey Bogart, Michele Morgan and Claude  Rains. BEAUTIFUL cover art!

• Like 6

14 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Same here... Those animated big eyes and his split teeth before he had them fixed!

(As we can see, Edward G. Robinson also had his share of WB toon caricatures:
"Nice haul boys, see?  Made a clean getaway, nyah...(to camera) Say, I do a pretty good Eddie Robinson, don't I, nyah?  And I can do Fred Allen, too, listen:  (pinches nose) 'Hehehh, hellooo, and welcome to Town Hall Tonight--'"
"Aw, c'mon, Killer, quit showin' off!")

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, EricJ said:

Peter Lorre had a great sense of humor, as we saw in the Roger Corman years--

But surprisingly Sydney Greenstreet seemed to have one too, poking fun at their Warner-contract images in Hollywood Canteen:

😅 perfect! thanks.

My favorite film of the two of them is CASABLANCA, but my favorite pairing of them is THE MALTESE FALCON. Peter Lorre was only in CASABLANCA, what 5 or 10 minutes. Sydney Greenstreet only a little bit more than that.

In THE MALTESE FALCON, they actually had some scenes together, and worked off each other wonderfully. They both made excellent adversaries to Bogey's Sam Spade.

• Like 2

I've always liked to imagine there was a very fun, possibly slightly lower budget sequel to be made to the Maltese Falcon, minus Bogart, in which we follow Sydney and Peter chasing down that new lead on the Falcon's location they were talking about in the original film. I believe we're told they got arrested the microsecond they walked out of that room, but I like to ignore that. 

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings