Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NAME AN ACTOR OR ACTRESS THAT YOU REGARD AS A TRAGIC FIGURE

I’ve always felt Sandra Dee’s story is a sad one.  A successful child model, she made the transition to films and enjoyed at least a decade or more of great stardom.  Abused sexually by her stepfather as a child, she also suffered from anorexia at an early age, something that became a lifelong struggle,  along with depression and alcoholism.  Married to singer Bobby Darin from 1960 til their 1967 divorce,  Sandra never remarried and died from complications of kidney disease in 2005, at age 62.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Vera Kholodnaya (1893-1919)

sH2n9LC.jpg

She was the first great star of silent movies. Her beauty and charm led one of the leading directors of the day to cast her in a magnificent movie. She was instantly popular both on-screen and off. She was in perhaps one-hundred movies in five years. It is sad to say that five only are extant and there are sections of three others.

She was such a great actress and was so much beloved that there is life-sized statue of her in Odesa.

reCx1fb.jpg

She was only twenty-five years old when she was murdered by the French who feared she was having an affair with their Ambassador and might be a security risk.  Thousand lined the street for her funeral and a short film of it became the most popular movie for months after.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Trailer

Re: "Boyfriend Tom Neal got in a fight with her other boyfriend Franchot Tone over Payton in 1951. When it was over Tone was in the hospital with a brain concussion..."

If I correctly recall reading in th?id=OIP.kYokicbDb2a7ZBrYngVy5gAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300  Franchot Tone was at it again about ten years later, and some of his scenes in the episode entitled "The SILENCE" reflect the improvisational camouflaging of the injured leftside of Tone's face: th?id=OIP.FgqzsYm5QU7Uve2YVPcuywHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=219&h=165th?id=OIP.UPilEMbbVKCxuejabZlpSwHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=225&h=170th?id=OIP.5-cXB0U3VaLVH6bktZmHagHaHA&pid=Api&P=0&w=173&h=165 !

• Like 2

Brittany Murphy Picture

Brittany Murphy (1977- 2009)

Maybe best known for her role in Clueless (1995). 

What happened to her I have copied from imdb, since I was unaware of the details:

"She is alleged to have been a witness in the case of the former Department of Homeland Security employee and persecuted whistleblower Julia Davis. According to Davis, Brittany and her fiancée Simon Monjack were then targeted for retaliation that included land and aerial surveillance and a threatened prosecution. Monjack was arrested and detained by the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Brittany and Simon confided in Alex Ben Block of the Hollywood Reporter, telling him in an interview that they were under surveillance by helicopters and their telephones have been wiretapped. This information was published by THR posthumously, in an article entitled "The Last Difficult Days of Brittany Murphy."

On December 20, 2009, Brittany Murphy died an untimely death. The LAPD and Los Angeles County Coroner closed the case within one hour, attributing her death to pneumonia and anemia. Five months after Brittany's unexpected demise, her husband Simon Monjack was found dead in the house he shared with Brittany. The chief/spokesperson at the Los Angeles County Dept of Coroner, Craig Harvey, stated that Simon also died from the same exact causes as his wife, namely pneumonia and anemia. Neither Brittany, nor Simon, were given a thorough and complete forensic autopsy for poisons. Abnormally high levels of heavy metals and poisons were discovered in Brittany's hair, tested by two independent forensic labs ."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have a couple to add,

Judy Garland, dead at 47 years old.

Natalie Wood, found drowned, also in her forties

Bruce Lee, Oh what he could haven continued doing if he did not died in 1973.

Mario Lanza, dead at 38 years old

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ba3f6d9f-631d-4a6c-9209-5d028c7e2530_1.a

Sal Mineo, started as a child actor and successfully transitioned to "troubled teen" roles. He had major roles in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, GIANT and the starring role in the GENE KRUPA STORY. A powerhouse actor, when his open bisexuality seemed to hold his career back from landing better movie roles, he found success on Broadway & directing. In the 70's he began taking roles on TV shows like Patty Duke Show, Hawaii Five-0 & Columbo. At 37 years old he was killed in a random mugging. Who knows how his career could have gone in the next decade when homosexuality came out of the closet & became more publicly accepted. 

3074_ec2fd4ef-0b72-496d-9784-9c4b427b818

And then there's Thelma Todd. Loved by almost everyone, she had a wonderful career as comedienne at Hal Roach's Studio as foil for Buster Keaton, Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy, etc. She even popularized "girl" comedies paired with Zazu Pitts & Patsy Kelly.

Smart cookie, she diversified her career & opened a restaurant in this building which still stands today:

1280px-Paulist_Productions_Pacific_Palis

At 29 years old she was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning sitting in her car parked in the garage of a friend. It has always been a suspicious case, implicating the Mob/gangsters. Loni Anderson portrayed Todd in a TV movie of her life and strange circumstances of her death.

The saddest timing of a death is Glen Milstead, better known as Divine. A dramatic & creative youth, he found camaraderie with fellow local Baltimore artist John Waters and was catapulted to underground stardom as the charactor Divine. Halstead enjoyed notoriety as Divine but eventually experienced main stream acceptance after his portrayal of Mrs. Turnblatt in Waters' popular movie HAIRSPRAY '88.  This seemed to be the turning point for Divine, leading to a charactor created for him in the hugely popular sit-com MARRIED WITH CHILDREN. After a day of rehearsals, Milstead died in his sleep at age 42.

harris-glenn-milstead-alias-divine.jpg

And yes, I have visited & paid my respects to all of them. 

• Like 7
36 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

ba3f6d9f-631d-4a6c-9209-5d028c7e2530_1.a

Sal Mineo, started as a child actor and successfully transitioned to "troubled teen" roles. He had major roles in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, GIANT and the starring role in the GENE KRUPA STORY. A powerhouse actor, when his open bisexuality seemed to hold his career back from landing better movie roles, he found success on Broadway & directing. In the 70's he began taking roles on TV shows like Patty Duke Show, Hawaii Five-0 & Columbo. At 37 years old he was killed in a random mugging. Who knows how his career could have gone in the next decade when homosexuality came out of the closet & became more publicly accepted

Sal's career was on the upswing at the time of his murder. He had been getting excellent reviews in the theatrical production of "P.S. Your Cat is Dead." (And playing a gay character.)

• Thanks 1

Peg Entwistle is far better known for the tragic circumstances of her death than anything that occurred during her short life of anonymity. A stage actress who travelled to LA  in 1932 to appear in a play, The Mad Hopes, featuring Billie Burke and Humphrey Bogart. A reviewer for the Los Angeles Examiner wrote about her performance, " Miss Entwistle as the earnest, young daughter (Geneva Hope) of a vague mother and presents a charming picture of youth."

After that Miss Entwistle won her sole role in a film, a small supporting part in Thirteen Women, starring Myrna Loy and Irene Dunne. No more films roles were offered, it was the depth of the Depression, the actress was broke and couldn't pay for a ticket back to NYC.

On September 18 a woman hiker found a woman's purse and shoe below the Hollywoodland sign. Inside the purse was a suicide note: "I am afraid, I am a coward. I am sorry for everything. If I had done this a long time ago, it would have saved a lot of pain. P.E." She then saw Entwistle's body lying nearby.

An investigation showed that the actress had climbed a workman's ladder to the top of the "H" in the Hollywoodland sign and jumped to her death, the coroner listing her death as a result of multiple fractures of the pelvis. The actress was 24.

There would be a flurry of publicity following the actress's death, Entwistle dubbed by one newspaper wag "the Hollywoodland Sign Girl."

However, Entwistle's sad end has not been forgotten. From Wikipedia: In 2014, roughly 100 people marked the anniversary of Entwistle's death by gathering in the parking lot of Beachwood Market in Hollywood, to watch Thirteen Women on an outdoor screen. Proceeds from a raffle and from food and beverages sold at the screening were donated to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention in Entwistle's name.

Ironically for a short while Entwistle had been married to actor Robert Keith, whose son, Brian, would later become a well known actor. Brian Keith would also commit suicide.

0bcbf1c0-8e7e-11ea-8d18-2548079bda5b_800

• Like 2

James Dean was killed in a car crash when he was only 24.   At the time of his death, he had starred in only one film released in theaters.  He studied with Lee Strasberg at The Actor's Studio and his great talent was evident in his roles in "Giant", "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without a Cause" which were filmed shortly before his death.  He's the only actor to be nominated twice for Academy Awards after his death.  I always have wondered what great acting achievements he would have accomplished if he hadn't been killed.

James Dean Rebel Without a Cause

• Like 1

FRANCES FARMER (nut house, alcoholic)

HAROLD LOCKWOOD (Spanish Influenza)

RUDOLPH VALENTINO (peritonitis)

MARION DAVIES (citizen kane)

WILLIAM HAINES (louis b. mayer)

BESSIE SMITH (jim crow)

MAE MURRAY (talkies)

CHARLIE CHAPLIN (politics)

LILYAN TASHMAN (cancer)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

HAROLD LOCKWOOD (Spanish Influence)

BESSIE SMITH (jim crow)

MAE MURRAY (talkies)

LILYAN TASHMAN (cancer)

I would say that William Haines is not a tragic figure. Sure, he was ousted from MGM because he wouldn't agree to what was called back then a lavender marriage - a fake marriage - so that movie goers wouldn't know that he was gay. But he then began a 40 year career in home decoration, helped by his Hollywood connections. His  company still exists. He and his long time partner were happy together in a relationship that lasted 47 years, ended only by Haines' death in 1973 at the age of 73.  I say we should all be this lucky - true love and at the top of our profession. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

HAROLD LOCKWOOD (Spanish Influence)

BESSIE SMITH (jim crow)

MAE MURRAY (talkies)

LILYAN TASHMAN (cancer)

It took me a few to realize you meant HAROLD LOCKWOOD died of Spanish INFLUENZA!    ;)   

Oh, and along with SAL MINEO, add (mostly TV star) BOB CRANE, who also was the victim of also an unsolved murder.

And too, I'll throw in RITA HAYWORTH for good measure.  I recall near the end of her life reading newspaper gossip columnists wringing their hands over "Miss Hayworth's sad surrender to alcoholism  to where she's often seen wandering the streets of New York City looking disheveled and babbling incoherently...."   when finally, after years of such press it was determined she suffered from a then not too familiar malady called ALZHEIMER'S. disease.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I would say that William Haines is not a tragic figure. Sure, he was ousted from MGM because he wouldn't agree to what was called back then a lavender marriage - a fake marriage - so that movie goers wouldn't know that he was gay. But he then began a 40 year career in home decoration, helped by his Hollywood connections. His  company still exists. He and his long time partner were happy together in a relationship that lasted 47 years, ended only by Haines' death in 1973 at the age of 73.  I say we should all be this lucky - true love and at the top of our profession. 

I would agree.  You can mourn the loss of his acting career, but he led a happy and successful life, from all appearances.  Joan Crawford called them the happiest couple in Hollywood.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

It took me a few to realize you meant HAROLD LOCKWOOD died of Spanish INFLUENZA!    ;)   

Oh, and along with SAL MINEO, add (mostly TV star) BOB CRANE, who also was the victim of also an unsolved murder.

And too, I'll throw in RITA HAYWORTH for good measure.  I recall near the end of her life reading newspaper gossip columnists wringing their hands over "Miss Hayworth's sad surrender to alcoholism  to where she's often seen wandering the streets of New York City looking disheveled and babbling incoherently...."   when finally, after years of such press it was determined she suffered from a then not too familiar malady called ALZHEIMER'S. disease.  

Sepiatone

Yes, I think that Texas governor Greg Abbott, given the way he talks about migrants and the situation at the border, may well die of Spanish influence. But Harold Lockwood did indeed die of Spanish Influenza (it actually came from Kansas, long story).  Director John Collins (1889-1918), who was in the process of making  a name for himself in the industry, also died in that pandemic.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

HAROLD LOCKWOOD (Spanish Influenza)

BESSIE SMITH (jim crow)

MAE MURRAY (talkies)

LILYAN TASHMAN (cancer)

Chaplin died rich and comfortable, Davies...well, her film career just petered out, Haines as already mentioned had a perfectly lovely life that just stopped involving movies.

No one's mentioned Marie Prevost, who died from starvation and alcohol poisoning with an IOU written out to Joan Crawford found at her home.

And of course there's Heath Ledger, dying particularly senselessly just when he was establishing himself as a phenomenal actor; his Joker may be the best ever performance in the superhero genre, one not particularly conducive to good acting.

• Like 1

Christopher  Reeve  had  a  terrible  horseback  riding  accident  were  he  broke  his  neck. The  result  of  this  accident  he  was  paralyzed  from  the neck down. For  the rest his life  he was  in  a wheelchair  and  needed  to be on a ventilator.  Christopher  set  an  foundation  for  spinal cord  injuries. Christopher  was  a  good man  and  died  early  at  52.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Maybe I missed it but no one has mentioned James Dean. He died just as his career was starting to peak. 

Well, there was the giant picture of Dean on this page...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

I would add the following:

Gig Young

Brandon DeWilde

Joe Spinnel

Albert Salmi

I can’t watch these actors without thinking of their sad demises.

Gig Young shot and killed his live-in girlfriend then himself.

Albert Salmi shot and killed his wife then himself.

these 2 are not tragic figures because they committed murder.

Gig Young shoulda married Shirley Jones after starring with her in A Ticklish Affair.

:D

SHIRLEY JONES, GIG YOUNG, CAROLYN JONES, A TICKLISH AFFAIR, 1963 Stock  Photo - Alamy

ALL GOOD THINGS: Shirley Jones in A TICKLISH AFFAIR (1963)

• Like 2