Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sophia Loren plays a nun. Right.

slaytonf

59 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

You don't have to have an image of nuns as frumpy mice to have reservations about Sophia Loren as one.  She is perhaps the best definition of Woman.

But I said I'd keep an open mind.

Slayton, at least it's easier to imagine Sophia as a nun than Joan Collins as a nun in Sea Wife. (But I agree, if you're casting nuns, Sophia is not exactly the first actress who comes to mind.)

Three beautiful women who believably played nuns are Deborah Kerr in Black Narcissus, Audrey Hepburn in The Nun's Story and Diana Rigg in In This House of Brede. Neither Deborah nor Audrey had sexy images, although Diana Rigg certainly did.

• Like 1

The beautiful Anne Heywood played a nun in two movies: The Nun and the Devil (1973); and The Awful Story of the Nun of Monza (1969). Both of these films have other titles. The Nun of Monza is based on a true story.

4_midi.jpg

british-actress-anne-heywood-pictured-dr

• Like 1

My Dad(who was really my stepfather) had an older sister who was a nun( in her case then, twice a sister  ;) ) 

She of course looked nothing like Sophia Loren,   but had a robust, outgoing manner and a lively sense of humor that went against what most people think a nun's demeanor is.    My Dad, also of robust manner was always (and uncharacteristically) demure and anxious in her presence when she came over for a visit.  Of course, I attributed it to his Catholic upbringing and young education by nuns in Catholic parochial school.   :D  She even remarked on this during one visit.  She told him, " Oh, just relax and quit being so nervous George.  There's nothing to be afraid of.  I didn't bring my steel ruler."  :D   Yep.  Lively sense of humor.

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

My Dad(who was really my stepfather) had an older sister who was a nun( in her case then, twice a sister  ;) ) 

It's too bad she wasn't a nurse in England. She could have been three times a sister!

58 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

buuuut............so.......WHO saw the movie???

I think I saw the best 30 minutes of it. Watched the beginning to her taking vows, some middle parts to apply stereotypes to the major characters, thinly followed them, skipped to the bed squabble, skipped to the picketers and the "accident", watched the ending.

12 hours ago, Swithin said:

4_midi.jpg

Yeah, sure.  That's a nun.

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

airplane4-2.jpg&ehk=80Vi2UgKlEmvmFQ9SG7G

And who is nothing like Sophia Loren.

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

She of course looked nothing like Sophia Loren,

Thanks for making my point.

5 hours ago, Fedya said:

Who is nothing like Sophia Loren.

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

41VJXR59PJL._AC_.jpg

Who is less believable as a nun than Sophia Loren.

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Is Olalla Oliveros chopped liver? 

WyIrka8.jpg

A woman, a sexy beautiful woman.  But not Woman.

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

3B1MkaL.jpg

Not believable as a nun,  And who is nothing like Sophia Loren.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

...And who is nothing like Sophia Loren.

Okay then, slayton. You wanna hot lookin' nun, do ya?!

How about THIS one then. She kind'a looks like Megan Fox, wouldn't ya say?

nun.jpg

(...and Megan Fox is a, well, is a fox, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

• Haha 1

People don't think of Deborah Kerr as sexy?  Y'all need to watch "From Here to Eternity" again, or maybe her nude scene at the age of 47 in "The Gypsy Moths".

As far as Loren goes, she did well as a frumpy housewife in "A Special Day", no reason she can't be a nun.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings