Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NAME AN ACTOR OR ACTRESS THAT YOU REGARD AS A TRAGIC FIGURE

I didn't see Rock earlier on this thread; maybe I missed it -

Rock Hudson Biography - Childhood, Life Achievements ...Daniel Reece | Dynasty Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Probably the first Hollywood mega-star to succumb to AIDS.    His death raised awareness regarding the disease.

• Like 3

Margaux Hemingway, the daughter of Ernest Hemingway's eldest son, became a sensation in the mid-1970s. She modeled and acted, but the turning point of her movie career was her debut film, the 1975 drama "Lipstick."

She played a model determined to avenge herself against a rapist who later assaulted her younger sister. The sibling was played by Hemingway's 14-year-old sister Mariel.  It was Mariel, also a first-time actress, who was praised by critics and nominated for a Golden Globe as New Star of the Year (Female). 

Mariel's film career took off, and she received an Academy Award nomination in 1980 for her performance in Woody Allen's 1979 comedy/drama "Manhattan."

Margaux's life took a different direction. She apparently inherited the Hemingway family's predilection for substance abuse and its struggles with mental distress. On July 1, 1996 -- almost 35 years to the day on which her grandfather killed himself -- she was found dead of a massive drug overdose.

Her death was ruled a suicide. She was 42 years old. 

`Product Image

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I was working my way through the run of "Cheers" not long ago, and I watched the episode "Relief Bartender".  Often when going through the episodes I'd find myself looking up the actors and seeing what they did later.  I looked up the little child actress in that episode and found out that she was murdered when she was ten years old.  Made me depressed.

Judith Barsi:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0058279/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bobby Driscoll 1950.jpg

Robert Cletus Driscoll (March 3, 1937 – c. March 30, 1968) was an American child actor and artist, known for his film and TV performances from 1943 to 1960. He starred in some of the Walt Disney Studios' best known live-action pictures of that period, such as Song of the South (1946), So Dear to My Heart (1949), The Window (1949) and Treasure Island (1950). Most notably, he served as the animation model and provided the voice for the title role in Peter Pan (1953). He received an Academy Juvenile Award for outstanding performance in two feature films released in 1949, for his roles in So Dear to My Heart and The Window.

In the mid-1950s, Driscoll's acting career began to decline, and he turned primarily to guest appearances on anthology TV series. He became addicted to narcotics and was sentenced to prison for illicit drug use.

After his release, he focused his attention on the avant-garde art scene. In ill health due to his substance abuse, and with his funds depleted, his body was discovered on March 30, 1968, in an abandoned building in the East Village of Manhattan.

See also @ 6:00 - Hollywood Graveyard 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wlejoWezH4

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cinecrazydc said:

Bobby Driscoll 1950.jpg

Robert Cletus Driscoll (March 3, 1937 – c. March 30, 1968) was an American child actor and artist, known for his film and TV performances from 1943 to 1960. He starred in some of the Walt Disney Studios' best known live-action pictures of that period, such as Song of the South (1946), So Dear to My Heart (1949), The Window (1949) and Treasure Island (1950). Most notably, he served as the animation model and provided the voice for the title role in Peter Pan (1953). He received an Academy Juvenile Award for outstanding performance in two feature films released in 1949, for his roles in So Dear to My Heart and The Window.

In the mid-1950s, Driscoll's acting career began to decline, and he turned primarily to guest appearances on anthology TV series. He became addicted to narcotics and was sentenced to prison for illicit drug use.

After his release, he focused his attention on the avant-garde art scene. In ill health due to his substance abuse, and with his funds depleted, his body was discovered on March 30, 1968, in an abandoned building in the East Village of Manhattan.

See also @ 6:00 - Hollywood Graveyard 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wlejoWezH4

he was buried in a paupers field because nobody knew who the hell he was. they thought he was just another derelict hepatitis fatality.  to all who knew him it seemed that Bobby Driscoll had fallen of the face of the earth. eventually he was exhumed and identified.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Vidor said:

Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, shot and killed over an argument about $50 relating to a lost dog.

See my post from Monday, $/4 where I also mention 

LEO GORCEY and GEORGE REEVES.

And for the tragic kid actors.......

Sepiatone

• Like 5

Susan_Peters_in_Keep_Your_Powder_Dry.jpg

Susan Peters. She was being groomed for stardom at MGM. She had an Oscar nomination for Random Harvest. She had just received a promotion. And then a stray bullet hit her in a hunting accident in 1945, leaving her bound to a wheelchair. She had a bitter divorce case and lost custody of her son. It made her lose the will to live and she died in 1952, aged 31.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Judy Garland 

Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz

Judy Garland in A Star is Born

On June 22, 1969, Garland's new husband Mickey Deans broke down the locked bathroom door in their London flat and found the star dead; she was 47 years old. Following an autopsy, the coroner officially ruled the star's cause of death to be a self-administered accidental overdose on barbiturates, a then-common sleep aid.

The coroner, Gavin Thurston, announced to the press following the autopsy, “This is quite clearly an accidental circumstance to a person who was accustomed to taking barbiturates over a very long time. She took more barbiturates than she could tolerate.”

Though tragic, it was an outcome that was not entirely unexpected, both for those closest to her and the public—Garland's long-term struggles with addiction had become almost as well known as her legendary singing voice. Garland had a history of depression and alcoholism, and had attempted suicide several times (her third husband, Sid Luft, alleged that she tried to take her own life on at least 20 different occasions) the story of Garland's life played out more like a tragedy than the lighthearted story of a hopeful young woman she so often portrayed on film.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are so many actors/actresses who had tragic lives it would be impossible to name them all. Here are a few that I think of when I hear the phrase 'tragic figure'.....

studio-portrait-of-american-actress-rebe

Rebecca Shaeffer - murdered at age 21 by obsessed fan Robert Bardo 

6a00d83451cb7469e2019b00083124970d-800wi

Silent actor Wallace Reid died trying to get off morphine.  

Bizarre-Los-Angeles-AARON-TYCO-RINGLET-M

Mabel Normand - Died from TB but her life & career were destroyed by the William Desmond Taylor/Fatty Arbuckle/Courtland S. Dines scandals as well as her drug/alcohol use.

r-novarro.jpg

Ramon Novarro - murdered by two hustlers he invited into his home for sex

9b0f06bef75b790defdef84b0dd9c405.jpg

Heather O'Rourke - dead from cardiac arrest caused by septic shock brought on by intestinal stenosis from a bowel blockage at age 12.

1412633919_gone-too-soon-phil-hartman-zo

Phil Hartman - murdered at age 49 by his wife, Brynn.

611_129657781663.jpg

Brandon Lee - died young like his dad (age 28); accidentally shot & killed while filming what would be his break-through film 'The Crow'.

u8ew0zar8bn11.jpg

Albert Dekker - suffered a gruesome death! From BuzzFeed: 'In 1968, after going missing for a few days, his fiancé found him naked and kneeling in his bathroom tub. He was bound by chains, and a noose was wrapped around his neck and hung from a curtain rod. Hypodermic needles were stuck in both of his arms, and slurs were written all over his body with red lipstick. The police ruled it a suicide, which the coroner and press rejected. No further investigation was done, and the official ruling was an "accidental death from auto-erotic asphyxiation." No suspects were found.'

0fba215c35cdf6023d99a56bc924ad41.jpg

Sharon  Tate - she & her unborn child were murdered by the Manson family

jon-erik-hexum-1.jpg

Jon-Erik Hexum - The 'Voyagers' star died at age 26 by shooting himself in the head with a blank gun while in between takes. He was playing Russian Roulette but apparently didn't realize how powerful the prop gun was.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

See my post from Monday, $/4 where I also mention 

LEO GORCEY and GEORGE REEVES.

And for the tragic kid actors.......

Sepiatone

she died from a overdose of pills by being so depressed about no more roles after playing Buffy.

sad. sad. sad.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

she died from a overdose of pills by being so depressed about no more roles after playing Buffy.

sad. sad. sad.

Really, the coroner ruled her overdose as accidental.

But, no accident here----

Sepiatone

On 4/7/2021 at 4:34 PM, cinecrazydc said:

Though tragic, it was an outcome that was not entirely unexpected, both for those closest to her and the public

Re: Judy Garland- But what was truly tragic is Judy's body lay in the basement mortuary a year (or more) because no one would come forward with a final resting place for her.  It's purported Frank Sinatra was appalled when he found out & quickly arranged for a modest mausoleum spot. In 2017, her children had her remains sent to Hollywood Forever Cemetery where a huge memorial was built.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Re: Judy Garland- But what was truly tragic is Judy's body lay in the basement mortuary a year (or more) because no one would come forward with a final resting place for her.  It's purported Frank Sinatra was appalled when he found out & quickly arranged for a modest mausoleum spot. In 2017, her children had her remains sent to Hollywood Forever Cemetery where a huge memorial was built.

Yes, I had heard about that.  She (or rather, her remains) was relocated from New York to Hollywood Forever.   If I am not mistaken, she is in close proximity in Hollywood Forever to her frequent co-star, Mickey Rooney.  

2350433%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

This 1932 oil portrait of Bela Lugosi, portraying a confident, sophisticated, sartorially impressive artist at the peak of his career, hung in the actor's home until his death.

3817fe60e16e5cc7b4aadc14c840de79.jpg

The portrait would remain the same but the increasingly destitute, narcotics addicted actor would dramatically change over the years. Even after his splendid return performance as Dracula in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein in 1948 there was no demand for his film services and the final projects of his career would be in dire Grade Z Ed Wood productions, with their "so bad they're good" camp appeal today, not the way to recall one of the most famous horror stars of them all.

7f93182fa99d51eea8810c799031d7d8.jpg

1955, in a sanatarium, one year before his death. From the heights to the depths over two decades.

The Lugosi portrait, by the way, was sold at auction in 2004.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

my barber who's shop had dozens of celeb photographs hanging from the walls told me that bela lugosi never, never signed autographs so if somebody has one it is probably worth a fortune.

Comic Review: Dracula - Broke Horror Fan

• Like 1

Pete DUEL  (1940-1971)   

Pete Duel PictureThe Pete Duel Story | Nostalgia CentralPete Duel Photos, Gallery 11

Born on 24 February 1940 in Rochester, New York, Pete Duel moved to West Hollywood in 1963 following a tour with the National Road Company's "Take Her, She's Mine". After landing small guest spots on various TV series, Pete was cast in a recurring role alongside Sally Field on Gidget (1965) in 1965. The series only lasted one season but Pete was immediately cast in another Columbia Screen Gems comedy series Love on a Rooftop (1966) with Judy Carne. The series gained good reviews but was once again canceled after one season. Pete then signed a seven-year contract with Universal Studios in July 1967. Guest spots and movie roles followed and, in 1970, he was offered the part of Hannibal Heyes on a comedy Western pilot Alias Smith and Jones: Alias Smith and Jones (1971), loosely based on the 1969 hit movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969). The pilot was sold to the ABC network and a series was commissioned. The series was a big hit with the youth audience and Duel became subject matter for teen magazines, gaining a loyal following. When news of his sudden death by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound was reported on TV and radio on December 31st 1971, it came as a shock to his family and friends. Early suspicion of foul play soon gave way to evidence pointing to death by suicide with depression and serious alcohol problems seen as contributing factors. Following a memorial service at the Self-Realization Temple in California on January 2nd 1972, Pete's body was flown to Penfield, New York. He was buried in Oakwood Cemetery following a memorial service at Penfield Baptist Church.

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 8:38 AM, cinecrazydc said:

Yes, I had heard about that.  She (or rather, her remains) was relocated from New York to Hollywood Forever.   If I am not mistaken, she is in close proximity in Hollywood Forever to her frequent co-star, Mickey Rooney.  

Where was Liza, her daughter thru all this? Why didn't she take responsibility for her Mom's remains?

• Thanks 1

So many tragic actor/actress deaths:

Colin Clive- very talented actor yet a tormented soul. Died of pulmonary tuberculosis and alcoholism at 37

Ross Alexander-Warner Bros actor died of suicide at 29

Charles Emmett Mack -tragically killed in an auto accident on his way to film a scene for "The First Auto". He was 26

Barbara Lamarr- "The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful" died at 29 of tuberculosis

Alma Rubens-died at 33 of hepatitis brought on by her continued drug use

Jeff Chandler-died at 42 after complications from surgery for a spinal disc

Judy Tyler-died at 24 in an auto accident soon after completing  "Jailhouse Rock" with Elvis Presley

Susan Ball-first she lost a leg to cancer then died of the disease a year later. She was only 21

Robert Walker-died at 32 after being given a sedative after an emotional outburst. He had been drinking and the combination of alcohol and the sedative killed him. 

Jack Pickford-died at 36 from the alcohol, drugs and fast life he led. 

Marjorie White-died at 31 in an auto accident

Phillips Holmes-killed in a mid air collision while in the Canadian Air Force.  He was 35.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Where was Liza, her daughter thru all this? Why didn't she take responsibility for her Mom's remains?

In most cases, the surviving spouse (in this case, Mickey Deans)  is the next of kin and responsible for making arrangements.  

Here's what I found:

Garland’s burial was left up to Mickey Deans (her children “had no say in the matter”) who announced earlier that morning that his wife’s body would be interred at Ferncliff Cemetery in Hartsdale, a small town approximately twenty-five miles north of New York City. “I didn’t want to bury her in Hollywood, to have people walking over her grave and pointing,” he told reporters. “She has given enough. Anyway, they didn’t care in Hollywood. She was just a property and they used her as such.”

However, Sid Luft, Garland’s third husband would rather that his ex-wife be buried in Los Angeles, feeling it was where she became a star. But Deans felt that she would have preferred a cemetery on the East Coast since she reportedly was never fond of California.

The cemetery is the final resting place of many celebrities, including Jerome Kern, Basil Rathbone and Moss Hart. The wing that would contain Garland’s planned memorial was still being built, so until then, her body was placed in a temporary vault. Ferncliff’s manager had assured Mickey Deans that “Judy would be its greatest star.” However, to pay for the memorial, Deans needed to raise $37,500, hoping to get it from Garland’s family and friends. But by November 1970, he still had not raised the funds and Garland remained in a drawer with the nameplate: “Judy Garland DeVinko” (Mickey Deans real name).

Note: According to current day sources, Garland's estate was worth $40,000 at her death (in 1969 dollars), so paying for the memorial out of her estate was not feasible.

Deans was desperate. The fact that Garland was still in a temporary crypt evidently bothered him. “It’s wrong. It’s very wrong,” he would say. He hoped to raise the money by writing a book about his time with Garland (the book’s advance would cover Garland’s burial and more), but unfortunately Deans was not a writer, so he approached author Anne Edwards, who was working on her first non-fiction book, a biography of Garland. Deans suggested that they collaborate; he was sure it would be a best-seller. Naturally, Edwards refused his request, believing that Deans had created these “appalling” circumstances that he was in, himself. “I did not hesitate in telling him that I would in no way consider collaborating with him on a book,” Edwards stated.

Meanwhile, Garland’s interment bill at Ferncliff was still outstanding—plus steep interest charges. At the time, Edwards was corresponding with crooner Frank Sinatra about his memories of Garland. In one letter, she mentioned the “state of affairs at Ferncliff” with Garland still reposing in storage.

Then, several weeks later, Ferncliff’s manager informed Edwards that Sinatra had paid Garland’s outstanding bill, and that “Mrs. DeVinko” would be given a proper burial. Within weeks, Garland was placed in a simple wall crypt on the second floor of the new wing of the mausoleum with the simple inscription: “Judy Garland 1922 – 1969.” At Sinatra’s request, Edwards did not disclose that information in her biography.

Mickey Deans passed away in 2003, so after that, Garland's children were able to move her remains without interference.

Source:  http://allanellenberger.com/judy-garland-her-death-and-afterlife/

• Thanks 2

Apparently no one has mentioned Richard Burton, though he is notorious as  the anglo-American star with the greatest gap between genuine talent and actual achievement.

10 hours ago, skimpole said:

Apparently no one has mentioned Richard Burton, though he is notorious as  the anglo-American star with the greatest gap between genuine talent and actual achievement.

From my POV his talent and actual achievements line-up well.  

18 hours ago, skimpole said:

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

From my POV his talent and actual achievements line-up well.  

Richard replies:

ae31d9984bff46c1a789af8601102c03.jpg

"Yes, and besides, EVERY actor has an Exorcist II somewhere in their filmography!"

(...and, least we forget that the ol' boy WAS nominated seven times of an Oscar, and so I'd say his career couldn't even begin to be thought of as lacking achievement, and even though winning one would elude him...the REAL tragedy here is that he drank himself into an early grave and like so many other leading men have and had done, like Holden, and like Flynn, and like......)